Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zoony Bin: The official '15 offseason Twitter thread, Whine room now open serving Francis Copious Speculation Cab, Lavar buffet Incl., tips included

SWFLSkins

It's legit. He wrote a letter to his parents during training camp last year saying he was going to have a short career. It's been on his mind since he was drafted.

Plus, let's be honest. Some of the poorest areas of the country are some of the most talented and rich in football culture, from high school through college, that isn't changing. For a ton of kids out there, it's the only potential path to wealth there is.

Thanks I did not know that.. Makes you wonder when exactly he knew he would be a one and done, and did SF know it as well.

Someone should start a "wine" thread. (or a good cheap wine thread). I'm always looking to try new wines. If they're cheap, anyway ☺

satisfies both criteria...

1_120178750_3.jpg

Translate dollars to days in your life... one day can be worth $1,037,436. IMO

I'll give you tomorrow in exchange for $1,037,436. Let me know if it was worth it.

But I get your point and agree

The trick is to find a great "table wine." I have had the great pleasure of drinking many Grand Cru's but seem to come home to the working man's common growth. Think of Abruzzo, Palermo, Tuscany, Lyon/Provence...I can snob out on this subject, but today I seek great bottles, from the earth, around $15 to $20 a bottle...OR LESS!!! ;)

Love me some Malbec btw...

This is a good read for people thinking Scott drafts BPA. If he goes with the Ron Wolf method which is how he was taught its more BPA for need and not BPA.

I don't understand what people mean by "BPA for need". If you're not drafting BPA, isn't everyone drafting for need. I mean, you're not going to take the WORST player at a position of need. So, pretty much, you're either drafting BPA or you're drafting for need.

I don't know what the other option would be.

...There's just something about a calculating and efficient WR that makes everyone's life easier....

Not to mention, likely a longer career.

I hate to be cynical but SF is heading to the basement fast.. I wonder how long this "retirement" may last..  I truly understand the concern, but this one seems different.

Locker, and two great LBs from San Fran.  It's possible that Patrick Willis' retirement affected Borland, or that they spoke about it.

Who knows. 

I don't understand what people mean by "BPA for need". If you're not drafting BPA, isn't everyone drafting for need. I mean, you're not going to take the WORST player at a position of need. So, pretty much, you're either drafting BPA or you're drafting for need.

Not to mention, likely a longer career.

Locker, and two great LBs from San Fran. It's possible that Patrick Willis' retirement affected Borland, or that they spoke about it.

Who knows.

He denied PW's retirement have any factor in his decision. He mentioned his two know concussions and research on the effects of football on health as his reasons.

White could be a beast, but he's very raw and runs terrible routes--that's the main reason people were surprised how fast he ran the 40, it doesn't show up most of the time because he's an inefficient route runner, he wastes movement. He can learn to fix that and be a beast, but Cooper is already a beast in his own right. Cooper is can't-miss, White could miss even though he might have a higher ceiling.

It's interesting, 'cause we arguably need a big outside receiver as well as a slot guy - I get the impression Cooper could handle both. At the same time, we have Jackson and Garçon for probably another couple of years, so a guy like White would have time to develop and possibly reach that (potentially) higher ceiling.

White could be a beast, but he's very raw and runs terrible routes--that's the main reason people were surprised how fast he ran the 40, it doesn't show up most of the time because he's an inefficient route runner, he wastes movement. He can learn to fix that and be a beast, but Cooper is already a beast

This has been my asessment after watchinv bith guys last year. Cooper may not be a freak of nature, but I still think he will be a very good player at the next level.

Yeah, White is the sorta the anti-...White (Roody).

Falcons got their Cooper in White, then several years later drafted their White in Jones.  That's quite the 1-2 punch.

I guess it sorta depends on who we're keeping beyond this year of DJax and Garcon.  If it's DJax, I'd want Cooper.  Deep threat + polished young route runner = dangerous corps.  Alternatively, if we're keeping Garcon...I'd probably still want Cooper, since neither DJax nor Garcon is likely here in 3-4 years, but White makes decent sense in that case.

Still, White is the kind of guy I'd prefer to draft later in the 1st after we've established the team itself, and a guy like Cooper, as a threat in the league.

We're going by what he specifically said in his introductory press conference and radio appearance afterwards---pure BPA through round 4, factor in need in rounds 5-7.

Yes but the definition of BPA does not necessarily mean it's a pure BPA. Based on his roots and what's he's done before BPA means best player taking into account the relative ratings of players available to draft with what you already have on your roster. That's not drafting based on need, but it is taking account of your existing roster.

So when you rate the draft eligible players you build a vertical ranking. The list then gives you a BPA list. Then you build a horizontal ranking of those same players relative to your existing roster. Then when you draft if the BPA on your vertical list is not better than what you already have that position (factoring in age and contract status etc) you move on to the next guy in your vertical ranking.

It is factoring in 'need' but it's also not drafting on need by zeroing in on specific positions. You know like taking 3 big receivers in one round ...

Ken Fang @fangsbites 28m28 minutes ago

Was DC NFL Team GM Bruce Allen responsible for canceling Man Cave radio show on team-owned station before it aired? http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/whats-behind-move-to-pull-plug-on-the-man-cave/2015/03/16/49692a50-cc20-11e4-a2a7-9517a3a70506_story.html?postshare=6531426552448659 

Skins Squad @SkinsSquad 16m16 minutes ago

.@RunPassScore @ProFootballTalk the saying goes, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you." Frankly, JReid bit the hand clear off the bone.

Skins Squad @SkinsSquad 24m24 minutes ago

This line by @ProFootballTalk explains why I'm not surprised by the Man Cave getting cut.

CAS3GWgWEAA5m3L.jpg

Frankly, when you consider the quality and depth of the Skins roster, and think about the impact of today's free-agency system's pricey contracts and then couple that with cap constraints -- maybe going BPA in the draft can't help but be addressing some kind of 'need.' Because sometimes it's not always a current need; to have a long-term successful franchise one needs to consider preparing for the future as well.

In my opinion, even the current Skins roster can use upgrades at most every position, especially when you consider that many of the draft picks will still need to be developed before they reach NFL level. So in two years, how many of the current Redskins are you sure will still be on the Redskins roster? Assuming Williams and Kerrigan stay injury-free, those seem to me to to be the only two certain 'core-Skins' but you know they'll cost a bundle. So where would you find replacements for the other non-core players that are suddenly going to cost big dollars to retain?

We as fans tend to be focused about the current needs of the team, but a good GM might also need to be thinking about future needs within a coherent strategy for a balanced salary structure. In the past, the Skins used to approach free agency (and trading away draft picks for aging stars) relying on that old "The Future is Now" philosophy; the result was that the Skins quickly wound up in 'Cap Hell' with lots of dead money on the books.

So maybe BPA is a way to develop quality depth (under affordable rookie contracts) who can step up and minimize the need for costly replacement free agents in the future? Maybe the Future isn't always Now.

I hadn't even thought of that press conference until now.  Allen does kind of make more sense than Snyder. 

Credit given where credit due,,, Hey I took Journalism and have some ethics.....Rexxy with the Sexy tweet....

I don't want Rexx to miss this on the past page....

Just wanted Rexx to get the credit he deserved for that tweet. 

Thanks man really appreciate the love. Also thanks so much for the tireless efforts and selfless job you guys do to keep this thread up and running. Seems like so many of us act as if this thread is your 9-5 and it's just "supposed" to be done. But a lot of us do realize that this thread takes a LOT of dedication to keep up, constant up dates and input, not easy. Again, honored by the retweet and thank you.

For the past 3 days I've been trying to convey this EXACT same concept here so good luck.

This is a good read for people thinking Scott drafts BPA. If he goes with the Ron Wolf method which is how he was taught its more BPA for need and not BPA.

Not true. They compare the BPA to the player/players they have on their roster.

There's a big difference between doing that and drafting for need.

Archived