Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zoony Bin: The official '15 offseason Twitter thread, Whine room now open serving Francis Copious Speculation Cab, Lavar buffet Incl., tips included

SWFLSkins

Justin Byram @Justin_Byram 6m6 minutes ago

The #Redskins head into 2015 w/ 3 QBs on contract years. The QB position may have zero familiar faced in 2016.

Redskins Off Season @Chris_Worthy_ 15m15 minutes ago

Hardy, Crabtree, Gresham, Wisniewski, Foster, still looking for new homes in FA

Adam Carriker @AdamCarriker94 51s52 seconds ago

I just found out recently that 2 members of my immediate family have cancer & one them had surgery today. Please keep them in your prayers.

Colt was signed as an insurance policy in case someone gets injured.  Redskins probably just want him under contract at least through OTAs and didnt want other QB needy teams taking him before we got through the draft.  It doesn't mean hes gonna start or even be on the team when the season starts.  Smart organizations dont cut ties with anyone until they know for sure theyve got a replacement lined up.

@Justin_Byram Great write up. I will say, if he could tackle, & no shoulder concerns, he's a top 5 pick, IMO.

@RedskinsCult @Justin_Byram where is projected to go? Can't tackle, for a safety, that's a red flag.

@johnnylocal @Justin_Byram 2-4th round

@johnnylocal @RedskinsCult @Justin_Byram He'd have to go to a scheme that playes cover 1 and really gets after the QB

I just realized yesterday was 5 years since Bubba passed away, RIP Bubba

wow seems like yesterday, so sad. What an institution on this board. RIP Bubba. 

@DavidJBohm @johnnylocal @RedskinsCult Would fit how Seattle ran D. SS who plays like a LB in Johnson, press corners in Breeland/Cully

@DavidJBohm @johnnylocal @RedskinsCult shoot the gap pressure the QB up front in Barry's system, a centerfielder in the backend (Holliman)

@Justin_Byram @johnnylocal @RedskinsCult Maybe that's why they've been interested in hybrid LB/S like Mays. Barry's or Scot's D scheme? LOL

CLE offered that 1st to Kelly for Bradford per sources. And people still think WAS couldn't have moved RG3 for a 1st? Not buyin' it.

Not sure I understand Czabe's point here. I guess he's insinuating that Bradford's value greatly outweighs RG3's at this point? Ehh not so sure about that.

I think hes saying the opposite actually.  He's saying we could have traded him if we wanted to, but we didnt want to

Not sure I understand Czabe's point here. I guess he's insinuating that Bradford's value greatly outweighs RG3's at this point? Ehh not so sure about that.

Yeah, he is saying they could indeed get a the least a first, if Cle was offering it to the Eagles. 

My question would be why not make that deal? Could immediately package #19 and #20, a 2nd and a 2016 1st for Mariotta.

My guess is that some other team, higher up, is also interested in Bradford, and would serve as a better spring point for #5.

I would think the Jets, though anyone between 6-9 works too.  They've been tied to trade downs, but also to Mariota.  Trade #20, Bradford, and something else (but small) for #6, then use #6 as a jumping off point to #5 if they don't call our bluff.  From #6 to #5, they can probably make that jump with just their 2nd, even that would be over paying, but say it's a 1st, 3rd, and Bradford for #6 (Jets REALLY want Bradford), and a 2nd to move to #5, they spend three picks and Bradford to move up, but retain their 1st rounders next year and beyond.  The damage is minimized beyond 2014, and seeing as they had a Snyderload of money to burn (and burn they did), they can build for this year and do longer term building in later years.

Bubba9497 was the guy who "brought" me to ES as a lurker in 2003. I was in WA state and only posting on the 'skins (for the first time in my life) on the WaPo's little forum (where I first met future ES'ers zoony & Visionary). It was his news forum that got me hanging around. Never had I seen such a wealth of Redskins info at one stop, especially living my life west of the Rockies. After a year of reading the threads, I decided to join. Bubba was the best. We had some great PM conversations and he was a deep (and very caring) guy in many ways. He's someone I can say I literally loved as a fellow ES'er. One of a kind and I'll always think of him. RIP mi amigo. And thank you.

According to who?  Certainly not the Seahawks. Just because Mel Kiper and Todd McShay say it was a reach doesn't mean other teams feel that way.  For all we know (which isn't much) 20 teams had Irvin as a mid 1st round grade.

It wasn't a stretch like the media made it out to be.  I shouldn't have used that comparison at all.  

According to sources, what we do know about that pick/draft is that there were 7 teams that said they had Irvin on their boards as first round talent.  It was also rumored that the 49ers called him early in the first round and told him if he falls to their pick (#30) they would be taking him.  So that's two teams we know of (Seahawks and 49ers).  The other five could be teams that picked after #15 or it could be teams that picked before #15, or a mix of both.  That we will never know.

What we don't know is that while those 7 teams had him graded as first round talent, where he landed overall on their lists.  They could have very well held him in the same regards as Seattle, or they could have had other DEs or other players at other positions ahead of him, or equal to his grade.

That aside, the point I was getting at, was for Seattle (John, Scot and Co.) they had him as the best available player based on their BPA rankings.  So, when it comes to the #5 pick and we are up, it shouldn't be a shocker if we took say Scherff, Beasly, etc. instead of Cooper or Mariota.  It all depends on where their final grades land and how close their grades are.  Again, going back to the article Martin posted, they have a horizontal BPA list and do take into factor current roster when faced with a position that drops to them they may be stacked at.

Example:  Scot and staff dish out these grades to the following players:  Cooper 7.20, Gregory 7.15, Beasley 7.10 Mariota 7.00, Scherff 7.00, Ray 7.00

Assume the first 4 picks in the draft are Winston, Leonard Williams, Fowler and White and we are up.  Clearly the best BPA would be Cooper (vertical board), on the horizontal board, they are going to look at current roster (DJax, Garcon, Roberts, etc.) and make a decision is taking Cooper now the best long term and is the .05 difference in him and Gregory worth taking him now.  They could take either 

OR

They may also look to trade back, factoring in if they would be satisfied landing any one of the remaining top players in place of Cooper and knowing other teams may take a couple more off their list.  So, assume they do trade back and now Cooper is gone, Mariota is gone and Gregory.  But the others are left when they pick (this is all hypothetical - not saying we traded back to the #8 or 9 spot).

So its now Beasley, Scherff and Ray all with similar grades.  They could very well decide that Scherff is worthy of the pick and the 0.1 difference in grade between him and Beasley isn't that big of a factor, based on the current roster with o-line being in the worst shape of the two.

Again, it all goes down to their final grades and who falls/is available when we pick.  If they want to trade back, etc.  Just trying to make the argument that OT/OG isn't a stretch, even at #5.  Granted, if we don't trade back, I'd expect a pass rusher at #5.  Purely my guess.

That's the exact same reason I started coming to ES . Its still the reason I stay. I was kicked off once for stating my opinion a lil to strong . Now I keep my thoughts mostly to my self and enjoy the arguments between others lol

That's the exact same reason I started coming to ES . Its still the reason I stay. I was kicked off once for stating my opinion a lil to strong . Now I keep my thoughts mostly to my self and enjoy the arguments between others lol

Archived