Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zoony Bin: The official '15 offseason Twitter thread, Whine room now open serving Francis Copious Speculation Cab, Lavar buffet Incl., tips included

SWFLSkins

Contracts must have been a lot different back in the day.  Personal services contract with the owner?  By-gone era indeed.

Sammy Baugh’s celebrity status off the field in Washington resulted in him agreeing to a separate personal services contract with Redskins owner George Preston Marshall. Yet, Baugh still needed a player’s contract so Marshall signed him to a deal that paid the star quarterback just $1. - See more at: http://www.profootballhof.com/history/2005/1/1/3005/#sthash.j0X1GsLE.dpuf

Did you read Martin's article he posted a couple of pages back?  

Yes I read it, great read But I was already aware of the points he made. I'm not naive enough to think there aren't variations there. That's understood and has been from day 1. What I was trying to get you and people of your same thinking to understand was the basic concept of BPA vs Need Drafting. Once you understood the difference between the two then and only then could we have a conversation about the different variations of one or the other. My main point was to say you must 1st understand the difference between the two.

Not sure I understand Czabe's point here. I guess he's insinuating that Bradford's value greatly outweighs RG3's at this point? Ehh not so sure about that.

Czaben has expressed that he thinks RG3's trade value is much higher than some people think.  I agree with him for the most part.  When I see the opinions that Robert could at best yield a 4th round pick, I want to laugh.

Yeah, he is saying they could indeed get a the least a first, if Cle was offering it to the Eagles. 

Well, the fact they're trying to shop a first for a QB, means that they're unlikely to jump and trade both for a QB as they're looking for some vet. With Kyle out of there, who knows if after rejection from Kelly regarding this trade they haven't contacted the Washington Redskins, knowing our situation at QB and tried to trade #19 for Robert or Kirk?

If they're up to trade a 1st for Bradford, they could go for the same for Griffin, and we may likely press the trade button. Maybe it's even already written but not spoken off until draft day.

Pure guess from my side, but considering this story that seems pretty likely to me. You just don't go out try something like that, and then say "oh well no matter... Let's do something else" if it fail. You'll mostly try again. Maybe they tried Kaep, Brees? Who knows...

.@dcsportsbog wonders if the mess with the Redskins, ESPN 980 and Jason Reid is vindictiveness or incompetence? http://wapo.st/1GYW89s 

Yes.

Jason's incompetence is exactly what it is about.    Dan got it right, though I suspect he doesn't know where the incompetence lies.   Being as close to the story as he is, of course.

I know he reads here and may read this, but, I can say I have always liked Dan.   I always will.   I find him largely charming and funny and fun.   I'm glad he does what he does and hope he keeps doing it.   But, on this, blind defense of a friend is pretty pathetic waste of time and space.   That's not a badge of honor either.   I bet he knows it.

I mean if Bradford is worth a mid-first round pick (and I still have doubts Cleveland would really send # 19), then you'd think Griffin could fetch at least that.

Bradford is in the last year of his contract under the old CBA (which means lot of $$$). He's older and never had a year as good as Griffin's best. They both have injury problems, but at least Griffin is under a more reasonable salary with still one option year left. By virtually any measure, Griffin seems better. Unless Cleveland really loved Bradford and only Bradford, there seems to be some potential QB market out there.

Czaben has expressed that he thinks RG3's trade value is much higher than some people think. I agree with him for the most part. When I see the opinions that Robert could at best yield a 4th round pick, I want to laugh.

No, you should laugh at the Browns if they truly offered a first for Bradford.

Don't worry about Scot.. What you should be worried about is Jay Gruden begging for scrubs to stay around on offense

@HTTR24_7 Chester the Molester?

@theMMQB: 'How To Win Free Agency: Don’t Play', from @SI_PeterKing http://wp.me/p3Dw81-aUT  ” Very good read.

CAU3th9UkAAVPV2.jpg

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer  4h4 hours ago
Why would teams roll the dice with Greg Hardy? He's 26 years old, 27 sacks in his last 29 games. Guys like that aren't available much. ...

Burgundy Blog ‏@BurgundyBlog  Mar 16
I would prefer Greg Hardy not be in my division.

HTTR!

Signing Crabtree (to a cheap-ish deal) has got to eliminate a drafting of Cooper. Cooper or Crabtree would be your #4 WR ... and unless we planned on running 4 WR sets all the time ...

So ... I'm and RGIII guy and think he can genuinely turn it around and be a superstar again in this league. I just think he has that "it" factor. But if GMSM really doesn't think he's the long-term solution, then I trust his judgment. If the Browns are willing to give up #19 for Bradford, I would bet that they'd be willing to give up a 2016 1st round pick for Griffin along with maybe a 3rd in 2015.

Roll with Cousins, hope the Browns+Skins pair of 1st rounders next year is enough to move up for a QB next year if Cousins can't make it happen.

Personally, if it were me receiving that call from Cleveland, I'd hedge my bets on Griffin and turn it down. I would try to get them to take Cousins instead. I would play the odds that if either QB is going to succeed, it's going to be Griff. And if it's not Griff, I'd rather go into the future with a GMSM picked QB than with Cousins.

...I know in the press conference he said, BPA rounds 1-4, then pure need the rest.  

Is that what he said? I thought he said after 1-4 was BPA and then you can start to target players the rest of the draft. Which still wouldn't be drafting for need it would be targeting for value.

Is that what he said? I thought he said after 1-4 was BPA and then you can start to target players the rest of the draft. Which still wouldn't be drafting for need it would be targeting for value.

I read the same about 1-4 was BPA and needs 5-7 but can't find the article that was from.  It's been a while so I could have it backwards also.

Signing Crabtree (to a cheap-ish deal) has got to eliminate a drafting of Cooper. Cooper or Crabtree would be your #4 WR ... and unless we planned on running 4 WR sets all the time ...

I don't think Crabtree takes a WR off the board in the 1st or 2nd, just like I don't think Knighton takes a NT off the board in the 1st or 2nd.

I don't think it's how Clou operates, and I think it's more a notion of wanting to get sound via free agency first to allow BPA to actually be able to be used.

Let's say you get Crabtree. Chances are it's a 1 or 2 year deal with a low guarantee.

If you take Cooper, then perhaps that leaves Andre Roberts to potentially be cut. OR, you keep Cooper and bring everyone to camp. If Crabtree flames out in camp, cutting him likely doesn't hurt because he's at a low guarantee. If he works out, and Roberts still looks good, then you simply have a very solid and deep WR corp this year from your #1 to potentially your #6 (with Grant).

In that scenario, next year likely see's you parting way with either Jackson or Garcon, and either Crabtree or Roberts. With Cooper stepping up in year 2 as a starter.

Where a Crabtree signing likely filters in is if Clou has Cooper and an OLB rated the same, he may be more apt to give the nod to the OLB. But if he has Cooper well ahead of them, I still think he's the pick.

I definitely miss Bubba. Hasn't been the same without him.

ATN has never recovered ever since as far as I'm concerned. Fortunately for us, though, Hap made sure there was no drop off in the Breaking News Forum. 

So ... I'm and RGIII guy and think he can genuinely turn it around and be a superstar again in this league. I just think he has that "it" factor. But if GMSM really doesn't think he's the long-term solution, then I trust his judgment. If the Browns are willing to give up #19 for Bradford, I would bet that they'd be willing to give up a 2016 1st round pick for Griffin along with maybe a 3rd in 2015.

Roll with Cousins, hope the Browns+Skins pair of 1st rounders next year is enough to move up for a QB next year if Cousins can't make it happen.

So you give up a (potential) franchise QB in exchange for the need to spend everything you gained to move up to draft another (potential) franchise QB? Hoping that said (potential) franchise QB will be made available to you to draft. Which also means that you cannot spend your draft picks wisely on BPA, because you HAVE top spend said picks on a position of need. I don't like it

Personally, if it were me receiving that call from Cleveland, I'd hedge my bets on Griffin and turn it down. I would try to get them to take Cousins instead. I would play the odds that if either QB is going to succeed, it's going to be Griff. And if it's not Griff, I'd rather go into the future with a GMSM picked QB than with Cousins.

It will not eliminate anyone. Everyone is in contention. BPA. If Scot has Cooper has #1 when we are on the clock, bet your ass thats who he is going to draft.

I agree.

Just pointing out that today, Scot is building for the future.

One point I don't see discussed very much. This team has quickly went from fielding one of the oldest rosters in the league week in week out to now fielding one of the youngest right now. Youth infusion and on the surface appear to be very quality signings. Gone are the days of aging, overpaid, underperforming vets trotting out there week to week putting forth the embarrassment we've all grown to call Redskins football. With a competent FO hopefully the fans, the media, and the entire league recognize a new and improved brand of Redskins Football "Coming to a Field Near You" lol.

One main negative I see about the youth movement and the lack of vets is the locker room leadership or lack there of. With a bunch of young guys in the locker room this will be a great test of Jay Gruden's leadership because now he doesn't have a Ryan Clark or a Santana Moss to fall back on. He will have to rely on younger leaders in the locker room and it will be up to him as head coach to lead them in the right direction. Here's to hoping he gets it done. If not, SM seems like he has a "next man up" mentality which is a great thing.

Chester the Molester.... more like Chester the Molested

Or Best Western Chester, providing comfort, relaxation, and free breakfast in the backfield

CLASSIC :lol:  :lol:  :lol: . . . . . . . . . still kinda sad tho. Truth hurts sometimes.

So you give up a (potential) franchise QB in exchange for the need to spend everything you gained to move up to draft another (potential) franchise QB? Hoping that said (potential) franchise QB will be made available to you to draft. Which also means that you cannot spend your draft picks wisely on BPA, because you HAVE top spend said picks on a position of need. I don't like it

Well yeah, but the idea is that you trade someone else's vision of a franchise QB for the opportunity to build a team in 2015 and, possibly under a new coach (or not) ... get Scot McCloughan's version of a franchise QB in 2016.

If Washington ends up with the 12th and 14th picks in the draft via Cleveland and Skins ... those two could be packaged to move up for a QB. But I see what you're saying. 

Or you could just get an extra 1st round pick in 2016 to use to keep building the team and maybe take a 2nd or 3rd round flyer on guy with upside ... 

Archived