Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zoony Bin: The official '15 offseason Twitter thread, Whine room now open serving Francis Copious Speculation Cab, Lavar buffet Incl., tips included

SWFLSkins

But if you draft the BPA in an area of need it's like the best of both worlds! Sorry joking. :lol:

What if you could trade down, draft the best player available who also is in an area of need AND save money by switching to geico right after receiving your state farm safe driver check?

I hate to be cynical but SF is heading to the basement fast.. I wonder how long this "retirement" may last..  I truly understand the concern, but this one seems different.

I don't care about the letter to his parents, yes he may have been thinking about it. But a 24 yr. old can change their minds in a hurry. 

Save The Date: 1st Annual DeSean Jackson Foundation Celebrity Golf Event http://wp.me/p2ILib-8PU  via @GeeJackson10 @DeSeanJackson11 @Redskins

#HTTR 1f340.png

CAS-rZOUkAEHEI9.jpg

Happy St. Patricks day, don't forget to wear your orange, and get into a fight.

Part of me wonders if the Cooper thing is an intentional leak as well, as a back-up plan to Mariotta not being there at #5, though the Cooper talk seems to be a lot more mum, under the radar, and "insider fan talk" verse the outright smoke-screen tactics of the national media leaks ... But hear me out ...

We talk up Mariotta to ensure that A) someone trades ahead of us and pushes everyone else down one spot. B ... if Mariotta falls to us, there's the sense that we are interested, which could prompt some calls from down the line to trade up with us. 

We hint at some interest in Cooper ... hoping that if Mariotta doesn't fall and the player we really want still isn't there at #5, the interest in Cooper, presumably after the Raiders go White, gives teams behind us craving a WR impetus to trade up for Cooper.

In both instances, I'm picturing the Browns ... who I think most on here hope we can "play the fool." If Mariotta is gone at #2 ... presumably to a team that trades up or the Titans ... the Browns might feel as though they have to roll with Manziel (or a mid-round player to compete with him). They are also desperate to get some WR help ... and trading up from #12 for Cooper could be a Plan B for them to get Manziel and whoever else they'll have at QB to help bolster their growth...

I wonder if the Browns would give us #12 and a 2nd + 4th to move up for Cooper. They might feel they have flexibility with the #19 pick to get it done while also attaining a higher pick for other issues. Or maybe, in a move many on here would support, the trade-up would give us #12 and maybe a player (FS Gipson). Skins still end up with one pick per round, but trade down to #12 where BPA might be an OL and get their FS of the future in Gipson. Just a thought.

Or we roll with Cooper, which I'm pretty intrigued by anyway, and build the OL and DBs through the rest of the draft.

And to further complicate everything ... maybe we could work out a deal that sends #12 to us along with Tashaun Gipson ... and we send them #5 (Cooper) and Kirk Cousins. In that scenario, though, we'd likely need to get some picks back ... possibly their 2nd or their 3rd+4th. This is a bit of a complicated scenario, but it's kind of fun to think about.

Washington gets: #12, FS Tashaun Gipson, 3rd and 5th 

Cleveland gets: #5, QB Kirk Cousins

So when you rate the draft eligible players you build a vertical ranking. The list then gives you a BPA list. Then you build a horizontal ranking of those same players relative to your existing roster. Then when you draft if the BPA on your vertical list is not better than what you already have that position (factoring in age and contract status etc) you move on to the next guy in your vertical ranking.

It is factoring in 'need' but it's also not drafting on need by zeroing in on specific positions. You know like taking 3 big receivers in one round ...

Yes but the definition of BPA does not necessarily mean it's a pure BPA. Based on his roots and what's he's done before BPA means best player taking into account the relative ratings of players available to draft with what you already have on your roster. That's not drafting based on need, but it is taking account of your existing roster.

Thanks for posting that article on the variations of BPA and what goes into developing those ranks.  It was the point I was trying to get across and failed at.  Granted, I was basing my argument mainly off their previous drafts and how they value skill positions, specifically at WR.  And talking about needs/holes going into his BPA player rankings.

I know in the press conference he said, BPA rounds 1-4, then pure need the rest.  But I was thinking it's still more dynamic (i.e. how the article talks about the horizontal BPA - which is a much better description than I could explain), where if a bunch of top players (at their position) are available at #5 (WR, DE, OLB, QB, OT, etc.) and some are ranked the same or close on his list, I'd think he would pull the trigger on DE/OLB, possibly OT if he had Scherrf ranked high enough on his list.

Quinton Couples was most likely the best DE, (overall and BPA) on the vast majority of teams boards in 2012.  They went with Irvin, who obviously was higher on their BPA list than Couples (and had a mid/low 2nd round draft grade) and Couples went #16 right after to the Jets.  

I shouldn't have said that Scot would be an idiot (or fired) if we take a WR at #5, it was a stupid, trolling comment made out of frustration (and day of drinking :/)  and it not how I truly feel.  The man has been a God send thus far and knows more about building a football team than any of us.  I will not like the move and will think it's a dumb move (timing wise) should we take WR at #5, but I also realize that he needs more than one draft and one FA period to get it fixed.

I just get extremely agitated at the neglect of the o-line (outside of Trent) the past decade.  And I know, that's not on Scot.  It just always seems like we have so many holes/needs/sub-par talent/lack of depth that the o-line gets swept under the rug and filled with 2nd and 3rd string FA cast offs.  

Matt Bowen @MattBowen41 3m3 minutes ago

Landon Collins is a 1st round talent. But could the 'Bama safety be overvalued in the draft? Weak class coming in...http://ble.ac/1CrobNM

Justin Byram @Justin_Byram 5m5 minutes ago

Trying to find out if the #Redskins have made any contact with Jermaine Gresham. Would make a lot of sense w/ the weak TE draft class & his

Blocking ability/ties to gruden

Rich Tandler @Rich_TandlerCSN 8m8 minutes ago

Need to Know How much cap space do the #Redskins need to sign their draft picks? http://wp.me/pAil9-3Ey  #RedskinsTalk

CASoOl7UUAA02EF.png

Washington Redskins @Redskins 8m8 minutes ago

.@DeAngeloHall23 is feeling good after his 5-month checkup | http://redsk.in/18WDH6v 

CATYHcRUQAAd_t4.jpg

Joel Corry retweeted

“There’s no incentive for Bradford to do anything.” Cap expert @corryjoel provides insight into Eagles' $ situation. http://goo.gl/06pkcd

One reason why I could support going WR now v. earlier ... Free Agency hit on quite a few needs ...

1. Amari Cooper, WR Alabama

2. AJ Cann, OG South Carolina

3. Stephone Anthony, ILB Clemson

4. Quentin Rollins, FS Miami (OH)

5. Rob Havenstein, OT Wisconsin

6. Jake Ryan, OLB Michigan

7. Karlos Williams, RB FSU

What's missing? DL ... but I think we bought some time at DL where if it's not BPA we don't HAVE to reach for it. But I would expect some of the UDFA to be DL and DB

Also would expect us to trade back somewhere if not in the 1st to pick up a couple extra picks in the 4th to 6th round range that would allow for us to diversify the impact we make. Still can't see us only emerging with 7 picks, even if that means the 8th pick is for trading Cousins

Understood...By that I mean he plays with a purpose.  A good example of an athlete that plays angry is Russell Westbrook...always in attack mode and just want to be the best player on the court.

HTTR!

I LOVE this about Kevin White to. A good/bad example would be Dez Bryant. White doesn't get pissed off on the sidelines and throw tantrums every game like Dez. But you can see every game that Dez plays with a passion. He plays with a toughness. Cooper is the better/safer pic because of his flawless route running (and if we went WR with the top pick, he should be the pick). But you KNOW White is not going to play scared when the lights come on. He's going to fight for that ball EVERY time. Regardless if our QB gets the ball to him perfectly, he's going to do his best to bring in that pass. Plus he's 6'3.

For the past 3 days I've been trying to convey this EXACT same concept here so good luck.

Did you read Martin's article he posted a couple of pages back?  It discusses in great detail the variations of BPA.  It also looks into how the Seahawks evaluate talent and what goes into it on draft day in the war room.

Basically, after they grade all the players for the draft (which takes a lot of factors in doing so) and establish their BPA list, they have a vertical BPA board, players names listed by grade 1-150.  They have the horizontal board, where they grade for their team, not the league.  And when it comes down to two players that have the same grade they go with need. 

Moving targets on the board.  They also discuss that if a player has a 7.1 grade and a player has a 7.0 grade, and they want to trade back, but there is a chance the player graded 7.1 will be taken before they pick, are they comfortable with the 7.0 grade player or does the 0.1 difference matter that much and they should go ahead and take the 7.1 and not trade back.

It's a good read.  And it is a variation of BPA drafting.  Perhaps Scot didn't feel the need to elaborate on the specifics in his press conference.  Right now, I'd say FS is the one true holes we do not have filled on the team, position wise (not talking about filling it with a current SS or CB).  Going pure need in the draft would mean that we would take the best FS at our pick regardless of who is out there, even if that player has a grade of 5.0 and there are 10-15 players with grades better than his.  

I'm hoping we target Barksdale.  I heard that, like our own Chris Baker, he was getting married this past weekend.  Maybe he's waiting until after the honeymoon to make his visits.

Really thinking when he returns from honeymoon he re-signs with the Rams.

Archived