Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zoony Bin: The official '15 offseason Twitter thread, Whine room now open serving Francis Copious Speculation Cab, Lavar buffet Incl., tips included

SWFLSkins

So to summarize:

27 year old rotational DE: $3m/year

26 year old Starting DE: $5m/year

28 year old Starting NT: $4m/year

26 year old Starting CB: $8m/year

26 year old Starting SS: $2m/year

hell of an off season so far. Just those 4 additions really change the tune of our defense ...

Supplement this with a strong draft and we could get an A if not in many off-season grades, but likely in the "looking back" grades they do after the season ... which we almost never find ourselves on!

I'd be fine with kicking the tires on Goldson, at the right price.

The price might be a sticking point, unfortunately.

Of course, he might be willing to sign for a much more reasonable amount of money now that the Bucs gave him mad money.

I'm glad that the Bucs are pretty much officially what we were in the past, and that we've seemingly moved past that point.

Scot's been doing good work so far.

I'm on board with McCloughan, but I hope ownership and the fanbase will be patient and understanding with this first draft. GMs love having their crew of scouts, and he has already tried to pry former colleagues to join him here. I don't think he thinks too highly of many people in the scouting department.

He's getting crushed publicly for it. If this was a plan, it backfired.

I don't think it was a plan.

JReid is an ass. Snyder found out late, pulled the plug. Wasn't going to pay a guy who's an incompetent,ignorant, boring, pain in the ass. Let somebody else pay him.

And I'm not defending J Reid. I just don't really believe Snyder "found out late" and axed him the day before the show aired. That's too much of a coincidence for me. If people are saying J Reid deserved to get screwed over like this, OK - that's up to you. I just don't agree that because a guy is a jerk, you hire him away from the platform where he expressed his displeasure, then fire him before his job starts. Just don't hire him in the first place (and I just can't believe one of Snyder's most publicized critic was hired without Snyder's knowledge).

I'm on board with McCloughan, but I hope ownership and the fanbase will be patient and understanding with this first draft. GMs love having their crew of scouts, and he has already tried to pry former colleagues to join him here. I don't think he thinks too highly of many people in the scouting department.

I agree. I wish their was more info on our existing department to actually evaluate. I think he will reshape scouting to fit his/our needs, post draft.

So to summarize:

hell of an off season so far. Just those 4 additions really change the tune of our defense ...

Supplement this with a strong draft and we could get an A if not in many off-season grades, but likely in the "looking back" grades they do after the season ... which we almost never find ourselves on!

I hope people are also accepting that Allen played a role in those numbers...I still see the stupid "harvest festival" comments associated with him, as if he's inconsequential now that Scot M is here.

And I'm not defending J Reid. I just don't really believe Snyder "found out late" and axed him the day before the show aired. That's too much of a coincidence for me. If people are saying J Reid deserved to get screwed over like this, OK - that's up to you. I just don't agree that because a guy is a jerk, you hire him away from the platform where he expressed his displeasure, then fire him before his job starts. Just don't hire him in the first place (and I just can't believe one of Snyder's most publicized critic was hired without Snyder's knowledge).

I have zero idea what this story is about, but from what I've been reading in this thread, it is certainly reasonable to assume Snyder knew what was happening with Reid that he was leaving the Post for ESPN 980 and waited until he could cause Reid the most financial stress and life worry before canning him.   Because, well, that's kind of awesome.

Just ask Conan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PQ6335puOc

Snyder just Conan'd Reid.

Not that I suspect Reid's fat, bald, dumb self has a woman, but, well, maybe hookers could count too.

And see, that personal attack stuff is great.  Ain't it.

The issue as I understood it is that the scouts he wants, eg 'his guys', are already in the middle of draft prep for wherever they work now.  I imagine it would be a breach of protocol and involve a lot of burned bridges for him and those staff if they jumped ship before the draft.  So he's resigned to this terrible staff for this year.

Sorry, but you're being too rational for this forum. How anyone doesn't correlate how he conducts business outside of football with how he handles the franchise is not very bright. City Paper, suing the old lady, hiring and firing a guy because he's a "such a meanie"... Yeah, all par for the course at this point with this tool.

The issue as I understood it is that the scouts he wants, eg 'his guys', are already in the middle of draft prep for wherever they work now. I imagine it would be a breach of protocol and involve a lot of burned bridges for him and those staff if they jumped ship before the draft. So he's resigned to this terrible staff for this year.

100% agree. Most of the time when a new GM takes over they wait until right after the draft to overhaul their scouting department. Very curious to see how this all shakes out.

In Scot, I trust!!

(and I just can't believe one of Snyder's most publicized critic was hired without Snyder's knowledge).

I actually can.

For starters, Snyder has a boatload of public critics, guys whose default modes are "Snyder meddles / hates criticism/ 'this sounds like a Dan Snyder move to me'"...it has to all start sounding like white noise to him to an extent. Second, I guarantee you that anyone in Snyder's position has waaaaaaaaaaaay too much on their plate on a daily basis for the hiring of radio personalities to leapfrog to the top...the man has people to take care of that aspect of his businesses and have been given general directives to follow. I know we love blaming any and all flubs and screwups directly to Snyder's decision making, but reality is most likely he has little direct input on things unless they are significant decisions to be made effecting numerous aspects of the business structure.

Can I believe he found out later and insisted Reid be fired? Definitely lol...and Reid is such an arrogant asshole (I've dealt with him directly) that I honestly don't care if that happened to him.

Except there are several guys on 980 that are very critical of the organization. If Snyder really cared about being criticized there'd be zero accounts left on ES.

Except, there was something about Reid's criticism that seemed personal.  Maybe personal's not the right word, but when Czabe or BMitch went off on the team, it never seemed to register.  Reid seemed to go out of his way to be "biting" and harsh.  Maybe because it was obvious he had no real affinity for the team. 

Very possible it went like this:

Reid hired.

Snyder finds out a couple weeks later and says aww hell no. Fix that.

Station says fine but then does nothing.

Week before the show Snyder finds out its still not fixed and says aww hell no. Fix it today.

Station says we are on it but does nothing again.

Snyder fires station manager and Reid.

I actually can.

For starters, Snyder has a boatload of public critics, guys whose default modes are "Snyder meddles / hates criticism/ 'this sounds like a Dan Snyder move to me'"...it has to all start sounding like white noise to him to an extent. Second, I guarantee you that anyone in Snyder's position has waaaaaaaaaaaay too much on their plate on a daily basis for the hiring of radio personalities to leapfrog to the top...the man has people to take care of that aspect of his businesses and have been given general directives to follow. I know we love blaming any and all flubs and screwups directly to Snyder's decision making, but reality is most likely he has little direct input on things unless they are significant decisions to be made effecting numerous aspects of the business structure.

Can I believe he found out later and insisted Reid be fired? Definitely lol...and Reid is such an arrogant asshole (I've dealt with him directly) that I honestly don't care if that happened to him.

Umm, no. In fact, if you study Snyder's career outside and inside of football, you'll realize his biggest flaw is he doesn't know how too identify, hire, and retain executive personnel. If what you say is true, that a man of his stature is waaaay too busy, then it follows that he should have executives working under him that knew hiring JReid wasn't going to fly.

Reid hired.

Week before the show Snyder finds out its still not fixed and says aww hell no. Fix it today.

I actually think this simplification may be spot on.

I actually can.

Except it seems highly dubious that it took this long for him to find out. Nobody expects him to be intimately aware of the wheelings and dealings of the station, but basically, he was the last person in the DMV to know Reid had a show on his station?  lol  I appreciate he might be a busy man, but that little nugget of info probably wouldn't have gotten past him this long. 

Reid hired.

I bet Reid was just as shocked as Snyder when Sapienza presented him with the show.  Probably sounded like a prank. 

I have zero idea what this story is about, but from what I've been reading in this thread, it is certainly reasonable to assume Snyder knew what was happening with Reid that he was leaving the Post for ESPN 980 and waited until he could cause Reid the most financial stress and life worry before canning him.   Because, well, that's kind of awesome.

That's really "awesome" to you?

Maybe something's wrong with me because personally, I think that's a horrible thing to do to someone....

And I'm not a fan of Reid but still.....

Gil Brandt@Gil_Brandt 5m5 minutes ago

Marcus Mariota spend day w/ Jon Gruden recently. Gruden said Mariota reminds him a lot of Russell Wilson. Very positive review.

Hmmmm...

Lets be honest...Gruden is a very positive human XD. He loves every NFL player. I don't take him serious in reviewing player.

I do like him because of that. He has such a positive fun vibe. He is just fun.

Umm, no. In fact, if you study Snyder's career outside and inside of football, you'll realize his biggest flaw is he doesn't know how too identify, hire, and retain executive personnel. If what you say is true, that a man of his stature is waaaay too busy, then it follows that he should have executives working under him that knew hiring JReid wasn't going to fly.

I actually think this simplification may be spot on.

You just backed up what I said lol...

If it's true that Snyder doesn't know how to "identify, hire and retain executive personnel", then the proper organizational structure (and proper personnel to run that structure) would have been missing that would have kept Reid from being hired in the first place.

However, we do have numerous examples of the Redskins doing something boneheaded that there's no way Snyder would have agreed to had he known ahead of time was what being planned.

So to summarize:

Yet that's something interesting of note that tells me that we may finally have turned the corner.

We used to overpay guys to come in here because we were seen as not really competitive in any way, thus guys asked for more to come instead of signing elsewhere.

Now it seems we're getting the guys we want and we're not letting much of them sign elsewhere (if someone as any info of people that visited us but went elsewhere, it would be useful). And we do sign them for not that much, means the guys values football in DC more than money. That's a good sign.

Sure the adding of Scott have a part in it, but I also feel that Jay Gruden and the whole new staff on the defensive side of the ball do its part too.

Except it seems highly dubious that it took this long for him to find out. Nobody expects him to be intimately aware of the wheelings and dealings of the station, but basically, he was the last person in the DMV to know Reid had a show on his station?  lol  I appreciate he might be a busy man, but that little nugget of info probably wouldn't have gotten past him this long.

That would 'splain the timing of the firing, but not the initial hiring, though lol...

Archived