Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zoony Bin: The official '15 offseason Twitter thread, Whine room now open serving Francis Copious Speculation Cab, Lavar buffet Incl., tips included

SWFLSkins

Dan Steinberg @dcsportsbog 49s49 seconds ago

Have heard more Man Cave references on @1067thefandc than on @ESPNRadio980 this morning. JP Flaim says "Dan Snyder killed the show."

Adam Caplan retweeted

Free agent tight end Rob Housler left Atlanta last night without signing a contract with the Falcons

Paul Conner retweeted

Nick Foles “overjoyed he’s out of Philly”: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/11/nick-foles-described-as-overjoyed-hes-out-of-philly/ 

Rich Tandler @Rich_TandlerCSN 24m24 minutes ago

It’s today. RT @Chill_Davon: is Jeron Johnson's interview scheduled for today or was it yesterday?

What about BPA * X% based on need? If you had 5 strong RBs and your pick came up, and PURE BPA was a RB, you would pick him? Thats foolish.

BPA is a flexible strategy and approach, not a hard set algorithm. Sorry dont buy it.

BPA also factors the players on your current team. If the BPA RB is a better player then the RBs you have you draft them. Simple.

If the BPA RB wouldn't be the better then RBs you have then they aren't the BPA on your team so you don't draft them because they're not BPA.

Maybe that helps clear it up.

drafting for need is how Tennessee ended up with Locker and Jax ended up with Gabbert instead of BPA JJ Watt, Robert Quinn or Kerrigan

just the first example that comes to my mind when thinking of recent drafts

You can't say that without knowing what Tenn and Jax's draft board looked like.  You're just assuming that because Watt, Quinn, and Kerrigan turned out to be pretty good that Tenn and Jax must've thrown their draft board and preparation aside and skipped over them to take a QB.  They actually could've liked those QBs more than those defensive players for all we know.  There's no way to know either way.

That's what I'm talking about, people like to use terms like "chase" when talking about drafting for need, and that's just not the mentality.  That makes it sound like you're reaching for a player that's not worthy of the pick. Nobody advocates reaching for a player that's not worthy of going #5.  If a player's value is around 12-15, and you take 'em 5, that's completely different than if your need player has a value of 4-6 and is ranked as such on your board.

On that note, the word "chase" is very misleading too. Trent Williams was a "need" pick. Most mock drafts had him slotted around 20. They thought he was too inconsistent and raw. Some thought Okung might be worthy of where the Redskins were picking at number 4, but never Williams. Many held are breath and decided to believe in Shanny.

It was one of the few times he turned out to be right.  He didn't get the best player available, but wound up getting someone who did become much better than most of the bpas thought to be available at the time.

That said, I like a BPA strategy. Though I also believe in exceptions to rules.Mind you, even better is a BPA w/trade strategy. Best of all is a being right strategy. After all, with a being right strategy, I bet quite a few people chosen in the sixth round or worse would be a great pick at five.  Sadly, one of the mods lost Biff's sports almanac.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 30m30 minutes ago

Niles Paul excited to see RGIII prove naysayers wrong http://wp.me/p14QSB-9JrL

It would be the best of all worlds if he could. I'm hoping for it.

Homer McFanboy ‏@HomerMcFanboy 9s9 seconds ago

You ever been sitting on a plane waiting for the doors to close and have a luggage truck hit the wing of your plane? Um ... I have.

Yikes!  Teaches you a lesson for buying drinks for people in the airport bar.

After our playoff run in 2005, we set out to bolster our WR corps and brought in Lloyd and Randle El to go with our stud Moss. On paper, they should've been an elite corps. We the proceeded to not draft any WRs in 2006, while a guy like Brandon Marshall was available in the 5th and we actually had a pick (gasp) that we didn't trade away there. Marques Colston was available in the 7th as well, where we took instead:

Not even on paper should they have been that.  Randle El and Lloyd shouldn't have even been starters, let alone elite anything.  And that's not even hindsight, they weren't that great before they got here.

What about BPA * X% based on need? If you had 5 strong RBs and your pick came up, and PURE BPA was a RB, you would pick him? Thats foolish.

BPA is a flexible strategy and approach, not a hard set algorithm. Sorry dont buy it.

That's all I'm really trying to say.  Like I say, I support BPA in general, but there's room for flexibility. 

Come up with a reasonable hypothetical, and we can discuss that scenario.

Let's say Cincy comes up at 21 and BPA is either Gordon or Gurley at RB, what should they do?  They've got a pretty nice, young tandem going in Bernard and Hill.  That's a more than reasonable hypothetical. 

On that note, the word "chase" is very misleading too. Trent Williams was a "need" pick. Most mock drafts had him slotted around 20. They thought he was too inconsistent and raw. Some thought Okung might be worthy of where the Redskins were picking at number 4, but never Williams. Many held are breath and decided to believe in Shanny.

It was one of the few times he turned out to be right.  He didn't get the best player available, but wound up getting someone who did become much better than most of the bpas thought to be available at the time.

That said, I like a BPA strategy. Though I also believe in exceptions to rules.Mind you, even better is a BPA w/trade strategy. Best of all is a being right strategy. After all, with a being right strategy, I bet quite a few people chosen in the sixth round or worse would be a great pick at five.  Sadly, one of the mods lost Biff's sports almanac.

My only argument to that would be, we're making a lot of assumptions of what somebody else thought of a player.  There's no absolute draft board, everybody's is going to be different. One man's BPA is another man's not even close to BPA.  All depends on who's doing the evaluating.  Shanny had a mind of his own and took the guy he thought was best.

A lot of times, when a pick doesn't follow all the mock drafts and pre-draft rankings, we say they reached. 

So you discredit posts for giving Scot McCloughan credit for the Seahawks rebuild, then give him credit when it supports your argument? Hmm.

Yeah, you kinda did:

Guess you didn't notice the "/sarcasm" at the end of that.  Everyone is giving Scot credit, so do I, he was part of the team that built a Super Bowl winner and contender.  

Yes, I said that I hope he gets fired if we have a record like that after drafting a WR at #5.  Said mostly out of frustration after all this jibberish about possibly taking a WR in the #5 slot instead of an actual player we need (also after much alcohol consumption :)  ).  Yes, I would be extremely ticked off if he took a WR at #5.

Nice picking apart my posts though.  Kudos.  Never thought to point out the numerous times I said that I personally don't think he would have WR or QB on his BPA list, nor the posts where I reviewed the Seahawks previous drafts and broke down how they filled the WR position (mainly late round picks, undrafted FA signings and average free agent signings).

Based on all of that, I'm not actually worried about us taking a WR at #5.  I just don't see it happening.  And all of the talk about taking one to build our WR corps up and stacking a position seems like a waste to me given the current overall state of the team.  That is not the direction or move I want my GM making at this point in the rebuilding timeline.  

For what it is worth, I'm almost 100% certain we wont take WR at #5 even if he drops which is why I made that comment about firing him when we go 6-10 or 7-9.  I don't want him fired, he has done wonders in FA thus far and I believe that he will rebuild this team into a solid playoff team and hopefully eventual contender.  I also know it will take more than one season.  I've said I think it will take 2-3 years to make a playoff team, and 4-5 for a potential SB contender.  I understand this does not happen overnight.

Not saying that talking about BPA and drafting and not tazing me male sibling aren't important, but couldn't that be a different thread?  This one is for twitter posts, but we're not seeing a lot of those.

And no, I won't start the thread because I don't care about all the drafting strategies, I just want Hap's tweets.

@dcsportsbog What were the odds that Keim's WaPo career would last longer than Reid's 980 career?

And no, I won't start the thread because I don't care about all the drafting strategies, I just want Hap's tweets.

you leave your hands off my tweets :P

Washington Redskins @Redskins 3m3 minutes ago

QB Marcus Mariota goes through his pro day throwing session. READ | http://redsk.in/1bbxKo0 

CAN57HGVAAA2A94.jpg

Adam Schefter ‏@Adam_Schefterr  26m26 minutes ago

Agreement reached between the Washington Redskins and former Seahawks S Jeron Johnson, per source. Redskins thin at S, now have their guy.

Is this real?

HTTR!

I know it was pointed out, but to add to the fakeness is that he was posting major news at 10:30pm....the real... 

Adam SchefterVerified account @AdamSchefter

This is Adam's wife, Sharri, hijacking his Twitter and proving that he does sleep...

Paul Conner @P_Hazard 2m2 minutes ago

Will be interesting to see if Jeron Johnson signs today or if his market heats up and out of Skins price range. Limited options available

Emmanual Benton @Manny_PPI 33s34 seconds ago

Your list read backwards “@Ziggy2126: can you rank for me your preference for the Redskins @ # 5....Fowler, Gregory, or Beasley”

There is a lot of talk about Scott Mc's BPA phlosophy vs need.  I seem to remember an article I posted that stated how he planned on doing the draft.  Rounds 1-4 you go for the best player period, at round 5 need is a factor.

Dan Kadar @MockingTheDraft 5m5 minutes ago

According to Peter King, Jameis Winston doesn't plan on attending the draft.

Jeron Johnson @Jus_Showoff 1h1 hour ago

Thank you lord for blessing me with a new day!!

I officially think the Mariota talk is a smoke screen. Not necessarily in terms of trading back, but in order to ensure Mariota gets drafted in the top 5 so it pushes other players down the board. I think Williams and Cooper/White could be the main targets.

Dan Steinberg @dcsportsbog 18h18 hours ago

The Man Cave's debut has been shelved, and its future is unclear http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/03/15/the-man-cave-wont-debut-as-scheduled-radio-industry-people-say/ 

@RealJLord @dcsportsbog I just think reid made things too personal. heard rule at 980 is criticism ok,personal attacks on dan, allen not ok.

J Lord @RealJLord 9h9 hours ago

@WshSportsDude @dcsportsbog if they were expecting JReid to exude even a shred of professionalism they were expecting too much. He's a clown

Dan Steinberg @dcsportsbog 9h9 hours ago

@RealJLord @WshSportsDude you're on a roll. Hope it feels good!

@dcsportsbog Dan, no one is giving sainthood to DS, but Jason made it very personal at times. It was McKenna-esque. That's not journalism.

Dan Steinberg @dcsportsbog 9h9 hours ago

@BGObsession McKenna is one of my best friends and an amazing journalist. So we probably aren't gonna agree on this one

@dcsportsbog No offense intended. McKenna and any journalist is responsible for what he writes, friendships aside. Enough said.

I officially think the Mariota talk is a smoke screen. Not necessarily in terms of trading back, but in order to ensure Mariota gets drafted in the top 5 so it pushes other players down the board. I think Williams and Cooper/White could be the main targets.

I haven't heard or seen anyone in the Redskins org, say who they concider a #5, I doubt their draft board is even complete at this point.

Its a lot of speculation by certain sports reporters who think they know how Scott is going to jump.  Its a bit early to start smoke screening IMO.

Let's say Cincy comes up at 21 and BPA is either Gordon or Gurley at RB, what should they do?  They've got a pretty nice, young tandem going in Bernard and Hill.  That's a more than reasonable hypothetical. 

They look at the ratings of Gordon and Gurley in relation to the players they currently have on their roster and factor that into their ranking of what constitutes BPA. For most NFL teams BPA is based on their existing roster as well as the rankings of the draftable players. I posted this earlier but it really is worth a read on this subject.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/3/6/5473554/2014-nfl-draft-scouting-process-big-board

Archived