Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zoony Bin: The official '15 offseason Twitter thread, Whine room now open serving Francis Copious Speculation Cab, Lavar buffet Incl., tips included

SWFLSkins

@dcsportsbog No offense intended. McKenna and any journalist is responsible for what he writes, friendships aside. Enough said.

I haven't heard or seen anyone in the Redskins org, say who they concider a #5, I doubt their draft board is even complete at this point.

Its a lot of speculation by certain sports reporters who think they know how Scott is going to jump.  Its a bit early to start smoke screening IMO.

New Mock Draft on NFL.com has the Redskins selecting Shane Ray and bypassing Leonard Williams, Danny Shelton, Vic Beasley.

I would hope they grab any of those 3 over Ray.

New Mock Draft on NFL.com has the Redskins selecting Shane Ray and bypassing Leonard Williams, Danny Shelton, Vic Beasley.

I would hope they grab any of those 3 over Ray.

Proof number 2076 that most mock drafts are not worth the HTML they are written with. 

Ricky Jean Francois @Freakyjean99 15m15 minutes ago

Morning good people.

Matt Terl @matt_terl 16m16 minutes ago

Maybe the Mancave thing was just a long con to get @espnradio980 hours of free exposure on @1067thefanDC.

NFL @nfl 1m1 minute ago

After landing @DeMarcoMurray, are @Eagles the favorites in the NFC East? NFL experts debate: http://at.nfl.com/9WQduwr 

CAOENJWWwAAMxyl.jpg

Uh no they have a crazy coach

Gary Fitzgerald @GaryRFitzgerald 2m2 minutes ago

I'm a fan of Jason Reid but there is no doubt he has been very critical of #Redskins, Bruce Allen & RGIII especially.

Gary Fitzgerald @GaryRFitzgerald 2m2 minutes ago

Was Jason Reid's criticism of #Redskins fair and informed? Sometimes I think he walked a fine line, but I know he has his sources.

The MMQB @theMMQB 4s4 seconds ago

MMQB is live! A look at how Jimmy Johnson has advised Chip Kelly. Plus, @SI_PeterKing's 20 free agency thoughts: http://wp.me/p3Dw81-aTB

@nfl @DeMarcoMurray @Eagles So it's D. Murray you were hyping all this time and not the Cowboys? How is he an upgrade over McCoy. SMDH

Jason Reid should ask Damon Dash why his show got the ax..."it got cut because you have a boss"

@MrDCsportsSr lol, and people in shock, hahaa, if they owned the station same damn thing happens, they just won't admit it.

For people wanting to understand how teams scout players for the draft and build their draft boards this is a good read. Scott comes from the Green Bay school so its likely we follow the group meeting method of building grades and then use the horizontal draft board which does not use a true BPA grade but a grade releative to your existing roster.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/3/6/5473554/2014-nfl-draft-scouting-process-big-board

That was an interesting read and i just get the feeling this draft will not be gmsm's best because when he came on board we were well into the scouting process ..

I can also imagine there will be some changes a comming after the draft in scouting personnel

I think the surprising but not startling admission is the patriot way with such a short draft board . The other unsurprising revelation is we may not have been using best practice here for a number of years outsourcing to people like gmsm and AJ Smith and dealing with that side of things is too important to leave upto the head coach ..

I am optomistic going forward but it may take a while ...

First ... Scot McCloughan's BPA is his BPA ... not the ES BPA ...

Scot has an eye for talent. There are plenty of players that in the past would have been the BPA by some draft guru's standards who ended up being a bust. For McC ... I would hope he's better at most at seeing past the potential busts and better than most at finding the ones who will be successful ... he didn't get to the #1 ranking of GM's draft skills per chance and there's no coincidence that Seattle's John Schneider was #2 considering he and McC are both highly regarded and basically a power team the last 4 years in Seattle ...

I DO think there's a way to have a calculated, weighted BPA without sacrificing the BPA that addresses the Bengals scenario from above. Bengals are on the clock at #21 and Melvin Gordon is there. Either they find a team that wants Gordon, and trade back to a position where BPA is more of a fit for their team ... OR they pick the #2 guy on their board.

In some cases there might be a very clear BPA. In others, it might be a wash.

For example, if at pick #5, our Big Board and Grades are:

4. Beasley - 94

5. Fowler - 94

6. Gregory - 93

7. Shelton - 92

9. Scherff - 91

10. La'El Collins - 91

18. Landon Collins - 85

42. Derron Smith - 77

Top 3 needs going into the draft: FS, RG, RT

For me, to justify taking Scherff or Collins at #5 (based on these arbitrary ratings) they would need to be a 93. That would make them pretty close to BPA and very much a "fit" in terms of need. But in this case, picking the #5-6 player on your board who fills an immediate hole isn't worth the reach. Beasley and Fowler are easily the best 2 players available when picking at #5 and you have to take them. That, or trade back to around #8 or #9 where picking Scherff/Collins fits with BPA/Need perfectly and get an extra pick. 

The potential of Jeron Johnson scares me a little.   I've heard how good he's supposed to be, but EVERYBODY on the LOB can't be good.  And he didn't play enough for anybody to really have a good read on him, that's not watching a ton of tape.  McCloghan knows, but everybody that's excited about him, what are you basing it on, other than McCloghan likes him?

There's gotta be a weak link somewhere.  Everybody there can't be a starter. 

Let's say Cincy comes up at 21 and BPA is either Gordon or Gurley at RB, what should they do? They've got a pretty nice, young tandem going in Bernard and Hill. That's a more than reasonable hypothetical.

That is pretty reasonable, the easy answer is "trade down", but RB might be the one position other than K/P where you ignore BPA if you're set at the position with young guys, and go with the second best player, unless there's a truly special talent on the board (for instance AP when we had Portis). Of course, if you think you can flip Gio to someone who needs a passing down back, maybe you can't pass on Gurley.

The potential of Jeron Johnson scares me a little. I've heard how good he's supposed to be, but EVERYBODY on the LOB can't be good. And he didn't play enough for anybody to really have a good read on him, that's not watching a ton of tape. McCloghan knows, but everybody that's excited about him, what are you basing it on, other than McCloghan likes him?

There's gotta be a weak link somewhere. Everybody there can't be a starter.

I'd be more concerned if we were signing one of their corners not named Sherman. I think their #2 CB role is the career maker position.

Gary Fitzgerald ‏@GaryRFitzgerald 2m2 minutes ago

I'm a fan of Jason Reid but there is no doubt he has been very critical of #Redskins, Bruce Allen & RGIII especially.

More like exclusively.

I am not a Snyder fan, or an Allen fan, but I have no sympathies for Reid. The guy beats the same tired drum over and over again. I don't really care that he's critical--I really enjoy listening to Czabe and Cooley, and they have been highly critical --it's the fact that he makes the same arguments every time. He and Smelly Stinkins make it personal. He's not informative, like someone like Keim, he's just a jackass.

Put it this way: If Reid posted here the same way he writes, how long would he last? 

There is a lot of talk about Scott Mc's BPA phlosophy vs need.  I seem to remember an article I posted that stated how he planned on doing the draft.  Rounds 1-4 you go for the best player period, at round 5 need is a factor.

Very smart strategy.

I haven't heard or seen anyone in the Redskins org, say who they concider a #5, I doubt their draft board is even complete at this point.

Its a lot of speculation by certain sports reporters who think they know how Scott is going to jump.  Its a bit early to start smoke screening IMO.

The full 7 round board may not be done but I'm pretty sure by now SM and company know who they'll take at 5 if a nice trade offer doesn't present itself.

The potential of Jeron Johnson scares me a little.   I've heard how good he's supposed to be, but EVERYBODY on the LOB can't be good.  And he didn't play enough for anybody to really have a good read on him, that's not watching a ton of tape.  McCloghan knows, but everybody that's excited about him, what are you basing it on, other than McCloghan likes him?

There's gotta be a weak link somewhere.  Everybody there can't be a starter. 

This is true. But you just have to believe in the GM. Believe in what you see on the limited film that is available. Believe in what his coaches and other team leaders have said about him... and if nothing else, believe that he's better than any SS we currently have on this roster.

Public Service Announcment

Pierre Garçon @PierreGarcon 13m13 minutes ago

NOW HIRING at our second SpinFire Pizza location. Tag a friend that needs a JOB 1f355.png1f355.png1f355.png1f355.png#HTTRhttps://instagram.com/p/0SqSY5iYlk/ 

1 retweet 2 favorites

Zack Moore @ZackMooreNFL 23m23 minutes ago

The avg top DT cap hit for a SB champ is 3.89% of the cap. If the cap is $153 million in 2016, Suh will cost about 14% of the cap @Jason_OTC

Rich Tandler @Rich_TandlerCSN 47m47 minutes ago

Need to Know: Who replaces Helu as the #Redskins' No. 2 running back? http://wp.me/pAil9-3Ek  #RedskinsTalk

CANNS9oUsAAz-oA.png

Aly Lewnes @alewnes7 38m38 minutes ago

@Rich_TandlerCSN These are some of them that I was looking at last night. Thought Pierre too. Thoughts on Knowshon? pic.twitter.com/tWViRc5mRW

Rich Tandler @Rich_TandlerCSN 29m29 minutes ago

@alewnes7 I’ve never been a big fan of Moreno. Injuries to some extent, never really seemed to run hard, at least when I watched him.

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk 30m30 minutes ago

Niles Paul excited to see RGIII prove naysayers wrong http://wp.me/p14QSB-9JrL

I hope he does.  Every time I read comments on PFT and other sporting forums about football in general, it seems like the consensus by other fans is he's a bust.  Most NFC East fans have already written us off because they think he's bust.  It's pretty crazy considering he's only been in the league for three years.  It took Eli four years to get things rolling in NY and Matthew Stafford first two years in the league were plagued with injuries.

Archived