Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zoony Bin: The official '15 offseason Twitter thread, Whine room now open serving Francis Copious Speculation Cab, Lavar buffet Incl., tips included

SWFLSkins

Nothing quite like an offensive-minded head coach (if you can call him that) with zero knowledge of running the defense hiring the new man in charge of running the defense.

If our head coach was Marvin Lewis/Rex Ryan/John Fox, I would feel totally comfortable with the Barry hire.  Instead, we have a HC who makes Zorn look like Lombardi--- and we as fans are supposed to sit back and believe that Gruden actually made the correct decision this time??

**** that, man.  I'm not "jumping off any ledges" because the writing was on the wall for me when JLC reported that we were singing Fangio... but anyone who believes in Grumpy Gruden as a HC is absolutely delusional.  

I just sent your resume in to Gruden, expect a call soon :P

Tarik El-Bashir ‏@TarikCSN 1h1 hour ago

Gruden told reporters at the Senior Bowl that the defensive assistants--Morris, Olivadotti, Baker, Burney--will be determined next week.

Olivadotti and Baker should be brought back. Burney should go--I can't think of a single DL that improved under him. I am in the minority here, but I would be fine with Morris being brought back--but I wouldn't miss him if he goes. Breeland was a pleasant surprise, while Amerson regressed--otherwise we had a completely talentless secondary

My *personal* view on defense:

50% Player Talent

25% Coaching

15% Offense

10% Special Teams

Or something like that.  Maybe move around things +/- 5 to 10 percent in some categories.

In any event, I feel like purely within defense, 2:1 talent:coaching.

I saw it as well a few days ago the same way, but the source is a kid with a website speculating that he thinks the Redskins need a QB and will go for Cutler.   No actual data.

Yeah, a google search revealed http://www.sportsworldreport.com/articles/41935/20150119/chicago-bears-rumors-jay-cutler-trade-to-washington-redskins-tennessee-titans-jets-options-after-john-fox-hired-at-coach.htm

But literally the top 5-6 google search options are all this Sports World Report, which I've never heard of until now.

Seems legit #isnotlegit

Also, Holy 2009 Batman!

I saw it as well a few days ago the same way, but the source is a kid with a website speculating that he thinks the Redskins need a QB and will go for Cutler. No actual data.

Oh OK. I was thinking that wouldn't be a good start to the Scot McGlophagagahan era.

@Taylor703- I def agree man. I don't see Cutler as an improvement at all. You cant do it with with Marshall and Jefferey, don't think you're making it on Washington.

I don't read, or care, about Russell or anything he says or most any of the other guys you talk about as part of my interest other than it is brought to the ES door.  I don't even experience that need to know asap nor do I have that sort of activity as a favored pastime (just as with twitter). I want it right, not fast. It's all fine for those that do get off on it. 

Sure and I follow the point.   The way I look at it is if we are posting Jsteel's or whomever tweets -- what Russell's take or whichever reporter who is paid to cover the team is at least on par as for credibility with any of the other stuff posted.   Russell and for that matter most reporters do say they have sources.  Now whether their sources are correct or not, that's a different story.  I've found most of the guys covering the team, right at times and wrong.   I've noticed of late on some key things Russell has had a good batting average after having a bad year the year before -- maybe he got a better source.  But I am not throwing any comments as fact.  I thought the Russell interview today on 980 was relevant because he was throwing stuff out there that I haven't heard from anyone else and he elaborated more on the hire at the time than any of the tweets posted here. 

Speaking of the devil. Russell is on 980 right now.  

Everything you described, though, points to coaching having a significant effect on the Cowboys. The players didn't decide on their own to transform the offense (and I completely agree that Dallas changing their offensive philosophy played big in things). And the level of talent on that team didn't suddenly skyrocket.

Coaching is a huge part of the Cowboys defense. The Cowboys play real team defense. Their running game/offense is a huge part of that defenses success. The coaching staff from the HC to the OC to the DC and special teams had to commit to playing complementary football. 

Agree in theory, but reality is the Cowboys didn't exactlly have a ton of talent on defense...They lost their big-talent names in Hatcher, Ware and Sean Lee. It seems Marinelli was able to chrun the most out of a bunch of "just guys" and cast-offs. So he might not be the best example to use about coaching not mattering as much as talent.

I think that was the hidden story of the cowboys in 2014... That they actually did have quite a bit if defensive talent. Some of their young guys played out if their minds, their FA shots in the dark panned out, and their secondary started living up to original expectations

I think there was a lot of overachieving on that Dallas defence last season .....the problem of overachieving is well it don't happen indefinatly

Well one thing the redskins are doing is making it awful easy to stop caring about the team .... I believed this is a Gruden hire and I really think he was pushed towards other options ... But let's have a head count in the best iron man avengers spirt ...okay so you may have an army but we have a .....

Areana level head coach .....with David Brent personel skillls...and has a tendency to break things (team spirit, running games an qbs)

A 12 year old offensive co cordinator ..... Who seems to have no role on the offence staff ... Maybe he is good at carrying coffee...

A guy who was accused of throwing a Super Bowl as the ONLY addition to the coaching staff .....

As impossible as it sounds but we appear to have dot worse at defensive co-ordinater

And a team president who as we speak is either mowing lawn or organizing the 2015 harvest .....

Yea we'll then

I'm going to hold off on judging Barry until we actually see how the defense does.  If this is Jay Gruden's guy then let Barry come in.  Just know that, this is the guy he will be held accountable for by the end of the season.  Regardless, I'm just praying that Scot McCloughan slowly takes over this entire organization and brings his guys in if this doesn't pan work out.  

Barry seems to use a more aggressive 3-4 scheme -- so that will at least be refreshing to see.   At the end of week 17, I was hoping at best for Haslett to be gone, so I'll appreciate that it actually happened for now and hope for the best.  I don't think it's far at all to judge Barry based on what happened with the Lions -- that roster was atrocious and it's been a very long time since then.  He's done an excellent job with the Charger's LB-corre.  Let's see if he's ready for the next level

Excellent job with the Chargers LB is a stretch...they were ok.  And the Chargers defense was average in general.  I don't think the Chargers LB core is a sign that he'll be successful in an elevated role at all.

Oh well...he'll only be here a year with his homie Gruden, so no point in ****ing about it.

Offensively, if you have an OL that can run block and can pick up the blitz (of course, the rest of the O matters, such as QB reading blitz), I think you're in excellent shape to compliment an aggressive defense.

Problem is, our OL still scares the crap out of me, even with Callahan.

Its amazing that people already know or already speculating that Gruden is on a hot seat just after 2 years.  If Allen/Danny Boy have their mind set on firing him after year 2, this franchise has not changed despite adding a GM.  if the GM feels a reboot is required for a coach he wants to hire, we should have done that this past week

Not sure why I keep coming to this thread sometimes..........................oh yeah, now I remember, it's the over the top moronitude! Knew there was some reason.......

So we went from absolute zero- coaches suck, FO clueless, owner Satan- to OMG walking on air what-a-great-move GM hire- shows real growth- back to zero- Hasless still here? WTF is up w/ Gruden- back up with Hasless gone and the Callahan hire/savvy move, coaching upgrade/addressing the line- back to zero- Barry? RUkidding me?- back up with the Fangio interview- why are they giggling like little girls?- and then back to zero again with Barry afterall-it was all a plot, we're doomed for eternity- yaddayaddayadda................ how are some of you not hurting yourselves w/ this BS? I mean actual, physical damage (to go along with the obvious mental disability), whiplash, shellshock, carpal tunnel, tennis elbow, whatever?

Calm the **** down, take a deep breath and see what happens

Its amazing that people already know or already speculating that Gruden is on a hot seat just after 2 years.  If Allen/Danny Boy have their mind set on firing him after year 2, this franchise has not changed despite adding a GM.  if the GM feels a reboot is required for a coach he wants to hire, we should have done that this past week

The insiders went from we were hiring Rah, then Barry because Dan was going to flush all the coaches after next season and they would be the cheapest route, to we were hiring the 2 san fran dudes, the top pairing available, back to Barry.  They are also reporting Orakpo is in the mix for a show me deal.   :lol:   You really can't make this stuff up.  Nobody knows anything.

I think that was the hidden story of the cowboys in 2014... That they actually did have quite a bit if defensive talent. Some of their young guys played out if their minds, their FA shots in the dark panned out, and their secondary started living up to original expectations

DT Tyrone Crawford is a very good player. He flew under the radar for some reason. I wanted us to snag him for a DE role.

Ok, fine.lol I'll give them a chance to prove me wrong. Here's my "give them a change to prove themselves".

They have one year....ONE. The overall record needs to at LEAST be 8-8 with an improvement from our defensive end, meaning 15th ranked or better, not 20th, 15th or better, w/ a side order of fries. I need to see an immediate turn around on this defense if scheme is the issue, some type of improvement. Anything short of this, any regression at all, then everyone needs to go. Fire...EVERYONE.lol Gruden being the first. MAYBE keep Callahan. I expect Scot to come in Redskins park wearing a Vince McMahon mask with a blowtorch to incinerate the TB Faction once and for all.

Prove me wrong Gruden, please...for your sake.

This is the last thing i'll say about the Barry hire. Let's see what he can do.

Here's to the rest of the offseason.

HTTR.

The insiders went from we were hiring Rah, then Barry because Dan was going to flush all the coaches after next season and they would be the cheapest route, to we were hiring the 2 san fran dudes, the top pairing available, back to Barry.  They are also reporting Orakpo is in the mix for a show me deal.   :lol:   You really can't make this stuff up.  Nobody knows anything.

The insiders are clueless.  I never listen to those clowns.  Especially hearing that one of those guys drives a limo for the team and that's how he hears what happens in the park.  In 1 week since SM has taken charge, the insiders have no idea of what is going on at the park and just spew stuff because they have ton of followers.  

Ok, fine.lol I'll give them a chance to prove me wrong. Here's my "give them a change to prove themselves".

They have one year....ONE. The overall record needs to at LEAST be 8-8 with an improvement from our defensive end, meaning 15th ranked or better, not 20th, 15th or better, w/ a side order of fries. I need to see an immediate turn around on this defense if scheme is the issue, some type of improvement. Anything short of this, any regression at all, then everyone needs to go. Fire...EVERYONE.lol Gruden being the first. MAYBE keep Callahan. I expect Scot to come in Redskins park wearing a Vince McMahon mask with a blowtorch to incinerate the TB Faction once and for all.

What I want us to see is rebuild the team through the draft.  Don't sign any free agents.  Gut the expensive players from the team.  Begin building a foundation.  I don't care if we go winless.  Then year 2, continue to build through the draft, continue building a foundation.  Rinse, repeat.  Eventually you build a foundation.

Who cares about 8 wins next year.  That and the same ol same ol gets you the same ol same ol.

Cull boats is a-comin' Their sails are in sight Cull boats is a-comin' There's dancin' tonight Why don't-cha hurry, hurry, hurry home Why don't-cha hurry, hurry, hurry home Look here! The cull boats is a-comin' There's dancin' tonight

:ph34r: 

We definitely need the picks now that SM is here. Flush the coaching staff and we will be sitting with a good foundation of players. Scotty aint stupid. New scouting team coming post draft. Unless this pans out somehow? Grudes is gone in a year, maybe two.

Jumbo...I agree completely

What I want us to see is rebuild the team through the draft.  Don't sign any free agents.  Gut the expensive players from the team.  Begin building a foundation.  I don't care if we go winless.  Then year 2, continue to build through the draft, continue building a foundation.  Rinse, repeat.  Eventually you build a foundation.

Who cares about 8 wins next year.  That and the same ol same ol gets you the same ol same ol.

While I agree, you forgot one thing. Flush the coaching staff and get guys who will grow and help the foundation. Other than that I'm with it. No sense of having great guys if they're being led by an incompetent coaching staff. That's just me though.

Regarding the 2 years, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect it.

- Norv and Snyder were together two years

- Marty was only 1

- Spurrier was 2

- Zorn was 2

Spurrier's and Zorn's records, which are probably the most relevant to the present situation, as they were unproven NFL coaches, were 12-20 at the time of their firing.

Norv was a little weird, he was 7-6 at the time, but it was also Snyder's go around.  Shanahan likely stuck because of his reputation and at least in part due to the little RGIII thing on the horizon.

Anyways, I don't think Gruden needs to hit 12-20 (8-8 might be asking a bit much), BUT, if he's something like 10-22 or worse after two seasons, it's not unreasonable to expect him to be on the hot seat.

As for why the GM didn't start a reboot just yet, he might not have felt it necessary this year, but is entirely within his rights to change his mind next year.  Alternatively, Scot might just be letting things go this year without a true evaluation of the coaching roster.  He probably knows this roster needs a talent overhaul that will be 3-4 years in the making.  If we're going to need 3-4 years before being a solid and consistently good team, why bring in a new coach who might not make it to the time when we have decent talent, when you can leave the current guy in place for a little while, see if he sinks or swims, and if/when he sinks, your new guy will come in and be around when the talent kicks in.

Archived