Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zoony Bin: The official '15 offseason Twitter thread, Whine room now open serving Francis Copious Speculation Cab, Lavar buffet Incl., tips included

SWFLSkins

I agree with the Jay has given us a new target drill.  But as I said earlier in the thread, am gathering Jay doesn't care.  While I was ok with bringing Jay back in the hope he learns am guessing it ends badly.  If so the X factor I think would be can Bruce fire his own big hire?  It would be in that case him owning up to a mistake and a big one if it goes down that way.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2015/01/20/washington-redskins-backup-plan-joe-barry/

Mostly, the Redskins didn’t upgrade after firing defensive coordinator Jim Haslett. They just gave the public a new target.

Barry’s resume includes defensive coordinator with the 0-16 Detroit Lions in 2008. He didn’t have much talent to work with in two seasons in Detroit and did little with it, allowing the NFL’s most points over that period.

The Redskins interviewed seven candidates with only Fangio getting away. Wade Phillips was certainly qualified, but Barry was a better fiticon1.png for Gruden given past connections.

Phillips is a former head coach and son of a head coach. Gruden may be only on the second of a five-year deal, but with a new general managericon1.png on board, another 4-12 season like 2014 might have the Redskins willing to move on. Thus, Gruden didn’t need Phillips possibly overshadowing him in a crisis, especially when the latter’s son Wes Phillips is the Redskins tight ends coach. Alliances in the coaching offices can produce strange results.

Jim Schwartz would have been a good pickup after released by Buffalo amid a head coaching change.  He was a good defensive coordinator in Tennessee and Buffalo.

But, Schwartz wasn’t even interviewed. He rejected Washington’s interview in 2008 for head coach to take over Detroit. Snyder certainly didn’t forget that snub and Schwartz’s 29-51 mark with the Lions didn’tenhanceicon1.png the latter’s reputation.

So Barry gets the job in the old-boy Tampa Baynetworkicon1.png where he worked in 2009 with now Redskins secondary coach Raheem Morris, general manager Bruce Allen and Gruden. Now Barry will decide whether to retain Morris.

The Redskins were 20th in yards and 29th in points last season so Barry can’t do any worse. The defensive needs help in every unit. Barry will most likely be asked to create chicken salad from chicken feathers.

Would the Redskins have been any better under Fangio, Phillips or Schwartz? Probably not measurably. It’s still about players. But, retaining fan support would have been easiericon1.png with a proven coordinator like Fangio. Instead, second guessing will once more plague a Redskins defensive coordinator.

Rick Snider has covered Washington sports since 1978. Follow him on Twitter @Snide_Remarks.

JP Finlay @JPFinlayCSN 8h8 hours ago

The NFL wasn't gonna let Marshawn Lynch play bc of gold shoes. And yet the Patriots get to cheat. Blatantly.

Chick Hernandez @CHICKatCSN 33m33 minutes ago

@JPFinlayCSN so in essence the Pats have given rest of the league the Lynch crotch grab??! #deflatedballs #cwhatididthere?

Rob Carlin @RobCarlinCSN 46m46 minutes ago

Agree with my guy @JDubs88: Belichick doesn't cheat cause he needs to.. He does it cause he wants to.. Any edge to show he's smarter than u!

@RobCarlinCSN this is why I always add extra paper to my notebooks. Just because.

Rob Carlin @RobCarlinCSN 36m36 minutes ago

@john_keim No, you need it.. All those late nights in The Lab.. Notes on footwork & bendability of 6th round OL picks or hip swivel for DB's

John Keim @john_keim 7m7 minutes ago

@RobCarlinCSN Monday, I analyzed how my dog reacts to playing ball. good change of direction; quick; fooled by pump fakes;

arthur haszard @HapHaszard 4s5 seconds ago

@john_keim @RobCarlinCSN 10 observations to come soon I hope.

Skinsweekly @Skinsweekly 37m37 minutes ago

I think after 40 years of fandom I deserve better than "well he can't be worse than haslett". #redskins

Longshot the two posts after yours reflect my opinion . I have no problem with being patient if I had ANY faith the guy we have showed any aptitude for the job ... 

I think fans have been spoiled by having mostly experienced head coaches, and don't realize that there is a learning curve.  Yes, Gruden made his share of mistakes.  His honesty bit him in the ass at times and he probably said too much publically.  Also, there was a lot of learning about what kind of players he had and who deserves to remain to build around.

Course, if you feel that way about Gruden, the hiring of a DC shouldn't matter to you.  Personally, I think it is a little premature for that.  Just like any rookie, he needs to learn his lessons and see if he can grow from his mistakes.

But, as said above, it was obvious last year that the personnel department was a mess and that the past 5 years was almost a complete waste.  Let's fix that and get some better talent in here before deciding coaching is the problem.

John Keim @john_keim 10h10 hours ago

What I don't know is if Barry is just a really good position coach or a guy capable of being a good coordinator. Knew fangio is/was.

John Keim @john_keim 43m43 minutes ago

@Skinsweekly @wsk28rules the other names were no guarantees of success, as some think. I didn't say they should try this b/c of that.

Silas Redd Jr. @ThirdEyeSi_ 6h6 hours ago

authenticity prevails every time.

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora 8h8 hours ago

Some Ravens believe kicking balls may have been deflated in their playoff game at New England: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24981269/some-baltimore-ravens-think-footballs-were-under-inflated-vs-patriots 

Ryan Clark @Realrclark25 30s31 seconds ago

Trying twitter break & New England brought me back. Have to love their grind I guess. If you ain't cheatin you ain't tryin! They stay tryin

Ryan Clark @Realrclark25 3m3 minutes ago

It's a great day to be alive!!!

So I love these McDonalds commercial but are they supposed to make me forget that no one knows what type of meat the McRib is made with?

2. @Realrclark25 Thanks for the love! BTW, it’s real ground pork from the pork shoulder. Check out how it’s made here: http://McD.to/011trr 

Momma I made it!! @McDonalds tweeting me. I'm in the big leagues now.... It was a joke guys. My bad. Didn't think you were paying attention

IDK if this is the right place to put it but the whole deflated ball thing is beyond stupid. Has anyone ever tried to throw an official size NFL ball when its low on air? 

Its hard as hell. Even when its raining. To me it fully explains why Brady under-threw 3 or 4 deep balls. The ball just doesn't fly when it doesnt have enough air in it. 

Ryan Clark @Realrclark25 2m2 minutes ago

Not sure but Pats are pretty much the Best ever!! RT @redbuppy: Do all teams do this kind of stuff, or are the Pats exceptional this way?

Tarik El-Bashir @TarikCSN 49s50 seconds ago

#Chargers coaches had positive things to say about new #Redskins D.C. Joe Barry and his "detailed" approach: http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/jan/20/chargers-/ 

I don't like the hire, but I'm not going to be all doom and gloom about it. I have no clue what Barry will do here. I hope it can only be better than Haslett's time here since that was a big disappointment.

But this team has made 2 big hires this offseason. Finally getting a GM. And not just a guy with a GM title, but a true well-respected GM that will hopefully turn things around. Then we also brought in Callahan, who seems to be a pretty solid OL coach. Those were 2 big moves that we needed to make that should help the team.

I still don't see us doing much in 2015 and that's okay as long as I see some progress. And as bad as things have been the last 2 seasons, we have to go up from here, right?

I don't like the hire, but I'm not going to be all doom and gloom about it. I have no clue what Barry will do here. I hope it can only be better than Haslett's time here since that was a big disappointment.

But this team has made 2 big hires this offseason. Finally getting a GM. And not just a guy with a GM title, but a true well-respected GM that will hopefully turn things around. Then we also brought in Callahan, who seems to be a pretty solid OL coach. Those were 2 big moves that we needed to make that should help the team.

I still don't see us doing much in 2015 and that's okay as long as I see some progress. And as bad as things have been the last 2 seasons, we have to go up from here, right?

McCloughan to me supersedes everything. They can bring back Jim Haslett as the new defensive consultant and Jim Zorn to help Gruden to call plays or whatever crazy concoction we can come up with -- and while I wouldn't like it to me the bottom line still is finally we got a real football guy calling the shots.  Coaches come and go.   As for Barry, don't like it but all we can do it watch the movie play out and hope it ends well.

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk 2m2 minutes ago

Brad Johnson admits he paid a bribe to get someone to tamper with footballs before the Super Bowl http://wp.me/p14QSB-9GUi

Emmanual Benton @Manny_PPI 3m3 minutes ago

Reminds me of the typical Steelers edge rusher. Good w/hands, not overly athletic. Could play ILB too RT @Coach_TF: thoughts on Kikaha?

HumbleSkins retweeted

Not going to spend the rest of offseason grumbling about Barry. If it works and we play well on D next year, great. If not, it all changes.

Eric Bickel retweeted

Goodell vowed in 2008 post-Spygate memo to "impose more stringent penalties on both the club and the responsible individual(s)" in future.

Rich Tandler @Rich_TandlerCSN 3m3 minutes ago

Will Woody Johnson talking about Revis affect where Revis signs? No. But Patriots file tampering complaint anyway.

JP Finlay @JPFinlayCSN 1m1 minute ago

Considering #Redskins got $36 million taken away for not breaking an ACTUAL rule, #Patriots punishment needs to be severe #RedskinsTalk

Rich Tandler @Rich_TandlerCSN 2m2 minutes ago

That it doesn’t matter if deflating balls had an effect on the outcome of the game. Rules are rules. RT @noordeus: what's the point here?

McCloughan to me supersedes everything. They can bring back Jim Haslett as the new defensive consultant and Jim Zorn to help Gruden to call plays or whatever crazy concoction we can come up with -- and while I wouldn't like it to me the bottom line still is finally we got a real football guy calling the shots.  Coaches come and go.   As for Barry, don't like it but all we can do it watch the movie play out and hope it ends well.

Agreed, although while  " all we can do it watch the movie play out...."  may be sincere on your end, there will be endlessly repetitive posting 24-7 on how bad Barry is/will be. There will be those who will make many, many posts per week of that nature long before Barry does one exercise on the practice field.  

There is no waiting for that type.  And given their way (not happening) they would be an endless cacophony all off-season.

Negativity/skepticism is fine and I have a big share of it. But this issue of hyper-repetitiveness within that segment is worse than some of us have ever seen it and dumbs the board down substantially. It is very self-indulgent (among worse things). It will also cost some (possibly many) their memberships via the inevitable mod interactions and rule violations the behavior tends to engender. 

I had no idea who Fangio was until his name was brought up as a possible hire. When somebody told me that he was the guy coaching the 49ers D, I KNEW that's who we should hire. Since we didn't, I am now positive that Gruden, Scot, and Bruce know nothing about football and we are doomed for eternity.

From everything that has been posted he was offered the position but decided to take the Bears job instead. How does that make you think our FO doesn't know anything about football? 

The guy went to a place where he knows the HC will be there for a long time. Unlike our situation where Gruden could be out the door next year can you really blame him?

McCloughan to me supersedes everything. They can bring back Jim Haslett as the new defensive consultant and Jim Zorn to help Gruden to call plays or whatever crazy concoction we can come up with -- and while I wouldn't like it to me the bottom line still is finally we got a real football guy calling the shots. Coaches come and go. As for Barry, don't like it but all we can do it watch the movie play out and hope it ends well.

Scot is my Ace too, but let's not bring back a couple of Jokers to ruin the deck.

I'd like to see Raheem go elsewhere along with Burney and hire a QB coach and I'll be set for the season.

From everything that has been posted he was offered the position but decided to take the Bears job instead. How does that make you think our FO doesn't know anything about football?

The guy went to a place where he knows the HC will be there for a long time. Unlike our situation where Gruden could be out the door next year can you really blame him?

It was satire.

Well, all except for the part about being doomed for eternity. That might be true.

OMFG are people STILL whining about Fangio? He got outta SF because their FO was fustercluck in spite of his success, along with Harbaugh, what makes anyone think he'd want to come to a team that had a similar track record? We will have to prove ourselves across the league to shed the current rep, it's just the way things are.

Let it go.

OMFG are people STILL whining about Fangio? He got outta SF because their FO was fustercluck in spite of his success, along with Harbaugh, what makes anyone think he'd want to come to a team that had a similar track record? We will have to prove ourselves across the league to shed the current rep, it's just the way things are.

Let it go.

Very well put, money doesn't buy it all, or we would have won every superbowl since Dan arrived, it takes football people and a good plan.  Once things look right coaches will want to be here.

HumbleSkins retweeted

The Redskins staff sure is young. Jay Gruden is 47, Joe Barry is 44. Sean McVay is 29.

Washington Redskins @Redskins 9m9 minutes ago

Hiring of new DC Joe Barry, 2015 draft predictions & more in today's #Redskins Morning Clips: http://oak.ctx.ly/r/2csij 

B74kG7tCAAE9WMz.jpg

For the Redskins take on live the universe and everything possible

Archived