Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zoony Bin: The official '15 offseason Twitter thread, Whine room now open serving Francis Copious Speculation Cab, Lavar buffet Incl., tips included

SWFLSkins

They should be disqualified from the playoffs altogether. They cheated, and this is their second offense within 10 years.

If cheating doesn't mean disqualification, why would any team not cheat if it meant a trip to the Superbowl. That's the point of the whole season. Losing a draft pick or two or a couple thousand of dollars is definitely worth a chance at a Superbowl.

That actually seems like a great trade. Cheat and get to the superbowl in exchange for one first round pick. The other option is play fair and hope your first round pick gets you to the superbowl, but thats far more risky... every team gets a first rounder, but not every team makes it to the SB.

Justin Byram ‏@Justin_Byram 17m17 minutes ago

Under Baker Kerrigan had his best season. Under morris... well you know

Crazy. It's like bizzaro world. Keeping the DBs coach and getting rid of the LBs coach. Mind you, the Barry hiring itself is pretty much a Bizarro hiring.

Not sure that we needed two linebacker coaches in the first place (seems like overkill) but all the reviews were so high on Baker last preseason and the linebackers were the one group that performed on defense.  I wonder if Baker wanted out?

The exact same thing could have been said about Fangio when we hired Haz. 

Fangio was a terrible DC before winning the talent lottery with the Niners.  

Terrible. 

As a DC, didn't say LB coach. 

He was on to the Panthers + Texans when they opened as expansion franchises.  There is no DC in the world that would have had success coaching second-hand players. 

Crazy. It's like bizzaro world. Keeping the DBs coach and getting rid of the LBs coach. Mind you, the Barry hiring itself is pretty much a Bizarro hiring.

Not sure that we needed two linebacker coaches in the first place (seems like overkill) but all the reviews were so high on Baker last preseason and the linebackers were the one group that performed on defense.  I wonder if Baker wanted out?

That is something I hadn't thought of but its possible, since Gruden said assistants will be evaluated later. 

I hope we didn't piss Baker off.  Guy is good.  We seem to release decent talent and they never return, even with their ties, while over the past couple years we've been vacuuming up all the buddies for the Tampa team reunion tour.

That's a huge cultural problem, that good people leave and our bridges are seemingly gone (if not burned), and one we need to end outright.

Making moves now can help those who won't be retained. Senior Bowl week is like a job fair for assistant coaches seeking employment.

The exact same thing could have been said about Fangio when we hired Haz.

Fangio was a terrible DC before winning the talent lottery with the Niners.

Terrible.

As a DC, didn't say LB coach.

Um, what?

This is just no. I swear, why do people keep trying to over exaggerate in order to tamp down other peoples exaggerations.

No, Pre-San Francisco Vic Fangio's resume was not as bad as Barry's is NOR would it be in any way fair to say the "Exact same thing" about Fangio in that instance as you'd say in Barry.

Barry's career as a DC has been 32 and 32 in YPG and PPG

Fangio's career as a DC prior to SF had been 19.7 and 17.5 in YPG and PPG

Even JUST taking his time in Houston, Fangio's defenses averaged a rank of 25.3 and 23.5 in YPG and PPG. Not great by any stretch, but that's at least a PPG ranking that's not in the bottom quarter of the league, and the YPG ranking that's on the cusp. Both a good bit better than Barry.

Over his 10 years running a defense, Fangio had oversaw a one top 10 YPG defense. He also oversaw two top 10 PPG defenses (one coming in at #2). Over that 10 year stretch, he had a top half of the league defense in YPG five times, same with PPG.

No, it would be amazingly dishonest if anyone tried to say the "exact same thing" about Fangio's resume as a DC prior to San Francisco as they do about Barry.

Additionally, you brought up the hypothetical of being able to say the exact same thing prior to hiring Hazlett (in response to saying that we'd be bringing in someone worse than Haslett).

No, no you could not.

Haslett, in the last 10 seasons he ran a defense prior to coming to the Redskins, averaged a rank of 19.8 and 23.4 for YPG and PPG respectively. That's roughly even with Fangio in terms of YPG, but a fair bit worse than Fangio in terms of PPG.

Haslett had not presided over a top 5 defense in either stat; Fangio had. Haslett had 4 of 10 seasons in the top half of the league for YPG and 3 of 10 seasons in the top half for PPG; worse than Fangio in both regards. The only way Haslett's resume looked better was looking only at their last stop. Haslett averaged a rank of 11.7 for YPG during his time in St. Louis; better than Fangio. On the flip side, he averaged 30th for PPG; worse than Fangio.

So no, you couldn't have even said that explicitely that Fangio was a worse DC than Haslett was, even looking at Fangio pre-SF and Haz pre-DC.

It's absolutely possible to combat some of the negative regarding the Barry high without making exaggerating and flat out ridiculous arguments in the process.

That's a huge cultural problem, that good people leave and our bridges are seemingly gone (if not burned), and one we need to end outright.

Not completely true, since we did bring back Olivadotti.  Course, when you change everything every few years, it is kinda hard to keep relationships.

Adam Carriker @AdamCarriker94 4m4 minutes ago

Seek to be worth knowing, rather than well known.

Justin Byram @Justin_Byram 7m7 minutes ago

Great stuff here draft> FA: 1personnel move shows why the Seahawks are better than the Redskins http://wp.me/pAil9-3x6  via @Rich_TandlerCSN

This article is posted in BRBN

AtTheBuzzer @TheBuzzerOnFOX 10m10 minutes ago

.@MikePereira on #DeflateGate: "this is cheating and something the league will deal with harshly" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSHXKSBzuCk 

Disappointed to see Baker go. By all reports, and by the product on the field, it seemed he was making a difference with our backers. Even if Joe is a LB coach, I still would rather have a dedicated LB coach. Not a fan of my HC's being Coordinators generlaly or my Coordinators being position coaches. However, we'll see how things go.

Interested to see what happens to Olividotti (sp?) and Morris.

If the scheme is changing how we use OLBs, the OLBs may be grouped in with the DEs and/or the ILBs with this new defense, even if it is a 3-4 1-gap style D. Mario Williams often played wide like our OLBs, but had his hand down and rushed like a DE would when he was in Pettine's Hybrid 3-4 in Buffalo. If that's the case, we don't really need an OLB coach.

That said, I really think Baker did a good job and I hope he kicks ass wherever he ends up, because he certainly deserves a job.

That actually seems like a great trade. Cheat and get to the superbowl in exchange for one first round pick. The other option is play fair and hope your first round pick gets you to the superbowl, but thats far more risky... every team gets a first rounder, but not every team makes it to the SB.

I actually think that if there is fire to this smoke they need to get a post season ban like the NCAA does. This would be the SECOND time they have been caught cheating and have already been docked draft picks and fined. The penalty for the second offense has to be HARSH.

First of all, that's a horrible idea. Stop recommending censorship. And secondly, this board ain't the only place where the Chargers' linebackers are being hailed as "less than stellar".

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/jan/20/chargers-/

Quoting the comments section of an Internet article is "proof?"

That's less proof than quoting a random poster on here...

Not completely true, since we did bring back Olivadotti.  Course, when you change everything every few years, it is kinda hard to keep relationships.

That's true, and I'm glad we did.  But our track record in general is not particularly good.  The list of scouts, players, and positional coaches who have departed and then found success is a little depressing.

If that's the case, we don't really need an OLB coach.

Hmmm, I hope you're right, and that it was somewhat mutual in nature, so if the scheme changes again and Baker would be a good choice he could be at least considered.

I don't know what happened with Spanos, but I'd prefer it didn't happen again.

Though the poop story does sound pretty funny.

If the scheme is changing how we use OLBs, the OLBs may be grouped in with the DEs and/or the ILBs with this new defense, even if it is a 3-4 1-gap style D. Mario Williams often played wide like our OLBs, but had his hand down and rushed like a DE would when he was in Pettine's Hybrid 3-4 in Buffalo. If that's the case, we don't really need an OLB coach.

That said, I really think Baker did a good job and I hope he kicks ass wherever he ends up, because he certainly deserves a job.

Agreed...I was shocked by this as well. But Baker might not fit what Barry's vision is. We'll see...

Hmmm, I hope you're right, and that it was somewhat mutual in nature, so if the scheme changes again and Baker would be a good choice he could be at least considered.

I don't know what happened with Spanos, but I'd prefer it didn't happen again.

Though the poop story does sound pretty funny.

Still a big if because we still don't know what kind of defense the Skins are running.

Rich Tandler @Rich_TandlerCSN 4m4 minutes ago

Hey, I need some #Redskins questions to answer in my AM post. Hit me here with #NTK and I’ll pick one to answer in-depth every morning. Thx

T @TMM75 2m2 minutes ago

Saw most #Redskins moves coming, but not this news about Brian Baker not returning. Stunned. Hopefully he finds a good gig somewhere

gonna cherry pick a little here ... 

No, Pre-San Francisco Vic Fangio's resume was not as bad as Barry's is NOR would it be in any way fair to say the "Exact same thing" about Fangio in that instance as you'd say in Barry.  Never compared Fangio directly with Barry ... I said Fangio's track record as a DC over 11 years was OVERALL terrible, and it was.  Yes, I know, he started off hot with good D's, but the next 9 years overall was bad. 

Fangio's career as a DC prior to SF had been 19.7 and 17.5 in YPG and PPG Two years vs. 14 years? I mean, why are we comparing Fangio with Barry? I never went there, why are you? I'm strictly talking Fangio and the fact that he did not set the world on fire until he was gifted a mess load of talented players and a ball control offense that complemented the D. 

Over his 10 years running a defense, Fangio had oversaw a one top 10 YPG defense. He also oversaw two top 10 PPG defenses (one coming in at #2). Over that 10 year stretch, he had a top half of the league defense in YPG five times, same with PPG.  This is good? In your quest to cure all of us exaggerators you are giving us stats that are very underwhelming. 

No, it would be amazingly dishonest if anyone tried to say the "exact same thing" about Fangio's resume as a DC prior to San Francisco as they do about Barry.  Again, not comparing with Barry, why are you? 

Additionally, you brought up the hypothetical of being able to say the exact same thing prior to hiring Hazlett (in response to saying that we'd be bringing in someone worse than Haslett).

No, no you could not.

Haslett, in the last 10 seasons he ran a defense prior to coming to the Redskins, averaged a rank of 19.8 and 23.4 for YPG and PPG respectively. That's roughly even with Fangio in terms of YPG, but a fair bit worse than Fangio in terms of PPG.  My point was, when Haz was hired, it was probably as popular as when when Fangio was hired for the Niners.  But Fangio was able to coach some talent and things turned out well.  No one, not even Fangio's mom saw him becoming the DC that he became, based off his very pedestrian track record.   I'm a believer that its more about the players than the coach.  

Fangio got the players and I'm hoping Barry does to and the results are the same.   

Tell me you want the same thing. 

Um, what?

This is just no. I swear, why do people keep trying to over exaggerate in order to tamp down other peoples exaggerations.

No, Pre-San Francisco Vic Fangio's resume was not as bad as Barry's is NOR would it be in any way fair to say the "Exact same thing" about Fangio in that instance as you'd say in Barry.

Fangio's career as a DC prior to SF had been 19.7 and 17.5 in YPG and PPG

Even JUST taking his time in Houston, Fangio's defenses averaged a rank of 25.3 and 23.5 in YPG and PPG. Not great by any stretch, but that's at least a PPG ranking that's not in the bottom quarter of the league, and the YPG ranking that's on the cusp.

Haslett, in the last 10 seasons he ran a defense prior to coming to the Redskins, averaged a rank of 19.8 and 23.4 for YPG and PPG respectively. That's roughly even with Fangio in terms of YPG, but a fair bit worse than Fangio in terms of PPG.

It's absolutely possible to combat some of the negative regarding the Barry high without making exaggerating and flat out ridiculous arguments in the process.

I am sure a DC, who's most recent stint prior to SF, was far worse than Haslett's prior to his stint here would be met with sane rational thought. No one is saying Fangio's record is, in fact worse, but the reaction would be similar, if not the same.

Agree to disagree, but you give many on this board FAR more credit that I do.

Archived