Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zoony Bin: The official '15 offseason Twitter thread, Whine room now open serving Francis Copious Speculation Cab, Lavar buffet Incl., tips included

SWFLSkins

Excellent job with the Chargers LB is a stretch...they were ok. And the Chargers defense was average in general. I don't think the Chargers LB core is a sign that he'll be successful in an elevated role at all.

Oh well...he'll only be here a year with his homie Gruden, so no point in ****ing about it.

They had a TON of man games lost due to injury. He made chicken salad out of chicken ****.

I'm fine with the hire. Honestly none of us really knows the difference between any of the candidates going forward except some of us heard the name we were familiar with, got a man crush, and decided that that coach HAD to be our guy. What I'm really happy about is the process. Seems like the way a real football organizationwould have handled their business.

The rumors of a one gap, attacking 3-4 have ne intrigued. Im willing to see what this guys got. I like that he also has a lot to prove. Means he wont **** around, and will give thus everything he's got.

And I no longer have the energy to burst blood vessels in my head raging over the hire, because there is no perfect hire. Every posible decision is the worst decision ever. So if it bombs, meh, whatever. Used to it. The one thing all coaches need, is talent, and we have one of the best talent eval guys out there.Lets get this thing going.

I think its safe to say that we are the Redskins defense. We have problems all across the board. None of us can get on the same page. Our confidence is gone from all the losing. Hard to focus on the task at hand with all the finger pointing. 

I am the liquor. Let your brain be my flask. Says GM scot Mcsomething.

Do you think Rod Marinelli did a good job in Dallaa this year?

Look up his defensive ranking with the lions.

Come back, admit that this league is about talent, not coaching. Consider it a personal growth experience, courtesy of logic and facts, vis a vis extremeskins.com.

Never disagreed with anything more wholeheartedly. You don't really believe this, do you? How do you explain the consistent success of a coach like Belichick, with the revolving door of journeymen and has-beens? How about that year they went 11-5 without Brady. 

Hypothetical for you: Say the NFL is reshuffled in a fantasy draft and you have the first pick. The twist is, coaches are included in the draft. Hands down, 100% of the time, you pick Belichick with the #1 pick before any player. WITHOUT QUESTION. 

Head coaches like Belichick should be getting paid 20mil a year. 

Wait...

Joe Barry.

Joe.

Barry.

Joe...Biden.

Barry...Barrack.  Barrack "Barry" Obama.

And the State of the Union happened on the same day we hired him!?

OH MY GAWD.

I have no idea what it means.

It means there is A copy of Jim Zorn's playbook, A body and two chest at the bottom of 10x on oak island.

10X would be A good place to put Hasletts playbook. So it cant get into the hands of the wrong person. It could ruin football.

Its amazing that people already know or already speculating that Gruden is on a hot seat just after 2 years.  If Allen/Danny Boy have their mind set on firing him after year 2, this franchise has not changed despite adding a GM.  if the GM feels a reboot is required for a coach he wants to hire, we should have done that this past week

I think the higher ups (Danny and Bruce) did not want to get rid off Gruden and be on the books for $16M over the next four years. That's probably the main reason Gruden is still here. Bruce, who is supposed to be a great contract guy, hooked up his boy with an unheard of deal for a first time head coach. I honestly believe that if Gruden had gotten a regular deal, not my buddy is hooking me up, he would've been fired. Bruce should have given him a 3-4 year deal worth $10-12M, which would've made it easier to fire him. But, Bruce gave him a 5 year deal, which pretty much makes it impossible to fire him after one season.

Guessing its either the association with the Tampa clique or he doesn't want someone with a resume like Wade Phillips being on the team in case they consider removing him in the middle of the year with an interim head coach. If the floor drops out on them next season I couldn't see them replacing Jay with Joe but I could with Wade

There are 31 other coaches who didn't hire wade, and 31 that didn't hire him last year. Just because he has nice numbers doesn't mean he's the ultimate defensive coordinator, else he'd never be unemployed. Look at how long some of the greats stay with their orgs, even through coaching changes and all. Wade isn't in that category.

I love how now everybody's got an inside scoop on what's going on inside Jay's mind, like he's just throwing the year, trying to get fired, afraid of a resume, etc. The guy gave quotes saying why he liked Barry. Lots of coaches go with young guys their first go round.

It wouldn't surprise me if they had this worked out long ago, that when either of them got their first coaching jobs, they'd hire the other as a coordinator. Yeah, it sounds like nepotism, but it's also how a lot of America works and how a lot of us got our jobs.

I mean, i could interview a guy for a position, but if I've been having conversations with my friend for 15+ years, breaking down tape and analyzing philosophies, and know that we think alike and can work well together then i may be inclined to call my friend for that job, even if nobody else is calling him for similar jobs.

Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't, but people really are acting like this is some foreign concept invented by Snyder to piss us off.

I think the higher ups (Danny and Bruce) did not want to get rid off Gruden and be on the books for $16M over the next four years. That's probably the main reason Gruden is still here. Bruce, who is supposed to be a great contract guy, hooked up his boy with an unheard of deal for a first time head coach. I honestly believe that if Gruden had gotten a regular deal, not my buddy is hooking me up, he would've been fired. Bruce should have given him a 3-4 year deal worth $10-12M, which would've made it easier to fire him. But, Bruce gave him a 5 year deal, which pretty much makes it impossible to fire him after one season.

Because winning organizations fire coaches after one year...

Let's have a reality check.  This team lost with a two time Super Bowl winner as head coach.  It lost nearly the same amount of games with a first time head coach.  Firing the coach does nothing for this team, because the problem is that for the past 5 years, the people who were supposed to be building this team did a poor job of it.

The good thing is that the team finally addressed that.  Don't know if the change will work, but at least they aren't doing more of the same.  So, it is now time to readjust those expectations and realize that the team needs to build something.  Which means you should expect that Gruden will be the head coach for the near future.  It is unlikely he will be fired after next year, or maybe even the year after that, because our GM knows that it takes time to build a team.

But, I find it funny when the board play acts like they have the patience to go through many losing seasons, when they want to fire a head coach after one year, or root for him to be fired soon so that the team can hire a "real" head coach.  That isn't a winning attitude.  Goodness knows we've torn this team down enough.  Let's actually build something for once.

Just out of curiosity LongShot, why do you think Gruden isn't a part of the problem? if the team shows no progress under his coaching again than it does a major disservice to the young players you're bringing in to keep him around. I hope things work but continuity doesn't always make things better, see Haslett.

Because winning organizations fire coaches after one year...

Let's have a reality check.  This team lost with a two time Super Bowl winner as head coach.  It lost nearly the same amount of games with a first time head coach.  Firing the coach does nothing for this team, because the problem is that for the past 5 years, the people who were supposed to be building this team did a poor job of it.

The good thing is that the team finally addressed that.  Don't know if the change will work, but at least they aren't doing more of the same.  So, it is now time to readjust those expectations and realize that the team needs to build something.  Which means you should expect that Gruden will be the head coach for the near future.  It is unlikely he will be fired after next year, or maybe even the year after that, because our GM knows that it takes time to build a team.

But, I find it funny when the board play acts like they have the patience to go through many losing seasons, when they want to fire a head coach after one year, or root for him to be fired soon so that the team can hire a "real" head coach.  That isn't a winning attitude.  Goodness knows we've torn this team down enough.  Let's actually build something for once.

The board has patience if they see the team PROGRESSING.  There was no progression this past year.  Pretty much every player on the team regressed in some fashion, and it made the 4-12 record sting even worse.  It would be different if we could say "well at least x, y, and z showed something" but aside from maybe Keenan Robinson, did anyone actually improve this season?  Not really.

That's my biggest gripe with this coach...he didn't make anyone better.  He bailed on two quarterbacks, the running game got significantly worst, Garcon and Reed regressed, and the offensive line was a freaking joke.  For a team that is rebuilding, that is just awful and unacceptable IMO.  And to top things off, he threw people under the bus and came off like a jackass in the media.

Oh yea...he's also part of the Tampa Bay coaching circle jerk.

So if you can't figure out why people don't approve of Gruden, there it is. 

Just out of curiosity LongShot, why do you think Gruden isn't a part of the problem? if the team shows no progress under his coaching again than it does a major disservice to the young players you're bringing in to keep him around. I hope things work but continuity doesn't always make things better, see Haslett.

At some point you have to address the problem, not try to band aid the problem.  It's OBVIOUS that coaching isn't the franchises problem it's player personnel.

So you can do 1 of 2 things.

Keep replacing coaches and not address player personnel.

OR address player personnel then address coaching.

What we continue to do is swap out coaches and not address our team issues.

Why in the hell would you hire another coach when your player personnel decisions have sucked?

Longshot the two posts after yours reflect my opinion . I have no problem with being patient if I had ANY faith the guy we have showed any aptitude for the job ... 

But he was in way over his head, and this coaching hire shows he still does not get it. He did what irks me the most and tried to shoehorn the players into his scheme, but not only that when they did not fit he did not show any signs of recognising those mistakes but rather  aggressively critiquing the players publicly for not being able to what he thought they should be able to do in essence throwing a tantrum like my 2 year old does when a round block will not go into a square hole. 

Barry may be knowledgable and he may be energetic but leaders have to lead and all of this coaching staff has a meekness about it an inexperience and an inability to challenge each other or players. It needs a personality and to be frank it doesn't have it. 

Three things still haunt me about last season - 

•  Jay Gruden stating the coaches job ends on Saturday 
  •  In the middle of the melee in the Tampa game Gruden was simply unaware that his player were in trouble or that Moss had actually    been ejected and only realised when a member of the media told him. 
  •  When a line had been drawn under the apparent deteriorating public relationship between Gruden and his QB in the now infamous getting ready for san fransico press conference - Jay went off later on the same day to continue the back bitting. 

People say well it was Jays first season he will learn from it. I am not so sure. And believe me I really hope I am wrong because if I am then everything is fine - 

One final thought . Something Vic said in his comments why he chose Chi town over us . It was a comment about job security. Now part of that could be based on Dan Snyders reputation but part of me thinks he came here and he talked to Jay and he senses he doesn't have it... the X factor to succeed.... and sure he might be a shoe in for the HC position if Jay fails what is equally likely he will pull Vic down with him. 

Chip - It is not on the coaching staff to add players. Scott is now responsible for that. Scott is addressing the rebuilding the roster part and it is upto the HC to work with and identify what he needs and to develop those players effectively...

Staying with a HC that cannot do that is a mistake and there is no point in being persistant following a specific path if that path leads you off a cliff....  

I am not sure if this should go in here or the Barry thread (I am sure it will end up in both)... 

But this makes things sound much much worse . Apparently no formal offer was ever made to Vic Fangio and the defeatest language from Gruden Just makes me more furious with this waste of skin we have as a HC 

"We talked to Vic, and we knew he had a lot of offers on the table," Redskins coach Jay Gruden told reporters at a Senior Bowl practice in Mobile, Alabama. "We just wanted to get him in and see what he was all about so he could see our situation, and he chose to go to Chicago. As far as the offer is concerned, we knew it was kind of a long shot him coming anyway.

"Because obviously he's a great candidate and great football coach, it would've been stupid for us not to reach out and try to get him."

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins

There is nothing in that quote to make me think the coaches were ever serious in this pursuit... "it was like yeah well we kinda had to bring in him but well he kinda didn't want to come in here and besides look we got JOE FREAKING BARRY he was like really knowledgable about our secret handshake and and stuff and has worked with uncle Raheem and Uncle Allen and Uncle AJ and well that makes him awesome right?" 

One more year... woo 

The one silver lining, as Art said, is that the reports that fans have a strong influence over things appears to have been greatly exaggerated.

Thank God for that. Have you met us?

On the Barry hire no point banging your head against a wall, it is what it is. All we can do now is sit, wait, watch and judge the results. That would have been the same whoever we hired of course. Personally I think any improvement will have more to do with personnel moves we make than coaching changes - but clearly coaching will have an impact in how it uses the talent assembled. 

I'm willing to wait and see what they do next season but I am not confident Joe Tampa and Raheem Tampa will turn this defense around. Raheem hasn't been lights out coaching and let's face effectively this is a Raheem/Barry combo that Bruce and Raheem have been wanting to implement since Raheem came here. Bruce tried to get Barry in here before in 2010. The whole Fangio/Donatell thing was a farce, they've been interviewing people but hired Barry the day Haslett was forced to call it quits. This is the Bruce Allen show folks!

Right now, I'm in a show me mode. Apparently Bruce really wants this to be Tampa of 10 years ago, well fine.. show me the brilliant plan and when it comes crashing down and the pirate ship sinks please get out of here and let Scot bring in good coaches.

I hope they show me they can coach, cos' it's a damn shame to bring in good players and coach 'em bad defense and technique, so I do hope I'm wrong and they succeed, for the small pool of talent we currently have on board and for next season.

Oh boy.. I foresee a big meltdown once again but will happily eat crow.. please let me eat crow  :mellow:

Frankly...the system/scheme means **** all to me right now. What i want to see, outside of improving our roster via the draft, is can these guys develop talent?

As much as we need to improve the quality of our players, it does nothing to provide great terroir, great grapes, & great soil if you vintner knows next to nothing on how to turn that combination into anything other than a bunch of grape juice.

I'm on the fence, as it were, much like i resigned to be with the Gruden hire. Underwhelmed, slightly perturbed, lots of questions...but willing to wait n' see.

They should be able to nail this 1st pick, & hopefully 1 or 2 others by early parts of next season. Then we'll have a better idea if this marriage can work. Regression or stagnation will be a death knell for this staff though...of this i FEEL certain.

Alas...as Socrates so famously posited:

We will never TRULY know anything.

Archived