Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zoony Bin: The official '15 offseason Twitter thread, Whine room now open serving Francis Copious Speculation Cab, Lavar buffet Incl., tips included

SWFLSkins

Some of  reactions to Joe Barry are pretty funny--after Fangio was fired from Houston, he spent 5 years as a special assistant in Baltimore. He went to Stanford as DC, under Harbaugh.

He followed Harbaugh to SF.

I can only imagine the reaction to Fangio being hired here under the same circumstances...I am willing to bet dollars to donuts if you replaced the word Barry with Fangio, the would have been the same.

So one guy who's had one stint as a DC, coming in basically dead last in the league in those two years in PPG and YPG, and has never been higher than a linebacker's coach on teams that at the time weren't known for having stellar defenses.

And another guy who had three stints as a DC, with a career at that time average of 20th in YPG and 19th in PPG as a DC in the NFL and 25th/24th average at his last location, who then went on to be an assistant with a well respected defensive team and then run a college defense that ranked 11th in the country in points allowed and 27th for yards.

Yeah...I'm sure the reaction would have been the same over all.

Sure, there'd be some people who would be poo poo'ing it, because there ALWAYS are people poo pooing it. But Fangio's resume PRIOR to San Francisco was still SIGNIFICANTLY more impressive and concrete than Joe Barry's is.

I wonder what the "wade story" really is/was in the process...just curious, no axe to grind on it...not interested in "theories", just would like to know for real..

I was thinking of the same. Why not Wade?

Maybe his son told him.. no dad don't do it, you don't want to be here! .... oh wait no theories. :P

I wonder what the "wade story" really is/was in the process...just curious, no axe to grind on it...not interested in "theories", just would like to know for real..

I think most would like that.  We definitely interviewed him, and then...nothing really.  Nothing concrete at least.

No sweat man I am sorry too. I normally don't post bad feelings about the team but today is an exception. I honestly just don't like this news at all and don't understand it. I should just shut up and believe in them. I think I'm most upset because we just went from two solid hires to either a diamond I think looks like a turd or a turd that is a a turd and my good feeling has left. Only time will tell I guess 

We're fine. We suffer together in the end. Maybe someday it will be different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pguMUFyJ3_U

Hmmm. "spewing and backhand" eh? "all day", eh? I've done a lot on this site today, amigo, besides posting as much as I can (something i'm asked to do). There's no spewing or backhand in my book. I'm returning serve as humorously or harshly as seems appropriate, if i choose to, just as always. And I'm doing quite well, overall. 

Told you guys earlier, he's the cat, don't be the mouse!

Zac Boyer ‏@ZacBoyer 1m1 minute ago Mobile, AL

Gruden on tweak to defense: "It’s not a two-gap 3-4. It might be more of a shoot-the-gap-type of 3-4, a get-up-the-field-and-rush-them 3-4."

So more one gap?

If Boyer is actually honestly talking to Gruden, that would be nice to hear.  Healthy Hatcher+Baker+Cofield+Kerrigan can probably get to the QB in a 1-gap scheme.  Especially if we drafted a Ray or Gregory.

Ditto on that one. Especially since it's seeming more likely from reports that we'll be moving to his style of one-gap attacking 3-4 defense.

I understand Gruden is a coach and has to use coach speech (though I give him less of a pass on that then others. You don't get to try and be a "straight shooter" sometimes AND use coach speak)...but based on what's been tweeted for why Gruden thinks he's a "good fit", it would easily be argued that Wade would be a FAR better fit. So undoubtably the reason for the Barry hire has FAR more to do with something other than his "3-4 experience" making him a good fit.

So one guy who's had one stint as a DC, coming in basically dead last in the league in those two years in PPG and YPG, and has never been higher than a linebacker's coach on teams that at the time weren't known for having stellar defenses.

And another guy who had three stints as a DC, with a career at that time average of 20th in YPG and 19th in PPG as a DC in the NFL and 25th/24th average at his last location, who then went on to be an assistant with a well respected defensive team and then run a college defense that ranked 11th in the country in points allowed and 27th for yards.

Sure, there'd be some people who would be poo poo'ing it, because there ALWAYS are people poo pooing it. But Fangio's resume PRIOR to San Francisco was still SIGNIFICANTLY more impressive and concrete than Joe Barry's is.

Are you talking about the Tampa defenses when they were 5th in 2001 (17.5 ppg), 1st in 2002 (12.2 ppg), 4th in 2003 (16.5 ppg), 9th in 2004 (19 ppg), or 8th in 2005 (17.1 ppg)?

or the solid linebacker core that he coached up in San Diego?

I'll look at the overall body of work rather than 2 years where he was Marinelli's puppet on a team that had maybe 3 sounds starters.

And no - I'm not defending him because I think he's going to be a great coach for us and turn our defense around.  But I'm also not going to so quick say he is going to fail.  I'll let him come in and see if he can improve the defense from what it was and preserve my judgment til the end of next year.

You could have given my grandmother (or a chimpanzee) a list of candidates and told her to pick one and she couldn't have possibly picked anyone less qualified for this job.

WTG Redskins FO and Head Coach.

If I'm wrong well then these guys are somehow moronically genius like an Autistic Math Genius but this can't be called anything other than a dumb hire.

I guess the keeping of Haslett last year really wasn't a brain fart. It was reality after all. These guys are idiots.

Ditto on that one. Especially since it's seeming more likely from reports that we'll be moving to his style of one-gap attacking 3-4 defense.

I understand Gruden is a coach and has to use coach speech (though I give him less of a pass on that then others. You don't get to try and be a "straight shooter" sometimes AND use coach speak)...but based on what's been tweeted for why Gruden thinks he's a "good fit", it would easily be argued that Wade would be a FAR better fit. So undoubtably the reason for the Barry hire has FAR more to do with something other than his "3-4 experience" making him a good fit.

Yeah I know wade's old and we should kill the old people (remind me to update home security and replace the bear from the "backyard"...it was dark and that was my bad) but I thought wade would fit the bill well enough considering the candidates...but i won't begin to throw barry to the wolves at all, at this point...

You could have given my grandmother (or a chimpanzee) a list of candidates and told her to pick one and she couldn't have possibly picked anyone less qualified for this job.

WTG Redskins FO and Head Coach.

If I'm wrong well then these guys are somehow moronically genius like an Autistic Math Genius but this can't be called anything other than a dumb hire.

I guess the keeping of Haslett last year really wasn't a brain fart. It was reality after all. These guys are idiots.

So if they are wrong they are idiots who you know more than, if they are right they are idiots who you know more than. It couldnt be that if they are right they just know more about football than you do?

The only positive about this guy is he doesn't have that entire decade of suck as a DC that Haslett had coming here. They can claim partial ignorance.

It's like the Post Office hiring a one time DUI offender rather than hiring a driver who had done it 5 times and promises to be better now lol.

So if they are wrong they are idiots who you know more than, if they are right they are idiots who you know more than. It couldnt be that if they are right they just know more about football than you do?

Well, it would be the first time. Wanna bet on it then?

Look, I am not defending the Joe Barry hire. I am very meh about it. We are going to blow goats with or without Fangio next year. Hell we can have the 1956 Giants staff, and we still wouldn't win more than 5-6 games (Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry were the coordinators on the same staff.)

I am more making fun of some of the overreactions to it. And yes, you can't possibly tell me, with any kind of belief, that a defensive coordinator that had not had a coordinator job in 6 years, and never had a defense finish higher than 15th in yards, 13th in points in almost 20 years (1996 with the Panthers was his last good defense, prior to SF), that followed a head coach from Stanford that knew him would not elicit the same kind of "Proven loser; good-ol-boy network" comments.

The only thing I do like about Barry is that there are people who know more than we do that he is a good teacher. So, I am willing to wait and see, and not lose sleep over this. We made our best pitch to Fangio, but he want to the more stable situation, right now.

That would be a story I'd love to hear...

Yeah I know wade's old and we should kill the old people (remind me to update home security and replace the bear from the "backyard"...it was dark and that was my bad) but I thought wade would fit the bill well enough considering the candidates...but i won't begin to throw barry to the wolves at all, at this point...

One nice thing about being old you can sit on the boardwalk, drool at the ladies walking by in their bikini's, and people just think your senile not a dirty ole man. :lol:

Washington Redskins @Redskins 1m1 minute ago

2015 #NFLDraft is 100 days away. Look back at some of the #Redskins notable 1st round picks: http://oak.ctx.ly/r/2cnrl 

B70mEYrIYAA3Kjq.jpg

Chris Russell retweeted

Gruden said an official offer was never extended to Fangio. Said they felt like his mind was already made up on Chicago.

Archived