Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zoony Bin: The official '15 offseason Twitter thread, Whine room now open serving Francis Copious Speculation Cab, Lavar buffet Incl., tips included

SWFLSkins

Seems as though Barry was Gruden's pick all along, as they were buddies in Tampa.

I'm thinking McCloughan stepped in and said hold up, my boy from San Fran is going to be available.  

Nepotism either way, but I would have rather we sided with the guy with a track record of success, not a guy with a track record of coaching a historically terrible defense...TWICE.  

Eff it...I'm done.  

I still wish someone would answer the question of 'how can anyone say that they can't wait for our coaching staff to be fired' before they even see what happens?  That's like reaching for an OT in the first when they are a 2nd grade and saying 'man, I can't wait until they fail and we cut them'

He has my curiosity...

Add to that that in Detroit they tried to run a Tampa 2. Two things vital to the T2 defense. Penetrating DLinemen and an athletic MLBer, neither of which Detroit had at the time. Who knows, maybe the T2 wasn't his thing and he's a better 3-4 guy. Also, guys are discounting his age and experience from his time with the Lions. He would have been about 35-36. Maybe he wasn't ready.

Seems as though Barry was Gruden's pick all along, as they were buddies in Tampa.

I'm thinking McCloughan stepped in and said hold up, my boy from San Fran is going to be available.  

Nepotism either way, but I would have rather we sided with the guy with a track record of success, not a guy with a track record of coaching a historically terrible defense...TWICE.  

Eff it...I'm done.  

Scot didn't work with Fangio in SF.  He was gone by then.

Some of  reactions to Joe Barry are pretty funny--after Fangio was fired from Houston, he spent 5 years as a special assistant in Baltimore. He went to Stanford as DC, under Harbaugh.

He followed Harbaugh to SF.

I can only imagine the reaction to Fangio being hired here under the same circumstances...I am willing to bet dollars to donuts if you replaced the word Barry with Fangio, the would have been the same.

Agree. I like that he's getting away from Haz's 2 gap read and react. One point in his favor.

Yeah, if defense is healthy, we add a piece or two in the draft (or FA, though that's secondary in importance), and move to 1-gap attack, we might actually move towards the teens in points allowed, and actually put up decent sack #s as a team.

Of course, that would have probably happened for Haslett, or anyone for that matter, if we'd stayed healthy, had a draft with a legit GM, and switched to 1-gap, but since Haslett didn't do it, he can't get credit, and if Barry pulls off some magic voodoo, he gets the credit.

IMO Gruden was intimidated by anyone that could step in as HC making it easier for Snyder to fire him so he hired Haslett 2.o. SMH

I don't think I agree with this logic. The best way for Gruden to stick in his current position (HC of the Redskins) is to start winning. I suppose having no HC-in-waiting on the staff might get him through another full season, but who really cares? He's either going to get fired for not winning enough or he isn't. 

In either case, he'll get his money and have a HC position on his resume. So, I'm not really sure how surrounding himself with inferior coaches is a strategy he would be employing. 

If Barry is indeed the hire, then my next question is what is his coaching philosophy. Will he keep the assistants or bring some new people in? Will we be 4-3 or 3-4 or a combination? How often will he blitz? How often will he use nickel? How often will he use LBs to cover WRs?

Just a guess based on who he has worked for. You will see lots of Nickel, zone, four man rush with occasional five. He will have a similar philosophy to Fangio, in that he is going to try to force the offense into long drives and hope they mess up on their own.

I'm thinking a bend but don't break type defense. Of course the first thing is he is going to have to get this team to learn how to tackle. That is my main concern.

Furthermore, I have no idea what I am talking about HAHA

I want Snow White as my Head Coach  ;) .

Well, hmm...Cinderella got all the woodland creatures to work for her, and you want people to want to work hard for their coach.  Has poor clock management skills though...

I'll take Mulan any day.

Quick thinker, tough as nails, isn't afraid to take chances, got army to work efficiently under her.

If you're a fan of the Redskins you are morally obligated to give Barry a chance and hope he doesn't suck as much as he just may.   Unless you are renouncing your fandom, your sole and only choice is to give hope a chance.   We'll all probably get let down again, but, in the rare instance we are exceeded in our expectations by something greater, imagine just how cool that will feel.

I think I had a feeling like that once back in 2012, I believe.  Then it faded. I was cool while it lasted.  Would be nice to feel that again some year...

Reports are saying that Fangio turned down the chance to make him the highest paid DC in the league with Washington to go work with someone he has never worked with before and who is a defensive coach himself in Chicago. I think that says it all on what Fangio thinks of Jay Gruden and the Redskins organization. He is probably correct too.

I find it funny that everyone is giving Gruden **** for hiring guys that he is comfortable with, yet, 34 years ago in 1981, an offensive coordinator from the San Diego Chargers hired a bunch of his friends that he had worked with and was comfortable with to be his coaches and then (gasp) pretty much hired them all back (those still alive or not on oxygen tanks) 25 years later for a victory tour with the old band.

Gruden is doing the same thing Gibbs did not once, but twice. And Gibbs had never been a head coach nor had any experience. But it worked out because the coaching staff was very close, on the same page and worked well together.

I'm just wondering...is there a worst coaching staff in the league than the Redskins?  Maybe the Jags?  I'm not sure, but from the outside looking in, I'd venture to guess that Gruden/Barry is one of the worst, if not the worst HC/DC combinations in the league.  Can't see how the FO can be pleased with this.

At least the Jags have D. Marrone now. 

I've said it before, I'm less concerned about Gruden than I am about McVay. Sure he's a young, talented football guy, but lets not kid ourselves into thinking he's completely qualified for the job. I could name 10 potential OC's that I'd rather have working with Jay and the offense. Bringing in Callahan was, IMO, a means to address that issue. However, giving him the title of OL Coach doesn't dispel the problems with the Org Chart at Redskins Park.  

I may be one of the few that thinks Gruden had all the power in this hire. I keep seeing posts about Allen's involvement, but from everything we've heard this was Jay's hire to make. I thinks it's a red herring to keep pointing to the front office for terrible coaching staff hires. This includes a lack of a qualified QB coach.

Just some tweets for the twitter thread:

Tells you lots "@AaronLemingNFL: the #Redskins planned on making Fangio highest paid DC in the league. See if that holds true with Bears”

JsteelzHttr24-7 retweeted

I'm told Raheem Morris' status is pending as DB coach. Morris still interested in other (promotion) jobs, so a holding pattern is in effect

Something for the aspiring McGloughan's to play with:

Steve_headshot3_bigger.jpg

Fixing the #Redskins with money to spare! Fanspeak's Salary Cap Tool http://fanspeak.com/mtc/summary.php?id=iajtsr#.VL6lLhTVH1g.twitter 

I find it funny that everyone is giving Gruden **** for hiring guys that he is comfortable with, yet, 34 years ago in 1981, an offensive coordinator from the San Diego Chargers hired a bunch of his friends that he had worked with and was comfortable with to be his coaches and then (gasp) pretty much hired them all back (those still alive or not on oxygen tanks) 25 years later for a victory tour with the old band.

Gruden is doing the same thing Gibbs did not once, but twice. And Gibbs had never been a head coach nor had any experience. But it worked out because the coaching staff was very close, on the same page and worked well together.

Well we haven't had a great track record in nearly the past decade with this so the **** storm is warranted. :) Still don't believe in Gruden, and he has a year to prove it to me ( and possibly Scot) that he's the man for the HC job. Plain and simple.lol

I think you're grasping if you expect those results, or anywhere close to it.

Both Barry and this defense have no where to go - but up. 

Wrong, they can and likely will be worse next year because of this hire. Barry maybe a swell guy and a great interview but he never showed that he could be a Defensive Coordinator in this league and the past is a great predictor of the future. This is the worst hire I've seen and even worse then Zorn imo

Wrong, they can and likely will be worse next year because of this hire. Barry maybe a swell guy and a great interview but he never showed that he could be a Defensive Coordinator in this league and the past is a great predictor of the future. This is the worst hire I've seen and even worse then Zorn imo

Damn...sub-Zorn though?

Jay Gruden could have bought himself another bad year had he hired a experienced and successful DC like Wade Phillips or Eric Mangini instead he hitches his wagon to another loser like Haslett in Joe Barry. He proves yet again he has no idea what he is doing. He will be shown the door next year along with the whole coaching staff by Scot M. Hopefully Scot M can convince Synder in that amount of time to hire a new President and let that fraud Allen walk as well although that is not as likely.

As far as speculations go, the ones (often called "reports") that Fangio was offered all the $$ is as believable as any IMO (actually fits with much history here), and that would mean jay wanted to hire him, of course.

Fangio, however, has all kinds of reasons IMV to make another choice, even if the $$ was better here.

But in that particular speculative world, it isn't that '"Jay didn't really want him cuz he was after raheem all along." 

Reports are saying that Fangio turned down the chance to make him the highest paid DC in the league with Washington to go work with someone he has never worked with before and who is a defensive coach himself in Chicago. I think that says it all on what Fangio thinks of Jay Gruden and the Redskins organization. He is probably correct too.

We're not even having a parade and it's raining.

Archived