Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is Gruden's plan if he doesn't believe in Robert or Kirk?

NoCalMike

I've always considered him a better talent then Kirk, and he's been more productive.

Has he? Or has he just started more games? 18 vs Kirk's 9. If you look at Glennon's first 13 games played compared to Kirk's 14 played the numbers are pretty similar except for INTs. Kirk's INT meltdowns have boosted his INT #s.

If you look at total career #s Kirk has a slightly better Comp% 59 to 58.8. He has a better yds/attempt 7.4 to 6.5. And he has better yds/completion 12.6 vs 11.1. Glennon has a slightly better TD% 4.7 vs 4.4 and a significantly better INT% 2.4 vs 4.7. Glennon's record is 5-13 vs Kirk's 2-7.

If you look at just this year's #s (they both played in 6 games) Kirk was better or equal in every category except INTs. He even had more wins, 2 vs 1.

Link to Glennon's stats

Link to Kirk's stats

Skins need a clean sweep.

Draft Cooper @ 5.

Sign Sanchez as FA.

Trade up to bottom of First and draft Bryce Petty.

Team will be immediate contender and ultimately Petty gives them the franchise QB from Baylor they always wanted.

HTTR!

Is there any reason to think Bryce Petty would go in the 2nd round, let alone first? Seems like more of a Day 3 prospect than a Day 1 one.

I know people are down on Cutler, but he's a decent QB. Is there any major difference between a guy like Jay Cutler and say Carson Palmer? Doesn't Cutler seem better than Andy Dalton. A team could do a lot worse at QB.

But I think you'll still see the usual suspects back this coming season. And hope Griffin has improved (not likely, but at least possible)...

Is there any reason to think Bryce Petty would go in the 2nd round, let alone first? Seems like more of a Day 3 prospect than a Day 1 one.

I know people are down on Cutler, but he's a decent QB. Is there any major difference between a guy like Jay Cutler and say Carson Palmer? Doesn't Cutler seem better than Andy Dalton. A team could do a lot worse at QB.

But I think you'll still see the usual suspects back this coming season. And hope Griffin has improved (not likely, but at least possible)...

Cutler is a sourpuss. Palmer is a better QB, gets rid of the ball quicker.

I am thinking that in 2015, it will be Kirk or Robert starting, with possibly a late round drafted QB on the roster.  IMO, signing a QB in FA is pointless because the O-line will not have been sufficiently upgraded in one offseason. 

I think 2016 is a better target time to draft a QB and/or look to bring in a franchise QB. 

I think RG will come back strong this year. He got hurt very early and that stunted his growth in Gruden's offense. I think he looked much better in the final games. He needs time to develop. And we need time to draft a line and a secondary.

Including the Dallas game? (genuinely asking).

Here's the main blurb from http://nflbreakdowns.com/rg3-struggles-vs-cowboys/

The Redskins started with promise on Sunday, but ultimately ended in embarrassment as they were blown out by their division rival the Dallas Cowboys. In this game, RG3’s statistics were misleading as he was inaccurate with the football and showed multiple times where he was unable to read coverages and was still hesitant with the football. Here are some of his plays in this weeks breakdown.

I haven't had time or (currently) inclination to go through it, so I can't endorse the veracity of the claim, but I mentioned a little surprise no one else had either in the all22 thread.

I can understand various reasons (not necessarily "agenda-driven" either) why some games might draw member review and others not, but given the minor re-vitalization of "RG3 hater/fanboy" stuffs (since our Big Mac attack) and it mainly featuring "social media" arguments that have already been presented ad nauseum, I thought (still think) some actual playing time yet to be scrutinized might be a worthy alternative. What do I know.

All I have left in my head of the Dallas game is an all-encompassing shroud of darkness and despair, Redskins-wise. I don't have much of an RG3-centric, or an O-line-centric, or a hasmat-centric, or a Gruden-centric, or a pass coverage-centric, or a missed tackling-centric, view on all that dismal ****. It's just One Big Pile in my head.

• 7 months later...

Snyder will want the Redskins to focus on Griffin until it becomes obvious even to him; that Griffin just doesn't have what it takes to be an NFL QB.  That is going to take another 2-3 seasons.  So, if Jay doesn't agree with that; Dan will eat the contract and hire a coach that will.

And just a few weeks after I resign myself to rooting for Griffin, because he does have the most upside of the three, handled correctly, I'm dumped back into Cousins-land.

Guess Snyder finally came around, huh? Get ready for Mr. Oops, Didn't See Him three to five times a game.

• 4 months later...

Reading this thread in 2016.... anyone care to remember the mindset of ES at the end of last season?

Do we give up on RG3 or Cousins?

Is Gruden a bum?

Are things ever going to be better?

What a difference a year makes!

So is the life in the NFL. A team can look light years better in one January than they did the last. Next year we can just as easily go 0-16 (no, I'm not saying it will happen, just using 0-16 as an example).

• 2 weeks later...

I meant to have some fun with this fun bump last week but got too busy with other ES stuff. :P

There are so many thread candidates and poster candidates for fun-bump, esp. given all the "qb-drama spillover to other topics" nature of the board for so long  :D

Here were some of my faves:

NoCal in the OP

So first we have to assume a few things.

1) Gruden is not a fan of any of the three QB's currently on the roster

GHH

Gruden's an incompetent buffoon at this level no question.

Darrell Green fan

Gruden is done with Kirk, that should be obviously by now. 

Timmy Smith

I stick to my assertion that Gruden was told that he absolutely could not play Cousins under any circumstances.  There is no doubt that Griffin will be the starter for the 2016 season, but Gruden will be gone by then.

HAILSKINSNYC

I figured out that we have a 2nd rate coach

hitmandm

Gruden doesnt have a plan. It is because he is stupid. He is not an NFL coach.

Hopefully SM is calling Seattle's OC and trying to get him to come here. Gruden is not a HC outside the arena league.

Tsailand

1) Gruden might still be a Kirk fan.  We can't be sure.  He obviously hates RG3.

darrellgreenie (referring to an comment about Mike Glennon, TB b/u  ):

I've always considered him a better talent then Kirk, and he's been more productive.

Fun as these kind of  traditional bumps can be, for me it's almost never much of a deal as to someone "being right/wrong" in this pro football stuff when it comes to accurately predicting outcomes.

What I usually focus more on is how the opinion/view came to be (the reasoning behind it) and how it was/is expressed, esp. over time (some very key aspects there).

And boy, there is a LOT of fun stuff from familiar names that has yet to be risen.  :P  :ph34r:

And now there are a lot of people (including myself) saying dear god please dont let Jumbo go back and review my posts :)

Some folks here---inc. some who really don't like me :o  ^_^---don't realize just how patient and tolerant, and even merciful, I am.

<old halo-wearing smiley>

Especially for a trained assassin. 

Tsailand

1) Gruden might still be a Kirk fan.  We can't be sure.  He obviously hates RG3.

Not sure why I am being called out for that. I wrote it after the 2014 season, and I stand by it.  I don't think Gruden himself was even certain about Kirk at the time.

I'm glad Gruden made the right decision, and I bet he is too, now.

Not sure why I am being called out for that. I wrote it after the 2014 season, and I stand by it.  I don't think Gruden himself was even certain about Kirk at the time.

I'm glad Gruden made the right decision, and I bet he is too, now.

I think the issue was the "he obviously hates RG3" idea... there's nothing obvious about that, other than the way people overreacted to Gruden's comments about him last season. Gruden isn't a guy who's "hateful", never mind the fact that he quickly admitted he was wrong for saying what he said publicly and changed on that front completely. But some (not you, but many very vocal posters) seemingly refused to forgive Gruden for it and were ridiculously over the top about it. Simply put, Gruden's issues with Robert were all based on football and any other reading into it was poisonous speculation at best. 

Your general sentiment was true about Kirk, I'm pretty sure Jumbo wasn't pointing that part of it out. Don't take it too harshly, it's all in good fun. :)

Come onto the site at 9pm on a Sunday and see this thread sitting at the top of The Stadium and knew it was going to be baaaad. Hahahaha.

To be fair the context of my "We have to assume" statement was just quantifying the original question of the thread title which was a "What If...." from the get-go.  It wasn't being being presented as me saying I didn't think Gruden didn't believe.

And to be fair, this post I created during the 2014 season when no QB on this roster really looked like a franchise QB in the making. 

But hey, I am glad to eat this kind of crow.

Archived