Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rules Question-Desean and the personal foul

NorEastNCFan

Yeah -there were missed calls. There was also a odd sequence that happened in our favor. I dont remember when exactly it was - But we had a third down and we had major confusion on our offense -Everyone running around trying to line up, play clock was about to expire - Then the ref ran in and seem to reset the ball and play clock and we had plenty of time to get the snap off.

Anyone remember what I'm talking about?  

Yeah, that was strange.

Yeah -there were missed calls. There was also a odd sequence that happened in our favor. I dont remember when exactly it was - But we had a third down and we had major confusion on our offense -Everyone running around trying to line up, play clock was about to expire - Then the ref ran in and seem to reset the ball and play clock and we had plenty of time to get the snap off.

Anyone remember what I'm talking about?  

I think the announcers said something about them being required to do that, because there had been a substitution, and they have to allow time for the other team to substitute, if they want to. 

Let me just mention the numerous times Skins receivers were hit or ridden well beyond the five yard zone last night and there was not one call made, but at a crucial 3rd down juncture for the Girls, Merriweather gets called for doing the exact same thing the Cokeboy d-backs did throughout the night.

Worst was the play to Roberts where the Girls dback hits him about 12 yards downfield, takes him off stride, and the ball is overthrown. I think if he doesn't get hit it's a completion for a big play.

The one thing nobody seemed to comment on with the play with the 3 penalties that offset was that it was 3rd down and we didn't make the first down on the play.  So the penalties offsetting and replaying the down actually worked to our benefit as we got a second shot at making the first.

The one thing nobody seemed to comment on with the play with the 3 penalties that offset was that it was 3rd down and we didn't make the first down on the play.  So the penalties offsetting and replaying the down actually worked to our benefit as we got a second shot at making the first.

The original penalty would have given us the first. Desean starting a fight effectively gave it back.

No, you don't take the good with the bad. You change the bad. Maybe he hasn't changed yet because no other coach told him to knock that **** off.

Ideally, sure.  But that aggressiveness on the field is who he is.  I'm sure plenty of coaches have told him to knock it off.  And in the calm of the meeting room, maybe he's had a few moments of clarity where he says to himself that he needs to dial it back.  But then the lights come on and adrenaline starts pumping...

Let's just say I'm not optimistic that part of his game will change any time soon.

Let me just mention the numerous times Skins receivers were hit or ridden well beyond the five yard zone last night and there was not one call made, but at a crucial 3rd down juncture for the Girls, Merriweather gets called for doing the exact same thing the Cokeboy d-backs did throughout the night.

Worst was the play to Roberts where the Girls dback hits him about 12 yards downfield, takes him off stride, and the ball is overthrown. I think if he doesn't get hit it's a completion for a big play.

Yep. I saw that one, and it was much more egregious than Merriwether's little tap.

What I'll never understand is why offsetting penalties of the same severity (5, 10, 15, or more yards) result in replaying the down.  If they cancel each other out, then why punish whichever team made a play?  If they offset, then they should effectively have not happened.

Hypothetical:  Receiver makes the catch for a first down/score.  There's hands to the face on offense (5 yards) and illegal contact  on the defense(5 yards, auto first down).  Because they offset each other, then shouldn't the receiver's first down/score stand?

THANK YOU Tsailand!

I lost it over that no call.  The game CLEARLY should've ended right there with that Safety.  I'm overjoyed that in spite of it all, the fellas still Won.  But seriously, Coach must officially protest this officiating to The League Offices. 

Sheesh, & I thought the Cardinal game was bad!

(And to the OP, typically the Personal Foul should be called on the guy throwing the punch - and that was not Desean)

im pretty sure i noticed desean throw 2 punches as well on the play where he got punched. i saw desean get the last punch in and i immediately though "oh god, the refs are always going to penalize the player that gets the last punch in, not the guy that starts the punching...bad move there".

Desean has to act more professionally. He saw the flag, his brain should have automatically told him it was an automatic first down. 

And really, an official protest to league offices? Yeah, that's how you're gonna get more calls to go your way in the future.

What I'll never understand is why offsetting penalties of the same severity (5, 10, 15, or more yards) result in replaying the down.  If they cancel each other out, then why punish whichever team made a play?  If they offset, then they should effectively have not happened.

Hypothetical:  Receiver makes the catch for a first down/score.  There's hands to the face on offense (5 yards) and illegal contact  on the defense(5 yards, auto first down).  Because they offset each other, then shouldn't the receiver's first down/score stand?

Because it's always been like that. Get over it.

Actually, what I don't understand is the ordering logic.  For example, a player jumps offsides, but the refs let the play go.  In order to protect the QB because of the early start a lineman grabs and is guilty of holding.  Shouldn't the offsides count and the holding be waved off?  There was no play after that offsides?

It wasn't in regard to the OPs original question, it was to yours.

There's a sense (not saying you, just a general sense in here) that many posters feel the rules have been altered over the last couple of years to benefit whoever is playing the Redskins. 

Now, i'm not saying the Refs aren't doing a pisspoor job in general, but it drives me up the wall when so many live and die with the belief that the refs primary job in every Redskins game is to find ways to screw them. It's cowardly and lazy IMO.

Again i'm not pointing a finger at you, I just get easily twitched whenever I see someone questioning something that went against the Redskins. In regards to your confusion regarding why such and such happens, my immediate assumption was someone was going to take what you said and put together some rambling critique about how if that was any other team it would have been a first down and blah blah blah.

I was just noting that it has always been like that. Penalties unless declined ALWAYS replay the down.

Another was what should have been a pass interference call on Scandrick when he held on to DeSeans left hand on the Redskins last possession going into the half. Would have been a first down.

I don't get why the hands to the face (which happened during the play) wasn't enforced, since the offsetting PF's were after the play/dead ball fouls??

Also, the Paulsen 15 yard PF for entering/leaving the huddle.. Why do they risk players getting injured on a play they already know is going to be called back, long before the ball is even snapped?? Seems like the same catagory as a false start to me? :wacko:

It wasn't in regard to the OPs original question, it was to yours.

There's a sense (not saying you, just a general sense in here) that many posters feel the rules have been altered over the last couple of years to benefit whoever is playing the Redskins. 

I was just noting that it has always been like that. Penalties unless declined ALWAYS replay the down.

1)  Yeah, I got that.  Rules here are that you don't start a thread for something that already has a thread similar to it.  So you're off there.

2)  So I've never said that, which you acknowledged, but thanks for taking your attitude out on me.  In my field we call that "displacement."

3)  Never claimed or implied a rule changed at any point.  You misread that.

Either way, your post was completely unnecessary and contributed absolutely nothing to the thread.  Don't try to explain it away, just man up, apologize, and move on.  Don't be an ass to fellow Redskins fans when we just beat Dallas.  That's just, no.

Sheesh, & I thought the Cardinal game was bad!

The game that was bad was the Eagles game. The refs gave them first downs 4-5 times when they failed on 3rd and never once called obvious TACKLING by their OL in Kerrigan, Hatcher, and Orakpo all game long.

Archived