Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"We've been losing. What I want is for us to finish dead last."

zoony

Like Steve Spurrier, Vinny Cerrato and Jim Zorn?  Those people?  Snyder struck it rich by being a hustler and by cashing in at the top of the crest of a very large wave.  I give him a ton of credit for it.  But, he does not know how to run a football franchise.  If that's not abundantly clear by now, don't know what to tell you.

I don't blame him for Spurrier....most people liked that hire......Vinny was a big mistake.

He hired Gibbs and Shanny...they failed him

I don't blame him for Spurrier....most people liked that hire......Vinny was a big mistake.

Spurrier I wouldn't blame him that much for

Gibbs and Shanahan both needed GMs and instead were allowed to be their own. In fact, the best way to build a title team is to hire a GM and let him pick the coach, not to pick a big-name elder coach and let him run the entire organization.

Point is that he shouldn't hire ANYONE but the GM.  If I won a few million, then I would want to open a store.  You know how often I would run that store?  Never, because I have no effing clue how to run a store.  That's what the manager is for.  But my name would still be on the door, so it's not like I have no stake in it.

1-15..I'm not sure this team is competent enough to lose 15 games and get the #1 overall. They'll probably win a meaningless games against the Bucs, Titans and Vikes to make them 4-12 and out of reach for the top prospect.

This team can't even tank right.

So many great posts and I used my daily allotments of thumbs up but this was so accurate I could not let it pass without agreeing.  I said the same thing today to a Giant's fan who actually thought the Skins were going to beat the hell out of his team.  I think last night was my undoing as a fan.  My line in the sand.  I can't stand it anymore.  I feel like a masochistic moron meaning I have come to know they are going to lose and I watch to see HOW because every time it is like a little mini camp on how to lose. And while the losing does not surprise me the HOW does every time.   I guarantee they will beat the damn Vikings while Peterson completes his anger management classes, child rearing classes or whatever the hell he will wind up doing.  Or the lowly Bucs.  

This team hasn't done a full rebuild and it will never be able to win consistently.  We might pull a 10-6 every few seasons but we aren't trying to build a contender like the Nats.  

The perfect time for a full rebuild was 2010. Everything, and I mean everything, was set up for it. Instead, Shanahan decided he could take that crappy old team, release several solid vets, switch to a 3-4 and turn it into an immediate playoff team, even in a season with no real free agency to utilize. Pathetic.

We didn't need a major rebuild this year, but we needed to think long-term. As good a player as Jason Hatcher unquestionably is, signing a 32 year old with a balky knee to a contract whose cap figures more than doubles in two years isn't exactly "planning for the future".

t's on record here on what I and many others think about Danny boy. That's never going to change. He's a disaster in so many ways it would take too long to point them out. He's poisoned this franchise and it all started when he tried to play fantasy football with this team when he bought it. It hasn't recovered since. He's a disaster. I can't stand the little ****. I loathe him. Please sell the team you little ****. We need to get your fingerprints off this franchise. Have you illegally cut down any more trees dick?

To this day it boggle my mind how fans defended Snyder during the Cerrato era? Often claiming he wasnt the problem, attacking other fans who pointed out he was always the consistent factor during the past decade.

Maybe he's still pulling the strings behind the scenes; maybe he really is staying out the way but at this point I have little hope for the future.

The perfect time for a full rebuild was 2010. Everything, and I mean everything, was set up for it. Instead, Shanahan decided he could take that crappy old team, release several solid vets, with to a 3-4 and turn it into an immediate playoff team, even in a season with no real free agency to utilize. Pathetic.

We didn't need a major rebuild this year, but we needed to think long-term. As good a player as Jason Hatcher unquestionably is, signing a 32 year old with a balky knee to a contract whose cap figures more than doubles in two years isn't exactly "planning for the future".

Oh i agree but then we brought in McNabb and Jamaal Brown.  Take your licks with Rex.     We lost out on 4 draft picks there!

I sadly agree with every point made by Zoony, except for shelving Griffin. If he were a sure thing, fine. That is not the case.

And maybe wait another month before we start actively, obviously tanking. It honestly shouldn't matter, we'll lose whether we try or not, but I just can't take the idea of losing to Tampa and Minnesota. That's ****ing horrible.

Given what Gibbs did with what he was given, I'd hardly say he failed.  He didn't get us to a SB, but he established an identity and had guys playing very hard for him.  Those 2005/07 playoff teams were fun to watch.  Hard to know what happened with Shanny, but one huge mistake from the get go was allowing Shanny to bring his son along with him.  I'm sure other owners would have put a stop to that kind of nepotism, and ultimately, Kyle was a huge part of the problem.

Forget legends, I just want us to draft OL, DL and secondary with every pick. Actually attack the problem instead of hoping the splash from another pick will somehow ripple over to other, more pressing issues.

Well, we drafted OL with our two 3rd rounders and they are still on the bench.  Heck, when Polumbus went down a couple of weeks ago, Compton stepped in for him.  It wasn't even Moses.  What good are all these picks if we don't get players who can play at a decent level in their first year?

Some of you all may know me as a homer. But what I had to endure last night at FedEx may have pushed me over the homerism line. The experience last night was abysmal.

I don't blame our fans for leaving, it's your ticket, you paid for it, ****ing leave if you want to. You deserve better!

And to find out that Chris "check the stats ****!" Baker was wearing a Yankees hat after the game was priceless. I'm happy all three of his ny teams won yesterday, wouldn't want him to go to sleep upset.

I'm still very hot about last night.

Well, we drafted OL with our two 3rd rounders and they are still on the bench.  Heck, when Polumbus went down a couple of weeks ago, Compton stepped in for him.  It wasn't even Moses.  What good are all these picks if we don't get players who can play at a decent level in their first year?

The last OL we drafted early is a pro bowl staple. I want more of that.

If RG3 is physically healthy after the bye, he needs to play.  The guy needs reps....I don't want to have 2015 as another "learning" year.

Man, in the 14 years of ES, I don't think I've ever seen the membership this down.  Folks, this is a first year head coach.....yeah, I know....Chip Kelly......but that is the exception.  Normally there is pain involved. But, as usual, you guys bought into the hype.

Whoa there buddy, expecting the team to not be pitiful is not buying into the hype. There are plenty of teams that have painful years that don't get embarrassed like that. Last night was pathetic. And I've seen this board just as down in other years. Jim Zorn's second year, Shanny's first year after getting embarrassed by the Eagles, the entirety of the Beck/Grossman failure, and last year. If you were here for 14 years, I'm sure it was pretty pessimistic during some of the Spurrier experiment.

As far as Griffin, he absolutely needs to play if he's declared healthy. The team needs to see if either QB is still worth a fart. If neither QB shows up, then the team would be foolish not to look into drafting a guy like Marcus Mariota. And given the play of the rest of the team, we will have a high draft pick if there is consistent sub-mediocre to poor QB play. 

The Browns got a freaking number one pick for the corpse of Trent Richardson.

Mike Tomlin traded up to take a punter. Mike Mularkey took a punter before Russel Wilson.

Teams do dumb ****. Exploit that.

You are correct. The problem is we are one of the teams that does dumb ****.

For what it's worth, as per my title, if we lose a few more (now that we have a 1st rounder) I will be starting another in depth, comprehensive draft position thread, so that everyone can keep track of where we're going to wind up.  I promise to make it look pretty like last time.

Whoa there buddy, expecting the team to not be pitiful is not buying into the hype. There are plenty of teams that have painful years that don't get embarrassed like that. Last night was pathetic. And I've seen this board just as down in other years. Jim Zorn's second year, Shanny's first year after getting embarrassed by the Eagles, the entirety of the Beck/Grossman failure, and last year. If you were here for 14 years, I'm sure it was pretty pessimistic during some of the Spurrier experiment.

Its just between last night and today, the ferocity of this fanbase a whopping four games into Gruden's tenure is stunning.  I know that the board has been pretty down before......the middle of Zorn's second season was probably the nadir, and the end of the Ol Ball Coach was a close second......but man, at least those regimes were given THAT long.  This is four games in. The Eagles came in here and smacked us around 37-7 in Spurrier's first home game, and I don't recall a reaction that I've seen over the past 24 hours. Its like 20 years of frustration has just been let loose.

Of course, we're dealing with a fanbase whose preseason analysis of the 2014 Skins boils down to "ooooh, RG3 is going to have a chip on his shoulder and is going to BALL!!"  As if Griffin or Cousins or McCoy or whoever plays all 22 positions on the field.  We did little to nothing to bolster the O-line, and ditto with the secondary.  Eli Manning, who has a couple of rings courtesy of some nice playoff runs, comes in here and lights us up.......and people are surprised how?

Zoony:  Spot on analysis even if I think there is some hidden satire in there. 

Two silver linings:  1) Trent isn't out for the season  & 2) At least we aren't in the cap hell that we were in in previous years...  Do you remember the gymnastics that we used to have to undertake each year as Dan's "cap wizards" kicked the can down the road.

That being said if you are asking the question "can we be competitive this year?"  The answer is a profoundly painful "Only when it matters least" if recent seasons are any indication of the future.

Knowing this team, KC will rebound next week, and we'll probably hang in but ultimately lose to the Seahawks, and the KC crowd will be back in full force.

My wife repeatedly asks why I am still a fan of the Redskins and likens my yearly ordeal to S&M... 

Well, don't sign him then.  Not sure I'm following you

I do think there is some sort of league minimum that must be spent, and some sort of NFLPA about number of vets needed to be on a roster.  Anyone knkow the rules on this?

There does appear to be a league minimum of about 89%  

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/players-seek-maximum-but-minimum-spending-rule-could-have-big-impact-031014

But apparently this applies to over a four year period?

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/2/14/3989726/nfl-salary-cap-floor-why-it-isnt-forcing-the-buccaneers-to-spend

With Commisar Goodell in charge, who knows what the actual rules are.   If he doesn't like your team, he will find a way to screw you.

I've often wondered why bad Teams like us and the Jaguars don't adopt a 3 year plan and really stick with it.  I mean a REAL 3 year plan.  Most plans adopted are the "future is now" and "get better every day" BS you hear from NFL Films in the 1970s.

I mean a 3 year plan similar to:

2015:  Trade 1st round pick for a 1st and a 2nd in 2017 and a 2nd in 2018.  Trade 2nd round pick for a 2nd and a 3rd in 2017.  Use remaining picks on guys that are physical freaks but suck at football.  Play them, watch them suck, learn, and grow to their ceilings.  Trade anybody of value on your team that you can.  If you have a guy worth a 3rd round pick, surely he'd be worth a 2nd in 2017, wouldnt he?  Do that. 

2016.  Do the same, trade out of the first and second rounds. 

2017:  Use your 28 draft picks including 3 first rounders, 9 2nd rounders, etc. etc. and literally pick your entire football team from the draft.  Supplement your roster with the physical freaks who have learned how to play over the past two years and the $50 million you have in cap space saved up. 

I know I'm being a bit ridciulous but I stand firmly by my point- why haven't we seen any kind of strategy like this from any nfl team, ever?

I daydream about this a lot.  I wouldn't take the physical freaks in 2015, I would take the smart guys/good route runners/overachievers who don't have the physical numbers but can learn your system.  Doesn't matter if they get beat as long as they can execute it.  Then in 2016 and 2017 you start plugging in the guys who can both do it and have the numbers.

Yep, one more band-aid fix will transform this demolition project into a perennial contender. 

Smart-ass comments aside, I do actually still think Gruden could do fine here. 

I don't consider an overhaul of the OL and cleaning house of our defensive coaching staff to be a band-aid.  And I said nothing about being a perennial contender, but I think we could turn it around and head in the right direction.

Bruce needs to go.  That ain't happening.  Snyder needs to go.  That ain't happening.  So, in my feeble brain, I think the best that we could do is hire a top notch coaching staff.  I think Gruden has a shot to be a good HC, I think his scheme is good and can win games in this league.

I'd blow the whole ****ing thing up, including Fedex field if I could, but that ain't happening.  Face it, if we are gonna ever be consistently good, we are gonna have to do it in spite of Snyder and Bruce Allen.  Give me a Gruden offense and a Wade Phillips defense, and I think we could be competitive.

If that's a band-aid idea to you, one worthy of your mocking, then mock away.  

Archived