Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"We've been losing. What I want is for us to finish dead last."

zoony

Another Article...

From the same article you quoted...

But what the Cardinals did, oddly enough, is counter to the trend in the league. More and more coaches are becoming more involved with play calling, a la the Bears' Lovie Smith.

It makes sense for the head coach to be involved with play calling at some level. Take it from one of the NFL's most respected men -- two-time Super Bowl winner Bill Parcells.

"As the head coach, you are responsible to manage the game," said Parcells, who called offensive plays during some of his coaching career. "I would never, ever put the game totally in the hands of an assistant coach. I don't think it's smart to do that. Bill Walsh and Tom Landry are the two guys who influenced me that way the most. They said look, you might let them run the game, they might be calling the plays, but you need to be right there when you want to get your 2 cents in and how you want the game to go. It may not be specifically -- OK, 64 wide right, deep post. But it may be -- I want to throw the ball downfield this time. I want a good, hard play-action. We need to try to score on this play. We're going to run it on second-and-short. Things like that."

Belichick says there are different ways to do it, but coaches should look at what's best for their particular team.

"I feel with my experience as a coach -- I've coached special teams for eight years, defense and offense, I can go in an area and not feel lost," he said. "So if there is something that needs to be said, I can do that. Or I can tell a coach to say it or we can have a meeting and say it. I don't feel out of my element."

The point is teams can be successful with or without the head coach calling plays.

What's our batting average as of now (like, say, over the last 5 years)? I don't feel like doing the research lol...

Ugh, I think we've been consistently decent for 1 guy out of each draft.  Of course 2008 produced nothing, but 2012 was nice with several hits.

So that is about .100 maybe? 

So really, you only need to bat about .350 on dudes in the draft to build a perrenial contender, is that what I'm reading?

Because that seems easy when you put it like that.  I think a lot of guys on this forum could do it.

Yet, we cant. lol

Other than Morris when the last time we hit on a guy outside of the 1st round? Who turned into a productive player for a handful of years? 

What was it the 08 draft? Three second round picks...high picks...all three are out of the NFL...that sums up our drafting over the years. 

That is an interesting way to look at it.

Do you suppose Allen and Snyder have sat down and discussed this over large slabs of protein slathered in bearnaise and wine?

Because if I owned a team, these are the kind of discussions I would have 12 times a day with anyone in my front office.

If you have a 45 man roster, ideally you have 30 of those guys on their first contract

Maybe 2-3 on a 3rd contract

The "core" 10-12 guys should be late in contract 1 or on contract 2

For anyone who is about to proclaim that no team or fan should ever think this....go back to our 5-11 season where we won some pointless game and clearly couldn't field a winning roster.  We could have legitimately ended up with the #2 pick.  Think about how much different our fortunes would have been with a 1st rounder RT, 1st round CB, and a 2nd round OG.

Add in to that mix the reduced pressure on Griffin that the trade places on him and we'd be in a MUCH better position.

Your post assumes that the FO would have invested in the OL.

They probably would have taken a P, K, and WR with those picks.

Yet, we cant. lol

Other than Morris when the last time we hit on a guy outside of the 1st round? Who turned into a productive player for a handful of years? 

What was it the 08 draft? Three second round picks...high picks...all three are out of the NFL...that sums up our drafting over the years. 

Guys like Keenan Robinson, Perry Riley, Chris Baker are how its supposed to be done.

Other then those 3, we have a whole bunch of nothing 

So really, you only need to bat about .350 on dudes in the draft to build a perrenial contender, is that what I'm reading?

Because that seems easy when you put it like that.  I think a lot of guys on this forum could do it.

I think you only need to hit on around 30 percent to maintain a perrenial contender provided some of the guys you draft are superior.

I keep going back to the Steelers, but if you draft Polamalu one year and Roethlisberger the next....and then develop them and use them properly.....it's going to be hard for you not to be 9-7 for the next 8 years or so. Like one of them needs to rape a girl in a bathroom and even then you might still go to the Super Bowl. Allegedly. The rape. Not the Super Bowl. They actually went to the Super Bowl that year.

Or you can go the Colts route and draft Peyton Manning and then ANYONE on your roster is going to go 12-4 every year. Seriously, has a front office ever been more exposed than Indy's the year Peyton sat out?

You clearly need a QB. You probably need a decent coach. You need one other Grade A level talent on offense and maybe 2 or 3 on D. But you can roll with that.

Also, let's talk about Jordan Reed and Niles Paul.  He is often held up as an example of our FO starting to 'get it right' with draft picks and player development. 

In watching the NFL this year, I'm convinced that good quality TE's might be easier to find than RB's.  Every team has a good TE.  We got torched by whatshisface last night, I don't think that guy was even drafted.

So excuse me if I don't get excited about Reed and Niles Paul.

Guys like Keenan Robinson, Perry Riley, Chris Baker are how its supposed to be done.

Other then those 3, we have a whole bunch of nothing 

Yes, outside of the 1st round we struggle finding guys with real talent....which is why every year we sign 5-10 guys via FA

Also, let's talk about Jordan Reed and Niles Paul.  He is often held up as an example of our FO starting to 'get it right' with draft picks and player development. 

In watching the NFL this year, I'm convinced that good quality TE's might be easier to find than RB's.  Every team has a good TE.  We got torched by whatshisface last night, I don't think that guy was even drafted.

Well i think every team has a decent TE but only a few have Graham, Gronk and Thomas...true playmakers...think some seen that in Reed but...

Here's where I'm frustrated- I don't even know where to start with fixing this team. Where is the ineptitude stemming from? As everyone else has said this is like groundhog day with this franchise but I can't figure out what the plan should be to win a championship. Seriously- I don't even know where to begin. What's the roadmap for us?

What's our batting average as of now (like, say, over the last 5 years)? I don't feel like doing the research lol...

I have a thread on this. It's probably on the front page still.

Our hit percentage is actually okay, I think.

Our chief problem is we NEVER have picks.

Over the last ten years, we have had 21 picks in Rounds 1, 2, and 3. That's it.

The 49ers, I think, had 33 or 34.

So, simple math. If the 49ers hit on 1/3 of their picks, they have 11 solid players out of the rounds where you find stars. If we hit on 1/3, we have 7. They win.

From the same article you quoted...

The point is teams can be successful with or without the head coach calling plays.

Exactly.  They said that the coach should be able to dictate plays in spots.  Not calling every play.  That's not to say Chip Kelly can't do it.  But he also did the same thing as the head coach of Oregon.  That's not an apples to apples comparison of Jay Gruden, who has not been a head coach in NFL or college, doing it.  

I am not saying Jerry Jones is some brilliant strategist or anything, but he removed play calling duties from Garrett because it's too much for most new coaches.  It's the same reason why owners have trended towards Special Teams coaches.  They know they are going to delegate offense and defense out to their coordinators.  

Here's where I'm frustrated- I don't even know where to start with fixing this team. Where is the ineptitude stemming from? As everyone else has said this is like groundhog day with this franchise but I can't figure out what the plan should be to win a championship. Seriously- I don't even know where to begin. What's the roadmap for us?

A few assumptions here, but let's pretend we're picking in the Top 5.  Two strategies - trade that back into the early 2nd and 3rd round where we could literally draft 4 offensive lineman with starting potential, or simply take a safety or corner with the top pick and an Olineman with our 2nd round pick and 3rd round pick.  I'd be fine with either, really.

Ugh, if this were 2011, then go for it.  i *REALLY* wanted it, but no, we had to go and win games that REALLY didn't matter but fans at the time blasted me for wanting the other team to win (quick, name the last six teams we played and what the W-L was for each of them).  So shortsighted and stupid.

I don't know a thing about this year's draft.  By this time in 2011 I knew a little about RGIII, and Luck was supposed to go #1 in 2011 so obviously he'd be #1 in 2012 without a disaster season.  Whiffin for Griffin, Suck for Luck, Take-a-pill 'till Tannehill; I was for all of those.  It was all, really, we had to look forward to.

I don't know if there's anyone I'd want in the 2015 draft.

I'm pretty sure if we upset the Seahawks everyone will be talking about how the Giants game was a fluke, and we are the best team in the division again.

I will need to add another option to my list of replies should that happen, though they could probably just check the "you are an idiot" box.

Every team seems capable of finding a sleeper skilled position guy. It's the sleeper linemen that turn you into contenders.

We actually had maybe the best sleeper linebacker of the past decade on our roster in Pierce and let the ****er walk. (Granted that was a lifetime ago, but it shows how under Snyder even when he get it right, we get it wrong).

We also had maybe the best sleeper defensive back in Ryan Clark. All that guy did is start on one of the greatest defensives ever when he left (and nearly killed a running back on national tv. That hit he put on McGahee in the AFCCG is the single scariest play ever I'ver seen).

At least he's back now, being a strong contributer at age 77.

I like Orakpo, but if he leaves for free we probably get a 2nd rounder in compensation. 

I remember when we drafted Murphy there were people saying he was going to replace Kerrigan, not Orakpo. We would let Kerrigan walk and keep 98. I'm so glad this team isn't run by fans. On second thought, could it really be any worse?

Every team seems capable of finding a sleeper skilled position guy. It's the sleeper linemen that turn you into contenders.

We actually had maybe the best sleeper linebacker of the past decade on our roster in Pierce and let the ****er walk. (Granted that was a lifetime ago, but it shows how under Snyder even when he get it right, we get it wrong).

We also had maybe the best sleeper defensive back in Ryan Clark. All that guy did is start on one of the greatest defensives ever when he left (and nearly killed a running back on national tv. That hit he put on McGahee in the AFCCG is the single scariest play ever I'ver seen).

At least he's back now, being a strong contributer at age 77.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

But seriously, it's so important to make sure that we not only draft good talent but KEEP it, too.  Clark gone for Arch Deluxe (for whatever reason).  Pierce gone for, well, nobody.  It's like we just build them up and let them peace out.

We need to draft well first, yes, and then we need to develop the talent correctly.  Give a diamond to a monkey and it's worthless.  Give a couple sapphires to a master jeweler and it'll be invaluable.

. . . that was a horrible analogy.

I remember when we drafted Murphy there were people saying he was going to replace Kerrigan, not Orakpo. We would let Kerrigan walk and keep 98. I'm so glad this team isn't run by fans. On second thought, could it really be any worse?

Uhh...this team is run by fans and yes it's a bad thing.

Archived