Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"We've been losing. What I want is for us to finish dead last."

zoony

You have to treat it like college coaches do

You have 10 rookies that make your roster each year.

7 you will discard after their first contract and keep 3 on a 2nd contract

You keep churning your roster over systematically 

That's essentially the Steeler Way from Cowher through Tomlin.

If you ever go back and look at their drafts, it's not overwhelming. Not every pick is Troy Polamalu or Ben Roethlisberger. But there is generally 3 or 4 guys who played for them for a long time.

The Patriots do that to some degree as well, though Belichick likes to get a little cuter in terms of roster management.

I know it was only Jacksonville, but after that win in week 2, I felt really good about this team. The way Cousins and the O played and how the D dominated, I thought we were going to be okay. Again, I know Jacksonville is horrendous, but we beat a bad team the way good teams beat bad teams...if ya know what I'm sayin. Anyway, last Sunday morning I felt like we were going to beat Philly and I was the most pumped I've been for a Skins game since the division clincher against Dallas in the 2012 finale. I figured after we beat Philly, we'll come home on a big high for the Thursday nighter and take care of the G-Men to go 3-1, putting us in control of the division by the end of the work week.

Well, here it is Friday, just five days after all the excitment I had last Sunday morning and after losing both those games, our season is over just like that. Damn, this franchise is depressing!

I felt better about the way we played agasint Philly than we did the Jags. We went to Philly played an outstanding game...wasn't for our terrible ST we very well could have walked away with a W....then the way we played last night just proved to me that nothing has changed...we are still the same team that got destroyed by Philly a few years ago. Just added a few flashy parts...but thats it. 

We are like a sports car with a ****ty engine in it....looks flashy on paper but when you look under the hood youre gonna be disappointed. 

While I am incredibly displeased with the lack of effort in last night's game, I don't think I'm at a point where I've fully given up on the Skins. I have to rely on the fact that the two games before the train wreck at home against the Giants provides a glimmer of hope that we are a great deal more talented than what this team put on display last night.

Yes, we play Seattle next. Yes, Seattle's a ****ing great and talented team, and it is likely capable of generating even more points in a victory against us than the Gnats laid on us. But I have to believe there's something in each of these players playing for the Redskins that can motivate them to overcome that last loss and move on.

I can't hang my B&G glasses up just yet. When we're actually 1-5, talk to me then. But for now, I'm holding out for hope.

So true..amazing what stability at the QB and head coach can do for an organization. 

I think it sort of goes without saying that you need the QB for any of this to really work.

The Steelers were competitive before Roethlisberger; they actually started going to Super Bowls after him.

While I am incredibly displeased with the lack of effort in last night's game, I don't think I'm at a point where I've fully given up on the Skins. I have to rely on the fact that the two games before the train wreck at home against the Giants provides a glimmer of hope that we are a great deal more talented than what this team put on display last night.

We have 11 sacks on the season.

10 came in one game.

5.  Play for the #1 overall pick.  

For anyone who is about to proclaim that no team or fan should ever think this....go back to our 5-11 season where we won some pointless game and clearly couldn't field a winning roster.  We could have legitimately ended up with the #2 pick.  Think about how much different our fortunes would have been with a 1st rounder RT, 1st round CB, and a 2nd round OG.

Add in to that mix the reduced pressure on Griffin that the trade places on him and we'd be in a MUCH better position.

Just shut it down.  Concede the season.  At 1-5 our only hope would be to go 9-1 if we want to get anywhere near the playoffs.  This roster should never be confused with a team capable of .500 ball, much less a 9-1 run.

There's a problem with this part of the OP:

If--IF--our head coach, GM and owner all "conceded" the season after 4 games, none of them have what it takes to build a winner. So all the bullet points you outlines after this paragraph would be irrelevant because the men who conceded the year already and "shut down" the team in week 5 would never, ever, EVER have the talents, skills and ability to do anything with whatever benefits came with shutting down for the season.

It's like saying "Ok, Gruden, Allen and Synder...admit that you're all total failures without even a miniscule ability to understand what needs to be done to build even a competent team, nonetheless a winner...just admit it, right now, this second. Admit that you guys collectively have no measurable clue as to what needs to be done to turn the Redskins into even a mediocre team, nonetheless a contender. Admit it!

Now, go draft a bunch of gems and turn this team into a consistent winner!"

Besides, every player on the team would want a trade if the team leaders took your advice. The only ones who wouldn't would be those players you really don't want on the team anyway. It's funny, but in 2012 after the loss of the Panthers Shanahan said something that many interpreted as "Welp, so much for this season...might as well give up on salvaging it and use these last 7 games as an evaluation period for next year's squad". And he got blasted for it in the media and apparently here on ES. But this thread is suggesting the same thing as Shanahan was supposed to be saying, only it's doing it 5 games earlier in the season lol...

Yes, we play Seattle next. Yes, Seattle's a ****ing great and talented team, and it is likely capable of generating even more points in a victory against us than the Gnats laid on us. But I have to believe there's something in each of these players playing for the Redskins that can motivate them to overcome that last loss and move on.

I can't hang my B&G glasses up just yet. When we're actually 1-5, talk to me then. But for now, I'm holding out for hope.

yep. exactly what ive been thinking. until we are mathematically eliminated, i will continue to cheer for a playoff push. after that, if we get mathematically eliminated, i will still watch the games, cause in the offseason i will be missing football. only 16 games, and it goes by in a hurry.

califan, i was advocating bruce hire  a gm to do the rebuilding.  wont happen but i can dream

all I want out of bruce is to be that piece of paper for Dan that says "how do you keep an idiot busy, turn over" on both sides.  Let Bruce have the employee that is telling him he is an idiot and doing it wrong.

I think that Bruce could stand that kind of thing.  He seems like a reasonable guy

Same article...

Another Article...

"It's fair to say you might lose a little track of something if you are calling plays," Belichick said. "I don't necessarily think you lose track of game management, but it's possible."

New Lions coach Jim Schwartz was the defensive play caller in Tennessee, but he is assigning coordinator Gunther Cunningham that responsibility in Detroit.

pixel.gif

"I'm going to have enough on my plate," Schwartz said according to Mlive.com. "I think the head coach's role is to manage the game and his role is to set a clear vision of what he wants the game plan to be."

According to Parcells' thinking, Schwartz, a rookie head coach, could be doing the smart thing by delegating. Whereas Smith, a veteran of five NFL seasons as a head coach, might be ready to go back to his play-calling roots.

"When you are young, it's too much to do both," Parcells said. "When you get the lay of the land, I don't think it's too much. But the reverse usually happens. Young guys stay in it, they do their half and they don't round themselves out as coaches. Older ones step back because they realize they probably are not coaching the whole team well enough if they are just doing one side."

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2009-02-01/sports/0901310152_1_todd-haley-calling-offensive

Im on the fence too on benching Griffin. Coming back to play for a 1-9, 2-7, 3-6 team that like people said last year when cousins played the last 3 games "mailed it in" wont do him any good and get him killed behind our offensive line. I cant believe we went into this season with Haslett, Polumbus and Chester.

I don't really have any confidence in this so called front office to have a good draft outside of the 1st round pick. No one in the NFL will tell you that Bruce Allen is a legit GM and he's the one responsible for it. We have a poor scouting department. We don't develop players. For a team that finished 3-13 last season, our top 3 picks aren't contributing much, if at all. Why is that? Because these picks were reaches. Murphy was a reach at 2nd round as he was projected between 3-4th. We've used 4 3rd round picks on OL in the past few years and none of them are ready to play. That's poor player development. What about the 2nd rounders? Amerson, Jenkins...they aren't anything to drool over. 

We will continue to stink as long as there's no football GM.

You have to treat it like college coaches do

You have 10 rookies that make your roster each year.

7 you will discard after their first contract and keep 3 on a 2nd contract

You keep churning your roster over systematically 

To follow up on my point about the Steelers. They built their great team of the 2000s, starting in '98. And they only got a few dudes each year. But they kept getting dudes year after year. Dude.

98 - Faneca, Ward, Townsend. That's two potential hall of famers and a starting CB. That's a good draft.

99 - Porter, Smith. Just two guys. But All Pro level defenders.

00 - Burress, Smith, Haagans. A headcase starter, a long term LT, and a starter. Three dudes.

01 - Hampton, Bell - The best NT in football for about a decade and a flameout rookie of the year. Whom they dumped. Really just one dude.

02 - This draft was loaded. Keisel was the 7th rounder and that dude is STILL starting. Simmons started for years. Randle El. Hope. Foote. I think Haynes got a super bowl ring. Maybe not.

03 - Polamalu and Taylor. Just two guys. But both were starters in 2014.

04 - Roehtlisberger and Starks. Just two guys. But one is Big Ben and the other started for years.

05 - They got 4 starters out of this draft.

06 - San Antonio Holmes was here. But this draft is the start of things starting to go South.

07 - 4 Starters here.

08 - This draft sucked.

09 - Aside from Wallace this draft sucked too.

That's why things went south after the Super Bowl. 3 out 4 bad drafts with no dudes

Im on the fence too on benching Griffin. Coming back to play for a 1-9, 2-7, 3-6 team that like people said last year when cousins played the last 3 games "mailed it in" wont do him any good and get him killed behind our offensive line. I cant believe we went into this season with Haslett, Polumbus and Chester.

Yes sir! Its about quality reps not quantity. If guys have mailed it...Robert will be running for his life.

califan, i was advocating bruce hire  a gm to do the rebuilding.  wont happen but i can dream

A GM who "conceeded" the season in week 5 and shut down the team would never in a billion years be able to find and hire a competent GM, not to mention I'm not sure a competent GM would even WANT to work for a franchise where is immediate supervisor and the owner all have that mentality. People don't get into sports because they're pragmatic lol...they get into sports because they crave competition and coming out on top (and for the money and women..heh)

all I want out of bruce is to be that piece of paper for Dan that says "how do you keep an idiot busy, turn over" on both sides.  Let Bruce have the employee that is telling him he is an idiot and doing it wrong.

And yet you want that same guy to hire his own replacement and to also do a good job of it...you just compared him to a piece of paper lol (so to speak)...

To get what you're suggesting would require a brand new owner. If that ain't happening--and it ain't--might as well hope we win from one week to the next.

Exactly.  But neither Snyder nor Allen have the kind of moxie to pull something like this off.  They have 0 self confidence and could never stomach 2 abysmal seasons.

Which is what needs to happen.

That is also probably why your scenario of trading for future picks might not work, though I would love to see us try it. I think teams are far too worried about the PR disaster of tanking seasons to try it. But it's that type of innovation (or something similar) that help teams succeed. 

I would be so encouraged to see the front office pull something like that off. We would need a young, dynamic GM to try that. A lifetime NFL guy wouldn't consider it. 

The way Chip Kelly is doing things differently at the coaching level is what we need at the executive/general manager level. 

A GM who "conceeded" the season in week 5 and shut down the team would never in a billion years be able to find and hire a competent GM, not to mention I'm not sure a competent GM would even WANT to work for a franchise where is immediate supervisor and the owner all have that mentality. People don't get into sports because they're pragmatic lol...they get into sports because they crave competition and coming out on top (and for the money and women..heh)

And yet you want that same guy to hire his own replacement and to also do a good job of it...you just compared him to a piece of paper lol (so to speak)...

To get what you're suggesting would require a brand new owner. If that ain't happening--and it ain't--might as well hope we win from one week to the next.

And, into the vortex.

lol

So really, you only need to bat about .350 on dudes in the draft to build a perrenial contender, is that what I'm reading?

Because that seems easy when you put it like that.  I think a lot of guys on this forum could do it.

10 rookies between draft picks/UDFAs every year must be on your roster

You get 3 of them to a 2nd contract, and 7 of them to play contribute throughout their first contract, you are in good shape 

So really, you only need to bat about .350 on dudes in the draft to build a perrenial contender, is that what I'm reading?

Because that seems easy when you put it like that.  I think a lot of guys on this forum could do it.

What's our batting average as of now (like, say, over the last 5 years)? I don't feel like doing the research lol...

10 rookies between draft picks/UDFAs every year must be on your roster

You get 3 of them to a 2nd contract, and 7 of them to play contribute throughout their first contract, you are in good shape 

That is an interesting way to look at it.

Do you suppose Allen and Snyder have sat down and discussed this over large slabs of protein slathered in bearnaise and wine?

Because if I owned a team, these are the kind of discussions I would have 12 times a day with anyone in my front office.

Archived