Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"We've been losing. What I want is for us to finish dead last."

zoony

I think it's a great (especially in specific details) post, even though I totally reject "play to lose to get a higher draft pick" thinking.

However, no matter what, there remains this (afaic): I don't see the evidence that Dan Snyder has what it takes to make a successful hiring decision for any position designed to lead this franchise in the football sense, period. As the "top" of the food chain, any No.2 (GM/whatever) will always be decided by Snyder as long as Snyder owns the team.

The evidence I see is his choices result in failure after failure---even if the defense is it's mainly a string of horrible luck. If that is the major problem (a long road of serious bad luck) that means we're stuck with having to have good fortune (Redskins fans may be unfamiliar with this construct) re: the fruits of our FO/coaching leading to anything worthy like playoff appearances.

In my book, to achieve excellence you must have abilities that allow you to compensate/adapt for misfortunes and maintain and even increase productivity, and often enough, actually transcend bad luck much of the time. In most competitive environments, if you succumb mainly due to bad luck/bad breaks every time they show, or even most of the time, it means you lack the needed abilities to truly excel in the first place. 

Overall, for years now, despite illusory (and brief) moments of competitiveness (including the division winning 2012), we are regularly a farce of an organization in numerous aspects, on and off the field. The Washington Redskins are consistently run in a broadly incompetent  manner (going by results if winning games is as much the goal as just making money for Dan) whose lowness is matched only by 2 or 3 other sorry-ass franchises.

It appears our most realistic move is simply to wish for good luck. :lol:  :(

I think we're pretty much at the mercy of good and bad fortune versus making our own good fortune (we do make plenty of our own bad fortune). It seems we don't have what it takes to control our course in the positive sense. With a few (3?) personnel exceptions, we must rely mostly on good fortune for any positive record, given our performance level @ player/coaching.

So, any Redskins fans feeling lucky?  :unsure:

(wow---50 more replies while I typed this lol)

2017:  Use your 28 draft picks including 3 first rounders, 9 2nd rounders, etc. etc. and literally pick your entire football team from the draft.  Supplement your roster with the physical freaks who have learned how to play over the past two years and the $50 million you have in cap space saved up. 

I know I'm being a bit ridciulous but I stand firmly by my point- why haven't we seen any kind of strategy like this from any nfl team, ever?

The only drawback I could see with this plan is assuming you hit on the majority of those picks, when the rookie contracts ran out there's probably very little you could do to try to retain all of them underneath the salary cap.  A front office who was capable of picking that many good players would then obviously be able to let some of them go and replace them with new folks from subsequent drafts, but a front office who's already that capable wouldn't be in the situation we are in anyway, so they wouldn't have to have gone through this in the first place.

Well, don't sign him then.  Not sure I'm following you

I do think there is some sort of league minimum that must be spent, and some sort of NFLPA about number of vets needed to be on a roster.  Anyone knkow the rules on this?

DJax was just an example. No good free agent would sign with us with the goal being to suck for the next 3 years. Which means our entire team would be poorly-playing rookies and sophmores (poorly, because we hypothetically would be sucking during their rookie years). 

And then what would happen? Ok, 3 years have passed, we're ready to stop sucking now! Except our team is all rookies... so now we have to be bad for a little longer while they figure out how to play in the NFL. But then by the time their rookie contracts are done, they want to leave for a team that's good, because their careers have a very limited time frame and they want to make as much money as they can.

The point is, whether or not you plan on it, you have to at the very least maintain the illusion that you're trying to win now, or else you will never get the players to do it.

Do any of you "insiders" have any inside info on the actual infrastructure of this organization

Scouts, player development, analytics, nutrition, etc? 

I just wanna know who is making the actual picks. I would pay Bill Parcells just about anything he wants to come in here and run the drafts and FA. 

That would NEVER happen but until we get someone in here that can do that we will always be a below average team. 

DJax was just an example. No good free agent would sign with us with the goal being to suck for the next 3 years. Which means our entire team would be poorly-playing rookies and sophmores (poorly, because we hypothetically would be sucking during their rookie years). 

And then what would happen? Ok, 3 years have passed, we're ready to stop sucking now! Except our team is all rookies... so now we have to be bad for a little longer while they figure out how to play in the NFL. But then by the time their rookie contracts are done, they want to leave for a team that's good, because their careers have a very limited time frame and they want to make as much money as they can.

The point is, whether or not you plan on it, you have to at the very least maintain the illusion that you're trying to win now, or else you will never get the players to do it.

I seriously wouldn't worry about that at all.  If you're paying more than the next guy you're most likely getting the guy.  Besides you could wait until the year after your huge draft to explore free agency.

Overall, for years now, despite illusory (and brief) moments of competitiveness (including the division winning 2012), we are regularly a farce of an organization in numerous aspects, on and off the field. The Washington Redskins are consistently run in a broadly incompetent  manner (going by results if winning games is as much the goal as just making money for Dan) whose lowness is matched only by 2 or 3 other sorry-ass franchises.

It appears our most realistic move is simply to wish for good luck. :lol:  :(

When you realize that the NFL is designed as an entity for every team to go 8-8 every year and for every team to make the playoffs once every 3 years, you start to realize that the truly inept franchises are making decisions that actively HURT their chances of success. An NFL team should realistically make the most basic and obvious decision every time a decision needs to be made and the end result should be:

1. A .500 record and

2. Massive profits

It takes a lot of work to be as bad as the Skins have been over the years.

The only drawback I could see with this plan is assuming you hit on the majority of those picks, when the rookie contracts ran out there's probably very little you could do to try to retain all of them underneath the salary cap.

You don't need to retain them all.

The system that kept the Steelers competitive for 20 years (and I'm going to be pissed if the last two years were a temporary correction and not a trend toward losing) has been to always have your replacements on your roster. So, when those rookie deals roll over in three years, you let the ten guys you can replace go and sign the other 18 or so. And you do that forever if you are smart.

Sean Payton

Mike McCarthy

Andy Reid

Chip Kelly

Bruce Arians

Marc Trestman

Ken Whisenhunt

Bill O'Brien

Rex Ryan

http://espn.go.com/blog/tennessee-titans/post/_/id/4442/on-head-coaches-calling-the-plays

Same article...

"I think it is awfully tough to pull off," ESPN.com's resident scout, Matt Willliamson said. "You always have to be thinking a play ahead of time instead of 'living in the moment,' which can interfere with when to take timeouts, time management, etc. Also, if you are going to give it a shot on offense, I feel like you must have a great defensive coordinator that you totally trust to handle everything on that side of the ball." 

And how many of those guys are head coaches, that call plays, and are essentially the QB coach also?

The system that kept the Steelers competitive for 20 years (and I'm going to be pissed if the last two years were a temporary correction and not a trend toward losing) has been to always have your replacements on your roster. So, when those rookie deals roll over in three years, you let the ten guys you can replace go and sign the other 18 or so. And you do that forever if you are smart.

So true..amazing what stability at the QB and head coach can do for an organization. 

I know it was only Jacksonville, but after that win in week 2, I felt really good about this team. The way Cousins and the O played and how the D dominated, I thought we were going to be okay. Again, I know Jacksonville is horrendous, but we beat a bad team the way good teams beat bad teams...if ya know what I'm sayin. Anyway, last Sunday morning I felt like we were going to beat Philly and I was the most pumped I've been for a Skins game since the division clincher against Dallas in the 2012 finale. I figured after we beat Philly, we'll come home on a big high for the Thursday nighter and take care of the G-Men to go 3-1, putting us in control of the division by the end of the work week.

Well, here it is Friday, just five days after all the excitment I had last Sunday morning and after losing both those games, our season is over just like that. Damn, this franchise is depressing!

and another thing. Sorry Bruce Allen. But if you think you can ride the coattails of your father forever you are sorely mistaken. There was so much you've could've done to improve this team this past offseason, but you failed miserably. There was an influx of safeties on the market and you ignored it for far too long before it was too late. Right tackle? Child please. Brian Nosackpo's money could've landed us some very solid players. You have been put on notice.

Edit: How could I forget keeping Hasblows on the staff?

You have to treat it like college coaches do

You have 10 rookies that make your roster each year.

7 you will discard after their first contract and keep 3 on a 2nd contract

You keep churning your roster over systematically 

Yeah, cause the best RB in football won a **** ton of titles in Minnesota. 

If trading Almo returns a 1st, I'd do that trade yesterday. 

well...for a first round pick, that would be worth thinking about actually. especially if we wanna re-build our offensive line.

Are you posting from 1987? Put a lot of money on the Twins.

yep, i traveled back in time. its pretty cool actually.

Same article...

Same article...

Sean Payton and Mike McCarthy, in New Orleans and Green Bay, respectively, have coached their teams to Super Bowl wins.

Bruce Arians did wonderful work in his first year as head coach of Arizona, who was Whisenhunt’s successor with the Cardinals. Chip Kelly in Philadelphia, Marc Trestman in Chicago and Andy Reid in Kansas City all fared well in their first year with those teams.

Archived