Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"We've been losing. What I want is for us to finish dead last."

zoony

I usually wait a few weeks to start, this guy needs to be cut, and we need to start pulling in people off other teams practice squads mentality.

But add, don't play Porter when he's healthy.  Yet the young guys play and see what if anything you have with them.

I'll also say, get another QB in here.  I don't know who it should be, but somebody else, but start looking beyond KC and RGIII.  Presumably, they don't think McCoy is real option or he would have played some last night.  I understand keeping McCoy until RGIII is back, but cut Moss.

"We are not likely 1-5, we are 1-5". oh, really? did i miss the upcoming 2 games? what was the final score?

lol. posts like that make me embarrassed to be a part of this franchise. havent you heard "ANY GIVEN SUNDAY"??? we are not 1-5. we are 1-3 right now. we have a chance to be 2-3 next week, all we need is a win.

Everyone is embarrassed after last night. I don't think there is any harm in acknowledging the truth. The truth is we don't stand a chance against Seattle or Arizona. But I do admire your outlook.

I've often wondered why bad Teams like us and the Jaguars don't adopt a 3 year plan and really stick with it.  I mean a REAL 3 year plan.  Most plans adopted are the "future is now" and "get better every day" BS you hear from NFL Films in the 1970s.

I mean a 3 year plan similar to:

2015:  Trade 1st round pick for a 1st and a 2nd in 2017 and a 2nd in 2018.  Trade 2nd round pick for a 2nd and a 3rd in 2017.  Use remaining picks on guys that are physical freaks but suck at football.  Play them, watch them suck, learn, and grow to their ceilings.  Trade anybody of value on your team that you can.  If you have a guy worth a 3rd round pick, surely he'd be worth a 2nd in 2017, wouldnt he?  Do that. 

2016.  Do the same, trade out of the first and second rounds. 

2017:  Use your 28 draft picks including 3 first rounders, 9 2nd rounders, etc. etc. and literally pick your entire football team from the draft.  Supplement your roster with the physical freaks who have learned how to play over the past two years and the $50 million you have in cap space saved up. 

I know I'm being a bit ridciulous but I stand firmly by my point- why haven't we seen any kind of strategy like this from any nfl team, ever?

I'm not sure trading up and down is as easy as it used to be. The smart bad teams would have done this before the new CBA that didn't punish you when Sam Braford sucked. The money tied up in RGIII is actually not that awful. Bradford remains a millstone.

I've really gotten into listening to Dan Lebatard's show on podcast. I think he and his guys are funny. Anyway, Miami is currently involved in a stupid QB controversy between Tannehill and Matt Moore. Tannehill has been bad this year, but everyone knows Moore is bad. And Philbin at some point is going to go with Moore, because Moore is capable of pulling a 7-9 year out of this mess.....which gets Philbin another year in Miami. After which he will be fired, because Matt Moore is his QB. Coaches always always always want to win the next game. (Except Shanahan last year because he wanted to be fired).

A wise front office would sit down with Gruden and say, you are coaching here for three years unless you get caught up in a domestic abuse scandal. Take your time. Get yourself ready for year three. Because that's where we are judging you.

A wise front office would sit down with Gruden and say, you are coaching here for three years unless you get caught up in a domestic abuse scandal. Take your time. Get yourself ready for year three. Because that's where we are judging you.

Exactly.  But neither Snyder nor Allen have the kind of moxie to pull something like this off.  They have 0 self confidence and could never stomach 2 abysmal seasons.

Which is what needs to happen.

1-15..I'm not sure this team is competent enough to lose 15 games and get the #1 overall. They'll probably win a meaningless games against the Bucs, Titans and Vikes to make them 4-12 and out of reach for the top prospect.

This team can't even tank right.

This franchise was foolish enough to start Sexy Rexy in 2011 and get off to a 3-1 start, killing any chance of a tank.

The Colts did it right and went ALL IN on the 2011 tank. 

Why did Anthony Armstrong have to make that catch in Seattle? 

Everyone is embarrassed after last night. I don't think there is any harm in acknowledging the truth. The truth is we don't stand a chance against Seattle or Arizona. But I do admire your outlook.

i have a good feeling that we will beat seattle on MNF. if i am wrong, i will admit on ES that night immediately after the game that i was wrong. so heres to hoping i dont have to come back after the game to admit that :)

Exactly.  But neither Snyder nor Allen have the kind of moxie to pull something like this off.  They have 0 self confidence and could never stomach 2 abysmal seasons.

Which is what needs to happen.

In fairness to them, we really don't know if the Chubby Gruden is any good at being a head coach. That's where this gets tricky. You could have made this call at the beginning of year 2 with Zorn....and that means that Zorn is the coach until last year.

We don't really know where we are incompetent half the time. That's the problem.

I'm not sure trading up and down is as easy as it used to be. The smart bad teams would have done this before the new CBA that didn't punish you when Sam Braford sucked. The money tied up in RGIII is actually not that awful. Bradford remains a millstone.

With how cheap a top 5 pick is now, it costs much more to trade up.

I would love to trade down and see us accumulate multiple picks for the 2016 draft. But it needs to be a high price to move down since a top 5 talent in the draft is dirt cheap these days and you can keep that person for 6 years (4 years+option+franchise tag) 

With how cheap a top 5 pick is now, it costs much more to trade up.

I would love to trade down and see us accumulate multiple picks for the 2016 draft. But it needs to be a high price to move down since a top 5 talent in the draft is dirt cheap these days and you can keep that person for 6 years (4 years+option+franchise tag) 

Yea....I'm actually having trouble properly valuing the draft these days.

Didn't we actually try this strategy the year we ended up with the three idiots in the second round? (Kelly, Davis, and the other guy?)

Remember this past offseason, our mantra about Snyder was "At least he's not Haslam!"

You get the feeling that Haslam is doing the right things in Cleveland and doesn't care about his public perception.  He's willing to be blasted for 3 months straight on talk radio because he saw during the course of the season his Head Coach and GM didn't have what it took to win games at this level, despite his talent deficient roster.

I bet the Browns are a playoff team within 3 years.  Seriously.

Yea....I'm actually having trouble properly valuing the draft these days.

Didn't we actually try this strategy the year we ended up with the three idiots in the second round? (Kelly, Davis, and the other guy?)

Oh yea, the talent pickers have to be good also and able to project that a CB like Richard Sherman, whose college HC detested him, would be a perfect fit for their system 

I've really gotten into listening to Dan Lebatard's show on podcast. I think he and his guys are funny. Anyway, Miami is currently involved in a stupid QB controversy between Tannehill and Matt Moore. Tannehill has been bad this year, but everyone knows Moore is bad. And Philbin at some point is going to go with Moore, because Moore is capable of pulling a 7-9 year out of this mess.....which gets Philbin another year in Miami. After which he will be fired, because Matt Moore is his QB. Coaches always always always want to win the next game. (Except Shanahan last year because he wanted to be fired).

Isn't easier now because of the lack of money tied up into the picks?  

In the past, I don't think there was a whole lot of interest in moving up to the top because you were going to pay big money for that player, which normally meant getting a QB made sense, which good teams didn't want.  And then if you were wrong about the QB, you had issues with the cap.

Generally, I don't think people do this because it would mean losing your fans for a year or two and in the NFL where season tickets are a big deal that would be a disaster.  I'm pretty sure that the league wouldn't like it either because you'd almost certain run afowl of the blackout issue.

However, it would almost certainly make sense to do what zoony is suggesting probably not to the extent he is suggesting, but the general idea certainly makes sense.

Isn't easier now because of the lack of money tied up into the picks?  

In the past, I don't think there was a whole lot of interest in moving up to the top because you were going to pay big money for that player, which normally meant getting a QB made sense, which good teams didn't want.

Generally, I don't think people do this because it would mean losing your fans for a year or two and in the NFL where season tickets are a big deal that would be a disaster.  I'm pretty sure that the league wouldn't like it either because you'd almost certain run afowl of the blackout issue.

However, it would almost certainly make sense to do what zoony is suggesting.

It certainly is "cheaper" cap wise to move up and down in round 1.

However the cost to trade down needs to be high. You need to get a premium.

I am not sure what Buffalo traded to CLE to move up. But you need to get at least multiple 1st rounders out of it 

Redskins need to address the FO.  Picks don't do any good if the current structure is responsible for administering them.

Probably not the best time to offer your opinion 

I've often wondered why bad Teams like us and the Jaguars don't adopt a 3 year plan and really stick with it.  I mean a REAL 3 year plan.  Most plans adopted are the "future is now" and "get better every day" BS you hear from NFL Films in the 1970s.

I mean a 3 year plan similar to:

2015:  Trade 1st round pick for a 1st and a 2nd in 2017 and a 2nd in 2018.  Trade 2nd round pick for a 2nd and a 3rd in 2017.  Use remaining picks on guys that are physical freaks but suck at football.  Play them, watch them suck, learn, and grow to their ceilings.  Trade anybody of value on your team that you can.  If you have a guy worth a 3rd round pick, surely he'd be worth a 2nd in 2017, wouldnt he?  Do that. 

2016.  Do the same, trade out of the first and second rounds. 

2017:  Use your 28 draft picks including 3 first rounders, 9 2nd rounders, etc. etc. and literally pick your entire football team from the draft.  Supplement your roster with the physical freaks who have learned how to play over the past two years and the $50 million you have in cap space saved up. 

I know I'm being a bit ridciulous but I stand firmly by my point- why haven't we seen any kind of strategy like this from any nfl team, ever?

Its because of free agency. Theres no way in the world DJax would have signed with us if we had told him "we're aiming to be good 3 years from now, just drop balls until then so we can lose a bunch of games and get good draft picks. THEN showcase yourself so you can get a huge contract in the future."

Its because of free agency. Theres no way in the world DJax would have signed with us if we had told him "we're aiming to be good 3 years from now, just drop balls until then so we can lose a bunch of games and get good draft picks. THEN showcase yourself so you can get a huge contract in the future."

Well, don't sign him then.  Not sure I'm following you

I do think there is some sort of league minimum that must be spent, and some sort of NFLPA about number of vets needed to be on a roster.  Anyone knkow the rules on this?

It certainly is "cheaper" cap wise to move up and down in round 1.

However the cost to trade down needs to be high. You need to get a premium.

I am not sure what Buffalo traded to CLE to move up. But you need to get at least multiple 1st rounders out of it 

The cost to trade down is what you require it to be.

People might say it was a bad move, but you can make the trade (and in the process help create a talent deficient roster in the process) if you want.

Well, if the goal was to tank, you don't sign DJax in the first place. And I'm not sure there was really a line around the block for that guy anyway. Part of me thinks that signing was just Snyder trying to stick it to the Eagles.

As for signing players, there's a limited number of NFL jobs and they pay well. You can get guys. You also don't need to tell the players what the long-term plan is. If they stumbled their way to 10-6, you adjust on the fly. Maybe you found some undervalued talent and can move the plan up a year.

And he might've saved our front office's incompetence from themselves.  I'm sure he can't be happy at the thought of 2 3/4 more years of bubble screens. 

Bravo, Zoony. This has become ****ing Groundhogs Day all over again.

The other thing I would add to the OP:

- Trade anyone, except TWilliams/Grant/Griffin/Roberts/Kerrigan/Breeland/Amerson/Way, for draft picks. Yes, Almo is on the trade list, too. Keep Redd/Thompson & find someone in next years draft. Or the year after. Almo is being wasted & will be due a big payday soon (earned by him). 

Archived