Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"We've been losing. What I want is for us to finish dead last."

zoony

You don't think Orakpo or Kerrigan would be worth picks? I was under the impression that pass rushers are at a premium in today's NFL. (Although the fact that they're both scheduled to be FA, next year, could certainly diminish their value. I could see a lot of teams saying "I'll wait, and see if the Skins manage to sign them, first.")

Neither one is someone I'd consider a "premium" pass rusher.  I'm just not sure what else 98 has to do to prove to everyone that he's average and 91 is inconsistent.

I'm sure you could get a 3rd or a 4th for each in the right situation.

Lmao this thread. This is why we can't have nice things. Because our fanbase is full of people who are ready to pack it in after 4 weeks. Disgraceful and just plain pathetic.

Really, it is the fans fault that this team loses year after year?

People that don't pick the players, don't call plays, and don't step on the field, and but it is their fault that this team loses year after years?

It is foolish from a front office perspective to not see where you are in terms of building a team, and I think that, not the fan base, is why we lose year after year.

And I've said here, I think we can 10-6 and make the playoffs, and I'm not at all surprised with that we are 1-3 and likely will be 1-5, but I don't think we're out of it in terms of making the playoffs.

Given some of the injuries that we've had (e.g. Hall), I'd now be surprised if we win 10 games, but can we win 9 or 8 games and maybe sneak in, yes.

Is this team in a position to compete for the championship?

No.

Do they appear to be on a trajectory to do so in the next few years?

No.

I think a front office that has now refused to recognize that over multiple different coaches and configurations has more to do with this team losing, then the fans that never step on the field or have any say in who picks the players do.

If I'm looking to make a list of who is to blame for the failure of this franchise over the last 20+ years, fans that have shelled out a lot of hard earned money to watch bad teams and regularly show up here and have created and participated in the best message board for any NFL team are way down the list.

They didn't fire Haslett at the time because they knew Jay Gruden was going to be the head coach and he had worked with him before. They likely knew Gruden wanted to keep him.

I think Gruden could be a great coach but if you showed him Hasletts career rankings as a DC and he still wanted to keep him then I'd have to keep looking because that is a sign of all kinds of irrational decisions.

I think he probably didn't know just how bad Haslett had been and didn't do his homework, also a sign of all kinds of ignorant and irrational decisions

You don't give a RB with a fumbling problem big money. 

Unless you're Vinny.

I disagree. That's a coaching problem, not an RB problem. Almo's arms were so sweated up on his last fumble a mosquito would have made him fumble.

Why doesn't someone...I don't know, maybe an RB coach...teach him a different way to carry the ball? Or has he refused to change? Tiki ****ing Barber was a horrible fumbling machine. Then it was fixed. Players deficiencies can be fixed.

The consistent problem has been the continual failure of Skins coaches to improve talent that is on this team from season-to-season. 

Edit: Ooops....realized I quoted a huge amount of pics. They've been deleted from my response.

I'm a bit worried about what the FO is going to do with all of the walk-year contracts this year.

TW:  Elite LT, you generally don't let those walk

BO: walk

RK:  hopefully re-sign

AM: Yes he has a fumbling problem, but is also Top 5 in the last few years

And BTW, I am posting buzzed, so there is a fair chance that these guys aren't really up for contract :)

Put me in the category of wanting to see this team develop its talent. I don't agree with benching RG3 for the year for the same reason that zoony mentioned for playing the young guys at the other positions - I want to see what we have in him and make sure he's the QB to lead this team in the future. That may be problematic with his injury history and our offensive line though.

As far as the other young players, we kinda saw what can happen when we play some before they're ready with Rambo, then with Breeland. I want these guys to get the job because they're ready to take over and the coaches have confidence in them, not because they're the youngest - and thus need time. There's a question of whether we should be playing Compton or Moses at RT anyway because they're both young but Compton has had more time in the league. I don't want to lose the morale (and competitive environment) of the rest of the team into thinking that players get playing time just because they're younger.

What I hope for is that Gruden isn't as loyal to his vets as Gibbs and Shanny. There's a balance between coaching for your job (which generally involves playing vets) and being willing to develop talent. Hopefully Gruden is willing to develop talent.

I've said it in other threads, but I don't really care about the record this year. I think its too early to care about the draft. But we started a roster with 53 men plus a 10 man practice squad. Right now a few of those guys are on IR, and a few more will be by the end of the year. By the end of the year, we're likely to see 70-ish players play for our team.

I want to be building this team in Gruden's image, and IMO that starts with Gruden getting an honest evaluation of which of Shanny's guys he wants to keep. We've already seen the departure of guys like R. Jackson and B. Jenkins. Hopefully as the year develops, we'll see him establish a presence on the OL and and tell Haslett about the importance of bump and run coverage.

I don't get the fascination with a GM with a "scouting" background. I like Bruce Allen. I look at the last 3 years as my sample, and our biggest acquisitions have been Garcon, Jackson and Hatcher. All of them are reasonable contracts, nowhere near the level of idiotness of some of our previous contracts. Garcon was a gamble, but nothing like the B. Lloyd / ARE gambles. Maybe its Snyder wising up on how to handle free agency, but I think of it as having a competent GM in place. Ozzie Newsome doesn't have a background in scouting and he's probably the best GM in the league. Belichick doesn't either and he's doing very well in NE. There are a number of others as well. I don't think we should discount Allen just because he wasn't a scout. He helped take Oakland (OAKLAND!!!!) to a Super Bowl by taming Al Davis.

Rak is a HUGE disappointment !!! had such high hopes when we got him.Kerrigan is an overachiever hard worker but will never be a Game in game out QB terror......Sucks!!! But the truth hurts sometimes : (

How is Orakpo a huge disappointment? Because he played one bad game with a cast on? He is coming off a ten sack pro bowl year for Christ sake. And Kerrigan will never be a QB terror? Dude is leading the NFL in sacks. Redskins fans are so damn quick to turn on their own players its unbelievable.

How is Orakpo a huge disappointment? Because he played one bad game with a cast on? He is coming off a ten sack pro bowl year for Christ sake. And Kerrigan will never be a QB terror? Dude is leading the NFL in sacks. Redskins fans are so damn quick to turn on their own players its unbelievable.

funny, i said the same exact thing and somebody responded to me, saying "4 years is too quick...?". i definitely agree with you man.

Really, it is the fans fault that this team loses year after year?

People that don't pick the players, don't call plays, and don't step on the field, and but it is their fault that this team loses year after years?

It is foolish from a front office perspective to not see where you are in terms of building a team, and I think that, not the fan base, is why we lose year after year.

And I've said here, I think we can 10-6 and make the playoffs, and I'm not at all surprised with that we are 1-3 and likely will be 1-5, but I don't think we're out of it in terms of making the playoffs.

Given some of the injuries that we've had (e.g. Hall), I'd now be surprised if we win 10 games, but can we win 9 or 8 games and maybe sneak in, yes.

Is this team in a position to compete for the championship?

No.

Do they appear to be on a trajectory to do so in the next few years?

No.

I think a front office that has now refused to recognize that over multiple different coaches and configurations has more to do with this team losing, then the fans that never step on the field or have any say in who picks the players do.

If I'm looking to make a list of who is to blame for the failure of this franchise over the last 20+ years, fans that have shelled out a lot of hard earned money to watch bad teams and regularly show up here and have created and participated in the best message board for any NFL team are way down the list.

Did I ever say it's the fans fault that the Redskins have sucked for 20 years? Of course I didnt, that's ridiculous. What I said was redskins fans deserve it. I've never seen any group of fans turn on their own players so incredibly fast. Rg3 was the greatest qb ever, now he's a scrub that will never amount to anything. Kirk Cousins was the new franchise qb, now he's a mediocre Rex gross man wannabe. Ryan Kerrigan is a "hard worker that will never be elite" and some are even saying we shouldn't resign him. Orakpo is orakpo, and probably the only dude on this list that fans have consistently hated, despite the enormous amount of evidence supporting the "worth a big contract camp". Oh, and the dudes saying 1. We should trade Morris or 2. He isn't worth a 2nd rounder. Speechless.

As a member experiencing his first go at ES in season stadium threads, I'm quickly discovering the amount of quality Redskins talk is almost 0, as fans are too busy either basking in a win or despairing in defeat to look past anything past but the current week.

funny, i said the same exact thing and somebody responded to me, saying "4 years is too quick...?". i definitely agree with you man.

Dude has 40 sacks in the equivalent of 4 seasons here. That's a ten sack average. Yet somehow, Trent Murphy, the dude with THREE pressures in 70 snaps will be able to match his production as a pass rusher AND dominate the run game. Maybe this is why some Redskins fans are constantly disappointed..

Dude has 40 sacks in the equivalent of 4 seasons here. That's a ten sack average. Yet somehow, Trent Murphy, the dude with THREE pressures in 70 snaps will be able to match his production as a pass rusher AND dominate the run game. Maybe this is why some Redskins fans are constantly disappointed..

Why is Trent Murphy on this team?  Rob Jackson was better, fairly cheap, and we had much bigger needs along the offensive line.   

Did I ever say it's the fans fault that the Redskins have sucked for 20 years? Of course I didnt, that's ridiculous. What I said was redskins fans deserve it. I've never seen any group of fans turn on their own players so incredibly fast. Rg3 was the greatest qb ever, now he's a scrub that will never amount to anything. Kirk Cousins was the new franchise qb, now he's a mediocre Rex gross man wannabe. Ryan Kerrigan is a "hard worker that will never be elite" and some are even saying we shouldn't resign him. Orakpo is orakpo, and probably the only dude on this list that fans have consistently hated, despite the enormous amount of evidence supporting the "worth a big contract camp". Oh, and the dudes saying 1. We should trade Morris or 2. He isn't worth a 2nd rounder. Speechless.

As a member experiencing his first go at ES in season stadium threads, I'm quickly discovering the amount of quality Redskins talk is almost 0, as fans are too busy either basking in a win or despairing in defeat to look past anything past but the current week.

wait...didnt you JUST ask in your other post "how is orakpo a disappointment"? and now you just said "maybe this i why some redskins fans are constantly disappointed". which one is it? are you wondering how people think he is a disappointment, or are you saying that you know why people think he is?

Why is Trent Murphy on this team? Rob Jackson was better, fairly cheap, and we had much bigger needs along the offensive line.

Because he has the potential to be a Jared Allen type player, but he needs more seasoning. Rob Jackson was just as bad a pass rusher. Dude made a big play every like 4 games and people thought he was great. I mean, as much as people **** about the oline, everyone outside of Polumbus has been ok-good, and there weren't any plug and play tackles in the 2nd round.

wait...didnt you JUST ask in your other post "how is orakpo a disappointment"? and now you just said "maybe this i why some redskins fans are constantly disappointed". which one is it? are you wondering how people think he is a disappointment, or are you saying that you know why people think he is?

I meant that fans expecting a dude who has shown nothing to step in for a pro bowl player are setting themselves up to be disappointed.

Because he has the potential to be a Jared Allen type player, but he needs more seasoning. Rob Jackson was just as bad a pass rusher. Dude made a big play every like 4 games and people thought he was great. I mean, as much as people **** about the oline, everyone outside of Polumbus has been ok-good, and there weren't any plug and play tackles in the 2nd round.

I meant that fans expecting a dude who has shown nothing to step in for a pro bowl player are setting themselves up to be disappointed.

ah. sorry about that. yes, definitely agreed on that point.

Been there, done that.

Comparing Baccari Rambo to our top three picks inside the top 80 of the draft this year doesn't work for me. Especially when we have Breeland and Grant seeing time already.

Pay attention cause Paul has it figured out. :) Murphy, at the time, was picked as Kerrigan insurance as they were still looking to re sign Rak, which would let Kerrigan walk in FA & have Murphy takeover his spot.

My God, fire the entire FO today if this is the case. Kerrigan is about as perfect a player you could want on your team. The guy is clearly an elite professional who backs it up with proven production. And he shows up every play, never mind every week.

Did I ever say it's the fans fault that the Redskins have sucked for 20 years? Of course I didnt, that's ridiculous. What I said was redskins fans deserve it.

You said we were WHY we were bad. That translates it into it is our fault.

"This is why we can't have nice things."

The why (reason) behind us not having nice things is because the fan(atic)s that support the team behave fanatical or because our FO doesn't know how to go about building a team?

I know which one I'm voting for.

I've never seen any group of fans turn on their own players so incredibly fast. Rg3 was the greatest qb ever, now he's a scrub that will never amount to anything. Kirk Cousins was the new franchise qb, now he's a mediocre Rex gross man wannabe. Ryan Kerrigan is a "hard worker that will never be elite" and some are even saying we shouldn't resign him. Orakpo is orakpo, and probably the only dude on this list that fans have consistently hated, despite the enormous amount of evidence supporting the "worth a big contract camp". Oh, and the dudes saying 1. We should trade Morris or 2. He isn't worth a 2nd rounder. Speechless.

Fanatics are fanatical. It is the nature of the beast. If you want to raise the quality of the conversation of this board that would be great.

I'd suggest you start by not writing posts blaming the fans for the last 20+ years of bad season.

Try writing some posts/threads that actually raise the conversation.

As a REDSKINS fan womb-to-the-tomb, I'm so ambivalent and "meh" about this team anymore that the name-change BS doesn't even rile me up anymore nor do the constant losses. This team has a loser's culture/aura about it and the common denominator is and will always be Dan Snyder.  We are worse than Dallas where 8-8 is the norm.  It's geting to the point when I tell people I'm a Redskins fan, they almost feel the need to apologize for me. There are very few teams in professional sports, across the four major leagues, that are as pathetic as this one since 92.  And before anyone jumps on my "fandom", you're talking to someone who arranged his mid-tour from Afghanistan to see Darrell/Art get inducted into the HOF and currently have a Redskin flag up in my deployed barracks room.  Yes, I'm an idiot.  

....but hey, at least we have 3 dusty superbowl trophies to parade in front of Eagles fans and have that Forbes "team value" angle and "season ticket" sell-out streak scam still going.

Team sucks, FEDEX field MAJORLY sucks, being a fan of this team sucks....but since I'm married to them for life, I'll be up at 0300 next Tuesday morning to watch them get smashed against the Seahawks.

Hail......

Wish we would have tanked the season 2 years ago like the Colts did, no king's ransom to the Rams and I bet we would have drafted the offensive line to protect Robert.

Instead we tanked it last year for the Rams to get our #2 overall.

Yeah, how many of those anti suck for luck fans are happy now that Grossman got extra 2-3 meaningless wins in 2011?

Wish we would have tanked the season 2 years ago like the Colts did, no king's ransom to the Rams and I bet we would have drafted the offensive line to protect Robert.

I'm not sure the Skins make that trade if they knew BEFORE the draft they would have $36m in salary cap stolen from them. 

My God, fire the entire FO today if this is the case. Kerrigan is about as perfect a player you could want on your team. The guy is clearly an elite professional who backs it up with proven production. And he shows up every play, never mind every week.

Totally agree with you. I'm a fan of Rak and have been from the start but I would have done the exact opposite in this case. Re-signing Kerrigan would be the priority and letting Rak go would have been my decision - which I believe is a very easy one to make.

That is concerning...

Archived