Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GHH's Observations: The Good, The Bad and The 'Jeepers Creepers! Where did THAT come from ?!' W2: Hanging of Henne.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

More good:

1) Regardless of what Philly does tomorrow night we will be playing for 1st place in the division in Week 3. That's a positive. 

2) The Giants are 0-2 and lost to a Carson Palmerless Cardinals team today. Excellent. 

3) Our defense is getting better next week with Merriweather returning. 

4) Through two weeks our defense is ranked #1 in the NFL in yards per game and is top 5 in both run defense and pass defense. 

5) We are #3 in the NFL in rushing offense. Morris is #3 in the league in rushing yards. He could drop a bit depending on tonight's game and tomorrow's but he will be no worse than #5 in the league at the end of week 2. 

6) Ryan Kerrigan leads the league in sacks after today's performance. The Redskins lead the league in sacks, despite the NFL ****s stealing our lone sack from Hatcher last week. 

7) Niles Paul is 7th in the league in receiving yards. Just saying...

Good: Cousins. I had the perfect view today (end zone, front row upper deck). He made one mistake, which was taking a sack that knocked us out of FG range. He also under-threw the ball to DJ when he got hurt. Otherwise, it was out on time and he found the open man. 

Bad: Injuries, and our new #3 safety.

Ugly: Me, after sitting in the sun for 3 hours w/o suntan lotion.

Everyone else hit about the same Good, bad & ugly I had in mind. I want to add one thing to the Ugly column and thats the refs not overturning DJax's catch with clear evidence that it was a catch. Refs dont even know the rules for a catch within the normal field of play.

i'm sorry.. why does there have to be a thread dedicated to your analysis?  3rd week in a row including last preseason game....   ffs....  you paid for the servers or something?   not trying to be mean and i like what you have to say [sometimes] but seriously?  just wondering.....

I'm with ya. Anything you can do to shut GHH up. The guy adds nothing, is full of himself and.....

Wait. He's gonna read that I wrote this?

lzohcvw.gif

As I stated in another thread, I was absolutely amazed at the depth we showed yesterday as well.  Baker played beautifully in place of Cofield; Robinson came in and had an INT in place of Rambo (?) I assume; Kearse came in and had a sack; Grant and Niles had a good outing (hell, Niles would have had over 100 yards and 2 TDs had he held on to that wide open pass); and KC played exceptional in place of Griffin.  When was the last time we had that many back ups come in and execute like that?  Just a complete ass kicking by the entire team. 

Great write, GHH.

Pretty much can echo what most here have said.

Though for the most part the OL played much better than a week ago, but can't get too excited due to 1) nobody is going to confuse the Jag's D with the Texans and 2) I saw both Chester and Polumbus on multiple plays getting blown back like they had gotten hit by a truck (and I doubt they even had the thought to get the license plates :P). I wonder how much longer before we start to see Long, LeRibeus, Moses, or Compton in the coming weeks.

I genuinely feel bad for RG3 as this makes 2 major injuries in the past 3 seasons (and technically speaking, I don't really think he was healthy much last season either). 3 major injuries if you go back to his college days. That's got to be tough, love him or hate him. Lady luck has definitely not been kind to him, to say the least. The haters reveling in his misery is ridiculous and unwarranted when it comes to injuries. Here's to hoping for a speedy recovery.

The bad is the zebras going flag happy. I damn well hope the NFL has workman's comp for these guys, cause at the rate they're going they are going to have some shoulder injuries in the near future. :ph34r:

Overall, great TEAM game today. It was refreshing to see all phases of the team playing solid football. Nice to see for a change.

I'm going to enjoy this win, but I want to see if they can replicate this in Philthy. That'll be the test to see if we're making true strides. ;)

One last thing: if I'm Rambo, I might want to refresh my resume. Good chance he could be released soon.

absolutely.. if one member can get their own analysis thread then why not make umpteen hundred threads, right?!   then we can have a pole for whose is best....  might make it interesting....   /sarcasm... with that said, i just don't get it.... can't we all just say what we think about the last game in a single thread?

This thread has been a weekly thing for ages - it's kind of a tradition by now. If you don't like it just ignore it.

On the game ....10 sacks! Let's not let that get lost in the whole RGIII/Cousins stuff. Ryan Kerrigan 4 sacks - just excellent. Apart from two big pass plays we shut down their entire offense. Now there are going to be rougher tests ahead for this defense, starting next week, but we have seen two very strong defensive efforts so far.

On offense Ryan Grant! Looked like a 5 year vet, great routes and fly paper for hands. Roberts and Paul also had really strong games. Not many teams could lose their starting QB, no.1 receiver and have their starting TE out and put up 40 points. The Jags defense deserves an assist though - they were flat bad.

Great win - but at a cost...

Great win - but at a cost...

I honestly don't think a lot of people appreciate the major difference between Kirk and Robert and just what 10 brings to the table.

The real tragic thing for him yesterday aside from the devastating freak injury was the fact he was finally having the game he needed for his confidence. Read option back, taking off with his legs and a picture perfect deep ball. Not to mention the great throw he made to extend the drive in getting injured. Heck knows how much more damage we'd of done with that dual threat all game ala 2012's run in.

I pray I'm wrong but I have never felt easy at the prospect of Cousins over a sustained period. Coming in relieving Robert is one thing. Having the pressure of QB1 over the rest of the season is a whole other. And behind this line as static as he is I really fear for him.

At least we'll get to find out for certain finally just what we do have in Captain Kirk.

Hail.

I honestly don't think a lot of people appreciate the major difference between Kirk and Robert and just what 10 brings to the table.

The real tragic thing for him yesterday aside from the devastating freak injury was the fact he was finally having the game he needed for his confidence. Read option back, taking off with his legs and a picture perfect deep ball. Not to mention the great throw he made to extend the drive in getting injured. Heck knows how much more damage we'd of done with that dual threat all game ala 2012's run in.

I pray I'm wrong but I have never felt easy at the prospect of Cousins over a sustained period. Coming in relieving Robert is one thing. Having the pressure of QB1 over the rest of the season is a whole other. And behind this line as static as he is I really fear for him.

At least we'll get to find out for certain finally just what we do have in Captain Kirk.

Hail.

Is there a real difference between RG3 and KC running the offense at this very moment? I don't think so. Sure I can see the "potential" argument, but for this season, I see no difference outside of the mobility

This was an 'oh no' beginning, a 'lets see' middle, and a 'HOLY ****'  finale.

This was probably the best overall performance across the board that I can remember in a very long time.  Usually there's one or more aspects of the game where we say 'man I wish they'd get their act together', but not yesterday. That was an absolute domination by the definition.

When an offense gives the defense a chance to catch their breath, and vice versa,  good things can happen. It appeared to be a contest between offense and defense of which side could be more of a newsmaker, and frankly it was a tie, even though i've been very critical of Haslett's defenses, I might have to lean on the defense's side just a wee bit.

DAMN that was impressive, even if it was against the Jags, but the same Jags who gave the Eagles fits for a half, but moreso the Redskins did something we've been crying for, for a long time; beat the snot out of a team that we should beat the snot out of. And did they.

Nice analysis, GHH.

Only thing I'd add to the bad is that we gave away a lot of turnover opportunities.  I'd like the defense to hang onto a few more of those easy should-have-been interceptions.  Would have made it into even more of a party.

Otherwise, the good was the offense, defense, and special teams.  Tress led the Way on kickoffs. Pressure was nonstop.  One obvious hiccup in the second td bomb in two weeks.  Offensively, we ran well and passed well. 

Interestingly, I'd argue that on O we performed very similarly to the first week except we didn't have the turnovers.  Having said that... WE FIXED OUR MISTAKES!  How often over the last few years would you have a problem and it would wind up haunting us the ENTIRE year.  Hope that we continue and that the focus remains tight.

I was at the game and stayed 'til the final whistle.  I started complaining noticing the evacuation myself.  I don't get it.  Celebrate the win, have a good time.  Is the lure of escaping the parking lot that big a deal?  We haven't enjoyed enough dominating wins in recent years.  More, most people are paying hundreds of dollars to be there each game.  Don't you want your money's worth?  Crazy and a little sad.  I will say the crowd sounded loud.  I know at least Techboy and I did our share.

Finally, as to threads, as someone who doesn't enjoy mega threads... I like more threads as long as their tight, have a specific focus, and cover a unique angle.  Otherwise, ideas get lost.

Even in this one, I've seen someone ask two or three times about the reviewed catch/incompletion and no one has ever answered.  I think it's because specifics get lost in broad threads.  I didn't hear what the Refs said (muffled sound system) but it seems a bad interpretation of the rule.  Clear catch.  Made it to the ground with the ball. Rolled over and then had the ball knocked away when on the ground.  Seemed he completed the motion of the catch.  I guess the refs interpretation was that if you hit the ground you have to have the ball until the play is completely over.  I disagree with the ruling, but I'm guessing that's what they were thinking.  TV viewers may have gotten a better explanation.

Even in this one, I've seen someone ask two or three times about the reviewed catch/incompletion and no one has ever answered.  I think it's because specifics get lost in broad threads.  I didn't hear what the Refs said (muffled sound system) but it seems a bad interpretation of the rule.  Clear catch.  Made it to the ground with the ball. Rolled over and then had the ball knocked away when on the ground.  Seemed he completed the motion of the catch.  I guess the refs interpretation was that if you hit the ground you have to have the ball until the play is completely over.  I disagree with the ruling, but I'm guessing that's what they were thinking.  TV viewers may have gotten a better explanation.

I don't remember what the ref said himself, but former ref Mike Carrey on CBS said it was the wrong call.

Finally, as to threads, as someone who doesn't enjoy mega threads... I like more threads as long as their tight, have a specific focus, and cover a unique angle. Otherwise, ideas get lost.

Even in this one, I've seen someone ask two or three times about the reviewed catch/incompletion and no one has ever answered. I think it's because specifics get lost in broad threads. I didn't hear what the Refs said (muffled sound system) but it seems a bad interpretation of the rule. Clear catch. Made it to the ground with the ball. Rolled over and then had the ball knocked away when on the ground. Seemed he completed the motion of the catch. I guess the refs interpretation was that if you hit the ground you have to have the ball until the play is completely over. I disagree with the ruling, but I'm guessing that's what they were thinking. TV viewers may have gotten a better explanation.

I thought I'd addressed that in the OP but it may of been the other VERY dubious call on Paul I referenced that had him down by contact at the 1 the end of the first when it should of been a TD.

The Jackson one was ruled incomplete. The fact that his knee was clearly down when he had full control of the ball was unbelievably missed after review on our challenge.

Begs the question just what is the point of technology if the officials can't even use it properly? It was clear as day DeSean's knee was down with the ball in his hands before the roll and it coming out.

Two piss poor decisions for the second straight week. I'd seriously question the Davis unnecessary roughness penalty on the punt too. The dude never signalled for a fair catch and Davis hit him as he caught the ball. If you don't signal, you run the risk of getting hit. And it was a clean hit.

Hail.

Archived