Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GHH's Observations: The Good, The Bad and The 'Jeepers Creepers! Where did THAT come from ?!' W2: Hanging of Henne.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

I don't think Philly is as good as everyone makes them out to be. Shady McCoy is their only real weapon, and if you pressure Foles he will make mistakes. Their offensive line is bad too, as they are missing Mathis (the best guard in the NFL) Lane Johnson and the backup RT. Kerrigan and Hatcher should have field days.

I think they have the best offense in the NFC east.

I'd add Baker to the good he and Hatcher stopped the run and got pressure all day. The whole front was good. The only bad to me was injuries, Rambo, and dumb penalties(specifically the Trent one was dumb costed 4 points). We got lucky on the Jags first drive when their receiver dropped that would be TD, but as you mentioned they got lucky on that RG3 pass being called incomplete. Overall was a fun game.

I don't think Philly is as good as everyone makes them out to be. Shady McCoy is their only real weapon, and if you pressure Foles he will make mistakes. Their offensive line is bad too, as they are missing Mathis (the best guard in the NFL) Lane Johnson and the backup RT. Kerrigan and Hatcher should have field days.

Overlook Sproles in that O at your peril.

Hail.

Well, as long as the topics are specific then I don't see any harm.

Ideally, right now there should be...

A thread for RG3s injury

A thread for Kirk Cousin's play

A general injury thread that May or may not include RG3 discussion

A thread for the defense's play

A thread to discuss the long term impact of Cousins/RG3

A thread for general game discussion

A few other ancillary threads that will get closed

Have to keep discussion on topic and in their separate threads.

how about just one topic on post game analysis we all comment in?  ONE!  but feel free to create those...   :blink:

I'd add Baker to the good he and Hatcher stopped the run and got pressure all day. The whole front was good.....

He's a true nose isn't he?

I've been arguing all the time Cofields been here that he'd be far more effective at end with a bigger guy as a more traditional NT.

Baker is fast developing into that guy.

Hail.

absolutely.. if one member can get their own analysis thread then why not make umpteen hundred threads, right?!   then we can have a pole for whose is best....  might make it interesting....   /sarcasm... with that said, i just don't get it.... can't we all just say what we think about the last game in a single thread?

because some are better at it than others?

relax, and enjoy the win :)

i would love this.

i said this last year, as they beat nobody who actually went to the playoffs (and lost vs some not so great teams).

we'll see how they do vs indy tomorrow. 

I think we should talk about the contents of the thread/OP instead of just talking about whether or not the thread should exist. GHH stepped up to the plate and created a worthwhile thread...the fact that others "could" have done the same means little. Add in your thoughts, comment on his, etc, etc. yadda yadda...Keep the thread on track because it should be a good one.

Maybe. But I'd like to see them perform if The skins can dial up the pressure like they did today.

Their OL isn't great with injuries and suspensions.

Also they're going to be coming off if a short week and what should be a tough game against Indy.

I'm liking the defense after two games but I think nobody with argue with the fact that neither Houston nor Jacksonville have very talented offenses. I'm cautiously optimistic about our chances against Philly.

I think we should talk about the contents of the thread/OP instead of just talking about whether or not the thread should exist. GHH stepped up to the plate and created a worthwhile thread...the fact that others "could" have done the same means little. Add in your thoughts, comment on his, etc, etc. yadda yadda...Keep the thread on track because it should be a good one.

Cali, you're right, as always... and i'm sorry.. well not really but you know what?  I really think a Cali thread with a really long name would be much better than this one...../major sarcasm and no offense to GHH...   if this become the defacto post-game analysis thread then i'm all over it.....  i have a burger and a beer that says it won't be the only thread though.... lol

I'm liking the defense after two games but I think nobody with argue with the fact that neither Houston nor Jacksonville have very talented offenses. I'm cautiously optimistic about our chances against Philly.

It's not that the Skins should be expected to shut down the Eagles the way they did the Jaguars...it's that the defense appears capable of slowing down the better offenses to give the Redskins a realistic chance to win. Besides, really good defenses absolutely dominate offenses like the Jags. Mediocre defenses make offenses like the Jags look better than they are. We've seen a lot of the latter over the years. It was nice to see the former for a change.

Agreed. But the one thing that we've seen consistently is that what causes the eagles offense to shut down is immediate pressure. If you can get pressure on Foles quickly, he's prone to mistakes.

The Jags, who we just roasted, forced the Eagles into some turnovers and shut them out for a half.

They're dangerous, but I think they can be contained with the right scheme. But you've gotta go bully them. You can't sit back. You gotta go punk them. Here's hoping Haz can come out and bring the funk and the noise next week.

I'd add that another "good" is that we get Merriweather back at SS next week.  A few more "good"s that have been overlooked because if they're good, you don't notice them are:

The OL - for the most part they were pretty fantastic today.  Their run blocking was actually better last week, but it was fine today, and their pass blocking was great with Cousins getting rid of the ball fast.  Very good game by them today, with the exception of a couple plays.

Ryan Clark - this guy hasn't lost anything, the Steelers looked like they were missing him in coverage these last couple weeks, thank goodness for us.  He's improved our secondary and it shows.

I agree with you about Amerson.  I've been saying since preseason that this guy looks dominant.  He's been unbelievable and he's only 2 games into his 2nd season.  He hasn't been noticed, except by offensive coordinators who are going to be playing the Skins.

Kai Forbath - I don't know if the kickoffs have changed much, I honestly haven't been paying much attention to them, but he's been consistent in his FG attempts (and he didn't get an EP blocked today).  So, he had a good game.  I didn't even flinch when we were trying FGs today.  It's been a long time since that's happened, though it could have been because we were already killing the Jags.

Bad = nickname "the jags" = Just A Guys.  They are certainly living up to that name.   :D

He's a true nose isn't he?

I've been arguing all the time Cofields been here that he'd be far more effective at end with a bigger guy as a more traditional NT.

Baker is fast developing into that guy.

Hail.

Completely agree.  I was actually looking forward to what the defense looked like with a traditional NT in place of Cofield.  I would love to see what the front 7 looks like with Cofield at DE and Baker at NT (though I can't imagine anything better than today).

Here's to 10 more sacks next week. lol  :cheers:

Kai Forbath - I don't know if the kickoffs have changed much, I honestly haven't been paying much attention to them, but he's been consistent in his FG attempts (and he didn't get an EP blocked today). So, he had a good game. I didn't even flinch when we were trying FGs today. It's been a long time since that's happened, though it could have been because we were already killing the Jags.

). .

Tress Way was handling kickoff duties today. Guessing because of Kai's groin but I liked it. Hope they stick with it.

*Baltimore pre-season, but who's counting.

Why not?

I don't mean that in an egotistical arrogant way (the thread title just is what it originally was and means little of anything personally), just asking. *Shrugs.

These started as a frustrating answer to the Shanahan B/S last year to dissect the major problems some of us where seeing and developed into real good post game discussion threads with some great debate and analysis.

Seemed natural to continue them this year.

Hail.

I enjoy them even though I dont always agree with it all. Kind of look forward to it, its a great conversation starter every week. Keep it up.

Very thorough and accurate write up for the OP. I appreciate the shout out to Orakpo. I've definitely been on his defending side - was disappointed he didn't add another sack or two today but he was a force out there for sure. I think he started the sack party and had a huge hit on a RB in the backfield to start another successful series for the defense early in the game. Then shortly after he blew up two defenders and set the edge and forced Gerhart back inside for a short gain. I thought Orakpo really set the tempo early for the defense then everyone else got going and it's like he almost couldn't get there soon enough before others did but as you mentioned, he was right there on almost every play. Man was it great to see one guy getting a sack while about 2-3 other guys were right there too. 

I don't think the penalties can be understated at all. That pissed me off more than anything today. Block in the back one after another is just pathetic. Most of them were on blocks that weren't even necessary for the play anyway. The biggest thing to me is that we seem to have at least one unsportsmanlike conduct per game and it usually tends to come from either Trent Williams or DHall. These guys are team captains. Part of that is that they are outspoken verbal leaders. But they have GOT to keep their heads cool and understand even if they are getting messed with they are hurting the team with a 15 yard penalty. When Williams had his near the goal line we were about to punch it in - at the time it was only 21-7 and while we were dominating this is the kind of game (at that point) the skins usually find a way to at least let the other team back in it. We had to kick a field goal and I was so pissed. You just can't have that. 

I defended Rambo last week. Haslett is right in that you can't let one play be the judge of a game for a guy. But two weeks in a wrong he just took ridiculously bad angles that cost the team a long TD. Today's was especially egregious. He's a much better all-around player this year but we simply cannot afford to keep him out there because he does this time after time. I'm glad we are getting Merriweather back (even though he's probably my least favorite Redskin) and that if anything happens with him Ihenacho should be the primary backup from now on. Or Robinson - he played well today. 

It's not that the Skins should be expected to shut down the Eagles the way they did the Jaguars...it's that the defense appears capable of slowing down the better offenses to give the Redskins a realistic chance to win. Besides, really good defenses absolutely dominate offenses like the Jags. Mediocre defenses make offenses like the Jags look better than they are. We've seen a lot of the latter over the years. It was nice to see the former for a change.

Last week even tho you all gave some kudos to the Texans D you all also pointed out it was also because of our crap right side. Well lets give kudos to our D this week but lets not forget, the Jags were playing with most rookies on they're front line. 

The crowd. There looked a LOT of empty seats/ no-shows particularly in the upper section, which was bad enough. But all the empty red seats as the 4th rolled was real disappointing. Best overall performance in a LONG time and y'all can't stay behind to give the players the ovation they so richly deserved? Disappointing guys.

10665067_10152660694130428_5383125553769

GHH, many people from the upper deck were upgraded into club level today.  That is why it looked so empty and club level looked so full.  I was upgraded as many people who normally sit next to me were as well.

Yeah, Just654 filled us in on that earlier man. (He beat you home ha ha.).

Great move from the organisation to give back.

Hail.

Archived