Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Super Bowl XLIX Thread ; * Patriots Are 4x SB Champions*

Mr. Sinister

My running back has over 100 yards, and just ran for 4 yards on 1st and goal to get it to the one yard line... OH I KNOW! I will shotgun pass it on the next play! This logic is just stupid and dumb as hell. Lynch and that offensive line could not get a yard on the next play to win a Super Bowl? Are you ****ing kidding me? I don't care what stats you bring up from the regular season. Their was no need to pass after such a good first down run was made. Complete and utter full retard moment. 

Early season Super Bowl odds: 

SEAHAWKS: 6/1
PATRIOTS: 7/1
PACKERS: 8/1
BRONCOS: 12/1
COLTS: 12/1
COWBOYS: 18/1
EAGLES: 25/1

SAINTS: 30/1
49ERS: 30/1
STEELERS: 30/1
LIONS: 30/1
RAVENS: 30/1
BENGALS: 35/1
RAMS: 40/1
CHIEFS: 40/1
CARDINALS: 40/1
CHARGERS: 40/1
GIANTS: 40/1
PANTHERS: 45/1
DOLPHINS: 45/1
FALCONS: 50/1
TEXANS: 50/1
BEARS: 60/1
VIKINGS: 60/1
BILLS: 70/1
BROWNS: 70/1
JETS: 125/1
REDSKINS: 140/1
BUCS: 200/1
TITANS: 300/1
JAGS: 300/1
RAIDERS: 300/1

Dunno if this got posted yet, but very good article on THAT play.

I still think passing it was wrong, but I can see why they did it. Patriots just saw it coming - https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/02/02/analysis-notebook-super-bowl-xlix-that-play/ 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/02/02/analysis-notebook-super-bowl-xlix-that-play/

I still think passing it was wrong, but I can see why they did it. Patriots just saw it coming - https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/02/02/analysis-notebook-super-bowl-xlix-that-play/ 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/02/02/analysis-notebook-super-bowl-xlix-that-play/

The play call wasn't terrible IMO. It was just one hell of a play by the corner. 9 out of 10 times, that pass is either caught, or knocked out. Props to the kid for making a play.

I was hearing on ESPN all day, how "They threw it to Ricardo Lockette, not a Dez Bryant/Megatron". I think both teams showed you don't need elite receivers to win the game.

Still though, if that pass is knocked down, they have two plays to score and likely win the game.

My word that site cracks me up sometimes.

Despite three wide receivers in the formation the Patriots have eight guys on the line of scrimmage

Yeah, you want to know why there were "8 guys on the line of scrimmage"? It's because THE BALL WAS ON THE ONE YARD LINE! It's not because they were "selling out to stop the run" it's because standing three yards off the line would mean they couldn't stop a scoring play. One of the "8 guys" was a CB in man coverage on a WR. 

Right, one thing to consider: the only way the Seahawks guarantee themselves 4 downs there is to pass on 1 of them. With only 1 timeout remaining, they had to throw a pass or they would have run out of time.

I can understand throwing it there. You assume an incomplete pass is pretty likely, but you don't really consider an INT on a slant like that (maybe the pass could have been lower, etc. - but I'm only talking about the play call). So, I can see how the thought-process might have been (assuming none of these result in a touchdown, of course): throw a pass on 2nd down (clock stops), run the ball on 3rd down (clock stops with final timeout), run the ball on 4th down (game ends on touchdown or turnover on downs). 

How about, since Wilson had been tearing the Patriots up, having Wilson do a fake handoff to Lynch and running a bootleg to the weak side? If there's someone spying him, just throw it out of bounds or run out? That means on 3rd down you still have a timeout and the clock is stopped with at least 30 seconds. The entire playbook is now open.

I think in retrospect, the specific passing play called is worse then calling a pass play. Throwing into the middle of the field like that, in traffic would have been risky no matter what.  Let's say the collision results in a tipped ball, there 3 other Patriots around to grab the INT.

If you want to call a pass play, they should have done a read option, play action, or bootleg, which would have given Wilson time to survey the field and throw the ball out of the back of the endzone with plenty of time still left to run it on 3rd down.

How about, since Wilson had been tearing the Patriots up, having Wilson do a fake handoff to Lynch and running a bootleg to the weak side? If there's someone spying him, just throw it out of bounds or run out? That means on 3rd down you still have a timeout and the clock is stopped with at least 30 seconds. The entire playbook is now open.

Yeah, a bootleg would have probably been a better call there and certainly much safer. But hindsight is 20/20 (or 50/50 according to a past Redskin coach)...more often than not the very play that was called would have resulted in a relatively uncontested TD pass.

The call was terrible but they didn't give the game away and that's an important distinction because people are making it out to be something it wasn't. Thy didn't fumble a snap or tip a ball in the air right to the pats. The only reason that play wasn't a game winning touchdown and we aren't talking about Wilson being on an incredible pace for a young QB is because the pats DBs read it and ripped a Super Bowl out of the Seahawks grasp.

The bad play call shouldn't over shadow the amazing play on the field by the Patriots defense. Incredible play to basically end the game.

The play call wasn't terrible IMO. It was just one hell of a play by the corner. 9 out of 10 times, that pass is either caught, or knocked out. Props to the kid for making a play.

I was hearing on ESPN all day, how "They threw it to Ricardo Lockette, not a Dez Bryant/Megatron". I think both teams showed you don't need elite receivers to win the game.

Still though, if that pass is knocked down, they have two plays to score and likely win the game.

Yes, it was an awful call.  If  you want to call a pass in that situation, either call a fade (Wilson throws high balls) where it is either caught or out of bounds OR call a roll-out where Wilson can pass/throw.  Too many things can happen on that type of slant.  Ball tipped is likely, and most of players there are defense.  Not a high percentage throw.

The call was terrible but they didn't give the game away and that's an important distinction because people are making it out to be something it wasn't. Thy didn't fumble a snap or tip a ball in the air right to the pats. The only reason that play wasn't a game winning touchdown and we aren't talking about Wilson being on an incredible pace for a young QB is because the pats DBs read it and ripped a Super Bowl out of the Seahawks grasp.

The bad play call shouldn't over shadow the amazing play on the field by the Patriots defense. Incredible play to basically end the game.

I really believe it came down to Carroll wanting to prove that he was in fact the smarter of the 2 head coaches in the game.  If you watch as Lynch runs to the 1 yard line, the cameras go from NE to Seattle.  Pete looks like he thinks Bill is going to call TO.  When he doesn't, PC goes into his 'outsmart them' mode (don't believe me, look back at big games at USC - he constantly wants to show he is the smarter coach with plays that 'no one' expects).

In this case, he sees NE in goal line defense and he has 3 wides.  He thinks he will get complete pass to score.  After game, all everyone wants to ask is why he passed instead of run.  He gets to let eveyone know that he out-thought BB and won the game.  Too bad, so sad (well, not for me), he gets what most ego-maniacs get - left out in the cold.

Good call, bad call ... let's just enjoy it for what it was ... the hand of Crom reaching down to smite. 

Even he was sick of the arrogance. 

I remember how badly some of our fans were abused in Seattle in 2007, the comments about Sean Taylor jerseys needing more "bullet holes." Crom is pleased thinking of how distraught those fans will be for the rest of their football lives as they ponder what could have been. As am I. 

I think in retrospect, the specific passing play called is worse then calling a pass play. Throwing into the middle of the field like that, in traffic would have been risky no matter what.  Let's say the collision results in a tipped ball, there 3 other Patriots around to grab the INT.

If you want to call a pass play, they should have done a read option, play action, or bootleg, which would have given Wilson time to survey the field and throw the ball out of the back of the endzone with plenty of time still left to run it on 3rd down.

Now I'd agree with that. I don't mind passing there at all, but throwing into the middle of the field down there is always dangerous since there isn't as much room and players are already close together.

Now, having see the GIF of the play floating around, I think if Wilson throws it a smidge earlier it's a TD or at worst DPI. Lockette got out of his break good and was open, but Wilson looked like he waited a split second too long and that allowed Butler to break on the ball.

No issue with throwing there, just would have drawn something up that went to the outside or made sure Wilson knew he had to get rid of it immediatley.

I remember how badly some of our fans were abused in Seattle in 2007, the comments about Sean Taylor jerseys needing more "bullet holes." Crom is pleased thinking of how distraught those fans will be for the rest of their football lives as they ponder what could have been. As am I. 

Crom and I are both pleased. When Kearse brought in that goofy catch, I was thinking "Oh, crap... here comes the 12th man spewing of DYNASTY!" <groan> Then Butler takes it away and I just started laughing. The 12th man takes a 180 from jubilation to depression. And to think they were just 1 timeout away from maybe winning it all. If it were me, I would have let Lynch in for a try (at least) and then call timeout. Third down for that pass. Either you get a TD, no catch, or the Pats (as they did) INT. If it were a no catch or incomplete, time stops for the 4th and last play (which would probably be one more shot with Lynch). Now, they'll never know <grin>.

Crom and I are both pleased. When Kearse brought in that goofy catch, I was thinking "Oh, crap... here comes the 12th man spewing of DYNASTY!" <groan> Then Butler takes it away and I just started laughing. The 12th man takes a 180 from jubilation to depression. And to think they were just 1 timeout away from maybe winning it all. If it were me, I would have let Lynch in for a try (at least) and then call timeout. Third down for that pass. Either you get a TD, no catch, or the Pats (as they did) INT. If it were a no catch or incomplete, time stops for the 4th and last play (which would probably be one more shot with Lynch). Now, they'll never know <grin>.

A HUGE part of me agrees with you. I was very happy that Seattle didn't win. But, at the same time I think it would have actually been pretty cool for them to win their 2nd straight super bowl and become the first team to do that since 03-04.

Also, I think it's nice of Brady to want to give his brand new truck to Butler :) pretty classy move i think

Agreed, Dissident2.  And thank you for reminding me about that incident from that 2007 playoff game.   :angry:

I'm a USC alum and will always respect Pete Carroll for turning around what had been a moribund program.  ("Oh, but USC recruits itself," some say.  "What Carroll did wasn't all that special."  Oh, yeah?  If it was so easy, then why couldn't Ted Tollner, Larry Smith, John Robinson Part Deux, or Paul Hackett do it?)  And I want to root for Carroll to continue to be successful in the pros.  But, my goodness, the boorish fans and classless players of the Seahags (e.g. the aforementioned "Dick Jones" Sherman and Doug "Poopdown" Baldwin) sure make it difficult -- if not downright impossible -- for me to do that.   :rolleyes:

Ultimately, this year's Super Bowl, despite its twists-and-turns and close score, was not all that enjoyable for me to watch.  Yes, because of my disdain for the Seahags.  But, also, because of the fact that the Pats are a bunch of cheaters and everyone knows it, and yet they largely get away with it due to their owner being chummy with the Commish.  So the Big Game proved to be a matchup where I hoped that both teams could lose.   :huh:

I'm frankly surprised at all the overwhelming hate for the play call. I heard someone go so far as to say it was the worst play call in NFL history. Give me a break! The call was questionable at worst. The Hawks even got what they wanted on the play. It just so happened that one man diagnosed it correctly and made an amazing play. That's getting lost in all this and it kind of pisses me off. It was much more an amazing play made than a terrible play call.

I've watched it a couple times now... When Lynch dips into his 'Skittles' box, he sticks it directly in his gums.

I'm convinced he was using HGH gummies before game. Watch how he picks certain one and gums it, just like Arod was instructed 15 minutes before event.

Needs NFL investigation, who eats skittles like that

Archived