Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Super Bowl XLIX Thread ; * Patriots Are 4x SB Champions*

Mr. Sinister

Keep seeing posts that they should have run it three straight times. They couldn't. They only had 1 timeout left and 29 seconds in the game. They could have run it on 2nd and goal and called their last TO if they didn't get in. They would have been forced to throw on 3rd down and if they don't get in, they could run or pass on 4th down.

I blew this call, for sure. I thought Seattle was hands down the best team, they completely blew that last call.

Someone somewhere was saying Beilichick psyched them out by not calling a timeout there. Not buying it. Carroll's well known for getting too cute in the moment.

If I was a Seahwaks fan I'd be livid.

Great game, question though, how come Brady is not criticized for throwing primarily short passes to RB and TE's and getting YAC from zig's slants and drags from his quick WR's inside the numbers? This is smart football by the way, but I distinctly remember that being the game plan for a couple of Skins games and everyone made a big deal out of it and criticized the QB and the game plan. This is what the Pats do every game.

Actually heard the stats on the radio coming in.  Lynch was something like 1 for 5 with negative yardage from the goal line this season.

And only one timeout.

The play call seems a lot more reasonable.

Sherman needs to be quite about being the best CB until in a big game he's willing/allowed to move around the field with the other team's best WR.

To claim to be best CB when there are parts of the game when you are covering a FB is a bit of a joke.

No need to fire him. 

He'd just take a job elsewhere and sneak out the back door before the blame ever got to him. 

Thats what he does.

Yeah.... forget the fact that the Seahawks sucked before he got there and he built a monser team and turned them into super bow winners. Ignore the thousands of good decisions he's made, fire him for the one boneheaded call made by his O coordinator that he didn't override. That makes perfect sense. [/sarc]

I blew this call, for sure. I thought Seattle was hands down the best team, they completely blew that last call.

Someone somewhere was saying Beilichick psyched them out by not calling a timeout there. Not buying it. Carroll's well known for getting too cute in the moment.

If I was a Seahwaks fan I'd be livid.

Ironically, Belichick gets a pass by not calling a time out there.  If Seattle had gone on to score a TD, that call would have been questioned and rightly so.  The TO made all the sense in the world there.  If you call it and they score, you still have time to have Brady take you down into FG range.  

All said, that last Seattle play call was the most asinine thing I've seen in football in a long, long time.  It will go down in infamy and rightly so. 

What about the Super Bowl or even the NFCCG suggested that Seattle was hands down better than New England?

Their ability to win under even the worst circumstances. They get outplayed by two of the best QB's in the NFL and still pull out one win and almost a second win, if not for their HC having a brain fart.

Great game, question though, how come Brady is not criticized for throwing primarily short passes to RB and TE's and getting YAC from zig's slants and drags from his quick WR's inside the numbers? This is smart football by the way, but I distinctly remember that being the game plan for a couple of Skins games and everyone made a big deal out of it and criticized the QB and the game plan. This is what the Pats do every game.

Short yardage passes are probably the most underrated aspect of every offense. You need playmakers that turn those things into big plays. A big aspect is how important good route running is.  Catching a ball in space a lot of the times has to do with the routes.  Look at how many times they ran Gronk over the middle on a short route, but he always had space to run with the ball. If they needed 3, he'd get 5, almost every time. 

This was another game that is very typical of the Seahawks model. Your eyes tell you they have been outplayed most of the game, but when it is crunch time they are once again in position to win because that defense has given their offense chance after chance to make a few big plays.

After seeing the Doug Baldwin thing this morning, I think Seattle may be the most classless team in the NFL.  Glad they lost.  The football gods made the right choice yesterday.

what'd he do?

Short yardage passes are probably the most underrated aspect of every offense. You need playmakers that turn those things into big plays. A big aspect is how important good route running is.  Catching a ball in space a lot of the times has to do with the routes.  Look at how many times they ran Gronk over the middle on a short route, but he always had space to run with the ball. If they needed 3, he'd get 5, almost every time. 

This was another game that is very typical of the Seahawks model. Your eyes tell you they have been outplayed most of the game, but when it is crunch time they are once again in position to win because that defense has given their offense chance after chance to make a few big plays.

Short yardage passing can be effective, but I think it also really needs a highly accurate QB to allow for YAC, which is what Brady does very well.  Some QBs can do the short game but they put the ball in a position where the receiver has to slow or turn to catch it.  Brady, Rodgers seem to put it where the receiver runs through the catch.

Second paragraph was spot on.  It was a 7-7 game that beside the long bomb to Matthews, felt like it should have been 14-0 or even more.

It's so easy to second guess, yet if Lynch had been stuffed to end the game the narrative would've been, "why didn't they mix it up and throw the ball?"

Right, one thing to consider: the only way the Seahawks guarantee themselves 4 downs there is to pass on 1 of them. With only 1 timeout remaining, they had to throw a pass or they would have run out of time.

I can understand throwing it there. You assume an incomplete pass is pretty likely, but you don't really consider an INT on a slant like that (maybe the pass could have been lower, etc. - but I'm only talking about the play call). So, I can see how the thought-process might have been (assuming none of these result in a touchdown, of course): throw a pass on 2nd down (clock stops), run the ball on 3rd down (clock stops with final timeout), run the ball on 4th down (game ends on touchdown or turnover on downs). 

Keep seeing posts that they should have run it three straight times. They couldn't. They only had 1 timeout left and 29 seconds in the game. They could have run it on 2nd and goal and called their last TO if they didn't get in. They would have been forced to throw on 3rd down and if they don't get in, they could run or pass on 4th down.

That's correct, assuming you're starting right at the snap of the second down play. The play to get the ball to the one ended with almost exactly 1:00 left. If they had saved themselves even another 5-10 seconds before the second down play, they could have easily run it, lined up and run again, called timeout and had time for a 4th down play.

Archived