Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Cousins outplaying Griffin?

codeorama

The question I had were the deficiencies in Roberts stance, drop backs and consistancy more or less pronouced last year or have they always been about the same.

That's a good question. I noticed his inconsistent base more this year then last year. But I can't say it was more pronounced this year then last year because in 2012 I wasn't really looking/didn't care about his base because his ball was coming out on time and on target then. I only started noticing his base after tracking back from some his off target throws early in the season.

As far as his weight transfer, stepping into his throws throws and his carriage of the football I definitely noticed it more this year then 2012.

One thing I thought the Shanahans handled badly in 2013 offseason was trying to change fundemental physical things in Roberts game specifically his base and how and where he held the ball and his stance and it was too much to ask someone comming off such a serious injury . IMO if they wanted to make changes they should have treaded them in as Robert got more comfortable with his post injury self... however if things didn't really change in his fundementals then I may well have been off on that...

I've read/heard the rumors and I'm not one to take up for the Shanahan's but I don't know what the Shanahan's were coaching/changing as far as footwork and stance etc. I'm certain they weren't coaching him to be inconsistent and to throw off his back foot. So I don't blame that on them. However; I think they do shoulder some of the blame for allowing Griffin's fundamentals to slip.

Both RG3 and KC will be put to the test Monday Night, I think the starters will play a complete quarter. Both QB's are going up against a very stout Defense of the Browns. There is no doubt Kyle Shanahan has put a bug in the Defensive coordinators ear on the strength and weaknesses of both Griffin and Cousins. It would sure be nice to see both move the ball well, but I think this game will show us where we stand with our new system and how much work we really need to do to get ready for the season. Put it to em Redskins!

Both RG3 and KC will be put to the test Monday Night, I think the starters will play a complete quarter. Both QB's are going up against a very stout Defense of the Browns. There is no doubt Kyle Shanahan has put a bug in the Defensive coordinators ear on the strength and weaknesses of both Griffin and Cousins. It would sure be nice to see both move the ball well, but I think this game will show us where we stand with our new system and how much work we really need to do to get ready for the season. Put it to em Redskins!

I'm one of those who think that Cleveland is right on the edge of busting out and surprising alot of people.

Of course I also think Manziel will come in the 2nd half and go crazy against the lower tier fill-in defense.

Just hope no one gets hurt; it will be a physical game on all sides.

He also said they are asking Griffin to do things hes not comfortable with, in order to get better at them. When game time roles around you will see more boots, sprints and the like mixed in.

In essence Griffin is learning while Kirk is performing. Kirk should be expected to look better.

I actually listened to that conversation w/ Chris on the air and don't recall him affirming that Cousin's actually looked better.

He answered the scenario under the hypothetical IF (Cousins looks better) or MIGHT (be further ahead) not does or is.

So when you say its Cooley's opinion that Kirk has looked better from the pocket its not actually true nor was that his intended sentiment.

But you know what? The media is smart enough to recognize a trigger point when they have one.

In the metro area right/wrong or hypothetical saying something about Robert moves the needle.

This just in, Cousins, RG3, and Coach Gruden went out to eat. Cousins and Gruden got a baked potato for the side, RG3 got fries. Is there a QB controversy and rift between RG3 and Jay Gruden already?!?! ;)

Well that clinches it theres going to be a coup to annoit Cousins as the new face of the franchise. Thanks a lot buddy. :-)

There is always a QB controversy in Washington.

This isn't a real one yet, though.  If RG3 has another down year, or gets banged up and can't complete the year, and Cousins comes in and plays like he did in 2012 (winning football) then next off-season will be like Brunell vs Ramsey.

I'm still 110% in the RG3 camp right now.  I think he lights it up this year and silences all his critics.

This whole thing is silly.

It's grounded ONE Pats beat reporter giving an opinion.  And we care...why?  He's probably watched Brady throw from clean pockets for 15 years, so he probably has no idea what to make of a QB who moves around in the pocket.

In addition, imagine if, in the pre-season game, Robinson doesn't drop that pass in the endzone?  Then Griffin goes from 2/4 for 9 yards to 3/4 for 24 yards and a TD.

Maybe RGIII isn't Aaron Rodgers out there yet, but he's one beat reporter's opinion and a dropped pass away from being the clear and totally unquestionable starter.  Considering neither of those things are his fault, I consider him the starter.

If you know football you know that Cousins looked better from the pocket. That doesn't mean anything though with regards to who should be starting. We'll see RGIII scrambling around making plays and drooling again soon!!!!!

If you know football you know that Cousins looked better from the pocket. That doesn't mean anything though with regards to who should be starting. We'll see RGIII scrambling around making plays and drooling again soon!!!!!

i think one main thing being ignored in this discussion as it pertains to the first practice game, is the difference between one drive and five.

One guy had one drive, the other guy had five.

Cousins had more time to get comfortable in the pocket. His players around him had time to get into the flow of a game.

I feel that has more to do with seeing any comfort levels in the first game than anything.

Cousns first drive was not sharp.. near interception, throw-away on 3rd and 12, savied by a touchy penalty to keep the drive alive. Compared one on one with RG3s first drive, i can't see how anyone could give Cousins an edge.

Both threw exclusively to Robinson or to backs on flare patterns.

all passes to WRs were to aldrick robinson, all other throws were to running backs for the first 20 minutes.. zero intended passes to TE or any other WR. Paulsen caught one from RG3, but i still think it was intended for Morris and Paulsen went up and snagged it.)

I think we saw more of what the coaches were looking for in receivers and RB pass catching than the QB's being given plays that would be part of an actual gameplan.

Arguing over which was more 'comfortable' based on that game is a fan's errand, and ultimately meaningless.

but it sure is fun in August, eh?

~Bang

I'm one of those who think that Cleveland is right on the edge of busting out and surprising alot of people.

Of course I also think Manziel will come in the 2nd half and go crazy against the lower tier fill-in defense.

I don't think Kyle will have any problem exposing our Defensive weaknesses with any of his QB's, the only question I have is will he look across the field at Haslett and start laughing. Yes it's that easy folks lol.

I have cleveland down as my shocker of the season.. they could win the north. I love their defense.

fun bar bet:

Who has the third most pass attempts in a single season in NFL history?

the 2013 Cleveland Browns.

Didn't mean much ultimately, but no one would guess it.

~Bang

i think one main thing being ignored in this discussion as it pertains to the first practice game, is the difference between one drive and five.

One guy had one drive, the other guy had five.

~Bang

Exactly! The one drive Griffin had, he laid a beautiful pass into the end zone, too bad Robinson didn't come down with both feet in. Everyone then would have been talking how good RG3 looked. 

Putting an End to the "Quarterback Controversy" in Washington (by @Justin_Byram) http://sbnation.com/e/5771036 

Snippets:

First of all, the Redskins invested heavily in Griffin to be their franchise quarterback for the next 10-15 years.

As for Cousins "outplaying" Griffin, you have to consider a few things when analyzing this. Cousins is now completing his second full NFL offseason, something Griffin is in the process of completing for the first time.

Finally, and most importantly, Griffin is transitioning to becoming more of a "Pocket Passer" who uses the threat of his legs to hurt defenses when the time is right......

That was probably the worst written article that pawned itself off as "the end to the debate" I've ever read, on any topic.

I actually think that in attempting to end the debate, it sited both sides of the debate, this giving credence to the debate.

I can end the debate:

Gruden: "Robert's our QB, 100%"

See. That wasn't that hard.

I assume everyone knows there is no controversy.

I just post to shoot down the 'Cousins is better from the pocket' nonsense that persists despite the overwhelming lack of evidence to support it.

I mean there are so many legit areas for people to whine about. I don't understand why pocket passer misconceptions get repeated so often. I blame Kiem!!

;)

I missed this earlier, but the narrative breakdown written with the three screen-grab pics on the previous page is hilariously off target in so many ways, not the least of which is declaring Jordan Reed wide open, when the ball is already in the air and both guys guarding him have left him to break to the ball.

I actually listened to that conversation w/ Chris on the air and don't recall him affirming that Cousin's actually looked better.

He answered the scenario under the hypothetical IF (Cousins looks better) or MIGHT (be further ahead) not does or is.

So when you say its Cooley's opinion that Kirk has looked better from the pocket its not actually true nor was that his intended sentiment.

But you know what? The media is smart enough to recognize a trigger point when they have one.

In the metro area right/wrong or hypothetical saying something about Robert moves the needle.

Well, Well, Well...Who's the party pooper  bringing up facts in this discussion. Shame on you young man.

Archived