Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Cousins outplaying Griffin?

codeorama

I see no problem liking both quarterbacks.  They both need experience in order to get better.  The more a person practices, the more likely they are to achieve something great.  In this situation, I think you go with the guy that has more upside.  Right now that is Griffin.  If he fails, we have a nice back-up plan. 

Just listening to Schefter on 980.

Loverro was trying his hardest to stir the RG3 coach killer pot and you could tell that Shefter was dumbfounded over how stupid he was

That is all they do. He and Sheehan. Any morsel of RG3 news out there, and they are all over it trying to spin it. I never liked Loverro, but I've lost all respect for Sheehan.

I really wish this thread would go the way of the dodo.  

When I was a kid i was called dodobird a few times, but when I learned how they survived, it was quite impressing!

The adult lays the egg in another bird's nest, and usually the dodo hatched first, then it would push the other eggs outta the nest, thus getting ALL of the food and attention.

Now that the Nature Channel segment is done and over, back to topic; :)

Personally, i'm glad we have both QBs on the team; Griffin isn't as bad as some make him to be, and neither is Cousins. 2 very different types of QBs with the same goals in mind; W I N.

Utilized correctly, this could be the most dangerous duo in the league; almost a plug-n-play but with differences on how the ball is moved downfield. The bottom line is getting the ball downfield.

The biggest issue with these 2 is how gravitational Griffin is; he's a great player who had a bad year; so what?! I've never seen a QB in the NFL have stellar seasons year after year without a hiccup. How Griffin overcomes these hiccups is what will make or break him.

To be fair, Cousins hasn't gotten the fulltime starter spot, so he's not subject to what Griffin is; if you believe that Cousins wouldn't be a good QB with the same treatment as Griffin, then you're not being realistic, in an overall perspective. We haven't seen him in that position, so we can't say for sure, but I believe he could be a good QB.

Its when fans of a particular player become so emotionally attached to him that any mention of any other player is a threat, and in this case its not. Every QB wants to win, Griffin, Cousins, every single one of them do. That doesn't mean they have to be matched against each other, picked apart like a cheese crust pizza, and and unfairly criticized due to circumstances beyond their control.

Being competitive is in their blood, and they support and like each other, so if Cousins wants to start somewhere in the league, maybe he might be traded in the future, but honestly, we just do not know how Griffin will pan out in the next few years; some can speculate all they want, but that is blind hope, and all of us have that trait/quality/liability in us to a degree.

The Rosenfels tweet was legit but it's still probably bs

LL was making a joke

yeah.. that's what he just tweeted back.. he was being sarcastic...  wonder which NFL team would be considering a trade though..  Cleveland would make the most sense...  we turned down a 4th from them during the draft..  maybe they're looking to up the offer..

yeah.. that's what he just tweeted back.. he was being sarcastic...  wonder which NFL team would be considering a trade though..  Cleveland would make the most sense...  we turned down a 4th from them during the draft..  maybe they're looking to up the offer..

That would be all kinds of stupid, seeing as they just drafted Johnny Football, and they already had Brian Hoyer.

Simply getting rid of Kirk Cousins won't change anything though. This town is just schizophrenic beyond repair, and loves their backup QB's. Colt McCoy would just be the next guy in line, and the train will keep rolling

I can't believe the disdain some of you have for Cousins. He should not be the starter as it's Griffin's job to loose. Looking at Cousins starts last year he was not awful. Didn't he throw for almost 400 yards against Atlanta? He had several dropped passes against Dallas and played well enough for us to win the game. He WAS awful against NY but it was pretty tough to throw in that game. Let's not forget that Griffin had bad games as well and that's why he was benched.  

I have no disdain towards Cousins. I have a disdain towards bull****.

Rationalize, rationalize, rationalize. Receivers were dropping passing on Griffin all season.

Lol, at Griffin being benched because of performance.

Were you paying attention to anything that happened last year?

You know Griff's stat line the 4 games leading into the Chiefs game?

Vike-- 23/37---281 yards--3 TDs--66 comp%---114 QB rating

Philly-17/35---264 yards--2 TDs--49 comp%---81.1 QB rating

49ers--16/26--118 yards--1 INT---62 comp%---56.1 QB rating

NY-----24/32---207 yards--1 TD---75 comp%---102 QB rating

1 bad game against one of the top defenses in the league heading into the Chiefs debacle.

The Chiefs another good defense in a game played in a snowstorm (so much for protecting the QB right? lol) where the special teams lost the game early.

16/26---164 yards--1 TD--1 INT--46 comp%--63.6 QB rating.

2 bad games (against top defenses) out of 6 games? BENCH HIM!!! Lol

Wake up dude.

That is all they do. He and Sheehan. Any morsel of RG3 news out there, and they are all over it trying to spin it. I never liked Loverro, but I've lost all respect for Sheehan.

Sheehan was (and still is) in the tank for Mike Shanahan. Its pathetic. I almost never listen to their show but I am an glutton for some Redskins at 1pm in hopes they have something decent. I usually come away dissappointed.

I really wish this thread would go the way of the dodo.  

There is only so much bunk I can tolerate before having to respond.

Its like they're just spewing nonsense in hopes the volume of crap will be more then people are willing to respond to.

snapback.png

As someone stated in an earlier thread, 2 of Cousins' 3 opponents were just as terrible and "checked out" as the Skins

Yeah and Griffin played in about 6 games where the team and coaches checked out.  You could see it all over the players and coaches faces, attitudes, body language and execution that it was all over by the mid way point of the season.

With Cousins, you have a QB that`s comfortable dropping back, stoic in the pocket in the face of mayhem around him, making quick decisions.... and then firing a pass with authority. He can make almost any pass. Most of the time, he makes sound decisions... so he appears to have the look of having command of the offense. He can march an offense down the field in quick fashion -- even if they don`t end in scores. He`s comfortable with short passes but he`s also effective deep and isn`t shy about keeping defenses honest. And you see the exactly the type of QB play that makes some believe he is a franchise QB.

Unfortunately, he`s capable of sustaining that for about 1.5 drives (10 passing plays). He`ll get you a TD drive with amazing execution. And inevitably, either at the beginning of the next drive deep in his own territory.... or marching down the field deep in the opponents territory.... and with everything else being exactly the same... he`ll make a terrible decision/throw that leads to an INT (turnover). And the throw/decision is so questionable... that you wonder given his previous command... how he`d make such a terrible decision. You chalk it up to fluke... only to see the pattern continues all the time. You take the good, with the bad.

That`s Grossman in a nutshell. :-)

At best, he`s capable of having a complete game that blows you away statistically. 1 game. And then the law of averages evens out. That`s kinda what you want in backup QB. He`ll drive you nuts as a starter.

With RG3, you see a QB with the potential to consistently have good games.... with an occasional stinker. And his stinker stats are still better than Cousin`s average game. That`s what you want from a starter.

I don't understand this. We've waited for forever for a franchise QB, we get one, and then complain about everything he does as soon as he gets here. It's insane.

On this discussion I wouldn't call it complaining. We're just debating RGIII's 4 passing plays versus all of Cousins passing plays. RGIII didn't do a bad job at all and almost threw a touchdown pass so I don't think anyone is going to complain about that. I just thought that Cousins looked better overall which isn't hard considering he had a lot more work against second and third string guys. So even though Cousins did look better, that doesn't mean there is a QB controversy. Just something to talk about. Within the pocket Cousins passes the "eye" test and Griffin didn't in those 4 plays. For me RGIII still looked a little shaky within the pocket and I was hoping to see him more comfortable. I would expect his poise in the pocket to get better each pre-season game so hopefully week 1 he's 100% back to 2012 form.

Breaking down ("debating") RGIII after only throwing 4 ****ing passes; our own "fans". This is lunacy.  We have an amazing & maddening fan-base.   

There are only 4 pre-season games until the real deal starts. This is RGIII's make it or break it year. If he looks anything like last year then IMO he'll be on his way out, or just a mediocre starter until we find his successor. So yes, we are debating 4 passes because if RGIII struggles this season then the team will struggle. If RGIII plays like he did in 2012 then we'll take the division hands down.

You don't even remotely have any proof to state that, "awful pocket awareness" really? His fumble stats have nothing to do with his pocket awareness, how many of those have been outside the pocket? How large is Kirk Cousins' sample size to even compare? 

Did I imagine the 2012 giants game where he ran circles around the Giants D-line late in the 4th quarter on 4th and 10 and found Paulson for the pass? Did I imagine the 4 TD 300+ yard performance at Dallas? Did I imagine the nearly perfect game he had against the Eagles? Kirk Cousins threw a TD pass against the Ravens and had a good game against the Browns and suddenly he has "pocket awareness" because 'reasons'. Let's just omit the horrible games he had because the back up QB will always be better in this town. 

Enough already with the "Athletic QB by default has poor pocket awareness, can't read defenses, bad pocket player" schtick. 

Ummm. I never said anything about him not being able to read defenses. And I clearly stated he is the best QB on this team. But his pocket awareness has been terrible. Plain and simple. He has fumbled 23 times in his career. That number is unacceptable. It is the one aspect of his game that has been absolutely atrocious. He looks lost in the pocket. Like I said I hope it improves but there are no guarantees. It's also not a crime if he never gets great pocket awareness. There are ways around that deficit (designed roll outs as an example).

Edit: I wanted to follow up and add that we won a Super Bowl with a QB that had probably the worst pocket awareness in Redskins history. Mark Rypien. His pocket awareness was so bad that Gibbs kept extra protection in on just about every pass play. If he didnt then they rolled him out. 

Rationalize, rationalize, rationalize. Receivers were dropping passing on Griffin all season.

1 bad game against one of the top defenses in the league heading into the Chiefs debacle.

The Chiefs another good defense in a game played in a snowstorm (so much for protecting the QB right? lol) where the special teams lost the game early.

Wake up dude.

I love how you put up these silly stats to favor your argument. That Philly game, he was dreadful for 3 quarters. The offense could not even get a first down for 3 quarters. His stat line looks ok because the Eagles played prevent the last part of the game. Then he threw that god awful pick at the end of the game and blamed the wr's for not getting open. So...his last 4 starts, 3 of them were not good at all. You wake up.

In the end, I'm not going to argue as I'm a Griffin fan. I

Houston, their QB situation is a complete train wreck. I wouldn't trade them Cousins until after week 1 though. I dont' think a mid round pick is worth having a QB that knows the system and can help them beat us.

Wake up dude.

Wow, That's great news! As far as Cousins, he can play the position very well too, I bet both QB's will excel under Jay Gruden. He treats and coaches them like players, not children like Mike did. We are in great shape having both these QB's.

Archived