Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Cousins outplaying Griffin?

codeorama

Houston, their QB situation is a complete train wreck. I wouldn't trade them Cousins until after week 1 though. I dont' think a mid round pick is worth having a QB that knows the system and can help them beat us.

I thought about Houston, but i'm not sure he'd have enough time learning their system to be a factor week 1 which is why I said Cleveland being the most likely...

Ok how about this, a was there ANYTHING in the 2012 preseason games that would indicate the kind of season Robert would have?

Sometimes what the fans see and what the coaches see are completely different. They aren't necessarily looking for the same things we are.  

I'm so sick of this ****e,..

Kirk is a solid backup in this league,...and, will always be just that.

That said the jury is WAY out on RG3.  He's had one amazing rookie season running a semi-gimicky offense that surprised a lot of teams.  He relied more on his physical gifts than his skill as an NFL caliber QB.  Then, the injury.  He rushes back and last season is a complete disaster on all levels.

This year, new coach, new offense and RG3 being shaped into a more prototypical NFL QB.  I really want him to succeed but think this year he's gonna struggle.  Let's just hope he stays healthy (both in body and mind) and progresses as the season moves forward.

Alexa post #172: "That Philly game, he was dreadful for 3 quarters. The offense could not even get a first down for 3 quarters. His stat line looks ok because the Eagles played prevent the last part of the game."

1) The offense got plenty of first downs, all things considered. The O didn't get that many chances early on due to the Eagles' O, but when it did, they ran the ball well with Morris, who IIRC had around 80 yards in the first half (hence a low # of pass attempts for Griffin in that half). Multiple drives stalled just outside of FG range, at least one of which was due to a dropped pass on 3rd down. Another got in the RZ only for Reed to run the wrong route on what probably would've been a TD for him, and the play resulted in a turnover.

2) Do you have any evidence to support your claim that the Eagles were playing prevent? Because the fact that Grif's TD passes both came on long balls says otherwise.....

3) darrelgreenie could've gone further back and listed the stats from the SD & CHI games, which weren't far before the 4 games he listed, both of which were very good.

Alexa post #172: "That Philly game, he was dreadful for 3 quarters. The offense could not even get a first down for 3 quarters. His stat line looks ok because the Eagles played prevent the last part of the game."

1) The offense got plenty of first downs, all things considered. The O didn't get that many chances early on due to the Eagles' O, but when it did, they ran the ball well with Morris, who IIRC had around 80 yards in the first half (hence a low # of pass attempts for Griffin in that half). Multiple drives stalled just outside of FG range, at least one of which was due to a dropped pass on 3rd down. Another got in the RZ only for Reed to run the wrong route on what probably would've been a TD for him, and the play resulted in a turnover.

2) Do you have any evidence to support your claim that the Eagles were playing prevent? Because the fact that Grif's TD passes both came on long balls says otherwise.....

3) darrelgreenie could've gone further back and listed the stats from the SD & CHI games, which weren't far before the 4 games he listed, both of which were very good.

The offense was scoreless for 3 quarters. He was not playing well at all. You can try and sugar coat it all you want. He was holding the ball too long and in one instance it caused a turnover in the redzone...sack fumble which doesn't show up in the stats and the pass at the end was just awful. A throw off the back foot right to an Eagles defensder. Stop making excuses for him. Oh...and one of the deep passes was horribly under thrown.

Cousins hasn't been perfect either. He's thrown several bad passes too. But it seems like whenever someone says something bad about Griffin, stat sheets are pulled out. That crap never tells the entire truth about a performance.

In the end we have two young guys that have shown they can play. It's Griffin's job and I'm rooting for him, but if he struggles I don't want to wait around all season to see if he comes around.

In the end we have two young guys that have shown they can play. It's Griffin's job and I'm rooting for him, but if he struggles I don't want to wait around all season to see if he comes around.

I think RGIII should be the starter this season no matter what happens. This is his year to turn things around. If he doesn't improve on last years performance I don't think he will ever be a top 10 QB in this league and IMO Gruden will be looking for another QB very soon. We will all pretty much know based on this season's results whether or not RGIII is our QB of the future or if he'll just be another guy.

Cousins hasn't been perfect either. He's thrown several bad passes too. But it seems like whenever someone says something bad about Griffin, stat sheets are pulled out. That crap never tells the entire truth about a performance.

Lol, yeah right. That 'crap' about the stat sheet. Damn stats never tell the truth about a player huh...I guess I would say that too if I was trying to make claims completely unsupported by any of the available data. Or maybe some people just like to see accurate assessment and statements made about any player?

IF Griffin struggles he should be afforded the opportunity to work through them, just as you are clearly okay with Cousin's struggles.

And yes compared to Griffin, Cousin's production can be seen an nothing other then a struggle.

I think RGIII should be the starter this season no matter what happens. This is his year to turn things around. If he doesn't improve on last years performance I don't think he will ever be a top 10 QB in this league and IMO Gruden will be looking for another QB very soon. We will all pretty much know based on this season's results whether or not RGIII is our QB of the future or if he'll just be another guy.

I disagree. If guys are getting open and he's not getting them the ball, let's say 8 games, time for a change. Trust me, that's not going to be a good situation with the talent we have. We already saw Garçon last year take shots at Griffin.." our passing game sucks." Remember that? Now you add DJax and Roberts? These guys are going to want the ball.

I do think Griffin will make more good plays over bad ones. But if struggles week after week, we can't leave him in there. Just my opinion.

Lol, yeah right. That 'crap' about the stat sheet. Damn stats never tell the truth about a player huh...I guess I would say that too if I was trying to make claims completely unsupported by any of the available data. Or maybe some people just like to see accurate assessment and statements made about any player?

IF Griffin struggles he should be afforded the opportunity to work through them, just as you are clearly okay with Cousin's struggles.

And yes compared to Griffin, Cousin's production can be seen an nothing other then a struggle.

What are you talking about? I just gave you data about the Eagles game. The stat line CLEARLY didn't tell the truth against the Eagles. You put the stat sheet up and said that was a good game for him and it OBVIOUSLY wasn't. End of discussion.

This is RG3's make or break year? Really? His first full year coming off an horrific injury, learning a new offense and developing as a pocket passer. Ya'll too funny.

Its a show me now league. Not many players get more than 3 years to prove it without teams looking for their replacement. Right or wrong, its the way it is.

This is RG3's make or break year? Really? His first full year coming off an horrific injury, learning a new offense and developing as a pocket passer. Ya'll too funny.

Last year was his first full year coming off of injury. This year he had the full off season to get better as a QB. So yes make or break baby.

What are you talking about? I just gave you data about the Eagles game. The stat line CLEARLY didn't tell the truth against the Eagles. You put the stat sheet up and said that was a good game for him and it OBVIOUSLY wasn't. End of discussion.

I'll let you know when the discussion is over. K?

Second you can view the games anyway you want, but don't expect anyone else to follow you down the road wearing blinders.

Third whether you regard the Eagles games as good or bad the FACT remains that you cannot find any metric that supports Cousins is on Griffin's level enough to even warrant this fantasyland belief you hold of Cousins somehow rivaling Griffin.

Mike Shanahan tried that nonsense during the last 3 games and fell flat on your face.

How is Denver?

Now the discussion can be over.

This is crazy talk about a make or break year for Robert.  People are forgetting that he is learning a new system this year and we have a rookie coach...he may get it or may not get it this year but I think he will.  If he don't get it you go with him again next year because sometimes it take more than three years especially if a new system is being deployed.  By the way, I don't count year 2 because Robert was coming off injury and the disfunction with the team as a whole was a problem for all involved.

Why does it have to be any different with Robert versus other quarterback in the league?  How many opportunities have Bradford and Matthew Stafford had to get it right?  I don't post much but I've been here a long time.  However,  some of the knee jerk posts or reactions are legendary!

HTTR! 

***STOP-IT, ALREADY, with the 'INCESSANT VITRIOL & HATE AGAINST RG3!!!

I remember 'SONNY v. BILLY'. Head Coach George (Father if Bruce) Allen simply DID NOT LIKE Sonny; in-spite of the INDISPUTABLE FACT that Sonny was 'ALL-OF-IT', as a QB/Passer!?!

Then Sonny Injured his Achilles. He would have 'Lit the Dolphins Up', in that SB-VII(?).

ROBERT, NOT KIRK, is The REDSKINS' QB!!! PERIOD.

How come HE has to be 'Super-QB', in order to 'Satisfy' you 'Rabid Nay-Sayers'?!?

Is he on the Level of 'Brady/Manning/Brees/Rodgers'? No!!! Is he 'Every-Bit AS-GOOD-ASS/BETTER-THAN' the Rest? DEFINITELY!!!

Is he going to 'PROGRESS to ELITE-LEVELS'? (IMHO) 'PROBABLY'!!! GREAT 'Football-IQ' + GREAT 'Tutelage' + GREAT 'Teammates' (SHOULD) = GREAT 'QB'!?! Jus'-Sayin'...

Here're 'The GREAT' Peyton Manning's 'Super Bowl Stats':

Manning's SB Stats (Damned Cellphones)...

Peyton Manning's Career Super Bowl Plays:

Pro-Football-Reference.com http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannPe00/super-bowl/

I'm not going to lie: Just the idea of this thread lasting the entire season excites me in a way that I have not felt since I discovered that gym bag filled with Playboys in the woods when I was 12.

To quote Mrs. Doubtfire, "Ooh, you are a wicked wicked man."

How come HE has to be 'Super-QB', in order to 'Satisfy' you 'Rabid Nay-Sayers'?!?

I am not a nay-sayer but RG3 does need to become a Super-QB since we spent 3 firsts and a second to draft him.

Maybe not this year with a new system and coach, but sooner rather than later.

Though being compared with Cousins at this point is rather ludicrous however.

Stats were also used to defend former great Redskin QBs. Jason Campbell and Donovan McNabb put up decent numbers as well. Of course, if you trusted your own eyes instead of the stats, you'd see they were completely inept and borderline painful to watch. That didn't stop many of these same people from trotting out meaningless statlines to defend them, and, at the same time, excuse poor QB play by pointing the finger at the rest of the (admittedly subpar) offense.

Griffin, although being a much more talented player, inspired the same feelings of dread in me last year. I was relieved when he was finally benched, much as I was relieved when McNabb was. I just didn't want to watch either attempt to play QB anymore. It was depressing.

All that being said, I don't see the point in arguing about it with people who have already made up their minds about the matter. Call me a hater if you like. I don't care. I just want the TEAM to win games.

Griffin and Cousins both have high ceilings. Griffin's is higher due to his athletic abilities, and thats a good thing.

Cousins may be a little closer to his own ceiling than Griffin is to his own, but thats not a bad thing.

They both have good qualities, and Griffin is a better QB [ right now ] than Cousins is, and they both understand their position on the team; they're not back-stabbing each other, they help each other out; its called being a teammate.

If Griffin goes down for a lenghty period of time, I have faith that Cousins can fill in and do a good job; i'm not saying he's gonna be the NFL MVP or anything, but he is good enough to be the back-up. Why there's so much hate for Cousins is baffling, hec he knows he's not the starter,  but he's not trash like some promote him to be.

It does appear that for some people, they're wholeheartedly emotionally invested in Griffin, and the mere mention of ANYONE else draws ire from them. It doesn't even appear to be football-related.

But, there's a reason the roster spot is called 'back-up QB', and their job is to come in and hopefully manage the game good enough to win; every QB in the league risks being injured, and coaches/teams want the best quality back-up QB they can get, and we have that in Cousins.

Just be happy we have that, because some teams don't even have a quality STARTING QB, and if Griffin does go down, i'd feel much more confident in Cousins than Pat White or Grossman going in. Give him the oppotrunities Griffin has had, and he'll be fine; stop using garbage time and season-blown stats to try and prove a point. You'll be glad you did later.

RGIII doesn't have to be a pro bowler this year to prove himself as our franchise QB. But he does need to show improvement from last season which I'm 99% sure we will see. Whether he improves or not is certainly make or break. I believe he will make it. Our franchise and fan base needs him to make it. But trying to pretend that this year is not a HUGE year for RGIII is just hiding your head under the covers to escape the truth. RGIII wants it like this, "No Pressure No Diamonds". You better believe that the pressure is sky high for RGIII to perform. HTTR!!!!

Stats were also used to defend former great Redskin QBs. Jason Campbell and Donovan McNabb put up decent numbers as well. Of course, if you trusted your own eyes instead of the stats, you'd see they were completely inept and borderline painful to watch. That didn't stop many of these same people from trotting out meaningless statlines to defend them, and, at the same time, excuse poor QB play by pointing the finger at the rest of the (admittedly subpar) offense.

Griffin, although being a much more talented player, inspired the same feelings of dread in me last year. I was relieved when he was finally benched, much as I was relieved when McNabb was. I just didn't want to watch either attempt to play QB anymore. It was depressing.

All that being said, I don't see the point in arguing about it with people who have already made up their minds about the matter. Call me a hater if you like. I don't care. I just want the TEAM to win games.

It should be against the law to mention Jason Campbell's name on this site.  Talk about a dumpster fire in the middle of a desert.

Archived