Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per DCRTV: Dan Snyder to sell radio stations

Popeman38

Rumor on @DCRTV is that Dan Snyder is close to selling his radio stations, which include 980 in DC and 950 in Richmond.

http://dcrtv.com/

Cumulus Buying Snyder's Sports Talkers? - 8/8 - DCRTV hears from a local radio source that there is a rumor floating around that Cumulus is talking to Redskins owner Dan Snyder's Red Zebra broadcasting arm about buying its two stations - sports talkers ESPN 980, WTEM, and Sportstalk 570. WSPZ. If true, the deal would give Cumulus four more signals in the DC market - WTEM's 980 AM, 92.7 FM, and 94.3 FM, and WSPZ's 570 AM. Cumulus already owns news talker WMAL, 105.9 FM and 630 AM, and contemporary hit WRQX, 107.3 FM. It's no secret that Snyder wants to get out of the radio ownership business. He recently sold his Norfolk area sports talker, and his DC and Richmond area stations have been on the market for at least a year. There's also talk that Cumulus wants to expand its NASH country music format into the DC market and some pairing of Red Zebra's signals, particularly the FM outlets, would lend itself to that. More as we hear it.....

Possibility of getting Larry Michael off the radio?? Please??

that would be sweet.  But you aren't buying the "Redskins Broadcasting Network" and making decisions.  That is it's own package.

The ownership of the air waves in which the game is broad casted has little to nothing to do with who calls the game.  That's up to the team.

One less thing to bash the team over

I wonder if 106.7 will start to bid on broadcasting games again 

i hope not. 106.7 does nothing but bash the team constantly. 

i enjoy 980 and think the only people that accused them of being swayed by the owner were people that never even bothered to listen.

hopefully those guys get to keep their gigs.

It gets rid of the "conflict of interest" stink for the reporters and producers on the station.  Mind you, if he sells the station there's no guarantee that the buyer will keep the format.  Is all-sports profitable enough?

Lots of risk to Redskins radio listeners here.

It gets rid of the "conflict of interest" stink for the reporters and producers on the station. Mind you, if he sells the station there's no guarantee that the buyer will keep the format. Is all-sports profitable enough?

Agreed.

And there is another competitor.

I hope Cooley stocks somewhere. That's about all I really care about on 980 at the moment.

that would be sweet.  But you aren't buying the "Redskins Broadcasting Network" and making decisions.  That is it's own package.

The ownership of the air waves in which the game is broad casted has little to nothing to do with who calls the game.  That's up to the team.

I was considering buying the Radio Station DC9, but then I realized I didn't have any damn money lol. So I guess we're stuck with Larry for a while longer.

Would be great if he sold his stake of the team, too. Lol, we can dream, can't we??

Nope. Yeah have Snyder sell the team, we then give in to all the political parties who are just trying to get votes. Snyder has made mistakes in his life as an owner, but I support him.

I was considering buying the Radio Station DC9, but then I realized I didn't have any damn money lol. So I guess we're stuck with Larry for a while longer.

If you win the lottery, I've got dibs on the afternoon drive slot.

Would be great if he sold his stake of the team, too. Lol, we can dream, can't we??

What makes you think we'd get anyone better? And I don't think Snyder is anywhere near as bad as some people think. His biggest mistake was surrounding himself with unqualified yes men. That seems to no longer be the case. But he's passionate and will do whatever it takes to win. That's better than at least half the owners in the league.

Under Dan Snyder's ownership, the record is 104-136 with the best record (achieved 3 times) at 10-6.

Yep, and the team was 36-59-1 in the 6 years before he took over. Too many people associate Snyder with the downfall of the Redskins. The truth is we were already in "once proud franchise" territory half a decade before we had even heard the name Daniel Snyder. 

It gets rid of the "conflict of interest" stink for the reporters and producers on the station.  Mind you, if he sells the station there's no guarantee that the buyer will keep the format.  Is all-sports profitable enough?

There was a debate of whether DC could handle 2 all-sports stations. And if you look closely, you'll see that even 106.7 is kinda trying to return to their old format somewhat with CDVTW. From what I understand (refuse to listen because of how he treats callers), his show is more guy talk with some sports.

But as far as Redskins radio / sports radio. I don't think we have anything to worry about. I mean this very site was started because we (Om/Die Hard/etc) weren't satisfied with the media coverage of the Skins and wanted more. I do listen to the radio a lot, but if 980 became country music, I'd just listen to more NPR and less sports, and when I needed a fix, I'd come here or read one of the ever-increasing Redskins-related blog sites. Heck, I may even start my own blog in such a situation.

What makes you think we'd get anyone better? And I don't think Snyder is anywhere near as bad as some people think. His biggest mistake was surrounding himself with unqualified yes men. That seems to no longer be the case. But he's passionate and will do whatever it takes to win. That's better than at least half the owners in the league.

While this is true, I think his biggest mistake is burning bridges. Like the rumors about how he treated Mike Nolan and Norv Turner. The way he handled the Gregg Williams situation. Maybe its because he became an owner at such a young age, but the lack of professionalism he showed at the top really made it hard for me to just say "but he loves the team". I mean, even with the Tom Cruise stuff or the Clinton Portis not practicing because Snyder okayed it (not sure how true this is, but it leaves a bad impression).

And we saw it in 2008, and possibly 2010 when rumors were that nobody wanted to work for him. Maybe that was a humbling factor that led to him being willing to give up involvement and let Shanny (and now Allen) do things. We'll see where things go from here and I hope he improves because we're stuck with him, but I can't just give him credit for loving this team.

The way he handled the Gregg Williams situation. 

Huh, you mean the way he discovered Williams was an uncontrollable egomaniac who dissed everything before him and everything around him? The guy who was tossed out of his job in New Orleans?

Handled it by not hiring him to a position Williams treated as if he was owed?

Really?

Yep, and the team was 36-59-1 in the 6 years before he took over. Too many people associate Snyder with the downfall of the Redskins. The truth is we were already in "once proud franchise" territory half a decade before we had even heard the name Daniel Snyder. 

True TD, but the Snyder ownership has now lasted two and a half times longer than the six year period of 1993-98.  I think some people have the attitude of "whatever was Snyder to do, for the team he bought had sucked for six seasons before he took over." Not saying you are saying that, but sometimes I sense that attitude from some. Unfortunately, most of his choices, at least at the head coaches level, have not worked out, and the perception of the organization being quite thin-skinned has not helped.

Archived