Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Airline Misadventures

Burgold

Has anyone here had a "close encounter" where you feared for your safety/life on a flight?

A bit morbid considering the events of the past week, but the Dubai to DC flight (or DC to Dubai flight) goes directly over Syria/Iraq/parts of Iran and Afghanistan.

I was worried a bit on both of those legs of my flight

Has anyone here had a "close encounter" where you feared for your safety/life on a flight?

I had the opposite of a close encounter once.  I was in line for a Southwest flight and two guys walked up to me and asked me if I'd sit next to them.  I looked at them VERY quizzically, and they explained that they were priests (not Catholic), who'd taken vows of celibacy and they couldn't touch a woman.

Luckily we were roughly at number C40 in line (if you don't know Southwest's boarding process, that's basically the last people on the plane), so it was completely unrealistic I could sit next to them even if I was cool with their plan.  I gladly found a middle seat between two women and spared them the temptation of having to sit next to a woman.

Flying into Miami this year back in March during the landing the plane bounced hard. Like not your typical landing bumps, but jumpped off the tramac. It was a real heart in your throat moment, but that is the worse for me.

The biggest adventure I ever had on a flight was the weekend after 9/11 on a flight to Atlanta. There were a few passengers that were still trying to get to there location that were affected by the halt in airline flights due to 9/11. But anyway, they weren't sure if the landing gear had come all the way down and we did at least one fly by so the tower could see if the landing gear had come down. I remember one of the pilots coming into the cabin to address the problem. Remember, this was the weekend right after 9/11 so everyone was a little bit nervous. We landed without any problems with fire trucks and ambulances ready.

I wouldnt say I really feared for my life but I was on a flight from Atlanta to hartford once and as I was looking out a plane flew underneath us in the opposite direction.

It was just a flasg but I swear it looked like I coulda touched the thing.

I asked if anyone else saw it and nobody had.

As I was exiting the plane I stopped and mentioned it to tje pilot.

His eyes got kinda big as he said "you saw that"

He then said that was a near miss and was gonna have to report it to the f.a.a.

It happened so fast I wasnt really worried for my life though

Oh yeah. Twice on the same flight. I have been flying almost every week for work for the past 20+ years probably averaging about 100 flights a year. Anyway, I'm on a flight from Houston to Richmond on old Continental airlines CRJ100. That's the small commuter jet with 2 seats on either side & no 1st class. That Thursday, a hurricane was working it's way up the coast & was currently off the coast of Maryland. As we boarded I asked the co-pilot if the weather was clear in RVA & he said it wouldn't be a problem. Yeah, let's see what you say later. The flight is about 3 hours. About 1.5 hours into the flight we start our descent into dense clouds. I've been on this flight many times so I begin to wonder wtf is going on with such an early descent. Once we enter the clouds the entire plane begins to shake hard. I mean teeth chattering. An old couple sitting across the aisle from me look at each other and quickly grasp each others hands with a look of panic on their face. Everyone sitting in front of me is looking around scared as crap. So this continues for the next hour & 20 minutes. Constant bouncing & shuttering as we descend. I was holding up a newspaper reading the thing out loud to keep my mind off of the bouncing. Finally, we break through the clouds. I put the paper down, look out the window and let out a huge sigh of relief. Everyone I see has a big smile on their face. Then we hear the wheels being released for landing. The pilot comes on and tells the flight attendants to prepare for landing. And then...****ing pilot pulls up the wheels, pulls up the nose of the plane and heads back into the clouds. He missed the approach. Back into that **** again. Everyone's face is white. People were actually throwing things down they were so mad. An hour later we finally landed. I have never, ever been that scared on a flight. The original descent was horrible. When he pulled that nose up I was ready to storm the cabin and beat the **** out pilot & co-pilot. 

a little regional jet i was in got hit by lightning as we were on our landing approach into OKC. shook the plane and sounded like a bomb went off. planes are built to handle that stuff, but damn, it was a scary moment.

These are great stories. Wish I just created a thread on it...

I was flying into NJ in February after a big snowstorm so there were some pretty heavy wind gusts still. Right as we were landing, maybe 50 feet from the wheels touching the tarmac, a rogue wind gust jolted the plane so hard I thought we were going to crash. Everyone on board screamed and then applauded 10 seconds later after we landed safely.

Super-Clam!

That's incredibly disturbing

I was on a flight to Hawaii.   Halfway there, over thousands of miles of open ocean, I notice a trickle of smoke entering the cabin from the ventilation system.  I'm getting nervous.    The smoke gets thicker.   Other people notice.   Murmurs begin.   Plane hits a bump.  Several people scream (no doubt including me).   Intercom crackles to life.  "This is your captain speaking.  We have a problem...."  I am clutching the armrests so hard that my knuckles are white.

"One of the airconditioning units has burned out.   It may be a little bit warm in the plane for the remainder of the flight.  We at Aloha Airlines appreciate your understanding."

Massive sighs of relief everywhere.  It's about 95 degrees in that plane when we land and the whole plane smells like fear sweat.  

I wouldnt say I really feared for my life but I was on a flight from Atlanta to hartford once and as I was looking out a plane flew underneath us in the opposite direction.

It was just a flasg but I swear it looked like I coulda touched the thing.

I asked if anyone else saw it and nobody had.

As I was exiting the plane I stopped and mentioned it to tje pilot.

His eyes got kinda big as he said "you saw that"

He then said that was a near miss and was gonna have to report it to the f.a.a.

It happened so fast I wasnt really worried for my life though

Something similar happened to me on a flight from Dulles to Orlando in April. A plane flew under and behind us ... I was looking out the window and it basically came from the front left to the back right of the plane ... I too felt as though I could reach out and touch it, but in reality it was probably well below us. But I asked a pilot friend and while I forget what the flying distance is that they told me was standard for separation, the plane seemed well closer than that to me, at least how I remembered it. That being said, it did happen really fast and I never really feared for anything ... I doubt we would have ever come into contact with that plane since both pilots obviously saw one another approaching ... but your story makes me wonder how many of these "close calls" we really have without knowing or hearing about them.

Never had a really scary moment. Once flying from LA to Vegas, I did experience turbulence so bad that one of the flight attendants said "Oh my God!' outloud. As others have said, you really want your flight attendants to keep it together.

These are great stories. Wish I just created a thread on it...

I was flying into NJ in February after a big snowstorm so there were some pretty heavy wind gusts still. Right as we were landing, maybe 50 feet from the wheels touching the tarmac, a rogue wind gust jolted the plane so hard I thought we were going to crash. Everyone on board screamed and then applauded 10 seconds later after we landed safely.

Yeah, I've had similar events flying into the Newark airport. That place has horrible crosswinds. One time flying on a prop plane, right before the wheels hit the tarmac a huge gust of wind hit one side of the plane and lifted it up. The wheel on the opposite side hit the tarmac. The wind kind of held us there on one wheel which seemed like forever. Screams ensued. Then it other wheel hit the tarmac.

That airport is in my top 5 worst airports. 

Lots of incidents ... engine fire as we approached landing and multiple emergency vehicles racing us down the runway. Two other mechanical failures severe enough where the plane was able to go through a pretty hard landing but was unable to taxi and we had to get on buses at the end of the runway.

Was on a transatlantic flight where the turbulence was so bad that everyone was seated for about three hours, including crew, and there were precipitous drops.

But a former work colleague was in two separate crashes where the chutes were deployed. Another was on a plane that was hijacked.

Lots of incidents ... engine fire as we approached landing and multiple emergency vehicles racing us down the runway. Two other mechanical failures severe enough where the plane was able to go through a pretty hard landing but was unable to taxi and we had to get on buses at the end of the runway.

Was on a transatlantic flight where the turbulence was so bad that everyone was seated for about three hours, including crew, and there were precipitous drops.

But a former work colleague was in two separate crashes where the chutes were deployed. Another was on a plane that was hijacked.

You are one of my favorite posters. I'm never getting on a flight with you.

I have several incidents:

1) I was coming back from Djibouti on a British Air Flight. The FA is sitting in front of me and she knew how much I dislike flying so she was looking out for me. We are landing at Heathrow and there is a pretty strong crosswind so we came in kind of at an angle (its hard to describe) As we touch down the cross wind is pretty strong and the pilot over compensates. So we go up on one wheel, come down then go back up on the other wheel. I remember looking out the window thinking damn the wing is going to hit the ground and we are going to be screwed. After we get all the wheels down the FA says to me "the pilot must of let the copilot land, she can't fly to save her life!" Gee thanks1

2) This is probably the most scary experience I have had: Vegas is the WORST airport I have been in. I was flying in and out of Vegas about once a month for 2 years and I never had a good experience landing there. So it was in January and the winds are really strong. I am at the hotel looking at the news and they are talking about gusts up to 40mph. I am thinking ahh they won't take off in that! I get to the airport and say the wind has got to have died down we planes are taking off. We get on the plane and I notice the plane is shaking. At first I thought it was a service vehicle that was causing it, then I noticed its the wind. Wow, we are going to have to sit here until the wind dies down.....nope! we start to taxi out. Then it comes time for take off....we are back and forth across the runway everyone is a little scared. Then as soon as the wheels came off it felt like the plane was on its side and everyone screams! Pilot corrects it and for the next 40 minutes was the roughest turbulance I have ever felt so many sudden drops that the flight attendants never got out of there seats. you could smell the fear in the cabin. I had these three 20 something girls sitting behind me and one said "This is worse than the bus" Another says "I think I am going to get sick!" I kept thinking if I hear you throw up, I am going to be right behind you! Thankfully it was only to San Diego. Worst flight ever!

3) This isn't a bad flight but I was heated: Flying from Miami to SD last month. I had stayed up all night hanging with my boy so when I got on the flight I was ready to crash out. We get up in the air and its turbulance all the way to Dallas with a baby screeching behind me the WHOLE time. The mom would just be like "shhhhh, we have to be quit honey" I was like shut that damn kid up, its to early for all that screeching. LOL

BTW out of all the flights I have been on, I have never been next to the hot chic. I did have some 50y/o chic show me pics of her friends boobs from their Vegas trip though. LOL Truly not wanted...yuck!

1) Puddle jumper from DFW to San Angelo - HUGE summer thunderstorm with serious hail. Not sure if anyone has flown in hail, but it is LOUD when its thumping the plane. Hit a downdraft and plane drops enough that the Dallas phonebook in the overhead bin is sent flying and lands spine first on my head. Split me wide open. Horrible landing. Bounced a few times. Last time I flew in/out of San Angelo, I drove my ass to Dallas from that point on.

2) Flying home from SFO - As soon as we hit the Rockies, it was the most turbulent flight I have ever been on. Multiple drops that lifted you out of your seat. Overhead bins popping open. No drink service. No bathroom breaks. All the way to Louisville the plane was literally dancing. From Louisville to Dulles was smooth as could be. But the turbulence over the Rockies was BAD. The pilot said it was his worst flight as well.

Now for the best experience:

Sept 29, 2008, DFW to IAD - I was up all night celebrating the Skins closing down Texas Stadium with a win. As soon as the plane started to taxi, I was out cold. Woke up when the wheels hit the ground. Have no idea what happened on that flight, but there were a bunch of Skins fans on the flight and it was AWESOME.

If you've ever flown into Sedona Airport when there are strong heat thermals, I imagine it's like landing on an aircraft carrier in heavy seas. The Sedona runway is on a plateau and as you look out the front of the plane on the approach you see runway, then rock face, then runway, then rock face, then runway and then land. Hoping you get on to the runway before the next drop.

DSC00620.jpg

Archived