Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Airline Misadventures

Burgold

If you've ever flown into Sedona Airport when there are strong heat thermals, I imagine it's like landing on an aircraft carrier in heavy seas. The Sedona runway is on a plateau and as you look out the front of the plane on the approach you see runway, then rock face, then runway, then rock face, then runway and then land. Hoping you get on to the runway before the next drop.

Going to Palm Springs is very similar.  You fly down a canyon, and even though you know those canyon walls are far away, they LOOK like they are right next to you.  And the thermals buffet the plane like crazy.

Also, never fly in or out of Orange County/John Wayne airport if you can help it.   The airport is surrounded by city, and because of noise restrictions, you drop in like a rock, and take off like an Apollo rocket.  My friend the aeronautics engineer won't fly there, because he thinks the takeoffs are too steep and close to the stall point where there is not enough airflow across the wings.  

You fly down a canyon, and even though you know those canyon walls are far away, they LOOK like they are right next to you.  And the thermals buffet the plane like crazy.

Funny story ... the person who was the pilot when I flew into Sedona also took advantage of the Federal shutdown in '95-96 to fly a small plane through the Grand Canyon. Like Star Wars Pod Racing without the 'race' bit.

2) This is probably the most scary experience I have had: Vegas is the WORST airport I have been in. I was flying in and out of Vegas about once a month for 2 years and I never had a good experience landing there. So it was in January and the winds are really strong. I am at the hotel looking at the news and they are talking about gusts up to 40mph. I am thinking ahh they won't take off in that! I get to the airport and say the wind has got to have died down we planes are taking off. We get on the plane and I notice the plane is shaking. At first I thought it was a service vehicle that was causing it, then I noticed its the wind. Wow, we are going to have to sit here until the wind dies down.....nope! we start to taxi out. Then it comes time for take off....we are back and forth across the runway everyone is a little scared. Then as soon as the wheels came off it felt like the plane was on its side and everyone screams! Pilot corrects it and for the next 40 minutes was the roughest turbulance I have ever felt so many sudden drops that the flight attendants never got out of there seats. you could smell the fear in the cabin. I had these three 20 something girls sitting behind me and one said "This is worse than the bus" Another says "I think I am going to get sick!" I kept thinking if I hear you throw up, I am going to be right behind you! Thankfully it was only to San Diego. Worst flight ever!

i was on a flight just like this one... the turbulence started unexpectedly, and i saw the guy in front of me (who didn't have his seat belt on, obviously) thown up into the air to smash his head on the overhead bin, which opened up and dumped out somebody's crap, then the girls you were talking about DID throw up .. which caused a mini chainreaction ... and then the crazy old lady started to panic and scream out that we were all going die, which caused a DIFFERENT chain reaction of every kid on the plane, and maybe 10% of the adults to sob uncontrollably.     

i was ok until the eu de vomit phase.   

I've only had one crazy thing happen to me during a flight (knock on wood) and that was on the flight home from Disney World.  My daughter was 4 at the time, we had a row to ourselves, my parents were opposite the plane to us, one row back.  So, we were probably 30 mins away from Charlotte, the guy in front of me unbuckles and stands up and starts yelling at my daughter to stop kicking his seat, was cursing me and my daughter.  Guy was nuts.

Wife was dozing, so was my daughter, or she was.  I looked at my daughter and said not to kick peoples seats and she said she didn't do it on purpose.  The guy starts going off on her again and I almost lost it.  I told him to sit his ass down and never look or talk to my daughter again.  I told him that if he has an issue, the proper way to handle it would be to tell the parents to have their child not kick their seat, not to start yelling at a 4 year old child.

He mumbled something derogatory at me and I just said, you need to stay in your seat and not look back at us again and I'll ensure my daughter doesn't kick your seat.  Everyone was looking at this guy go postal.  Well, when we got off the flight and plane, I caught up to him in the terminal and asked him if he had a problem.  He mumbled something and I said you wanted to get all Billy bad ass while we were in the air when I couldn't do anything, so here I am right now.  Then I asked him if he was on his way to the elementary school down the road so he could scream/bully some 1st graders.  

Wife finally caught up to me and calmed me down and I let it go.  He was with his daughter, who appeared to be in her early 20s, she looked embarrassed by her father to say the least, both during his rampage in-flight and afterwards.  It takes a lot to push my buttons now, you pretty much have to go after my family.  And I can't stand yuppies that think they can do what they want when they are protected and take advantage of situations like that guy did, being in-flight and all.

Puddle jumper from Greensboro, NC to National in DC. 

Rainy, cold, wet.  Not a terrible storm but the clouds were incredibly thick and low.  There was a little bit of turbulence which didn't bother me a bit, it was those short, hard little bounces....but then there were a few where you could feel the plane really just drop quite a few feet. Circling, circling, circling National airport, the pilot kept coming on and saying he was looking for a break in the weather to land....the turbulence got worse and worse, that plane kept really moving up and down.  Felt my stomach come up a few times and I grabbed the bag just in case, thankfully didn't have to use it.  Looked out the window, could barely see past the wing, the clouds were so thick.  Kept wondering how the pilot could see anything.   Finally landed after what seemed like forever, I can't remember how many times we had to circle but it was too damn many.

I hate those little planes, especially the ones with the propellers that you can see.  

Puddle jumper from Greensboro, NC to National in DC. 

Rainy, cold, wet.  Not a terrible storm but the clouds were incredibly thick and low.  There was a little bit of turbulence which didn't bother me a bit, it was those short, hard little bounces....but then there were a few where you could feel the plane really just drop quite a few feet.

I hate those little planes, especially the ones with the propellers that you can see.  

Those are horrifying.  The primitive part of the brain just doesn't know how to cope with that sensation of "drop."  There's a reason the falling nightmare is still always wakes us up and is so powerful.

Nothing terrifying, but I hate flying.

Was on one if the little propellor planes from west Kentucky to Philly. For some reason the steward thinks he's doing me a favor and seemingly goes out of his way to give me a front seat. I hate seeing the ****pit, minute I walk onto planes, I look down in case door open. It bothers me not understanding how something works.

Meanwhile,!i was practically flying this one. Practically on pilots lap before takeoff. Sweaty palms whole flight, which was smooth.

I just don't like flying.

Speaking of misadventures that don't rank high on the scary meter ... one time before 9/11 we were flying transatlantic and the in-seat video entertainment wasn't working for my kids. Because we didn't make a gigantic fuss, we were invited up to the ****pit to chat with the pilots and got to see Greenland and its glaciers from the front of a 747 at 35,000 feet. Pretty cool.

Or maybe it was because my kids were cute at the time.

DWl4G07.jpg

He mumbled something derogatory at me and I just said, you need to stay in your seat and not look back at us again and I'll ensure my daughter doesn't kick your seat.  Everyone was looking at this guy go postal.  Well, when we got off the flight and plane, I caught up to him in the terminal and asked him if he had a problem.  He mumbled something and I said you wanted to get all Billy bad ass while we were in the air when I couldn't do anything, so here I am right now.  Then I asked him if he was on his way to the elementary school down the road so he could scream/bully some 1st graders.  

How long is an Orlando to Charlotte flight? 1.5 hours?

Those are horrifying.  The primitive part of the brain just doesn't know how to cope with that sensation of "drop."  There's a reason the falling nightmare is still always wakes us up and is so powerful.

I volunteered to get bumped from a flight out of Pittsburgh once. For $300, I was going to get home an hour later. I thought that was a deal. But to get home, I had to fly to Cleveland first. That trip is barely over 100 miles. The plane was like something out of Casablanca, and we never got to a cruising altitude because you begin your descent into Cleveland airspace after about 15 minutes. It was like being on a wooden roller-coaster for 45 minutes or so.

Nothing overly dramatic.  Once coming in to land at Newark it was a little rough.  We touched down pretty hard and a few of the oxygen masks came out.  Fortunately we were on the ground at that point so there was no cause for concern.  Then I look out the window and there are the charred remains of a UPS plane that had obviously caught fire and been put out some time earlier.

Archived