Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Negative feedback concerning RG3 from other fans

Vanguard

No.  And as far as I know none of the comments that you were refering to stated "all black QB's can't read a defense".  Again, I think you are confusing statements made by a racist person with actual racist statements. 

But we can just agree to disagree.  I don't want to drive this thread to far off topic.  I'm sure there is a race based thread we could have this discussion in.

Sorry It's not that black and white. 

oh wait. 

I think all black QB's are unfairly judged as somehow incapable purely based on color, but that's the world we know. JMHO, FWIW. 

I don't have a problem with them not liking him.  They aren't Redskins fans.  My problem is when they make **** up about him that isn't true, or spin everything he does in a negative light.  

I tend to think that people that do this are afraid, and they are trying to get into his and the fans heads by hating.  

Pathetic

At my work, there's some [ mostly Cowboy fans ] who give me the 'he's gonna be a bust just watch' crapfest of a comment. Of course I can't help but laugh at them and point out that their illustrious QB has choked more than an amateur at a hot dog eating contest.

I'm curious to see what he will do this year. Hopefully he can try to stay out of the limelight and off every commercial and focus on football, and I think he'll be fine. But if he doesn't do so good, I can expect to hear alot more negativity towards him from a number of angles, and I hope it doesn't turn into a distraction for him.

We all rag on other teams and players, and have been the heel of jokes for awhile, so getting their act together will stop most of it, but there will always be some who will hate no matter what; lets see how he  handles it this year...

It's definitely over the top.

I think it comes from a few things- a general hate for Dan Snyder, a general hate for the redskins based on past splashy failed moves combined with many people believing the name is "racist- case closed". That, and many believing griffin is a diva who got a "good " coach fired.

In other words, ignorance .

That about sums it up.  

Griffin also kills people with kindness and that drives his critics crazy.

The comments I read are mostly legitimate points. The guy has played two seasons and has had one excellent season and one awful season, with an asterisk by the second season because of the injury. Now that he appears to be fully healthy and coming into his 3rd season, we should get a good gauge this year of what kind of QB Griffin is or isn't going to be for us in the future. While we're all obviously hoping he is going to turn out to be a sure fire franchise QB that is going to lead the Skins for the next 10-12 years, the truth of the matter is the verdict is still clearly out on him and he is coming into a crucial season for his career in 2014.

Clear winner of this thread. 

Well, bottom line, he was playiing while hurt.  Let's see if a totally healthy RG3 gets back to his winning ways.

This bothers me. If I am to believe that Griffin played hurt in '13 then it says to me that he didn't learn anything in that Seattle game when he stayed in and played hurt and if that's true then what does it mean for his future? On the other hand what does it say about the coaches allowing him to play hurt in '13 after they seen the results in the first part of the season? That means if true they were tanking on purpose and have no regard to this man's future. In other words in regards to that bolded part

inconceivable.jpg

I thought this was funny.  As soon as I finish reading the recent posts in this thread, I go to read this article about what Fletcher thinks RGIII needs to do as a leader this season:

Fletcher thinks Griffin can do it, in part because Fletcher believes Griffin isn’t a diva.

“He’s a hard worker, he’s extremely talented, he wants to be the best,” Fletcher said.  “I saw that guy rehab three times a day last year [when] we were both going through a rehab situation. . . .  He spent so much time in there, he wasn’t out doing all the commercials and all the things you saw. . . .  Perception in this case is not reality.”

And then the first comment after the article is:

RG3 is simply a bust … deal.

I mean... Really?  Lol.

It's videos like this more than anything that fans from other teams use to form their opinions about RGIII.  I really don't blame the fans in their ignorance, because you can't expect them to do in-depth research about what's really going on in D.C.  They are going to base their opinions on what the Heath Evans and Warren Sapps of the world think they know about the situation.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000344629/Will-RGIII-get-back-to-prime-form

Heath especially always talks about RGIII like he thinks our QB should be riding on the back of a short bus to and from games.

The "doesn't look like" comment is one I see all the time.

Even same jack balls on ES have used the lines of "Kirk Cousins just looks like a QB, Robert looks like a wide receiver"

That still doesn't make it racist.  A lot of those same blowhards said the exact same thing about Tim Tebow; he doesn't look like a QB.  And, if we take off the B&G homer glasses and are honest with ourselves, RGIII doesn't look like your typical QB.  His frame is more like a WR than your typical QB, even the way he moves in the pocket isn't typical of a QB.  Does it mean he can't play the position or excel there; hell no.  There are lots of athletes in different sports whose bodies don't look like or make up the prototypical body type of the position they play.  Pointing that out has absolutely NOTHING to do with race.  The closest it could be to anything is stereotyping, which is very different.

Remember, racism isn't always the product of a person making racist comments, using slurs, etc.  It is equally just as much the product of people who go looking to find racism where it never was to begin with.

And we give a flying **** what other fans say about our players WHY again?

Hail.

I prefer to be liked by other fans.  I don't want them to make disparaging remarks about our players.  I want high-performing, non-controversial players.  

This bothers me. If I am to believe that Griffin played hurt in '13 then it says to me that he didn't learn anything in that Seattle game when he stayed in and played hurt and if that's true then what does it mean for his future? On the other hand what does it say about the coaches allowing him to play hurt in '13 after they seen the results in the first part of the season? That means if true they were tanking on purpose and have no regard to this man's future. In other words in regards to that bolded part

inconceivable.jpg

Excuse me for saying he was "playing hurt."  What I meant was he wasn't 100%.

I prefer to be liked by other fans. 

You might want to find another team then. You can take your pick between cheering for a racist team, cheering for a team owned by Dan Snyder, cheering for a team QB'd by a "Douchey" one read serial pitchman, a team Desean Jaccson plays for, or a team that effed up player salary negotiations by driving up the asking price and signing tons of FA's only to fail miserably

I don't want them to make disparaging remarks about our players.  I want high-performing, non-controversial players.  

And I'm curious as to how you want "Non controversial" players, yet make no mention of controversial critics (who regurgitate basically nothing but the stuff mentioned in Shannyleaks) moron fans. Its all about the players, eh? No matter who says what around here, there will always be negativity. Negativity will always have a market around here, because there is a throng of weak minded people who will always eat it up when it sitting there hot off the press, from a hoard of DC journalists/bloggers/reporters with absolutely no axe to grind...

I would rather have an opinionated that isn't afraid to say whats on their mind 10/10 times over someone who just wants to be liked. Just wanting to be liked is a losers mentality, and it often ends with people looking at you as a joke. ****ty people will always be ****ty people no matter what kind of personality someone has. Thats something we all have to live with, either when it pretains to our everyday lives, or people we root for

It's videos like this more than anything that fans from other teams use to form their opinions about RGIII.  I really don't blame the fans in their ignorance, because you can't expect them to do in-depth research about what's really going on in D.C.  They are going to base their opinions on what the Heath Evans and Warren Sapps of the world think they know about the situation.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000344629/Will-RGIII-get-back-to-prime-form

Heath especially always talks about RGIII like he thinks our QB should be riding on the back of a short bus to and from games.

Yeah I noticed that as well. He really does talk about RG3 as though he has an IQ of 60, and it is annoying as hell. 

That still doesn't make it racist.  A lot of those same blowhards said the exact same thing about Tim Tebow; he doesn't look like a QB.  And, if we take off the B&G homer glasses and are honest with ourselves, RGIII doesn't look like your typical QB.  His frame is more like a WR than your typical QB, even the way he moves in the pocket isn't typical of a QB.  Does it mean he can't play the position or excel there; hell no.  There are lots of athletes in different sports whose bodies don't look like or make up the prototypical body type of the position they play.  Pointing that out has absolutely NOTHING to do with race.  The closest it could be to anything is stereotyping, which is very different.

Remember, racism isn't always the product of a person making racist comments, using slurs, etc.  It is equally just as much the product of people who go looking to find racism where it never was to begin with.

So why don't Aaron Rodgers, Tony Romo, and Andy Dalton get criticized as not "looking like a QB"? All three of those guys are the same height and weight as RGIII.

Yeah I noticed that as well. He really does talk about RG3 as though he has an IQ of 60, and it is annoying as hell. 

Heath Evans (perhaps not as an overall human being but as a commentator) is a piece of ****.

I mean... Really?  Lol.

What is interesting to me is that he's getting the Ryan Leaf treatment even though he hasn't shown himself to be anything like that.  Even Cam has a past which made people look at him with suspicious eyes, but Griffin has none of that history in college, no connections to scandals, etc.  So what is it about him that gets him hate.  Even Brady got hate more recently because of the Spygate stuff, being a winner and having an attitude on the field some don't like.  But a young, optimistic guy who has already been to the playoffs, why the dislike?  And why spend so much time on the dislike?

I think there is, like it or not, a racial component to some of it. YOu can even tell in the comments some Indy Colts fans were making before either even played a down, and after RG3 led his team to a division title and deservedly received RotY honors.  Even on this board you see some posters who make statements that make you scratch your head.

Expanding a bit further on my post, I have to say comments that you read on the internet about RG3 remind you why you truly despise people.  I don't mind at all someone not agreeing with me on this point or that, but it's how they conduct themselves.  Is this pro wrestling where you have to talk about something by basically frothing at the mouth and exclaiming emotional/moral judgment adjectives re: a player or team?  Jesus, it's not that the analysis is unsophisticated, it's that people are extraordinarily stupid and state their case in unnecessarily hostile ways.  They also, generally, operate from received wisdom rather than ever investigate or question their own assumptions as part of a larger intellectual or moral framework.

In short, it's tiring (and I deal with this a lot in academia, as well) to deal with people who seem to literally be speaking another language and do not understand the idea of stepping out from their partisanship (yes, I have a Griffin sig but that's because I don't run and hide on my stances) and at least attempting to understand another point of view or maybe even believe they could be wrong.

Sorry don't buy it. Everyone knows the QB is judged by his wins and losses. His stats are meaningless when he lost 10 games and only won 3. If he continues to do that he not only won't ever shed his negative public perception but also will be quickly out of this league.

If that's the case, Dan Marino wasn't half the QB that Eli Manning is....even Trent Dilfer was a better QB than several HoFs.

Archived