Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Negative feedback concerning RG3 from other fans

Vanguard

Why does this matter? Isn't it expected for other fan bases to speak negatively of another team that's competing for the same championship?

As Redskins fans, we mock Romo and Eli whenever we get a chance, poke fun of our divisional rivals and have already garnered negative feeling towards other teams (Seahawks) and their players. It's the name of the game at the highest level of football. Welcome to the NFL, not everyone is going to like our team and players.

Even if we win a Super Bowl, we will still get haters, so be it. As long as a fan base we back our own team and players (until they blow it on or off the field).

Griffin is our guy and this year he will make other fans feel stupid for doubting. Hail!

It's called trolling. If RG3 would've played 15 years ago, then he wouldn't have many haters like he does. No one really would. People sit behind their computers bashing words because there aren't any consequences for them. He's not the only one getting negative feedback. Everyone here tends to hang on every word. Well not everyone, but you get the idea.

The comments weren't too bad for the most part. Most of the ones that were were cowboy or eagle fans. It is what it is. As for the rest, they're probably simply tired of reading/hearing about him all the time. It really doesn't have much to do with the player himself. The media just builds certain ones up only to tear them down and profits both ways.

I have a feeling that if he played for another team, most of you would be sick of hearing about him too. :)

Not that it matters to me, because if you're into sports hype that much, then you deserve to get tired of it.

I don't think those comments are true but I can't even remotely see how they are thinly veiled racist comments? Please explain.

Because every time I read an article about a black QB, this is all I see in the comments section.

Yet when Andrew Luck threw those 23 INTs in 2012 his football intelligence was never questioned nor was he scolded for not being able to read defenses.

I think this topic has been adequately covered.  There are other threads for this.

I disagree politely. I was thinking of starting this very thread. I didn't really see one it could go into. 

It is amazing to me how many of non-Skins fans, some even those I considered knowledgeable within the NFCE considering or think RGIII is done, he will never play the same and is basically a victim of injury. I mean without knowing anything solid about him, I have heard this from four different fans, and the consensus is that his career is over. 

This is from a Seattle, a Boys, a Giant and an Eagles fan. I also heard it from a few casual fans. The first four though were what I considered fans with at least some football and sports IQ. Now I don't know whether to rack it up to fear, hate or just ignorance, but it was surely strong and they argued as if they had knowledge,,,,like I didn't know my own team and what was happening. 

This was brought up when we signed DeSean, and also Hatcher. We were discussing the Skins in general before it veered to the topic of RGIII. 

Because every time I read an article about a black QB, this is all I see in the comments section.

Yet when Andrew Luck threw those 23 INTs in 2012 his football intelligence was never questioned nor was he scolded for not being able to read defenses.

I'm just going to assume what you say is true here.  I honestly don't pay attention to the comment sections.  That still doesn't make the comments racist.  Perhaps you could say the person making the comment is racist because they only pick on a black QB.  But a racist comment would be something more like "He doesn't look like a QB.....because he's black." 

I think its more fear than anything, to think he has accomplished more with less and an aged wr in Moss. The only threat we have had that teams worried about is Garcon. 

I sometimes scrape the icing off but no use in it.. because its entirely too sweet to eat anyway. with or without the icing.

Disagree, all the fans I know are keenly aware of Alfred Morris. 

I'm just going to assume what you say is true here.  I honestly don't pay attention to the comment sections.  That still doesn't make the comments racist.  Perhaps you could say the person making the comment is racist because they only pick on a black QB.  But a racist comment would be something more like "He doesn't look like a QB.....because he's black." 

Wow I am going to disagree again...that's three in a row. I think it has racist undertones, it should be stated as "He doesn't look like a QB because all he does is the Read Option and runs." Now I have heard that argument, which is wrong. 

As long as it's not our own fanbase bashing him, I don't care. Successful people will always have haters.

This is my problem. Some of the biggest trolls are in our own fanbase. You accept it from simple minded Eagles, Giants, and Cowboys fans but people claiming that their life long fans of this team express more hate toward this guy than anyone else.

Wow I am going to disagree again...that's three in a row. I think it has racist undertones, it should be stated as "He doesn't look like a QB because all he does is the Read Option and runs." Now I have heard that argument, which is wrong. 

Well here is a simple test to tell if the comment is racist or if the person saying it is a racist:

Imagine President Obama saying it. 

Now does Obama sound racist or a poor judge of QB's?  There isn't the slightest bit of racist undertones in that sentence.  Perhaps you are just picking up on the person saying it as being a racist.

There seems to be a double standard at play here. The media has treated Griffin to the rock star treatment since he joined the league. He is everywhere, in commercials, special ESPN shows, on social media, in nascar, has a new logo and on and on.As someone already mentioned they built him up.

Now the double standard comes from not recognizing it for what it is. If he were on another team and had gone through the past two seasons would Redskins fans think this attention was deserved? The old saying what has he done comes to mind for me when pondering that. I dont see racism here I see 31 other teams fans being shoved a player down their throats and them taking pot shots at him just as I suppose if he was on another team we all could be doing too. Its just the price someone is gonna pay if they are the media darling as well. Its just our turn.

The argument "people are gonna hate on awesome players" doesn't apply here.  Search "Calvin Johnson" on PFT and read all the comments on his articles.  Not a drop of hate to be found.

The NFL is like pro wrestling in that there are villains and heroes.  The media has decided to turn RG3 into a frail diva-- which in turn has made him look weak to the common uninformed fan.  

In this particular case, it's not about 'fear' it's about an actual lack of respect.

I think you are confusing racism with stereotyping.

An extremely athletic, super fast, 6'2" 218 lb.black man that wears Superman socks does not normally play the QB position.

All the haters will be shaking in there boots and wishing they had a V8 when he shows he can though.

I think this year's offense will have a shock and awe factor never seen before.......as long as the OL holds up that is.

I tend to agree with you. Most of the time these type comments are directed at black QBs. No matter how many interceptions Luck throws people will never say he can't read defenses.

I personally don't understand the extreme hate directed at RGIII. It's ridiculous. RGME,RGKNEE,RG3and13 etc. But these stupid nicknames aren't the issue. It's the people who claim he's a terrible QB.

Anyone with an ounce of football knowledge would know this isn't true. The claims that he's inaccurate, can't read defenses, etc. Doesn't make sense to me. His rookie season proved he's accurate.

I've never in my life seen vehement hatred directed at any QB like it is towards RGIII. I'm gonna go with fear. They are afraid he's going to be crushing their teams for years to come.

I'm a little surprised at how much negative feedback Robert Griffin is getting from people outside of Redskins nation.  You'd think this guy has done something wrong.  Just read some of the comments at the bottom of this article.  What do you make of all this negativity?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/17/chris-cooley-santana-moss-rave-about-a-healthy-rg3/

To be honest, there's a lot of truth in what I read. Hard to argue with them. What we've seen so far is 1 fantastic rookie season & a less then satisfactory sophomore season. We don't know how the Oline is going to look just yet & we don't know how Gruden is going to coach, so....

There were a couple of comments where people were saying that no player is worth what we gave up for RG3. I totally disagree with that. RG3 was a shot in the arm for this franchise & the fanbase. We needed him here & what we gave up, IMHO, was worth it.

That said, anytime a team can get a player that can rejuvinate the passion in their fanbase like he did...?! Yeah, I believe it's worth it, so long as it proves to work out. If every season turns out like last season & no good comes from drafting him, then overall, it was a bad move. But honestly we won't truly know that until it's hindsight.

As of right now, we have faith as a fanbase that all these moves will pay off & that RG3 will be back to his rookie condition & play like a mad man, ready to set the world of football on fire. This man, with the aid of 1 rb, took this franchise to our 1st NFCE Title in over a decade. I believe he's capable of great things. And I believe that if his talent is used properly & he stays healthy, he could be hoisting a Lombardi in the future.

The negativity? It's going to be there no matter what. We do the same thing with players on other teams. Some of us are realists & see a talented player no matter what. Others see a player & only see the emblem on his helmet & decide to hate him despite his talent & everything that is said about him is hateful. I can't deny that I've done the same thing. But that's all that is. People see the Redskins emblem & automatically, they hate anything & everything about us. That's fine. In many cases, it's mutual. So, hate away. Hate us even more when we beat you. HTTR!

Well here is a simple test to tell if the comment is racist or if the person saying it is a racist:

Imagine President Obama saying it. 

Now does Obama sound racist or a poor judge of QB's?  There isn't the slightest bit of racist undertones in that sentence.  Perhaps you are just picking up on the person saying it as being a racist.

Did Obama say it about all black QB's coincidentally? 

Did Obama say it about all black QB's coincidentally? 

No.  And as far as I know none of the comments that you were refering to stated "all black QB's can't read a defense".  Again, I think you are confusing statements made by a racist person with actual racist statements. 

But we can just agree to disagree.  I don't want to drive this thread to far off topic.  I'm sure there is a race based thread we could have this discussion in.

The comments I read are mostly legitimate points. The guy has played two seasons and has had one excellent season and one awful season, with an asterisk by the second season because of the injury. Now that he appears to be fully healthy and coming into his 3rd season, we should get a good gauge this year of what kind of QB Griffin is or isn't going to be for us in the future. While we're all obviously hoping he is going to turn out to be a sure fire franchise QB that is going to lead the Skins for the next 10-12 years, the truth of the matter is the verdict is still clearly out on him and he is coming into a crucial season for his career in 2014.

Just to point out, Griffin didn't have an "awful season" in 2013; statistically speaking, he had a mediocre one. The TEAM had an awful season.

The "doesn't look like" comment is one I see all the time.

Even same jack balls on ES have used the lines of "Kirk Cousins just looks like a QB, Robert looks like a wide receiver"

Archived