Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Kirk Cousins Open to Being Traded

Smurf85

Another report came out today of him reiterating that he would like a chance to start somewhere. 

Hard to blame him for that - I'd be more worried if he came out and said he'd be happy being a backup the rest of his career. That said we get it and there is no need to keep repeating it.

If RGIII said this stuff redskins fans would be ready to tar and feather him but because the golden boy "Kirk Cousins" says it it's "Good for you Kirk speak your mind". Other teams hold double standards for their best players but not us Redskin fans we're so much of a joke now a days that we hold Double Standards for our backup players and trash our stars sighhhhhh 

If RGIII said this stuff redskins fans would be ready to tar and feather him but because the golden boy "Kirk Cousins" says it it's "Good for you Kirk speak your mind". Other teams hold double standards for their best players but not us Redskin fans we're so much of a joke now a days that we hold Double Standards for our backup players and trash our stars sighhhhhh 

I think you might be overreacting slightly here.

What is so terrible about a backup QB who has had a taste of starting who is behind a guy in RGIII who is the confirmed starter saying ideally he would like a chance to start somewhere? Now if he keeps on talking about it and starts demanding a trade I might start to move towards your position - right now I think you are looking for a problem that does not exist.

Thought this would be as good as any place to put this. Had a dream last night. It was draft day ... I was tuned in per usual even though the Redskins didn't have a pick. The 4th pick comes up ... they announce a trade ... the Browns have traded out of the 4th pick ... That logo on the bottom pops up that it is Washington that has acquired the pick. A huge murmur erupts from the crowd and the ESPN guys are debating how we could have moved up so high. I'm thinking "HOLY CRAP WE GOT THE BROWNS TO GIVE UP THE 4TH PICK FOR COUSINS!?" ... then I start thinking ... okay maybe we traded Cousins + 34 + 66 ... and am starting to wonder whether it was a good idea to trade those two picks to move up for one guy.

Then it breaks ... the Redskins have traded Robert Griffin III and pick #34 to the Browns for the 4th. Everyone is stunned.

My phone starts blowing up. I freak out. I think I actually broke down and cried in my dream. I swore off the Redskins ... 3 or 4 of my good buddies all called and agreed we were done ... weren't following this team anymore ... were just going to give up.

Then I woke up. How pathetic is that?!

I'm on the RGIII as our starter train and have been since October of 2011 (no typo), but come on, man.  It has been well known that the most popular guy on the Washington Redskins is the back-up quarterback.

Why can't we not bash RGIII, and wait for this one because it'll below your mind, not bash Cousins . . . at the same time?

What a whiny post.

Would you rather the media bother Cousins or Griffin this offseason?

Which one would you rather be handling the distraction that the media creates?

Everyone constantly finding a reason to **** is annoying. Oh IF this and IF that... Bunch of hens around here.

Cluck cluck cluck.

~Bang

I'd be pissed if RG3 said he didn't want to play for us.  But I mean I guess the media can ask these questions and write about things later too.  So an expression of wanting to be traded out of the blue is different than someone writing a story about it. 

If KC is saying stuff without prompt then stfu.  But at least one of these times it was a response.  At this point though its out there he should move on from that question and point.  Focus on talking personal and teammates improvement.

Doesn't bother me that Kirk wants to start.  It's February and things are quiet.  The team isn't even together right now, so who cares.  I mean, if you were a vice president of a company, but thought you had the skills to be the president, but that president was going nowhere, wouldn't you want to look elsewhere?  You guys disect each quote like a bunch of stalkers.  It's just weird.  Stop trying to make something out of nothing.  You guys are acting just like ESPN.

I wish he would just shut the #### up about this. I'm cool trading him for whatever we can get just to get rid of the distraction.

I don't care what another NFL team might trade for you one day, Kirk, you've done NOTHING to deserve a starting job and nothing to deserve this publicity. Other than playing behind a controversial QB in a controversial city under a coach who couldn't control the locker room or the media.

Gruden needs to shut this down now. Kirk's response to any future interview questions leading him towards talking about a trade or being a starting QB some day needs to be "I don't have any individual aspirations beyond helping this team win in whatever way I can. Any other talk is for the future. Right now I am under contract with the Washington Redskins and I've got to go shine Robert's helmet".

Give me a break.  Grow up.  You do know it was ONE interview published 1000 times right?  Geez. 

Give me a break. Grow up. You do know it was ONE interview published 1000 times right? Geez.

people here get so pissy over nothing. they sound like the luck fans who would bag on griffin for every little thing before the 2012 draft, except its cousins who they are trying to dig up dirt to pile on him. kc has done nothing wrong, but I guess bagging on him makes them feel better about their insecurities about griffin.

I feel bad for Kirk. I like him, the INTs not so much. Its almost like Rex had his ear too much. 

I wish we would trade him and just take the risk that we can survive without him should we need a backup to lead our team.

We are listening to offers at the worst time. QB deep draft, fresh off 3 straight losses. But the fact we are shopping says all you need to know. Eventually, its wise to admit his current market value is what it is, and move on from Mike's vision of a Flynn overpayment blaze of glory. 

Its a pipe dream to happen anytime soon barring major QB injuries around the league. Cousins has had his chance to be traded for a bit of premium and Mike missed the opportunity. He was not a good GM IMHO. 

To aid in the long offseason, let's bump the he can fetch 2 1st's topics for a laugh, instead of this topic every time the story gets recycled. 

people here get so pissy over nothing. they sound like the luck fans who would bag on griffin for every little thing before the 2012 draft, except its cousins who they are trying to dig up dirt to pile on him. kc has done nothing wrong, but I guess bagging on him makes them feel better about their insecurities about griffin.

The one thing he did say that annoyed me was when he said that Robert would have a say in picking the next coach. That and the "Cult of Kirk" last year with people actually questioning who the starter was. And no, I do not have any insecurities about Robert, if I have any misplaced judgements about him it is about how good a QB he can become and certainly not about his perceived failings.

The more I think about it (although I remain convinced that a 2nd is neither unreasonable or delusional.) Perhaps the best way to shop him would be for a 2014 3rd rounder and a CONDITIONAL 2015 pick. If he starts 8+ games this year, we'd also get a 2015 3rd rounder. If he throws for over 2,500 yards, we get a 2015 2nd round pick instead. That would allow us to get a better market value if he turns out to be a decent starting QB with less risk involved for the trade partner.

Give me a break. Grow up. You do know it was ONE interview published 1000 times right? Geez.

You realize this was NOT one interview, right? He keeps putting it out there. He also passive-aggressively made a statement during our coaching search implying that Robert would be a major voice in the process. It's unnecessary, and to think that a guy as smart and good with the media as Kirk is doesnt know what he's doing stretches the bounds of believability. It's purposeful, and it's unprofessional. Deal with the hand you were dealt, and get in line with what's in the best interests of your team. Maybe someday that will be someone else, but for now, that's the Washington Redskins. And for now, you're the clip-board holder, no matter how good you think you are. That's what Kirk needs to understand.

You realize this was NOT one interview, right? He keeps putting it out there. He also passive-aggressively made a statement during our coaching search implying that Robert would be a major voice in the process. It's unnecessary, and to think that a guy as smart and good with the media as Kirk is doesnt know what he's doing stretches the bounds of believability. It's purposeful, and it's unprofessional. Deal with the hand you were dealt, and get in line with what's in the best interests of your team. Maybe someday that will be someone else, but for now, that's the Washington Redskins. And for now, you're the clip-board holder, no matter how good you think you are. That's what Kirk needs to understand.

Why should every other player be able to market themselves to better themselves and make more money, but it's not ok for Kirk?  Like it or not, how you market yourself and get after it determines your livelihood.  

He was asked about being open to being traded, he said he was.  He also said that if it didn't happen, he is part of the Redskins and dedicated to doing what he can to help them win.  I see no problem with that at all.  What you are failing to realize is that the window of opportunity is extremely small for these guys.  Kirk was a really good QB at Mich. State and he wants the chance to compete for a starting job as QB in the NFL.  Name me one QB on an NFL roster that doesn't want that opportunity?

You can't compare the NFL to "everyday real jobs", his dream was to be an NFL QB, with that, a team will draft him.  A team, that he has no choice/say over can own his rights as an NFL player if they choose to draft him.  Him not being top round talent and falling, what choice did he have?  It's not like he could pull an Elway or Eli Manning and refuse to play ball and sit out a year.  

He also knows his role in DC, he knows that RGIII is the starter, PERIOD.  And that he is his back-up.  And to degrade him to what was it? Washing RGIII's helmet (or something stupid like that).  Yeah, let me ask you this, how ****ing happy were you during the Baltimore game that he was more than a helmet washer?  How bout that Cleveland game against a top 10 defense and another win?  

You can go through my posts, I have said that I didn't think he did so great at the end of last season.  I thought he had one and a half good games.  But, the fact of the matter is this, he thinks he is starting material, so him trying to better his career, no man or woman should fault him for that.  

All it takes is for 1 of 31 other teams to believe in him like he does himself.  It doesn't matter if I think he is worth a 4th round or 3rd round pick and career back-up, what matters is his belief in his abilities and what other teams believe.  

One rule to live by:  Never come down hard and try to fault a man for trying to better himself and his financial situation.  

Why should every other player be able to market themselves to better themselves and make more money, but it's not ok for Kirk?  Like it or not, how you market yourself and get after it determines your livelihood.  

He was asked about being open to being traded, he said he was.  He also said that if it didn't happen, he is part of the Redskins and dedicated to doing what he can to help them win.  I see no problem with that at all.  What you are failing to realize is that the window of opportunity is extremely small for these guys.  Kirk was a really good QB at Mich. State and he wants the chance to compete for a starting job as QB in the NFL.  Name me one QB on an NFL roster that doesn't want that opportunity?

You can't compare the NFL to "everyday real jobs", his dream was to be an NFL QB, with that, a team will draft him.  A team, that he has no choice/say over can own his rights as an NFL player if they choose to draft him.  Him not being top round talent and falling, what choice did he have?  It's not like he could pull an Elway or Eli Manning and refuse to play ball and sit out a year.  

He also knows his role in DC, he knows that RGIII is the starter, PERIOD.  And that he is his back-up.  And to degrade him to what was it? Washing RGIII's helmet (or something stupid like that).  Yeah, let me ask you this, how ****ing happy were you during the Baltimore game that he was more than a helmet washer?  How bout that Cleveland game against a top 10 defense and another win?  

You can go through my posts, I have said that I didn't think he did so great at the end of last season.  I thought he had one and a half good games.  But, the fact of the matter is this, he thinks he is starting material, so him trying to better his career, no man or woman should fault him for that.  

All it takes is for 1 of 31 other teams to believe in him like he does himself.  It doesn't matter if I think he is worth a 4th round or 3rd round pick and career back-up, what matters is his belief in his abilities and what other teams believe.  

One rule to live by:  Never come down hard and try to fault a man for trying to better himself and his financial situation.  

Missed his point by miles

Let me ask you a question:

How many back-up QB's right now in the NFL want to be starters? How many want to "improve their financial situation"? Most of them, right? Especially the good ones?

And how many of them are openly campaigning for a starting job or a trade?

(And yes, answering leading questions from the media about whether you're open to a trade IS considered openly campaigning--Kirk's a smart guy and he's good with the media. He knows what he's doing and he knows what the "correct" answer is: "I'm under contract with the Washington Redskins and just doing everything I can to improve and help this team win every day. If the day ever comes where I'm a starter, I'll be ready.")

Exactly. None of them. Ryan Mallett has been the subject of trade rumors since he was drafted, and you've never heard a peep from him.

It's not unreasonable to want Kirk to shut up about it.

How many back-up QB's right now in the NFL want to be starters? How many want to "improve their financial situation"? Most of them, right? Especially the good ones?

(And yes, answering leading questions from the media about whether you're open to a trade IS considered openly campaigning--Kirk's a smart guy and he's good with the media. He knows what he's doing and he knows what the "correct" answer is: "I'm under contract with the Washington Redskins and just doing everything I can to improve and help this team win every day. If the day ever comes where I'm a starter, I'll be ready.")

Exactly. None of them. Ryan Mallett has been the subject of trade rumors since he was drafted, and you've never heard a peep from him.

So, cause he wants to start and knows he wont in DC, he should shut up and be RGIII's "Ryan Mallett"?  Did you really just compare one of the greatest QBs of all-time to RGIII?  RGIII is no Tom Brady, nor is either teams situation the same.  Mallett has been playing behind one of the all-time greats and first ballot HOF'ers.  Cousins is playing behind RGIII..........surely you can see even see the silly comparison.

Who cares if he verbally says he wants out of DC and a chance to start?  It's not like Snyder gives a ****, hell, its documented and confirmed by other players that when he won the Cleveland game in 2012, thus continuing our playoff push, he never said one word to Kirk and went straight to coddling RGIII.  

Why should Kirk want to stay here?

So, cause he wants to start and knows he wont in DC, he should shut up and be RGIII's "Ryan Mallett"? Did you really just compare one of the greatest QBs of all-time to RGIII? RGIII is no Tom Brady, nor is either teams situation the same. Mallett has been playing behind one of the all-time greats and first ballot HOF'ers. Cousins is playing behind RGIII..........surely you can see even see the silly comparison.

Who cares if he verbally says he wants out of DC and a chance to start? It's not like Snyder gives a ****, hell, its documented and confirmed by other players that when he won the Cleveland game in 2012, thus continuing our playoff push, he never said one word to Kirk and went straight to coddling RGIII.

Why should Kirk want to stay here?

Yeah, you don't get it. It's not about justifying why Kirk is doing it or whether he has the right to feel the way he does---he does. They're his feelings, it's his dream. He has the right to those.

That has nothing to do with what's best for the Washington Redskins, or what this fan wants. It's my opinion. You can feel free to have your own, and more power to you if it's different from mine---but THIS fan wants Kirk Cousins to shut his yapper about playing elsewhere while he's still under contract with the Washington Redskins. Speaking out about it does nothing to increase his chances of being traded---the entire NFL knows how he feels. Every GM and HC, including our own. All it does is distract. And more importantly to me (the guy posting this opinion), is that it....annoys ME. Which is why I posted what I did. Feel free to disagree. Just don't fall under the illusion that you're making any points that can sway me, nor should you. I'm just one fan. But I have access to all the info that you do, and this is how I feel about it.

Mallett doesn't talk because BB doesn't allow his players to. He would be out the door.

Kirk isn't doing anything wrong. Some people just love to **** about anything.

I think the most comical part of this whole situation is that the article contains zero quotes from Kirk.  He did not call a presser or seek out the attention, as far as we know.  All the article says is that he would be interested in starting somewhere, well no ****.

Because it's DC and because some of the RGIII defenders, who I am one by the way, are over sensitive  this has turned in to some side show coup.

It's only a story because Gruden had to announce that Griffin was the unquestioned starter for the Skins and that there would be no competition for the starting QB position. That in turn would lead reporters to ask Cousins what he felt about that.

It probably was important for Kirk to signal that he wanted to compete, that he felt he could perform well enough to merit being a starting QB in the NFL, and that while he liked it in Washington, he would be open to the idea of being on another team where he'd get a chance to win a starter's job.

If he hadn't said that --- other teams would have immediately pigeon-holed him as a career backup.

I understand why he spoke up the first time, and why he gave a follow-up interview to clear up the matter. Frankly, with the follow up clarification I don't see what he said that hurts the team, or challenged the coaches (or the FO's) authority. In fact if the Skins did want to trade him, it is little more free publicity.

This is more or less a non-story, February fare for starved fans. The Griffin fans who feel the need to also be Cousins detractors, will try to read more into this, and even want to run down Cousins talents and trade value. But the market will eventually make that judgement

Whether or not Kirk is actually saying this or if it's just the DC media being the DC media is one thing, but I'm just glad there's no RG3 negativity going on right now. He's barely spoken or been quoted anywhere and the few times he has been, I didn't see it get blown out of proportion or turned around.

Archived