Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Kirk Cousins Open to Being Traded

Smurf85

Saw a report from Schefter on FB:

"Redskins have no plans nor interest in trading QB Kirk Cousins, per league sources. He's not going anywhere."

I would say you could put this to rest, but this close to the draft and FA, you never know. They could just be digging their feet in to drive the price up. Interesting nonetheless.

So basically the Skins put it out there that Cousins could be had for a 2nd.  The rest of the league laughed and now they're saying they don't want to trade him.  

So basically the Skins put it out there that Cousins could be had for a 2nd.  The rest of the league laughed and now they're saying they don't want to trade him.  

This is exactly more or less what Bleacher Report posted today including the laughing part, but I don't always trust their sources.  And I know some are hanging on to the Peter Kings, etc who insisted 2nd or higher -- but there is plenty of smoke in the other direction saying a 2nd is a pipe dream.

There is no way we are trading Cousins.  Trust me… its all BS news media hype.  RG is not guaranteed to return to form and I know Gruden isn’t that stupid to let Cousins go when RG had a horrible season last year.  Cousins will be a good QB and probably will get his chance this year or the next but until then it looks like the skins don’t trust their #1 pick and are taking precautions.  I know I would. 

This is exactly more or less what Bleacher Report posted today including the laughing part, but I don't always trust their sources.  And I know some are hanging on to the Peter Kings, etc who insisted 2nd or higher -- but there is plenty of smoke in the other direction saying a 2nd is a pipe dream.

That is not what happened.  The skins had no intention of trading him.  Its all hype.  

There is no way we are trading Cousins.  Trust me… its all BS news media hype.  RG is not guaranteed to return to form and I know Gruden isn’t that stupid to let Cousins go when RG had a horrible season last year.  Cousins will be a good QB and probably will get his chance this year or the next but until then it looks like the skins don’t trust their #1 pick and are taking precautions.  I know I would. 

That is not what happened.  The skins had no intention of trading him.  Its all hype.  

And we should "trust you" because...?

And RG3 didn't have a "horrible" season last year...not sure why this keeps being said. He had a poor season compared to his rookie campaign but overall his numbers were pretty much middle of the pack in the NFL. 

RG3 in his off year in terms of performance had a much better season statistically in every major measure than Cousins did.  And that was true even before Cousins' debacle of a game against the Giants where if I recall he set a team record or close to it in terms of number of incompletions in one game.    So if RG3 had a "horrible" year, I wonder how we'd define Cousin's performance -- nightmarish?   

How do you gather that they don't trust their #1 pick just because the team came out and said they are not trading Cousins (even though at this time of the year, you have to take everything you hear with a grain of salt)?

RG3 in his off year in terms of performance had a much better season statistically in every major measure than Cousins did.  And that was true even before Cousins' debacle of a game against the Giants where if I recall he set a team record or close to it in terms of number of incompletions in one game.    So if RG3 had a "horrible" year, I wonder how we'd define Cousin's performance -- nightmarish?   

Not fair to Cousins.  I am sure Shanny did very little game planning the last few games knowing he was out the door in a couple weeks.

And we should "trust you" because...?

And RG3 didn't have a "horrible" season last year...not sure why this keeps being said. He had a poor season compared to his rookie campaign but overall his numbers were pretty much middle of the pack in the NFL. 

LOL.  RG did not have a good year.  We got creamed in almost every game we lost.  His stats were all junk time with some games he didn’t even pass for 50 yards a half.  I’ll give him some time with his injury but if he stinks it up this year, I’m all for Cousins starting.  I see more upside with him anyways with his ability to read the field.  RG has a lot of work to do.

How do you gather that they don't trust their #1 pick just because the team came out and said they are not trading Cousins (even though at this time of the year, you have to take everything you hear with a grain of salt)?

Because they know no one will give them a second rounder for a QB because all the good QB’s will go in the first round and they can train the QB the way they want.  Plus they know its VERY cheap to pay a rookie QB compared to a 3rd year player.  They would have to pay cousins 3x that amount plus…  So yes, its all hype and they know it.  

Its getting media attention because the skins don’t trust RG and his return.  He got worse as the season went on last year, not better and thats not a good sign.  If RG was REALLY their guy and they believed 100% in him do you HONESTLY believe we’d be having this conversation????????????  Would the cowboys do this to Romo sits to pee?  How about giants with Manning?  No, because those teams know they are their guys.. There is no question. 

Plus, its disingenuous to Cousins whom I think can be a good QB in this league.  He’s stuck in the clown show when all he wants to do is get a chance to start somewhere else.  

LOL.  RG did not have a good year.  We got creamed in almost every game we lost.  His stats were all junk time with some games he didn’t even pass for 50 yards a half. read the field.

That seems to be a common view. Unfortunately it does not stand up to much scrutiny - RGIII passed for almost as many yards in the first half of games as the second half. I posted the stats in a different thread.

I would certainly agree RGIII has work to do and I would not claim he played well overall last season but it's also not true to say he played badly or had a "bad" year. He was inconsistent. It took Eli Manning 4 or 5 seasons to have stats that were as good as the ones RGIII put up last season.

If the redskins dont trade Kirk Cousins in a year where the draft is the deepest its been in years they'd be making the same mistake Shanahan did. In Shanahan's first year we had holes EVERYWHERE. Instead of aquiring draft picks we trade them away for McNabb! 

Here again we find ourselves with a new coach,  holes all over the team, and limited draft picks. We actually have a franchise QB unlike we did with Shanny so the decision is easy. Trade the backup and fill the holes!

If the redskins dont trade Kirk Cousins in a year where the draft is the deepest its been in years they'd be making the same mistake Shanahan did. In Shanahan's first year we had holes EVERYWHERE. Instead of aquiring draft picks we trade them away for McNabb! 

Here again we find ourselves with a new coach,  holes all over the team, and limited draft picks. We actually have a franchise QB unlike we did with Shanny so the decision is easy. Trade the backup and fill the holes!

I agree.  We've seen our own players devalued for trades by holding on to them too long.  JC for a 5th rounder 2 drafts later which is the equivalent of a 7th during the same draft, Patrick Ramsey for a 6th rounder, we probably could have gotten more for AH if we traded him earlier, etc.

Heck Cousins I think it was an easier sell for a 2nd rounder the previous season where he had the big game against the Browns.  This year he was first bad in relief, then had one good game against Atlanta though still showing his propensity for INTs, then played poorly against Dallas, and was horrific against the Giants.  His resume IMO weakened.  And IMO I doubt Shanny wasn't into making Cousins or the team look good at that point -- I'd think if anything it would be the reverse.  Shanny clearly decided to scapegoat the season on RG3 -- so Cousins coming in and shining would have proved the point for him.  Cousins flopping IMO was the final death knell for Shanny as a coach here and possibly the rest of the NFL. 

It also amazes me when people pounce on RG3 while ignoring the fact that he is coming off of a major injury and had no off season. Both Jaws and RG3's predraft QB coach, Terry Shea said that RG3's footwork was perfect when he was a rookie but not this year -- both attributed it to the injury.  Shea said he can see that he isn't planting fully on his leg and its effecting his accuracy.  Joe Theismann said at the beginning of last season not to expect RG3 to be the same until January 2014 -- because he said the biggest influence on accuracy is the plant leg -- and when you have surgery on the plant leg it doesn't feel back to normal until a year later.

RG3 single handily made the franchise nationally relevant the season before -- IMO he has earned a break from Redskins fans.  I get piling on him if he does poorly next season but this past season?

LOL.  RG did not have a good year.  We got creamed in almost every game we lost.  His stats were all junk time with some games he didn’t even pass for 50 yards a half.  I’ll give him some time with his injury but if he stinks it up this year, I’m all for Cousins starting.  I see more upside with him anyways with his ability to read the field.  RG has a lot of work to do.

Besides your made up statistics which have been debunked, why would you want Cousins to start? 

Because they know no one will give them a second rounder for a QB because all the good QB’s will go in the first round and they can train the QB the way they want.  Plus they know its VERY cheap to pay a rookie QB compared to a 3rd year player.  They would have to pay cousins 3x that amount plus…  So yes, its all hype and they know it.  

Its getting media attention because the skins don’t trust RG and his return.  He got worse as the season went on last year, not better and thats not a good sign.  If RG was REALLY their guy and they believed 100% in him do you HONESTLY believe we’d be having this conversation????????????  Would the cowboys do this to Romo sits to pee?  How about giants with Manning?  No, because those teams know they are their guys.. There is no question. 

Plus, its disingenuous to Cousins whom I think can be a good QB in this league.  He’s stuck in the clown show when all he wants to do is get a chance to start somewhere else.  

If a team goes after a QB early in round one, they are likely looking at RG3 type numbers for a contract. RG3 signed a 4yr/$21mil contract as the #2 overall pick. KC as a 4th rounder signed a 4yr/$2.5mil contract (and still has 2 yrs on that contract). So what logic are you using to predict that KC will command 3x more money than a rookie who will likely be drafted in round 1 or 2?

And in case you care to know, KC's salary for 2014 is a mere $688k and $778k for 2015. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/yearly/

If a team goes after a QB early in round one, they are likely looking at RG3 type numbers for a contract. RG3 signed a 4yr/$21mil contract as the #2 overall pick. KC as a 4th rounder signed a 4yr/$2.5mil contract (and still has 2 yrs on that contract). So what logic are you using to predict that KC will command 3x more money than a rookie who will likely be drafted in round 1 or 2?

If we do trade Kirk we'd trade his current contract with him. I'm pretty sure that contract can not be extended or increased until the end of next season at the earliest. Whether he plays here or somewhere else he we will be cheap next season.

If we do trade Kirk we'd trade his current contract with him. I'm pretty sure that contract can not be extended or increased until the end of next season at the earliest. Whether he plays here or somewhere else he we will be cheap next season.

Yeah, that's the point I was trying to get across. :)

Archived