Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Kirk Cousins Open to Being Traded

Smurf85

If a team goes after a QB early in round one, they are likely looking at RG3 type numbers for a contract. RG3 signed a 4yr/$21mil contract as the #2 overall pick. KC as a 4th rounder signed a 4yr/$2.5mil contract (and still has 2 yrs on that contract). So what logic are you using to predict that KC will command 3x more money than a rookie who will likely be drafted in round 1 or 2?

And in case you care to know, KC's salary for 2014 is a mere $688k and $778k for 2015. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/yearly/

You proved my point and yet you don’t even know it.  

Unfortunately, there will always be delusional fans.

Yes there will be… 

The rules of 2010 and rookies changed everything.  Rookies are cheap and really don’t make BIG bucks until after year 3(except a few guaranteed contracts).  Teams are saving millions because of this change and its the same reason why cousins won’t get traded.  

If you are in the top 10 of the draft, you get paid decent.  11 on out… are deals and where MOST QB’s fall.  If RG does not have a good year in 2014, there is a good chance the skins will let him go in 2015.  If I can get a good rookie, pay him cheap and train him the way I want him.. I’d go that route.  

Cousin trade is all rumor, hype or bs… RG3 and his injuries will really need to prove he can play at a high level again, become a pocket passer or get cut in 2015.  If he plays for 2 coaches and he doesn’t pan out with both of them, he’s done in DC and the only ones who made out were the skins because they sold jerseys...

This will give you an idea of what I mean…  Rookies are cheap and if Cousins becomes a starter and does well, they will have to pay him way better than 98% of all rookie qb’s because of the 3 year rule.  As someone else stated.. Cousins is cheap FOR NOW.  

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/2012/0426/NFL-draft-Why-Andrew-Luck-s-rookie-salary-has-shrunk-video

NFL draft: Why Andrew Luck's rookie salary has shrunk (+video)  

NFL draft 2012 top picks Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III won't be making the huge money of some of their top pick predecessors, like Sam Bradford and Matthew Stafford. New rules limiting rookie salaries ensure NFL draft 2012 picks have to prove their worth on the field before making the big bucks.

You proved my point and yet you don’t even know it.  

I guess I just don't get what logic you are using. Most of the teams looking for a QB will pick in the top 10. Picking a QB in that range will warrant an RG3/Luck type of contract, which is MUCH more than what Cousins is making for the remainder of his contract. So please explain to me how signing Cousins will be 3x more expensive than signing a rookie?? 

Another interesting angle/aspect of this whole thing ... if you're Minnesota or Oakland and you miss out on the Top 3 QBs this year ... do you reach on Derek Carr ... or do you take your 2nd and trade it for Cousins. Couple things. 1) You don't spend a Top 5/10 pick reaching for a QB with a lot of developmental concerns. There is going to be talent there ... Oakland could get Sammy Watkins or Jake Mathews. Minnesota could get Barr. If you're one of those teams, would you trade your 2nd for Cousins HOPING he is the answer ... but knowing that if he ISN'T and he bombs out, you will likely have a Top 5 pick in 2015 when Marcus Mariotta, Jameis Winston, Brett Hundley and Bryce Petty will be coming out? Now I know a lot can change but next year's QB class is going to be very highly rated ... if you are Oakland I would absolutely draft Sammy Watkins at #5 and trade #36 for Cousins. If Cousins turns into a strong starter, they're set at QB and WR1. If it happens that Cousins fails to live up to expectations, the Raiders can look to the 2015 draft and hope to get a Top 3 QB then. I find that to be a better option than "draft Carr" or "draft McCarron (2nd round)" ... you are going to have to develop any QB you draft this year, but at least Cousins will give you most of what you expect from a readiness standpoint. You'll have a good idea by the end of 2014 if he's the future. WIth any other pick (Carr, McCarron, etc.) you might not know what you have until 2015 or 2016.

I feel the delusions are just as evident from those stating he is not 2nd round grade. The fact that he's a competent backup makes him a lock 3rd. Add to the mix his intangibles (not his skewed stats) and yes, a 2nd is definitely feasible

Sorry haters, IT IS FEASIBLE. Further, would you be that shocked if a team moved for him on day 2 of the draft.

Really, delusional. We shall see

If we get a 2nd or 3rd for him it would be a miracle.  He won't be worth really anything unless there is a front office out there that is just horrendous.  If we get a Kolb type deal, we have to pull the trigger.

I think Kirk is okay, I have no idea how people are so smitten with him when he hasn't done anything to prove it.  His performances this year were absolutely bad, and last season they were just alright.  Media hyped him up to create an artificial controversy so fans could peck at it, and it worked.

We would be smart to use that to our advantage right now.  We would have been smarter to use it a long time ago when he had more value.

I feel the delusions are just as evident from those stating he is not 2nd round grade. The fact that he's a competent backup makes him a lock 3rd. Add to the mix his intangibles (not his skewed stats) and yes, a 2nd is definitely feasible

Sorry haters, IT IS FEASIBLE. Further, would you be that shocked if a team moved for him on day 2 of the draft.

I agree completely. The fact is QB's fetch a higher asking price in trades. Period. Its not crazy, delusional or stupid. It is what it is .

I hate that we trade our draft picks back and back.  Sure we get more draft picks, but the rounds they are in, usually 5th, 6th, and 7th.  I'd like to keep our picks right where they are.  We need to pick better players.

On topic: If someone wants Cousins, then trade him.

If there is one guy you are really targeting and can trade back, fine.

Mike was widely praised for his trade backs which I did't necessarily like at the time. In part, because draft picks need time to be graded. Fans were quick to anoint more than one pick, the steal of the draft

Mike went for quantity over quality. And he went for guys that had injuries at the same time. Out of football, academic, drugs, overweight, you name it, Mike wanted it. I didn't like that at the time. 

Agreed on Cousins, but for nothing less than we paid. Pump him up in preseason if possible, see if injuries strike around the league, and start making the best of Mike's questionable drafting. 

If there is one guy you are really targeting and can trade back, fine.

Mike was widely praised for his trade backs which I did't necessarily like at the time. In part, because draft picks need time to be graded. Fans were quick to anoint more than one pick, the steal of the draft

Case in point at the time when Shanny was heralded the most was trading back for Kerrigan.  Now are we so happy that we got Kerrigan AND Jenkins -- versus arguably landing one of the best pass rushers in the league:  JJ Watt & Robert Quinn?  Not me.  This would be a totally different defense with Watt or Quinn. 

Ugh, man, I agree with you, but someone disagreeing doesn't make that person a "hater."  That's such a ridiculous and overused term.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2014/02/24/redskins-arent-shopping-kirk-cousins-but-would-listen-to-offers/

Redskins aren’t shopping Kirk Cousins, but would listen to offers

The Washington Redskins are not aggressively pursuing a trade of backup quarterback Kirk Cousins but remain receptive to the possibility of such a deal if they receive what they regard as a suitable offer by another team, according to multiple people familiar with the team’s planning.

“It’s not a case of looking to trade him,” one of those people said. “That’s not the situation. But it’s not a case of there being absolutely no interest in a trade under any circumstances, either. It would all depend on what someone might offer.”

I wish he would just shut the #### up about this. I'm cool trading him for whatever we can get just to get rid of the distraction.

I don't care what another NFL team might trade for you one day, Kirk, you've done NOTHING to deserve a starting job and nothing to deserve this publicity. Other than playing behind a controversial QB in a controversial city under a coach who couldn't control the locker room or the media.

Gruden needs to shut this down now. Kirk's response to any future interview questions leading him towards talking about a trade or being a starting QB some day needs to be "I don't have any individual aspirations beyond helping this team win in whatever way I can. Any other talk is for the future. Right now I am under contract with the Washington Redskins and I've got to go shine Robert's helmet".

I don't normally flame people or call them stupid, but compare the situations and use your common sense.

Call me stupid. Don't really care.

I honestly have no problem with any of their comments but I'm sick of the double standards. Seems to be a new headline about it every week but no one is saying anything.

Looks like I'm not alone either. 

Archived