Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Kirk Cousins Open to Being Traded

Smurf85

Would Rex playing #2 next year be out of the question for everyone? :unsure:

~Bang

Yes, out of the question, but mostly because it's Kyle Shanahan's offense that he's well-versed in. No point in starting over with him in Gruden's offense at his age.

A couple things that have been mentioned over the past couple months...

The Redskins setting a price for Cousins (in this case, a 2nd round pick) isn't the same as the Redskins expecting anyone to pay it. All it means is that they feel he's more valuable as their backup QB for the next two years than any pick lower than a 2nd.

Along this vein, the 'Skins could just be setting the market. Our FO might be willing to take a 3rd and 5th (or some such), but they want the bargaining to start higher. If the team doesn't release this info, another team could come in offering a 4th - which would likely make it much tougher to talk them up to that 3rd and 5th.

He's played in ONE game with terrible playing conditions. The ONLY way we get a second is if some QB-needy team doesn't get a QB in the draft and gets desperate.

Out of his four starts, he only had one bad game.  It was much more than just the pouring rain.  It was the fact that the entire team was flat and everyone knew the coaching staff was hours away from walking the Green Mile. 

The fact is, if it wasn't for Cousins, we probably wouldn't have made the playoffs last year because we probably would've lost the Ravens game and possibly the Browns game also.

Best chance would be Oakland.

And that would be pretty stupid, IMO.

I might be in the total minority, but I think they're OK at QB... meaning Cousins isn't really much of a step up at this point over McGloin or Pryor.. all are raw. I've seen some flashes out of McGloin.

~Bang

So ... NFL GM's surveyed in December said 2nd rounder. John Clayton says the feeling is a 2nd rounder. Charlie Casserly said at least a 2nd rounder. Now NFL Live "experts" say 2nd rounder.

Umm. I think we know what pick we'll be getting if we choose to move Cousins.

Likely a 3rd and a low round pick. The Skins apparently have set the price at a 2nd, which means they value him a bit lower, because you always start with as high a price as you think is somewhat reasonable without being laughable when negotiating. 

Likely a 3rd and a low round pick. The Skins apparently have set the price at a 2nd, which means they value him a bit lower, because you always start with as high a price as you think is somewhat reasonable without being laughable when negotiating. 

Thats good point about the negotiating position. If we have started the conversations at a 2nd round pick the only way the conversation is going to go is down from that point.

Personally I would keep him if the best we can get is a 3rd round pick - it would be tight call and I'd be tempted but to me the value of a good, young and CHEAP backup outweighs the undoubted value of  3rd round pick in what is talked of as a very good and deep draft. If the price dropped any lower than a 3rd round pick I would not even entertain the thought.

He's played in ONE game with terrible playing conditions. The ONLY way we get a second is if some QB-needy team doesn't get a QB in the draft and gets desperate.

Actually, every game he played in in 2013 could be considered playing in terrible or adverse conditions.  Dysfunction, line, morale, coaching... pretty damn toxic stew.

So ... NFL GM's surveyed in December said 2nd rounder. John Clayton says the feeling is a 2nd rounder. Charlie Casserly said at least a 2nd rounder. Now NFL Live "experts" say 2nd rounder.

Umm. I think we know what pick we'll be getting if we choose to move Cousins.

I could see 2nd rounder before Cousins devalued himself with his mediocre play in late Dec.  Usually teams can fleece others in these trades when the QB looks like a stud or very good in their short stint and you expect there is more to come -- I think its a tougher drill when the QB statistically at least was mediocre to bad and you hope that it wasn't a true representation of his future play.   

For me, If I were lets say Cleveland I wouldn't be interested in him for a 2nd rounder -- bad completion rate, TD-INT ratio, bad QBR, etc.  Heck Hoyer looked decent in his short stint.  And what makes Cousins better than Campbell?  He might end up better than both players but there is no clear indication of it.  I think Cousins will end up as a high end backup but I wonder about him as a starter.   I'd trade him for a 3rd.  Otherwise am afraid if he plays more games next season and it goes down like this season, he can devalue himself into the Patrick Ramsey range where we got a 6th rounder.  There was one of those NFL insiders on a 980 show not that long ago who thought right now Cousins is valued by some as a 4th rounder.    Cousins stats for the season were mediocre even before the debacle game against the Giants.

I'm not missing anything. I've stated all along that he isnt 'worth' a 2nd. And despite what these so-called "experts" say, I seriously doubt we ever get a 2nd.

Why do you believe that you know more than the GMs who were polled late in the season or other NFL analysts (John Clayton, etc.)? I'm not attacking, just curious what you believe qualifies you to definitvely disagree with something that is becoming the common perception in league circles?

Or do you mean to say that you don't believe he should be worth a second, but you acknowledge that people who spend a lot more time doing this seem to all agree that is his value? I've definitely felt that way about players before...when my untrained eye couldn't understand why experts graded them so high (still realizing my limitations).

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/5622/experts-take-kirk-cousins-value

There’s a lot of talk about trading quarterback Kirk Cousins. What do you think the Redskins could get in a deal for him? 

Cousins
Matt Williamson: I’m probably lower on him than those around the league. I tend to think the only teams interested in [a quarterback] are those picking at the beginning of a round. So I would not give up an early second for him. That’s too much, and I don’t know if Washington would take an early third. Maybe a third and a fifth or something along those lines. I’d have a hard time getting rid of a top 40 -- or a top 50 pick even. He’s another one who will hit his head on the ceiling soon. He has average tools. He’s probably a low-end starter that can have maybe an Alex Smith-like career. The more I watch him, he’s still who I think he is. He has an OK arm and he’s not afraid to pull the trigger, which is good. He sees the field pretty well, but he can’t make every throw consistently. He competes hard and he’s an above average athlete. But you don’t look at him and say, ‘He’s only going to get better, and he’ll be a starter for the next 10 years.' He may start a lot of games over the next 10 years, but I don’t think anyone’s thrilled by that. 

Louis Riddick: Could I see him getting a mid-round pick -- capped probably at a third-round pick? Yeah, I could see that happening. Obviously it’s a greater likelihood that it would happen in a place where people are familiar with him or had a high grade on him out of college. When you think of it that way, you immediately think about Cleveland and what Kyle Shanahan’s influence will be impacting the position being that [GM] Ray Farmer and [head coach] Mike Pettine are trying to establish themselves. They may have other ideas [about] what to do at quarterback. At a place like that, where he has that familiarity, I could see him going as high as a third. But not much more than that. There’s a lot of hope he would raise his value, and I don’t think that happened. I don’t know if there are enough connections out there that someone would be willing to extend for him to get him and make one of those offers that has us all going, ‘Whoa, where did that come from?’ 

I would take a 3rd and 5th from Cleveland. Picks picks picks. We should still get a potential starter with an early 3rd and a 5th rounder is just extra trade ammo to move up or grab depth on a team that will need it!

A 3rd could net Cyril Richardson and a 5th could net Chris Davis. Use the 2nd on someone like Jarvis Landry or Odell Beckham and the other 3rd on an ILB like Skov, Telvin Smith, Christian Jones or Smallwood.

If I told you today the draft went:

2: Jarvis Landry, WR LSU

3: Cyril Richardson, OG Baylor

3: Christian Jones, ILB FSU

4: Telvin Smith, ILB FSU

5: Chris Davis, CB Auburn

5: DeAnthony Thomas, WR Oregon

You wouldn't tell me you would be amped? Basically swapping Kirk for Christian Jones and DeAnthony Thomas ... two guys that could contribute right away.

I would like to see a Kevin Kolbs deal if he is traded.  That will not happen.  Its great to have a backup like Captain Kirk.  I would not trade Kirk unless its for a proven starting player that fills a need.  I like the idea of a second round pick (everyone knows we need picks) but will Kirks 2nd round pick be a stud pick like McNabb/Alfred Morris?  I would hold off trading.  Lets see how RGIII does this year.  3rd year he settles in like Cam.  HTTR

Saw a report from Schefter on FB:

"Redskins have no plans nor interest in trading QB Kirk Cousins, per league sources. He's not going anywhere."

I would say you could put this to rest, but this close to the draft and FA, you never know. They could just be digging their feet in to drive the price up. Interesting nonetheless.

Archived