Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LaCanfora: Fred Davis 6 Game Suspension

Rocket442Olds

Lurking, but I dont understand whats totally wrong with this,

I dont smoke, but why punish people that enjoy something that doesnt harm anybody else?

If it were a matter of high people laying on their couches all day eating Cheetos, that would be one thing. But like alcohol, I cannot show up to work drunk. Don't be nieve to think that people aren't driving, operating equipment or trying to do their jobs high as a kite. Me getting drunk on my couch isn't hurting anyone either, unless I grab my truck keys.

Whether it should or shouldn't be legal, whether it hurts or doesn't hurt anyone, it's a banned substance in the NFL and can get you a suspension.  When you take a job, sometimes there are things you're not allowed to do even if they might be legal for everyone else.  If the NFL owners and NFLPA want to un-ban it, that's their call. 

"Was that wrong? Should I not have done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing, because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing is frowned upon... you know, cause I've worked in a lot of offices, and I tell you, people do that all the time."

Whether it should or shouldn't be legal, whether it hurts or doesn't hurt anyone, it's a banned substance in the NFL and can get you a suspension.  When you take a job, sometimes there are things you're not allowed to do even if they might be legal for everyone else.  If the NFL owners and NFLPA want to un-ban it, that's their call. 

I am not sure why more people don't seem to understand this. If I take a job and sign a contract that says I can never drink Coke while working for them, once i sign the contract I can be disciplined for drinking Coke!  It's really that simple. Pot being detrimental to health or legal or not, has no bearing here. It's a totally different conversation.

I for one am a big Fred Davis fan. It does infuriate me that he keeps finding trouble all on his own and never seems to learn from it.

Personally I don't think 420 is as bad as PED's like the Seattle secondary takes and gets a pass on, but what do I know.

Wish you well dude and hope you finally do figure it out and make a name for yourself somewhere. Wish it was here but that seems highly unlikely now.

Carroll weighs in on medicinal pot

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10360723/pete-carroll-seattle-seahawks-coach-says-nfl-consider-medicinal-marijuana-treat-injured-players

JERSEY CITY, N.J. -- Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll agrees with the notion that the NFL should look into medicinal marijuana as a means of taking the best possible care of its players.

While not explicitly coming out in favor of it, Carroll answered a question about NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's recent comments on the topic by making it clear he thinks it's an avenue worth pursuing.

"I would say that we have to explore and find ways to make our game a better game and take care of our players in whatever way possible," Carroll said at a news conference Monday following his team's first practice of Super Bowl week. "Regardless of what other stigmas might be involved, we have to do this because the world of medicine is doing this."

Honestly, the NFL is already way too lenient on the policy.  I mean how many chances do these players need to get clean?  Sure, if they have a problem and inform their employer and go to rehab before testing positive, then they deserve multiple chances.  

For PEDs, I understand it more as sometimes they could be taking banned substances that are not listed as the ingredients in all the supplements they take, granted, they should do better research.  Also, it enhances performance and their job is 100% based on performance, so I see the desire/temptation to cheat and hope you don't get busted.  

But for all other illegal drugs (weed, cocaine, etc.), they fail a drug test, they should be fired. period, end of story.  It's not a regular job, its a privilege and they make millions of dollars to play the game of football.  I've never worked anywhere that didn't fire employees for failed drug tests.  If your everyday American can be held to drug testing standards and be forced to comply or be without employment, they should too, they make millions of dollars which should be enough incentive to stay clean.  

For the record, I don't smoke/do drugs, never have, however, I am not against others that smoke weed.  It really doesn't bother me, I'm just so sick of professional athletes getting so many chances over **** like this, when other people would give anything to be in their position making the money they do and the only trade off is to stay clean.  

Edit - I understand there are unions involved and as any employer, they have the right to set their drug testing policies/punishments.  So, at minimum, first violation should be suspension for one year, regardless of when the violation occurred, meaning if they get busted week 17, then its one calendar year from that date (taking it through the first 16 games of the next season).  They should also be made to participate in rehab for at least 4-6 months during the suspension.  Then, next failed test, out of the league for good.  

They can sit on the sofa and hit the bong as much as they want when they are retired, just stay clean during your career, its that simple.

Why exactly should they be fired over weed? 

(Slavery, then segregation was the law not to long ago, that was wrong so I don't accept that "it's illegal" is a good reason. Laws have been shown to be wrong in the past and I don't know of any evidence to suggest the prohibition on marijuana is justified.  If you know of some reason or moral imperative please do inform me since the founding fathers and I obviously missed it.)

But for all other illegal drugs (weed, cocaine, etc.), they fail a drug test, they should be fired. period, end of story.

So, you're saying they should keep their jobs, but be incarcerated? After all, you're right it's not a civil offense, but a criminal one. Otoh, since they agree in their contracts not to do this... Maybe it is a firing offense.

Most jobs, though, don't continually drug test their employees. If they did, you'd be surprised how many regular, everyday people would fail. Also, plenty of higher ups fail a drug test and get options other than firing, even some employees as well. Multiple times is another story, but also, most of these players it's either PEDs or weed. PEDs if it repeated is one thing, and it is a job-related drug, but weed is being legalized across the country and eventually it is going to be fully legalized as more are realizing it's less harmful than alcohol. IMO the NFL doing this stuff over weed is the same as if they did it over alcohol, it is ridiculous. 

Now, that being said, it's stupid of a player who could face suspensions, again, to keep doing it.

So, you're saying they should keep their jobs, but be incarcerated? After all, you're right it's not a civil offense, but a criminal one. Otoh, since they agree in their contracts not to do this... Maybe it is a firing offense.

Plenty of states now it is not a criminal offense that warrants incarceration. Some it is fully legal, others it is a fine unless you have a whole lot of it.

(Slavery, then segregation was the law not to long ago, that was wrong so I don't accept that "it's illegal" is a good reason. Laws have been shown to be wrong in the past and I don't know of any evidence to suggest the prohibition on marijuana is justified.  If you know of some reason or moral imperative please do inform me since the founding fathers and I obviously missed it.)

Because they signed a contract stating they would not smoke pot. They violated that contract so one of the consequences is the potential for losing the right to play football in the NFL. The fact that's it's pot is incidental. I said this on the last page and I will say it again in another way:

When you sign a contract you are bound to follow that contract or face the consequences. If you sign a contract that states while employed there, you shall not eat french fries, once you sign that contract if you do indeed eat french fries and get caught then the employer has a right to discipline you.

It has nothing to do with your stance on pot. He signed a contract stating he would not smoke! He allegedly got caught and now he has to pay, if it's true. I have not seen it confirmed exactly what the infraction was. Also let's keep in mind, if he is actually busted for smoking, this will hardly be the first time. You would think his previous suspension would have been enough!

People want to call RGIII a self center diva - I believe Mr. Davis fits that definition much, much better!

The drug issue aside I just don't believe Mr. Davis has the work ethic required to be great. It's a shame because he has demonstrated that he has the talents. Here's hoping for a healthy Jordan Reed in 2014 and beyond. And I think we definitely look at drafting another pass catching tight end soon.

Most jobs, though, don't continually drug test their employees. If they did, you'd be surprised how many regular, everyday people would fail. Also, plenty of higher ups fail a drug test and get options other than firing, even some employees as well. Multiple times is another story, but also, most of these players it's either PEDs or weed. PEDs if it repeated is one thing, and it is a job-related drug, but weed is being legalized across the country and eventually it is going to be fully legalized as more are realizing it's less harmful than alcohol. IMO the NFL doing this stuff over weed is the same as if they did it over alcohol, it is ridiculous. 

Now, that being said, it's stupid of a player who could face suspensions, again, to keep doing it.

Plenty of states now it is not a criminal offense that warrants incarceration. Some it is fully legal, others it is a fine unless you have a whole lot of it.

Yeah, but Davis plays in Maryland and his team is based in Virginia.  So, that argument is moot.  He broke the law... I don't really think he should be arrested and prosecuted.  However, I do think it interesting that you have these positive drug tests that are never pursued by law enforsement.  Technically, they should be I would think.

actually smoking is not the law, neither is having it in your system.  the law is for possession

Carroll weighs in on medicinal pot

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10360723/pete-carroll-seattle-seahawks-coach-says-nfl-consider-medicinal-marijuana-treat-injured-players

JERSEY CITY, N.J. -- Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll agrees with the notion that the NFL should look into medicinal marijuana as a means of taking the best possible care of its players.

While not explicitly coming out in favor of it, Carroll answered a question about NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's recent comments on the topic by making it clear he thinks it's an avenue worth pursuing.

"I would say that we have to explore and find ways to make our game a better game and take care of our players in whatever way possible," Carroll said at a news conference Monday following his team's first practice of Super Bowl week. "Regardless of what other stigmas might be involved, we have to do this because the world of medicine is doing this."

Well, why wouldn't he be? He obviously doesn't have a problem with his players using PED's and when he was the HC at USC there wasn't anything he wouldn't do in order to win. He left that program right before the hammer came down for all the **** he was responsible for and it appears to me that he has taken that state of mind back into the NFL.

Just saw an interview with Sherman and he came off saying," I don't know why Crabtree pushed me, I was just trying to give him a solid. Telling him he was a good player." " I have no idea why he pushed me."

What a bull**** rap that is. Hey Sherman, maybe it has to do with your dirty play, your unending taunting. Something you actually made a point of running up to Michael Crabtree to do making the choking motion around your neck.

Sure, your just an innocent victim. No! Your a base, obtuse and willfully ignorant scumbag..and yes..you are a thug!!

Well, why wouldn't he be? He obviously doesn't have a problem with his players using PED's and when he was the HC at USC there wasn't anything he wouldn't do in order to win. He left that program right before the hammer came down for all the **** he was responsible for and it appears to me that he has taken that state of mind back into the NFL.

Just saw an interview with Sherman and he came off saying," I don't know why Crabtree pushed me, I was just trying to give him a solid. Telling him he was a good player." " I have no idea why he pushed me."

What a bull**** rap that is. Hey Sherman, maybe it has to do with your dirty play, your unending taunting. Something you actually made a point of running up to Michael Crabtree to do making the choking motion around your neck.

Sure, your just an innocent victim. No! Your a base, obtuse and willfully ignorant scumbag..and yes..you are a thug!!

Your frustrations with Carroll and Sherman are justified, but lets not lose track here. Marjiuana is not a perfomance enhancing drug; quite the opposite when you think about it.

Archived