Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 MLB Thread - Hot Stove Edition

MattFancy

Reg. the Mets, its not so much that I hate them, its that its just really annoying how we can rebuild, get to the playoffs, choke, and yet they can come from nowhere and in their first year make it all the way to the World Series. On the other hand all we get is heartbreak. That and they kept pulling games out of their ass against us head to head this year. I don't want Met fans celebrating, F that noise. Go Kansas City.

There's a ton of stuff I like about this team but there's a long way to go.

Obviously their surplus of pitchers keeps the overall pressure distributed through them where they can just go out and pitch without feeling monumental pressure like Kershaw or Arrieta, and they have some hitters peaking at the right time.

I know murphy is doing ridiculous stuff but even if he was doing half as well the rest of the lineup, at least as of last night thanks to Duda waking up, have all been contributing as well.  And, they've done it with the long ball, small ball, heady plays, etc.  Meaning, other than just scoring even more, they seem to have a balanced attack that should translate to the world series barring nervousness/meltdowns etc.

Terry Collins has been tremendous this year, he's had the pulse of the team figured out to an amazing level, benching guys early in the season without grumblings because it was merit based on hitting, the harvey stuff, working through the pitching rotations with 6 guys, spot starts, etc. It's been really cool to see for him.

Long way to go though, and I still think either of these AL teams are really tough to beat anyways.

How can Nat fans be salty about the Mets?

Ok sorry - there was never much of an Expos-Mets rivalry... I grew up rooting for the Mets (Jersey roots in my family). I would place the Yankees, Phillies, and Braves as bigger rivals from this side of the fence.

I did move out of DC area 2000... local baseball was and will always be the Orioles.

Expos Mets rivalry was pretty big back in the 1980's when the Expos started winning. Especially when the cheap owners traded Gary Carter to the Mets instead of paying him & then go win a World Series.

But as far as I know, Nats fans have no connection to the Expos so I don't think that rivalry comes into play. Just good old division rivalry and how the Mets passed the Nats at the end of the year to take the division, IMO.

Back to my Jays and their offseason (I think the can win 1 in KC, 2 will be tough); we all know Price will get paid by some team, but who is going to overpay for Estrada after the postseason he's had after a wicked second half of the regular season?

that guy is probably what will make murphy go cold now... well that and a mega million day break in between.  Scary stuff going on right now with UnWise Mike however... the karma involved is too much for me to calculate.  

From the mets perspective, both teams feel intimidating to me in the ALCS, but if the Jays somehow win tonight, I'd actually prefer the Royals winning game 7 since a Jays team coming off a 3 game win streak to take the ALCS could be a juggernaut far larger than anything the Mets have done. 

This is all too much... all I know is this has kept me out of the stadium for an extra month and that's probably the biggest gift of all even if the mets lose the WS. 

royals literally mean business the chances the mets win it all are slim and none... not saying they won't win a game or 2 but the royals are just built to beat the mets (and most teams for that matter) they are very resilient... they don't have the most power of all teams but have the type of lineup to drive out the mets SPs earlier than they would like, leading to many close games or games that are close but get opened up by a stretched mets bullpen, leading to games that the royals will have a stranglehold on, probably the worst type of WS loss of all. 

I think the royals will win in either 5 or 6 so 5.5 is a good over under if I were vegas.... The only chance the mets will have is if they average giving up 3 runs per game at most and murphy cespedes grandy wright and darnaud can stay moderately warm... not looking good to me

Thanks for the education guys - Nats are really an odd team for me, most of my formative sports experience came pre-2005 even the Nats existence to me is "odd".

Just being honest... I am also here in LA so I have had very little NL East daily tension.

It's like a Seattle fan asking how the Redskins and Giants hate each other so much.

All the Met "fans" coming out of the woodwork now...cute.

Personally, I love all the celebrity "fans" who have come out of nowhere. This organization was 17th or 18th in attendance at the end of July--in the neighborhood of small market/non-contenders like Baltimore, San Diego, and Cincinnati. That's ridiculous in the largest market in the world.

So the rotation is harvey, degrom, syndergaard, matz... I like it, and honestly, whether it's interchangeability is part of the equation or not, harvey is the guy on the mets and this is how it would be if TJ wasn't a factor.  Now, I am a big proponent of Harvey being apprehensive about pitching in his first year back from TJ, but I think no matter what he would only get 2 starts and then perhaps bullpen time for game 7 if necessary, I don't think he starts 3 times.  I think thor starting with a ton of bullpen help is fine even if I'd prefer degrom pitching a game 7.  But I can see why TC is doing it this way, he is hoping it doesn't go 7.  He's too old for that ****

---------------

It could be Harvey starts third game with short leash then thor is reliever, and then bullpen help too I guess... I won't be surprised no matter what happens.  Royals will ruin everything and win in 5 or 6 though 

Whoa.

http://www.thepostgame.com/heroes-villains/201510/former-mlb-star-i-used-private-investigators-blackmail-umps

Former MLB star Lenny Dykstra went on Colin Cowherd's show "The Herd" and made a startling admission Tuesday: As a professional baseball player, he hired private investigators to follow umpires in their private lives, gathering information to blackmail those umps for better calls at the plate.

Yes, there's quite a bit to unpack here. Not only is that a stunning revelation, but the casual nature with which Dykstra describes his behavior is perhaps even more shocking. When Cowherd expresses shock, Dykstra shrugs as if it shouldn't be news to him.

"It wasn't a coincidence, do you think, that I led the league in walks the next two years, was it?" Dykstra asks Cowherd. "Fear does a lot to a man."

Archived