Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 MLB Thread - Hot Stove Edition

MattFancy

lol well, I dunno... game went the mets way at least... they at least edit -- "have" decent pitching... I dunno... I was excited each inning what a game.

They are obviously going to lose 4-2 or 4-1 to the cubbies at best... I wish I could go back to the beginning of the season and put some money on the cubbies

This Mets Cubs matchup on paper looks awesome, but I really don't think it is going to bode well for the mets.  The mets all year have been great at rising to specific occasions and being a very cohesive team where you can tell they live in the moment and don't have emotional distance to things, bla bla bla. The problem is, the cubs are exactly like that too this year with Maddon and Epstein and all their new and/or young players.  Except they have much more raw talent than the mets do.  So, they are pretty much the same team except the cubs are better. lol 

The mets will essentially have to go 3-0 in all the non Lester Arrieta games and hope to go 1-3 in those.  I think the mets probably lose in 5, maybe 6.  All it will take for the mets to lose their mystique this series is for one of their starting pitchers to give up a ton of runs and then their whole "thing" will vanish and probably get steamrolled the rest of the way.

they bought a team at the deadline? The Tulo for Reyes trade actually saved the team money this year & they traded for Price who is a rental and made 2 other small trades that worked out huge for them (Ben Revere & Mark Lowe).

They added less than $10 million in payroll, hardly buying a team considering the other moves at the deadline.

Don't be angry just because the Blue Jays have the best GM in the game, who also got Donaldson this offseason & signed Russell Martin. He went after both Tulo & Donaldson for a long time, persistence pays off.

Jays beat Cubs in World Series 4-1.

The Blue Jays most certainly do not have the best GM in baseball. They were gifted Donaldson by Billy Beane in one of the most mind boggling trades in the last 20 years at least. I do give the Jays credit for going all in this year, but the GM was going to be fired they didn't make the playoffs. That doesn't equate best GM in baseball.

Cubs and Royals for me

For me too. Really anyone but the Jays.

The Blue Jays most certainly do not have the best GM in baseball. They were gifted Donaldson by Billy Beane in one of the most mind boggling trades in the last 20 years at least. I do give the Jays credit for going all in this year, but the GM was going to be fired they didn't make the playoffs. That doesn't equate best GM in baseball.

100% agree. They had better win it all now, because they mortgaged everything they had in the minors for this year.

If the Mets win it all, I am going to quit baseball. Both they and Toronto completely reconstructed their teams at the Trade Deadline.

Plus Mets fans are a step above Phillies fans in general obnoxiousness. I was at several games Mets-Nats games this year. Their fans were non-existent all year, and I mean ALL year. At the series in July, there were maybe 100 Mets fans there, that entire series. But come the series in September, 1000s of those fairweather ****roaches come crawling out of the woodwork--chest thumping and acting like they'd been loyal fans for ever. **** off--there were more Mets fans at that one game than there had been the previous decade combined. You only showed up after your team recreated itself July 31. Show up when they suck and I'll respect you, otherwise piss off.

Cubs fans, on the other hand, are always present when they come to Nats park, and they are good fans--they cheer for their team, but aren't assholes about it. They're there whether they win 97 or lose 97. I have great respect for them, they deserve this.

Finally, John Feinstein is a Mets fan. And, why would you support anything John Feinstein does?

Yeah I was surprised by that comment re: Anthropolous being the best GM. You think you would have to win something before you get that mantle. Or like, say 3 WS trophies in 5 years. Or hell, any WS trophies.  

So where does Price go after the season? SF? LA? 

Yeah I was surprised by that comment re: Anthropolous being the best GM. You think you would have to win something before you get that mantle. Or like, say 3 WS trophies in 5 years. Or hell, any WS trophies.  

Boston. Which means they won't sign Zimmermann--hopefully he'll go to someone outside teams in the top 10...

Edit, my bad. Boston is picking 14th. Still think they sign Price.

My order from most to least:

Cubs

Royals

Mets

Blue Jays

The one thing I don't want is the Jays getting to the WS. That would mean the O's would be the only team in our division not to appear in a WS since the 2000's began.

If the other three win it, won't hurt my feelings, but not the Jays. I can't say I'd be pissed if they won it, but I'd be a little sore about it.

Baltimore of course.

I'm kidding though I'd take him. I think one really interesting thing about the Dodgers losing, as well as the A's and Tigers last year, is that stacking a rotation full of veteran Ace caliber pitchers doesn't seem to be equating to Championships.

Baltimore of course.

I'm kidding though I'd take him. I think one really interesting thing about the Dodgers losing, as well as the A's and Tigers last year, is that stacking a rotation full of veteran Ace caliber pitchers doesn't seem to be equating to Championships.

The Braves in the 90s should have taught everyone that. They could never get it done, except that one year. But they were the favorites many of those years.

Baltimore of course.

I'm kidding though I'd take him. I think one really interesting thing about the Dodgers losing, as well as the A's and Tigers last year, is that stacking a rotation full of veteran Ace caliber pitchers doesn't seem to be equating to Championships.

Everyone trumps Kershaw and Greinke but forget their 3-4-5 starters were awful. The Mets overall rotation is much better.

Archived