Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 MLB Thread - Hot Stove Edition

MattFancy

Awful? Weren't all 5 starters sub 4 ERA this year.

To me, the Dodgers main problem is Management - Mattingly and his coaches are hilariously overmatched. Personally, I hope they never figure that out. 

**** the Dodgers. 

Ok, Anderson was mediocre. But they brought in a host of pitchers, all of whom weren't very good (i.e. Alex Wood, Mat Latos).

I wouldn't call them a bunch of aces though.

I think that other team out west proved that you can have an ace and some #3-4 guys going 4-6 innings as long as your have a killer bullpen, play good D, and make contact.

Hell, that's the Royals strategy this year and last and it's worked for them like a charm so far (I mean, outside of Game 7 last year ;)). 

- Chicago has been getting 20 ratings for the Cubs games

- New York last night got 18.4 rating for the Mets game

If New York and Chicago delivers those numbers- it's going to be pretty good for MLB. Last night's Game got a 5.8 for overnight ratings overall- tops since 2011. And the Cubs are just going to be more and more of the story here in the next few weeks.

Also baseball is having some impact on NFL. Last Monday night- the NFL game was down by 7%, while the MLB games were nearly double.

- Chicago has been getting 20 ratings for the Cubs games

- New York last night got 18.4 rating for the Mets game

If New York and Chicago delivers those numbers- it's going to be pretty good for MLB. Last night's Game got a 5.8 for overnight ratings overall- tops since 2011. And the Cubs are just going to be more and more of the story here in the next few weeks.

Also baseball is having some impact on NFL. Last Monday night- the NFL game was down by 7%, while the MLB games were nearly double.

Baseballs popularity is rising. I wasnt the only one to jump back in full tilt this year. As people begin to get more and more irritated by the NFL, and kids and young guys shuft to other sports, baseball and basket ba will reao the rewards

Baseballs popularity is rising. I wasnt the only one to jump back in full tilt this year. As people begin to get more and more irritated by the NFL, and kids and young guys shuft to other sports, baseball and basket ba will reao the rewards

Which then would mean draft fan kings duel commercials centered around mlb.

The Blue Jays most certainly do not have the best GM in baseball. They were gifted Donaldson by Billy Beane in one of the most mind boggling trades in the last 20 years at least. I do give the Jays credit for going all in this year, but the GM was going to be fired they didn't make the playoffs. That doesn't equate best GM in baseball.

For me too. Really anyone but the Jays.

They where gifted Donaldson?!?!? Don't make stuff up now. You can have your opinion on best GM-and so can I- but don't make up a story to back up your argument.

They traded their 3B Brett Lawrie, a young, under team control super athletic defender & better than average major leaguer. They also traded 2 starting pitchers due to be ready this year in Kendall Graveman who started for the A's this year & LHP Sean Nolin who is suppose to compete for a spot in the A's rotation next year, something he was scheduled for in Toronto as well.

Oh, and have you heard of this kid Franklin Barreto they "threw in" on this lopsided trade you think happened? He's 19 years old, the 18th ranked prospect on MLB.com, and the A's top prospect overall.

Anthopolous was on Beane about trading Donaldson for years, He asked Beane again and finally got a deal done. That's what I call being a good GM, and I call him the best for all the other moves he made and the ones he stayed away from like Paplebon to get his team into the post season. Jays where 50-51 when they made the Tulo trade. (And got rid of Jose Reyes contract in the process).

They where gifted Donaldson?!?!? Don't make stuff up now. You can have your opinion on best GM-and so can I- but don't make up a story to back up your argument.

They traded their 3B Brett Lawrie, a young, under team control super athletic defender & better than average major leaguer. They also traded 2 starting pitchers due to be ready this year in Kendall Graveman who started for the A's this year & LHP Sean Nolin who is suppose to compete for a spot in the A's rotation next year, something he was scheduled for in Toronto as well.

Oh, and have you heard of this kid Franklin Barreto they "threw in" on this lopsided trade you think happened? He's 19 years old, the 18th ranked prospect on MLB.com, and the A's top prospect overall.

Anthopolous was on Beane about trading Donaldson for years, He asked Beane again and finally got a deal done. That's what I call being a good GM, and I call him the best for all the other moves he made and the ones he stayed away from like Paplebon to get his team into the post season. Jays where 50-51 when they made the Tulo trade. (And got rid of Jose Reyes contract in the process).

A couple of successful trades dosent make you a great GM. Continued successful drafts, development, trades, etc. do.

Donaldson is a young, under control MVP caliber player who was top-10 in voting for MVP the last two years and should win it this year. He cost the Jays nothing this year and will cost them next year. Heck, the Tigers got more from the Jays when they traded Price.

Oh yeah, Beane didn't even make it a bidding war for Donaldson. That is insane. He could have extracted so much more for an MVP player with such a low salary.

Anthopolous did the mega-trade with the Marlins that lead to nothing but failure until the second half of this year. I give him credit for going for it this year, but he is a lot more like the guy in Boston that just got fired than a good GM. The results on the field speak for themselves.

A couple of successful trades dosent make you a great GM. Continued successful drafts, development, trades, etc. do.

Agreed. I think you said it in another post, but the list of best GMs starts with Sabean of San Fran.

Anthopolous did the mega-trade with the Marlins that lead to nothing but failure until the second half of this year. I give him credit for going for it this year, but he is a lot more like the guy in Boston that just got fired than a good GM. The results on the field speak for themselves.

Agreed. I think you said it in another post, but the list of best GMs starts with Sabean of San Fran.

Epstein also. I'd include Drayton Moore Neal Hunington as well. Even with down years by the Nats and O's, Mike Rizzo and Duquette have had more sustained success than Anthoplous. In fact, he has been on the job 6 years, this is 3rd winning season, and the 1st time he's assembled a team that won more than 85 games.

Arrieta will easily get this series split... Syndergaard is almost always due for at least 3 runs... I've said it a few times he's got great stuff but he's young and gets into trouble very easily.  This series will be split after tomorrow night and then the best of 5 series with the cubs having homefield advantage begins on tuesday - And, even if the mets lose I'm clearly rooting for the cubs to win it all anyway. 

Arrieta will easily get this series split... Syndergaard is almost always due for at least 3 runs... I've said it a few times he's got great stuff but he's young and gets into trouble very easily.  This series will be split after tomorrow night and then the best of 5 series with the cubs having homefield advantage begins on tuesday - And, even if the mets lose I'm clearly rooting for the cubs to win it all anyway. 

I don't think there's anything really easy in the playoffs.  This will be a good matchup for sure, though. 

good win but obviously there is a long way to go and nothing is a given so they still have massive wins ahead if they want to prove anything... and, these cubs can very easily get back in this series, the whole mets gameplan is built around the hope of good starting pitching to put the stress on the other team going into every game, all they need to do is crack degrom and then it's a series very easily all of the sudden... the only thing to take solace in is that the series will have to end in new york since they can't get swept 4 games in a row ending in chicago now 

Archived