Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 MLB Thread - Hot Stove Edition

MattFancy

They are certainly built to win those extra innings and close games but it's at the cost for day after games slightly - obviously - just pointing out the difference between BP and SP strengths and how it favors the mets how last night played out.  I know herrera can very easily pitch tomorrow and not give up runs he's only 25 years old, but the odds of it have decreased slightly by having pitched as long as he did, and, like familia, all of the sudden feeling hittable again.  Also, the mets really have no good DH options with Uribe still being questionable so it was just a matter of time before the royals were going to manufacture a run, or just hit one out in extras.  The mets front half of the lineup can't afford 1-2-3 innings the way the royals can in close games. Hopefully that changes slightly when the Mets are at home.  

The only thing I wish would have played out differently was keeping Niese out a tiny bit longer, but probably because he's one of their only lefties it must be a half priority to keep him fresher as opposed to just letting colon out there.  Oh, and keeping cuddyer away from the lineup.  He's the only guy on the team in the playoffs thus far to really look like he has the deer in the headlights going on at the plate.  No plate discipline whatsoever. And it sucks because he's a vet and is on the team next year. 

But, Degrom is in that position again where the season lies in his hands.  I agree if they go down 0-2 the series is over, and this is what I was afraid of and why the royals winning in 5.5 sounded about right to me.  Tonight is going to be so stressful I won't be able to handle it

My neighbor is a AA prospect in the Mets organization. He's been giving me some good stuff from the Mets side. We were talking Sunday night and I told them that if KC can stay even with the Mets starters, their bullpen was better then NY's. I told him the Royals are really resilient. That is what happened last night. They hung around as usual and pulled it out.

Personally, I love all the celebrity "fans" who have come out of nowhere. This organization was 17th or 18th in attendance at the end of July--in the neighborhood of small market/non-contenders like Baltimore, San Diego, and Cincinnati. That's ridiculous in the largest market in the world.

They have to compete with the Yankees.  Not that hard to believe at all.  The Yankees are the best team in MLB history and in the same market.  

They have to compete with the Yankees.  Not that hard to believe at all.  The Yankees are the best team in MLB history and in the same market.  

So? The Nats have to compete with the Orioles here--and we are still a newer team. They've been top-11 consistently the last 4 years. The New York Metro area consists of 19.8 million people. The Angels and Dodgers were both top 5 in attendance. There is no reason for the Mets to be that low in the rankings. They certainly were able to show up the last month of the year, weren't they?

So? The Nats have to compete with the Orioles here--and we are still a newer team. They've been top-11 consistently the last 4 years. The New York Metro area consists of 19.8 million people. The Angels and Dodgers were both top 5 in attendance. There is no reason for the Mets to be that low in the rankings. They certainly were able to show up the last month of the year, weren't they?

Mets were 12th in attendance and the Yankees were 4th.  The Yankees are the best team in the history of MLB.  The Mets aren't anywhere close to that.  Not surprising at all that they aren't as popular as the Yankees in their market.  

Can't really compare other markets with two teams either, because it's just that, other markets, different demographics.  Why are the Cubs #6 and the White Sox 26th?  Cubs are the more popular team in that market.  

Mets were an expansion team back in 1962.  Look at their overall body of work since then, big picture, not specific seasons.  They have been a bad team the majority of their existence.  The Yankees have been around since 1903.  They had some long dry spells (65-75) and (82-93) but look at what they have done since 1994, it's not even comparable.

Why are the Cubs #6 and the White Sox 26th?  Cubs are the more popular team in that market.  

Because people have a love affair with a ****ty Wrigley more than a ****ty Comiskey Park (US Cellular Field). 

I like to give all 4 Oakland A's fans grief..but I suspect if they have a nice shiny new park akin to the best one across the bay, then they might do a hell of a lot better in attendance too. 

But that doesn't answer the Mets lack of attendance. Maybe it's just apathy of their fans?

Because people have a love affair with a ****ty Wrigley more than a ****ty Comiskey Park (US Cellular Field). 

I like to give all 4 Oakland A's fans grief..but I suspect if they have a nice shiny new park akin to the best one across the bay, then they might do a hell of a lot better in attendance too. 

But that doesn't answer the Mets lack of attendance. Maybe it's just apathy of their fans?

Or maybe they just don't have as many fans as people think they do up there.  Again, NYC is the Yankees since 1903, they have the majority of fans hearts already.  

I don't think being 12th overall is horrible, considering their lack of success overall the previous 9 seasons, it's not that hard to believe attendance isn't top 10, regardless of how big the market is.  The product is the product. 

That's exactly my point. The New York Market has 10 million more people than the Chicago market. Now that they are winning these blowhards are coming out of the woodwork, thumping their chests. I loathe these obnoxious, fair weather fans.

Or maybe they just don't have as many fans as people think they do up there.  Again, NYC is the Yankees since 1903, they have the majority of fans hearts already.  

I don't think being 12th overall is horrible, considering their lack of success overall the previous 9 seasons, it's not that hard to believe attendance isn't top 10, regardless of how big the market is.  The product is the product. 

You're missing my point: they were bottom third of the league for most of this year, until they went on a tear.

Where were those Royals fans prior to say...2013?

78% of the TVs in KC were tuned into the Royals, 10th in overall attendance, for one of the smallest markets in baseball.

As for 2013, they only drew about 22K; compared to the big-market Mets who were about 25K that year.

Yes, I hate the ****ing Mets, and their asshat fans.

It's certainly impressive but everyone loves a winner.  I went to a game at Kaufman in 2010 and there couldn't have been more than 15K at the ballpark and they were practically giving away tickets. 

Here is the other thing about the Royals: They had one (1) winning season between 1994 and 2013.

Compare to the Mets--they had a good run between 2006 and 08 and were #3 in attendance in 06 & 08; by 2011, they were in the 20's.

You're missing my point: they were bottom third of the league for most of this year, until they went on a tear.

I did miss that point.  Regardless though, their lack of success in a market with the Yankees and being that low in attendance the majority of the year when they were playing average/below average baseball is not surprising to me at all.  

Nor should it surprise one that when a team doing bad/average heats up, attendance rises.  I don't live in NYC, not sure logistically how hard or a pain in the ass it might be to catch a ball game there.  But that might be something that comes into play along with cost.  If it's a pain in the ass, and costs a lot, a lot of fans probably don't want to be bothered by it.  

Winning cures everything.

Yea this is a redskins message board right? This whole baseball fandom thing is just as lame as questioning how much of a redskins fan someone is.  Question someone's baseball fandom on a baseball message board.

Yes, when the mets are awesome they've been up as high as #2 since they will never beat out the yankees, when they suck theyve gone as far down into the low 20s. Big deal.  The Nats were in the 20s until they had Strasburg - and - Harper - in the big leagues. Baseball attendance isn't a very difficult science to figure out. 

No wonder mets fans and the westboro baptists are the same, what a collection of pathetic individuals they, and I am, apparently.  This thread went from fun to a joke in like 2 days, and it has nothing to do with them losing last night.  Such disgust emitting from these baseball threads, of all things. 

Yea this is a redskins message board right? This whole baseball fandom thing is just as lame as questioning how much of a redskins fan someone is.  Question someone's baseball fandom on a baseball message board.

Yes, when the mets are awesome they've been up as high as #2 since they will never beat out the yankees, when they suck theyve gone as far down into the low 20s. Big deal.  The Nats were in the 20s until they had Strasburg - and - Harper - in the big leagues. Baseball attendance isn't a very difficult science to figure out. 

No wonder mets fans and the westboro baptists are the same, what a collection of pathetic individuals they, and I am, apparently.  This thread went from fun to a joke in like 2 days, and it has nothing to do with them losing last night.  Such disgust emitting from these baseball threads, of all things. 

Who said you are pathetic?

That's exactly my point. The New York Market has 10 million more people than the Chicago market. Now that they are winning these blowhards are coming out of the woodwork, thumping their chests. I loathe these obnoxious, fair weather fans.

Maybe people don't want to spend their money on a losing product.  Not fair to judge how someone wants to spend their money just because you choose to spend yours another way.

Doesn't mean they are obnoxious or fair weather fans because they choose to stay at home and watch games as opposed to spending a lot of money to go see their team live.  

So you equate fandom to attendance ?

Interesting. I don't care for a second who you root for as long as you know what the heck you are talking about...for any sport.

That username and  this premise that fans only care when that team is winning is bogus.

I know a few Mets fans, many Redskins fans, Bills, Eagles, Bucs, Cowboys, 49ers, you name it.

They have to go to the game to be a fan ? That is silly.

So you equate fandom to attendance ?

Interesting. I don't care for a second who you root for as long as you know what the heck you are talking about...for any sport.

That username and  this premise that fans only care when that team is winning is bogus.

I know a few Mets fans, many Redskins fans, Bills, Eagles, Bucs, Cowboys, 49ers, you name it.

They have to go to the game to be a fan ? That is silly.

I actually base my opion on several things, my personal experience with Mets fans at Nats park and their history of showing up in droves when they're winning, and disappearing just as quick when they struggle. Again, I have no respect for that.

I certainly understand winning drives attendance, across all sports. If you don't want to come to games until your team is winning, that's fine, again, I understand, but don't be an asshole when you do come out.

Again, that's my opinion, sorry if you disagree. Feel free though, to continue with personal shots. I would expect no less...

Cueto on point tonight.

I am green with envy at the Royals ability to put bat-to-ball...it's uncanny.

Archived