Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 MLB Thread - Hot Stove Edition

MattFancy

Yeah but blackmailing umps? Thats crazy.

Maybe some of our legal experts can weigh in on this one.  But by definition, blackmail is defined as demanding money from someone in return to not release damaging information on them.  And extortion is defined as the practice of obtaining something through force or threats.

I did read another article that provided more quotes from him that were not listed in the link above.  He was asked if he ever threatened the umps and he said no that he never had to.  And said (not directly quoted) he would ask the ump if he covered last night (in reference to a gambling problem).  The a strike would be called.  Then he would say, "You didn't hear me, did you cover the spread last night?" and basically, the ump knowing he knew he had a gambling problem, the strike zone would severely shrink.

Dirty and horrible thing to do.  But not sure if it can be considered a crime or not since he never made any threats.  He just used the info he obtained and asked them questions about things they were trying to hide.  Walking a tight rope, no doubt.

Not defending him either, doing that was a punk ass move and it just makes me further question the integrity of major sports, not just MLB.

well, as far as losses go, it's about as good of a loss you can possibly have given the makeup of both teams.

Royals are a bullpen team, and the mets are a SP team, so, it gives the mets a helping hand to win tomorrow and even up the series after going 14 tonight... I think after tomorrow the advantage dissipates obviously but at least for 1 game the mets have an advantage, and since they are on the road, splitting in the grand scheme of things is OK I guess... Losing after a tough 9th sucks but Familia was pitching a little bit over his true skill recently and it's not exactly surprising he gave up a run in the WS.  As far as losses go though, it's hard to argue that this loss isn't better in the war of attrition than a 9-2 blowout loss, or an 8-7 loss in the 9th, or whatever, given that the royals are a bullpen oriented team and had herrera go 30+ pitches and their 4th game starter in for 50 pitches.

Horrible to lose like that but we'll see what happens game 2 - but all of the sudden game 2 feels like their whole season now. 

So Hosmer gets the redemption that Buckner never got. Good for him. I thought of Buckner right away when Hosmer missed that ball last night. But 6 inning later, he is able to make up for it with the game winning Sac.

(Yes I know there was a game 7 back in 86, but after stewing on it, did anyone expect the Red Sox to win that game.)

Archived