Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 MLB Thread - Hot Stove Edition

MattFancy

I don't like rules being put in place because 1 guy got hurt. Utley is a **** and should be punished...but not the whole league.

I never liked that a runner can totally forget about the base and just take out the fielder. You can't barrel into a catcher anymore, why is it OK to take out a SS or second baseman? A hard slide is perfectly fine, what Utley did was more than just a hard slide.

I never liked that a runner can totally forget about the base and just take out the fielder. You can't barrel into a catcher anymore, why is it OK to take out a SS or second baseman? A hard slide is perfectly fine, what Utley did was more than just a hard slide.

yes. what utley did was way out of line. But does it happen with such frequency that a rule needs to be put in place?

yes. what utley did was way out of line. But does it happen with such frequency that a rule needs to be put in place?

Yes.

The thing is, 99% of the time, the 2B/SS is able to get out of the way. But the intent is always clear - to take out the fielder (and not to slide into the bag).

Imagine if players were able to wipe out the 1B on purpose on close plays. 

Well, it looked bad for the mets in the 2nd, but one of the things the mets have been good at this particular season was responding with runs when necessary far more often than in recent years past.  Obviously the trades had something to do with it, but this team has had great team chemistry all year, even with the recent harvey stuff since harvey normally is the emotional leader of the team it got absorbed easier.  Wright is more the veteran leader type guy, but harvey is the one that really makes them unafraid of success.  

So, some nice timely hitting came about in a game that they needed really bad with all the utley stuff.

Predictably no retaliation went on which I was happy with anyways, and that cespedes HR was pretty awesome obviously.  But, The dodgers are built for games 4 and 5, so, in my usual dejected sports fan predictions, still think they will lose these two games until I actually see it on the field.  

Now, I know citifield will be going absolutely berserk, but until the mets actually close this out against 2 of the top 3 pitchers in the majors, I'll believe it when I see it.  Matz, who is one of the guys in the fabled 2016 rotation, has no mulligan for this game, he's expected to go out and win.  I think he could, but I think the whole universe expects Kershaw to finally put it all together for once and pitch a gem. 

Both teams bats got going yesterday though, and the Dodgers middle of the lineup has been killing the mets this series already, so, ehh this game could get depressing for the mets really fast if matz isn't up to the challenge.  He did go 4-0 with a 2.27 era though in 6 starts... we'll see

I totally understand the Nats disdain for all thing Mets. Especially in light of the recent season. That said, there is something good about a team finishing 15th in payroll eliminating the #1 team in payroll in the NLDS.

Especially when there is a $194 million dollar difference in team payroll between them (and that difference is more than 28 other teams entire payrolls)

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/.

If the Nats want to keep Harper..then a harder cap is going to be needed in MLB. Otherwise, the Dodgers are just going to keep increasing their team payroll by 10% and buy everyone.

The thing that's odd about the Dodgers though, and look, they still are good enough and essentially designed to be an extremely tough out in a 5 game series so am still assuming a mets loss ultimately, but I just don't really know from a position player standpoint how they have that much money doled out. 

The only 2 guys I know of that have big contracts are Adrian obviously, and I think Carl Crawford is one of those guys with a massive contract.  I assume since Ethier is a big name he's probably up there too. 

---------------------------------

Ok so I had the top 3 figured out not counting greinke and kershaw...but then 11m to rollins, 10m to the pitcher from last night, kendrick is almost 10, and then a bunch of contracts of at least 2m or more. 

Their dead money is hilarious. 

---------------------------------

The dodgers need a real emotional leader to take them to the next level.  Not even counting the mets series, they still can/will win it. I can't see those guys winning 2 more series after this one though.  Adrian is their only "great" position player, but he's not a guy that's going to carry you emotionally. If puig hadn't taken a step back this year they might feel like a different team.  They have a bunch of good hitters, just none that really makes their team explosive. 

The dodgers need a real emotional leader to take them to the next level.  Not even counting the mets series, they still can/will win it. I can't see those guys winning 2 more series after this one though.  Adrian is their only "great" position player, but he's not a guy that's going to carry you emotionally. If puig hadn't taken a step back this year they might feel like a different team.  They have a bunch of good hitters, just none that really makes their team explosive. 

I think you're right. Justin Turner is in the middle of their order and he's a 30 year old journeyman. 

Archived