Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 MLB Thread - Hot Stove Edition

MattFancy

lol...I wish but there is 0% chance they win (or even get to) the world series. All I was hoping for was to not get swept by the dodgers and look like an outclassed joke since the mets are just as much of a joke as any other faulty team in the majors.

I fully expect a loss tonight, and then for harvey to have a "not good enough" start in his absolutely pivotal game 3, which will have the mets universe melt down and then get closed out game 4. 

ole well 

lol...I wish but there is 0% chance they win (or even get to) the world series. All I was hoping for was to not get swept by the dodgers and look like an outclassed joke since the mets are just as much of a joke as any other faulty team in the majors.

I fully expect a loss tonight, and then for harvey to have a "not good enough" start in his absolutely pivotal game 3, which will have the mets universe melt down and then get closed out game 4. 

ole well 

Wat

Great starting pitching.

Good back of the bullpen.

Decent offense.

Capable of playing small ball.

Hello, my name is Noah. I'd like to talk to you about having flowing, majestic hair, and throwing fastballs at 99 mph just for funsies.

he's great when he's on, but he's great for terrible innings too when his location is off.. he is only 23 though so it makes sense obviously

I thought that was a dirty play by Utley.

yea incredibly dirty but not that surprising since it's a "vet" and it's the "playoffs"... "tough baseball"... not much to do about it though obviously 

---------------------

Utley gave him a fractured fibula... what a ****ing ****. 

yea incredibly dirty but not that surprising since it's a "vet" and it's the "playoffs"... "tough baseball"... not much to do about it though obviously

---------------------

Utley gave him a fractured fibula... what a ****ing ****.

Utley does that all of the time. I am a very "traditional" baseball fan, I was disappointed when they changed the rule about blocking the plate (even though it is never properly enforced). But something has to be done about these take out slides. Sliding into the bag hard is one thing, it's another thing to slide a foot past the bag, like Odor and Utley have done.

The replay I saw, he didn't even touch the base and short of a written confession his intent couldn't have been more obvious.  If that's not a dirty slide, what exactly does qualify as such?  I'm not a baseball fan though so perhaps that is legal.  Seems kind of ridiculous for a sport that grinds its teeth in outrage over a batter watching a homerun ball for a split second too long to allow what I saw Utley do. 

And to add insult to injury, Utley was awarded the base because Tejada didn't touch 2nd base. Utley didn't either. Like others have said, a hard slide is one thing, what Utley did is something else. Since Tejada suffered a serious injury, I'm sure they're going to look into a new rule to protect the guy covering 2nd base trying to turn a double play.

And yeah, I'll be SHOCKED if Utley doesn't get one in the back on Monday.

I don't think that's right. His head hit the left leg and the right one is the one that's reportedly injured.

Oh, I thought it was his left.

Time for some film breakdown - yeah it is his right. I had to freeze-frame and go shot to shot from the left field camera angle. His right leg does get caught between Utley's legs and turned while planted.

Harvey better not retaliate, because he will just get ejected.  

It's just crazy how much that dirty ass play changed things.  Sure, the play doesn't get talked about as much if Tejada isn't injured, but the call would still be discussed today since the ruling of it itself is also a talking point.  If that double play is counted as made, mets are still up 2-1 in that game.  And, the reason for protection in that case is the possibility of injuries, so yea, of course ****-ley wasn't trying to injure the player, but it's the odds of plays like that leading to injuries that have the rules like that in place.

So, the only consolation prize from the loss is that I think the mets might play with more fire.  Not that they necessarily weren't before, but damn there isn't a met on that team that doesn't want to bury the dodgers now. Still can totally see them folding however if they get too reckless and lose focus. 

Before last night I didn't have too much feeling for the dodgers, just thought they were boring.  Now I hate them and probably will forever

---------------

Utley is suspended for games 3 and 4.

It's a good thing he is because it takes the whole retaliation stuff out of the equation since the  "unwritten rules" wouldn't be enacted due to the Dodgers being inevitably protected by the eventual pregame warnings that would/will ensue for the rest of this series.

I didn't want Harvey to retaliate before, and now I really don't want him to because then he'll get himself ejected for no reason.

That quick suspension by MLB makes me think that play (and I am hoping into any bag including 3rd) will be taken out of baseball next year (and really it should be). 

That's not hard baseball. That's intent to injure. Every single time. 

Also - I doubt the suspension gets enforced. I fully expect Utley to appeal and win.

#BeatLA

That quick suspension by MLB makes me think that play (and I am hoping into any bag including 3rd) will be taken out of baseball next year (and really it should be). 

That's not hard baseball. That's intent to injure. Every single time. 

Also - I doubt the suspension gets enforced. I fully expect Utley to appeal and win.

#BeatLA

Here is my issue with enforcing a new rule: it'll be another subjective rule change that is completely unclear on exactly how to enforce. Umps already have no idea how to enforce the blocking the plate rule--this is going to end up the same way. The NFL is gotten so bad with these subjective player safety rules that no one has any idea what to call--how, exactly, is a defenseless receiver defined?

MLB does need to take out what Utley and Odor did, but they need to make it clear and concise--unlike the catcher safety rule.

Baseball has subjective rules to begin with thought.

Vicinity play on double plays and check swings (which by rule, do not actually exist). I don't think you will get rid of the hard slides altogeher, but you will get rid of the ones where the sole purpose is to take the guy out (like the Utley slide) and the Cousins slide into Posey at home a few years back. 

Also..like I thought. Utley to play today while he appeals. This should get ugly fast.

Archived