Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 MLB Thread - Hot Stove Edition

MattFancy

Assuming the mets didn't make it, a Blue Jays/Cubs world series would be one of the most fun to watch since I've been watching baseball.  A ton of great hitting with just enough pitching sprinkled in.  And both teams that aren't automatically hateable except by specific fanbases etc.  Although the opposite end of the spectrum like Yankees / Phillies was fun too. 

Royals Dodgers would be quite boring in my opinion.  Although they both have top 5 jerseys in my personal preference. 

come to think of it, I don't think there's ever been a final 4 (5 with mets and dodgers not sorted out yet) that all had medium blue hues as their main team color. Not that it matters just an observation

The people complaining about Bautista's bat flip are everything that is wrong with sports. You don't like it? Throw a better pitch. You're a grown man. You do that in Little League - bush league. 

MY problem with what Bautista did is he's a grade A hypocrite. He whines like a 4 year old anytime he feels like someone showed him or the Bjs up. so he acts like this? He's a baby. good baseball player? yes. But that doesn't mean he can't be that AND a **** too.

I can't stop watching this

*bat flip video*

As an O's fan, I'm obviously not a fan of Bautista. 

But this...right here...was one of the most bad*** things I've EVER seen in a baseball game. 

Flat out amazing.  What a moment. 

I've always been partial to this one.  But then again, I don't hate Bonds.

bonds-piro.gif

That's the best game I've seen since 1993.

Jose Bautista with a bat flip for the ages.

Yeah I agree.  Btw, Joe Carter had no problem with the flip. 

Joe Carter, who hit the biggest home run in Blue Jays postseason history -- a game-ending, World Series-winning blast in 1993 against the Philadelphia Phillies in Game 6 -- tweeted Thursday that there's nothing wrong with bat flips in the postseason. Carter was responding to a debate over Bautista's flip on ESPN Radio's Mike & Mike program. 

When I was a kid, I was such a baseball nerd that I actually read the rule book. And there is a lot of fun stuff in it.

But I'll be honest - I did not know that rule about hitting the batter nor have I ever seen it happen. Is anyone willing to brag about knowing that rule?

I knew it, but only because I played catcher.

I always made sure that the batter was out of my way before I threw the ball back. Really, the batter doesn't have to move (as long as he's in the batter box). Ever.  

Never seen it happen in a MLB game though.

I knew it, but only because I played catcher.

I always made sure that the batter was out of my way before I threw the ball back. Really, the batter doesn't have to move. Ever.  

I guess because we just spent 20 years of everyone doing a Nomar after every pitch, you forget that.

A few months ago, I watched a replay of a game from the 75 Series and it's alarming how quickly the pitchers work. At worst, a hitter would occasionally place one foot out of the batter's box.

MY problem with what Bautista did is he's a grade A hypocrite. He whines like a 4 year old anytime he feels like someone showed him or the Bjs up. so he acts like this? He's a baby. good baseball player? yes. But that doesn't mean he can't be that AND a **** too.

Trust me...I completely understand the animosity towards Bautista.  He's got a rep. 

However, in that moment last night, his emotions got the best of him and I'm not the slightest bit mad what he did after the HR. 

That being said...he's gonna have a target on his back big time.  Not talking about beaning, but you best believe, that the Royals etc. will do their best to show up the Jays pitchers. 

Nomar was the worst at wasting time between pitches. Glove. Glove. Adjust. Adjust. Glove. Glove. Tick. Tick. Glove. Adjust. Practice Swing. Practice Swing. Glove. Glove. 

Ugh. 

MLB realized how bad it has gotten and made some moves to shorten it. Too me, they could go further in in (like they have done in the minors)..but we'll see if we ever get back to the land of 2:30-2:40 games.

If my team were playing the Blue Jays, I'd probably be pissed. But whatever. That bat flip was funny as hell. Especially after what happened before.

To be honest, both games last night were pretty awesome to somebody who doesn't care the outcome. It had drama. Now tonight, I'd love a LA blowout of the Mets. Which means that ain't happening. 

Can someone give me a short answer as to why pitchers are allowed to flex, scream, and otherwise act like idiots but a bat flip is "showing someone up"?

To Bautista, that is showing someone up. Hell, the pitcher looking in his general direction after a strikeout is showing him up. Look, I don't care if he flips his bat, but that comes off as hypocrisy when he is the biggest baby on the field at times.

Rictus is right about what is being perceived. I don't agree with it. If Bautista, if he was a giant unwritten rules guy, then he needs to keep his mouth shut about complaining what a pitcher does.

It's ok for a pitcher to show excitement after getting out of an inning. It's ok to flip the bat after a monster HR. Its ok for a hitter to give his bench some sort of sign after a big hit. The only thing I am sick of is Umps who act like jerks because the way the pitcher is looking at him, or a batter showing frustrating. Dude, check your calls percentage to see how off you are before puffing out that protected chest. 

Rictus is right about what is being perceived. I don't agree with it. If Bautista, if he was a giant unwritten rules guy, then he needs to keep his mouth shut about complaining what a pitcher does.

I'm on board with this as well. If it were Pillar doing a bat flip like that, I wouldn't think twice about it. It was an amazing homerun at a time in which it smashed the balance of the game. But Bautista always whines about being "disrespected" when pitchers pump their fist at getting him out. He takes getting hit personally, which has led to additional incidents. He's a douche. 

Damn fine hit, though. 

Archived