Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The old guy with a big beard on that A&E show about a bunch of guys who make duck calls got fired (surprise! un-fired!)

Springfield

how about this?

There are way more important things to worry about than this. Let's feed the homeless and poor year round. Let's donate to charities all year. Let's boycott a TV show! Let's kick a man off a TV show because he quoted the bible! Several things don't fit here...

They don't want to offend their main customer base and they have a lot of progay shows, but they need their cashcow so they are walking a fine line.

Just because you're quoting the bible, doesn't mean it's not offensive either. It's just a book to a lot of people, not a law of the people.

I would just change the channel, because I don't like what they're saying. Of course, if I was watching anything and they started offending people or quoting the bible, I'd turn it off too.

I agree. I don't think A&E should have kicked him off. You can't tell me A&E was shocked to hear his thoughts on the matter. If anything, people should've raised more hell over what he said about black people.

maybe. But who are we to say he's lying about what he experienced as a child. Sometimes interviewers lead the witness. I think its common knowledge about what blacks went through in those times. But it doesn't mean what he related isn't true or how he remembers it.

They don't want to offend their main customer base and they have a lot of progay shows, but they need their cashcow so they are walking a fine line.

Just because you're quoting the bible, doesn't mean it's not offensive either. It's just a book to a lot of people, not a law of the people.

I would just change the channel, because I don't like what they're saying. Of course, if I was watching anything and they started offending people or quoting the bible, I'd turn it off too.

I totally understand it. My point was that people just want to be polarized and outraged on both sides and it's really ridiculous. Instead, now both sides hate each other even more.

More gay people watch A&E than black people I would assume. If DD was on BET, we wouldn't know he said anything about gays. Of course I doubt black people want to sit around watching a bunch of old racist, homophobic, biblebeating hillbillies shooting ducks.

My last boss is from Florida and black, but grew up with all white people and lived just like the DD guys. It's his favorite show. ols

maybe. But who are we to say he's lying about what he experienced as a child. Sometimes interviewers lead the witness. I think its common knowledge about what blacks went through in those times. But it doesn't mean what he related isn't true or how he remembers it.
I totally understand it. My point was that people just want to be polarized and outraged on both sides and it's really ridiculous. Instead, now both sides hate each other even more.

Oh, I completely agree with that.

I had just heard about this late yesterday afternoon and couldn't believe this picked up this much coverage.

As much as I disagree with Robertson's 'slippery slope' of gays/pedophiles/beastiality, to be fair, he was ASKED a question. It's not like he got on a soapbox and started targeting insults on his own accord. Is it A&E's right to suspend him? Sure is...but I'm sure they will face backlash from the Duck supporters as well.

Last night, I was flipping channels and ended up on Hannity for a chuckle. The way he and Palin framed this story was almost as if A&E had no right to do what they did to this family. I was just thinking to myself "The only reason anybody knows this family is because A&E pay them millions to be on a TV show...Hannity is getting upset over a TV show." It was mind blowing.

Surprisingly, Jon Stewart also took the opinion of disagreeing with suspending Phil (admitting that the right to say ridiculous things on TV keeps him employed), but offered a rebuttal... basically saying that the 'right' being up in arms over the 'word police' is hypocritical due to the fact that they themselves get bent out of shape for using the word 'holiday' instead of 'Christmas'.

The whole damn thing is ridiculous. Is anybody REALLY surprised that an elderly backwoods dude living in the south holds these views?

Who is surprised? It's becoming increasingly unpopular to publicly voice bigoted view points. Are we selective about it? Sure. But so are all the "Christian values" groups who specifically promote anti-gay legislation while ignoring every other biblical sin. Muslims, abortion and gay marriage are the holy trinity of the social conservative movement.

IF this idiot had simply come out and said "I believe in the bible and do not condone homosexuality", this wouldn't be happening. But instead, dumbass had to equate it to ****ing your pet hamster and is now rightfully facing backlash.

I for one am glad that you can no longer hide behind the Bible and say ridiculous things and get away with it. At the same time, it's increasingly pathetic that shows like Duck Dynasty and Kardashians have an audience. I had no idea it was the highest rated cable show in the history of the US. That's mind blowing.

how about this?

There are way more important things to worry about than this. Let's feed the homeless and poor year round. Let's donate to charities all year. Let's boycott a TV show! Let's kick a man off a TV show because he quoted the bible! Several things don't fit here...

He didn't get booted for quoting the Bible.

Eh, I understand the uproar but I don't get why anyone is surprised.  Frankly, I thought the part where he asserted that black people in the Jim Crow south were happy as pie was more offensive.

"When you was slaves, you sang like birds."  :)

But overall more than anything, this is a prime example of the free market in action./

Star says something, people read it and express concern.

Sponsors get nervous.

A&E decides that it's more important to keep sponsors than to defend comments, suspends redneck.

Right wing explodes.

This could have been done by a Hollywood liberal type guy who infiltrated the A&E to promote his homosexual agenda ;) ;)

Still, even in this case the person in charge fired the employee, so that's still free market.

IF this idiot had simply come out and said "I believe in the bible and do not condone homosexuality", this wouldn't be happening. But instead, dumbass had to equate it to ****ing your pet hamster and is now rightfully facing backlash.

This.

He went way over the top for me. And yeah I am against Homosexuality and whatnot, but dude when was over the top.

Also, I talked to some of my gay friends, and they don't agree what he said, but didn't think he should get fired for it. One of them told me it's the classic mountain out of a molehill, he really couldn't care any less about the whole ordeal.

I agree. I don't think A&E should have kicked him off. You can't tell me A&E was shocked to hear his thoughts on the matter. If anything, people should've raised more hell over what he said about black people.

I believe it is the male prostitute who was maligned most severely.  

I don't think they should've kicked him off either.  I let the sponsors make the decision and then just react to that, if I'm a network exec.

Here is an idea - if you are a man who is against men having sex with men, then do not have sex with men.

Don't want gay marriage? Don't gay marry.

Who came up with the idea that laws of our secular government should reflect somebody's religious values?

Taliban nuts want the governments law to reflect gods law. Great company to be in.

"When you was slaves, you sang like birds."  :)

"De Camptown Ladies?"

What is the show about? Is it just about Duck Hunting?

It is 5 attention whores doing staged monkey tricks and passing it off as reality, all the while constantly quoting the bible

It is a lot like the Kardashians, except for born agains.

Isn't the whole point of having some stupid show about uneducated in-breds a train wreck style fascination with knowing they'll always end up saying something incredibly stupid?

Used to be there were history shows on the history channel ( though admittedly 98% of them were about WWII). Now it's all "reality" shows about inbred subhumans, bad roads, and people to stupid to use eBay.

Isn't the whole point of having some stupid show about uneducated in-breds a train wreck style fascination with knowing they'll always end up saying something incredibly stupid?

Used to be there were history shows on the history channel ( though admittedly 98% of them were about WWII). Now it's all "reality" shows about inbred subhumans, bad roads, and people to stupid to use eBay.

You have to admit Gold Rush is pretty awesome. Watching Todd Hoffman consistently stepping on his own crank never gets old

I think what I'm offended by here is that this guy is really ****ing stupid, but probably makes more money off this show than I'll make in a lifetime. 

"For the sake of the Gospel, it was worth it," he says of doing the reality show. "All you have to do is look at any society where there is no Jesus. I'll give you four: Nazis, no Jesus. Look at their record. Uh, Shintos? They started this thing in Pearl Harbor. Any Jesus among them? None. Communists? None. Islamists? Zero. That's 80 years of ideologies that have popped up where no Jesus was allowed among those four groups. Just look at the records as far as murder goes among those four groups."

"Murders by Nazis, Shintos, Commies, and Islamists - 80 years of No Jesus" by Phil Robertson -- I hope this is printed someday, along with the "records" proving it. 

With all the derogatory stuff that Bill Maher has said about christianity in the past years, I am surprise he is still on the air.

Eh, on second thought, I'm not surprise.

I don't know if Maher's stuff is the same kind of derogatory... But it seems our society generally reacts stronger to some forms of bigotry over others.

Personally, I am fully open to criticizing belief systems and less open to criticizing peoples biological constitutions.

I also think this is an important and necessary fight against religion-driven bigotry. I tend to view this whole thing as a net positive, even if it smells a bit of provocation.

An executive over-reacts because he or she fears losing money.

~Bang

Interesting factoid :  Phil Robertson played football in college and was actually offered an NFL contract by the Redskins in the 1970's.   He turned it down because evidently he said it interfered with duck hunting season.   Phil is also the guy who started the family business which made all those guys wealthy,  making duck calls.  Phil worked alone for about 20 years building the business before he turned it over to his son Jase to run.

Yeah I think the Producers of Duck Dynasty and A&E had an entirely different motivation for acting that was removed from financial concerns.    If you know what I mean.  

Personally I think those concerns are probable the very best reasons for fire somebody from such a show.

It will be interesting to watch because I don't think Phil is the only Robertson who holds these controversial views.

Archived