Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The old guy with a big beard on that A&E show about a bunch of guys who make duck calls got fired (surprise! un-fired!)

Springfield

Yes that is the rationalization that is used by some who wish to have the bible be literal - but only in the way they want it to be.   I never found it compelling, myself.  

Seeing the bible as part history, part metaphor and part revealed truth, and thus focusing only on Jesus's core message always seemed to make more sense to me.

Those aren't mutually exclusive.   The question is are old testiment condemnations still in effect or did Jesus create a new covenent...

There are anti homosexual clauses in the old testiment..  The old testiment will pretty much condemn you to death for whearing a polo shirt with wool trousers though...

or is there enought in the new testiment to justify the religious rights jihad against gay folks...  I don't think there is.

Most Americans casually equate homosexuality and bestiality?   

If by equate you mean consider both sexual sins of equal consequence....yes a majority of the religious do.

ya lose of few with women with women though  :rolleyes:  :)

Isn't the whole point of having some stupid show about uneducated in-breds a train wreck style fascination with knowing they'll always end up saying something incredibly stupid?

Used to be there were history shows on the history channel ( though admittedly 98% of them were about WWII). Now it's all "reality" shows about inbred subhumans, bad roads, and people to stupid to use eBay.

You do realize Robertson has a Master's degree and had a multimillion dollar business before the A&E show, right?

I think A&E needs them more than they need A&E. They will still be rich and still run their business and be happy hunting. A&E has to tread carefully, these guys are not people like the real housewives of ATL, who need the money to fund their over the top lifestyle or they will go broke. They have money and they won't be broke. A&E has no leverage over them.

If by equate you mean consider both sexual sins of equal consequence....yes a majority of the religious do.

ya lose of few with women with women though  :rolleyes:  :)

Yep. "Equal consequence" is key. He is talking about religious consequence, not a personal basis.

I am a lib. I am not a Christian. However, Duckman didn't equate gay people to folks involved with beastiality.

Why aren't any dudes getting upset that he mentioned men who go from woman to woman to woman in the same breath as rapists? I'm sure many of us have had partners in short periods of time...

With all the derogatory stuff that Bill Maher has said about christianity in the past years, I am surprise he is still on the air.

Eh, on second thought, I'm not surprise.

Bill Maher says it on a pay channel (HBO), huge difference than on a cable channel.  People actually pay separately and extra for HBO, Showtime, etc.  And for all those saying they can't believe it was the highest rated show, that was on cable, not the standard channels/local channels.  Overall, its not even in the top 10 weekly.  NCIS is #1 overall (a lot of weeks).  

Anyhow, idiot should have just kept his opinions/beliefs to himself.  He didn't have to elaborate.  And he's not a stupid man, he actually played college football and has a BS and Masters degree and was a school teacher until they started the family business up.  Also, didn't know this, but the Washington Redskins offered him a contract in the 70s and he turned it down because it interfered with duck hunting season.

Guy got what he deserved.  And nobody is going to boycott the show, because they said he was already in 9 of the 10 season five episodes.  People will watch it like the sheep they are.  Dumb show if you ask me, not very funny at all.  At least not enough to keep me coming back week after week.

It wouldn't surprise me if they were in cahoots with A&E and they told him to go over the top.  Think about it, all this goes down right before Christmas.  DVD box sales, etc.  more publicity for the next season that will air next year, etc.

LOL. No judgments in this post. Sad, this is where we are currently at in our culture. I'm not siding with the few Christians who DO come off as judgmental, but for some reason it's often acceptable to stereotype and make fun of Christians as a whole?

It's not acceptable and it's not actually accepted.

Just keep in mind that criticizing belief systems is not the same as criticizing people who hold them.

Where was this conservative uproar a few months back when Alec Baldwin's show got cancelled on MSNBC because of his anti-gay outburst?

:D  

I keed. I keed. 

BTW - aren't MNF on ESPN  and Thursday night football on NFL the highest rated cable shows? And after that, I think the Walking Dead ranks 3rd for the year. 

Where was this conservative uproar a few months back when Alec Baldwin's show got cancelled on MSNBC because of his anti-gay outburst?

Interesting you equate the two, one being a answer to a interview question and the other being a bigot mouthing off.

the Duck Dude loves him some gay

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2013/12/20/phil-robertson-quote-media-not-reporting

Baldwin is just a turd

actually JMS you are WRONG... Again. Romans 1 (quoted in the very thread) condemns homosexual behavior as the product of idolatry.

Romans 1 condemns lustful behavior and abondoning your natural inclinations, which can include homosexuality.

And Paul also thought that people should try and be celibate so Paul's idea of lustful behavior probably isn't something that would be accepted by most modern Christians.

I wonder if duck man thinks it is better to be celibate than married?

I keed. I keed. 

BTW - aren't MNF on ESPN  and Thursday night football on NFL the highest rated cable shows? And after that, I think the Walking Dead ranks 3rd for the year. 

Walking Dead isn't even top 10. Its the Dallas Vs Chicago at #1, SD Vs DEN #2, Duck Dynasty Chrismas special, then Sons of anarchy.

Interesting you equate the two, one being a answer to a interview question and the other being a bigot mouthing off.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2013/12/20/phil-robertson-quote-media-not-reporting

Baldwin is just a turd

Here comes the conservative spin and this one gets a 1/10 on the scale of trying. That's just lazy twa.

Yep. "Equal consequence" is key. He is talking about religious consequence, not a personal basis.

I am a lib. I am not a Christian. However, Duckman didn't equate gay people to folks involved with beastiality.

Why aren't any dudes getting upset that he mentioned men who go from woman to woman to woman in the same breath as rapists? I'm sure many of us have had partners in short periods of time...

He's using the same old conservative argument of slippery slope that if homosexuality is ok then so are those other things. It's forever been a bull**** argument, just now that people are starting to criticize it openly.

Basically, in my opinion what is happening is that people are frustrated that they can no longer use the Bible to justify saying stupid things. Dumb statements have always had consequences. We have simply expanded the rules on what is dumb or not.

Romans 1 condemns lustful behavior and abondoning your natural inclinations, which can include homosexuality.

And Paul also thought that people should try and be celibate so Paul's idea of lustful behavior probably isn't something that would be accepted by most modern Christians.

I wond if duck man thinks it is better to be celibate than married?

Since we are playing bible sourcing. ;) ...and scripture to support  homosexuality as a natural inclination?

You could probably find it as part of our sin nature.

didn't Paul also delineate between doctrine and his own thoughts on celibacy?

I'm not even sure it's totally accurate, what he's saying here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Nazi_Germany

I mean yes, Hitler was actively planning to stamp out Christianity and had taken some steps to do so, but never got close to completing it, and a majority of Germans still identified as Christian in some form.  He's sort of right here, but I still don't think completely accurate.

Indeed. And I get that the guy was successful before the show, but I cannot help thinking "stupid" when I see a quote like that and the guy genuinely believes it. 

Here comes the conservative spin and this one gets a 1/10 on the scale of trying. That's just lazy twa.

He's using the same old conservative argument of slippery slope that if homosexuality is ok then so are those other things. It's forever been a bull**** argument, just now that people are starting to criticize it openly.

Basically, in my opinion what is happening is that people are frustrated that they can no longer use the Bible to justify saying stupid things. Dumb statements have always had consequences. We have simply expanded the rules on what is dumb or not.

No. he is saying they are all wrong....do you see any reason to equate Baldwin and this dude?

Baldwin is just a turd

Do you actually use that website for information? Serious question. I've heard of Andrew Breitbart but not the site. That article reads like a high schooler's last second submission for class -- I really think one sentence could replace the entire article.

"I am angry that 'the media' did not include the qualifier 'I'm not racist, but...' before going on a diatribe about black people." 

Watching this conversation unfold on the internet has reaffirmed my belief that our Constitution and founding fathers really got it right. Lots of people are **** heads and if it wasn't for our secular tradition of equal protection under the law, the US would be a hell hole like Afghanistan. Thank you Thomas Jefferson.

Archived