Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The old guy with a big beard on that A&E show about a bunch of guys who make duck calls got fired (surprise! un-fired!)

Springfield

I don't know if Maher's stuff is the same kind of derogatory... But it seems our society generally reacts stronger to some forms of bigotry over others.

Personally, I am fully open to criticizing belief systems and less open to criticizing peoples biological constitutions.

I also think this is an important and necessary fight against religion-driven bigotry. I tend to view this whole thing as a net positive, even if it smells a bit of provocation.

Since the atheists are organizing they will be deemed a religious group and officially join the bigot league.  :lol:

oh and Maher is nothing but a shock jock. 

Nowadays most celebs should just keep their mouths shut when it comes to Pets, Gays and Jews. The wrong answer pretty much buries your career. If i were a big time star I would just keep my beliefs to myself.

Or you can just be smart and answer truthfully and respectfully...

"I think there are [gay players] right now, and if they're looking for a window to just come out, I mean, now is the window," said Griffin, who is recovering from offseason knee surgery. "My view on it is, yes, I am a Christian, but to each his own. You do what you want to do. If some Christians want to look at being gay as a sin, then thinking about other women, committing adultery—or any of those other sins that are in the Bible—those are sins, too. And God looks at all of us the same way." - Robert Griffin III

Of course when he said it, it was kind of a big deal, but it wasn't that big of a deal because he answered it peacefully and it was honest.

So, I've read the original article... 

Which part is the bad part we should be outraged at? Where does he do the gay bashing?

Edit: Just to be clear, not defending him. Don't know him. Never watched the show. Just confused. 

Exactly. He was DIRECTLY ASKED, "what do you think is a sin?" Are you kidding me????? The interviewer knew exactly the type of question he was asking. Why does a secular magazine even ask that? Anyways, Christians don't make this stuff up. If you base your faith on the Bible then you can see that it is pretty clear about this topic. I'm sure for some there is a sad personal vendetta against gay people but in reality it SHOULDN'T be personal. I have nothing personal against gay people. My beliefs happen to be Biblically-based. I know from personal study that the Bible states that homosexual "behavior" is a sin. It also says NOTHING about being hateful, condemning, judgmental, etc.

I'm agnostic on this. Beardo should be allowed to say whatever he damn well pleases. A&E should be able to figure out if Beardo's words cost them money in the long run.

I would probably let it go; mainly, because I'm not sure these kind of all-out assaults on individual statements is necessary in the gay rights movement right now. All this ultimately does is galvanize the few remaining folks who agree with Beardo.

Well, I'm not going to say he compared them but he sort of used the slippery slope argument. I can see why some on the other side took it the way they did, which is their right. Just like it was his right to say what he said.

Their show is a big deal on A&E, so when you say something like he said you cant be surprised that the company has to protect itself against public backlash.

The show is actually a huge deal not just on A&E but on TV.   It's like the #1 rated cable reality show..   It's rated the 21 most popular show on all of TV.   Duck Dynasty is so big that the reality sitcom attracted more viewers this past season than all but the top 3 scripted comedies on television.

And again,  Phili is a small part of the show.   He's like the comic relief of the show.   He started and ran the company for many years but today he really just hunts and stops by to socialize with his boys who are the focus of the shows.  

Isn't the whole point of having some stupid show about uneducated in-breds a train wreck style fascination with knowing they'll always end up saying something incredibly stupid?

Used to be there were history shows on the history channel ( though admittedly 98% of them were about WWII). Now it's all "reality" shows about inbred subhumans, bad roads, and people to stupid to use eBay.

LOL. No judgments in this post. Sad, this is where we are currently at in our culture. I'm not siding with the few Christians who DO come off as judgmental, but for some reason it's often acceptable to stereotype and make fun of Christians as a whole?

Nowadays most celebs should just keep their mouths shut when it comes to Pets, Gays and Jews. The wrong answer pretty much buries your career. If i were a big time star I would just keep my beliefs to myself.

Well I think you can pretty much say whatever you like..   But if you conduct hate speech you probable should ensure that one of the folks you are hating on isn't signing your check.....   Hell Duck Dynasty is so sucessful, I don't think most networks would have reacted over this.

They probable would have just concouled him.   A&E's problem is phil is a guy who speaks his mind and this isn't the first time he's done this.  Also the rest of the Robertson family share phils opinions.   They all attend the same church.   So If A&E didn't want this very sucessful show to devolve into their worst nightmare they had to take a hard stand and set an example..

A&E didn't cancel the show;  A&E just fired a minor support cast member..    If A&E did cancel the show,  there is no doubt another network would pick it up.   It's a very sucessful show.

As a confessionally Reformed Christian (most would probably label me a conservative) I am extremely confused by the outrage.  He said what he said and people can react how they want to.

What really confuses me is how worked up conservative Christians are about this issue.

A few weeks ago a mega church pastor was caught plagiarizing in at least four of his books.  No one cared.  This same guy endorsed someone who DENIED THE TRINITY (the central tenant of orthodox Christianity).  No one cared.

In 2010 it was discovered that a seminary president, after 9-11, fabricated his "testimony" to exaggerate his Muslim upbringing to profit from the events of 9-11.  He repeatedly (there is video evidence) lied about when he came to America, faked speaking Arabic, and said that he was trained to be a terrorist.  Evidence shows that he was a typical American immigrant who was raised near Columbus, Ohio with his "hippy" mother.  His father was Muslim but he didn't live with him.  Two weeks ago, this liar who has not repented, was made the president of a Christian university.  Again, NO ONE CARES.

"Christian" TV is a joke.  The "preachers" on there are hypocrites, liars, and Bible twisters stealing from people.  Again, NO ONE CARES!

Until we take care of terrible, public issues like this, we have no business getting upset that Phil Robertson was suspended from his TV show.  I am a fan of Duck Dynasty.  Phil Robertson doesn't want to be heavily involved with the show anymore anyway.  Let it go and start worrying about wolves who are fleecing the flock.

On another note, here is my prediction on how it all plays out: They strike a deal with A&E to end the show.  It comes back under another name as a streaming exclusive with Netflix or Amazon when one of the two drives up to their houses with a dump truck full of money.

I think what I'm offended by here is that this guy is really ****ing stupid, but probably makes more money off this show than I'll make in a lifetime. 

"For the sake of the Gospel, it was worth it," he says of doing the reality show. "All you have to do is look at any society where there is no Jesus. I'll give you four: Nazis, no Jesus. Look at their record. Uh, Shintos? They started this thing in Pearl Harbor. Any Jesus among them? None. Communists? None. Islamists? Zero. That's 80 years of ideologies that have popped up where no Jesus was allowed among those four groups. Just look at the records as far as murder goes among those four groups."

"Murders by Nazis, Shintos, Commies, and Islamists - 80 years of No Jesus" by Phil Robertson -- I hope this is printed someday, along with the "records" proving it. 

I'm not even sure it's totally accurate, what he's saying here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Nazi_Germany

I mean yes, Hitler was actively planning to stamp out Christianity and had taken some steps to do so, but never got close to completing it, and a majority of Germans still identified as Christian in some form.  He's sort of right here, but I still don't think completely accurate.

Anyways, Christians don't make this stuff up. If you base your faith on the Bible then you can see that it is pretty clear about this topic.

Actually they pretty much do make it up...   Jesus never once condemned gay people in the bible...  and their is exactly one instance of speak against Gay people in the New testiment and it's equated with steeling, drinking too much,  infidelity,  sex out of marriage,  or masterbation..   and it was written by Paul a person who never met Jesus  decades after Jesus died.

Paul the Aposle wrote in the First Epistle to the Corinthians

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,  Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Yet the evangelicals only come down on the "effeminate".....

Now where are several passages in the old testiment... leviticus..  but eating shellfish and playing football (touching pig skins) are condemned equally in the same passages and the evangelicals don't have anything to say about these things....

That show is the number one rated cable show of all time in the US.  A&E needs duck dynasty more than duck dynasty needs A&E.

Not really.   If Duck Dynasty never aired another episode, the world would still go on.

It's entertainment, take it or leave it, change the channel.   

Now where are several passages in the old testiment... leviticus..  but eating shellfish and playing football (touching pig skins) are condemned equally in the same passages and the evangelicals don't have anything to say about these things either....

Acts 10 removes the "clean/unclean" designation.  That is why they aren't upset about the eating of shellfish and the playing of football.

LOL. No judgments in this post. Sad, this is where we are currently at in our culture. I'm not siding with the few Christians who DO come off as judgmental, but for some reason it's often acceptable to stereotype and make fun of Christians as a whole?

LOL.  No judgements in this post. 

Observing that the person you're attacking did not say one single thing about Christians.  As a whole or otherwise. 

Now, if you wanted to leap to the defense of those people stereotyping redneck hicks, then you probably would have had a good point. 

This is a great topic. It brings up some interesting points. If this guy can get suspended over comments then is it not illegal to fire a gay person over their feelings if expressed in the work place. (not fired because you're gay but fires for talking about it) Also like people said earlier the 1st amendment protects people from not being sent to jail not making people like what you say. So then can the lbgt community be upset if people don't agree with what they have to say? So if some idiot makes some stupid comment yes no one has to like that comment so can the other side make a comment and not get upset if other people don't like it?

I don't watch duck dynasty I hate reality tv and I'm not religious but I like this topic.

Actually they pretty much do make it up...   Jesus never once condemned gay people in the bible...  and their is exactly one instance of speak against Gay people in the New testiment and it's equated with steeling, drinking too much,  infidelity,  sex out of marriage,  or masterbation..   and it was written by Paul a person who never met Jesus  decades after Jesus died.

Yet the evangelicals only come down on the "effeminate".....

Now where are several passages in the old testiment... leviticus..  but eating shellfish and playing football (touching pig skins) are condemned equally in the same passages and the evangelicals don't have anything to say about these things....

actually JMS you are WRONG... Again. Romans 1 (quoted in the very thread) condemns homosexual behavior as the product of idolatry.

And Phil was wrong in what he said. Other sins don't come from homosexuality, they come from idolatry. All sin traces it's origin in removing God from his proper place in our lives.

Acts 10 removes the "clean/unclean" designation.  That is why they aren't upset about the eating of shellfish and the playing of football.

I'm sorry Leviticus is a train wreck.  

I always thought  Jesus created a new covenent which replaced the old testiment with the new testiment.

Luke 22:19-20

And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.

In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.

This topic is so hot, in my sophomore English class in college I had an openly gay professor. No one cared that she was she was gay she was a great professor and a very fun person but I kid you not we spent half the semester reviewing the bible and had to write papers on how the bible does not say anything bad about being gay. So it was like she was just trying to justify herself. No one cared that she was gay she was awesome but we wasted so much time and no one learned the proper ways to use sources and formats and resources and reading literature like we should of been doing.

I guess using the bible to preach your ignorance and hate isn't viewed as either Arts or Entertainment these days.

Freedom of Speech doesn't equate to freedom of repercussion.

One of my best friends is a Goat. He's the only goat here and lives with a bunch of sheep (oil and water) and pigs and 2 donkeys. It gets lonely at the farm, we talk a lot. I've known guys I might mess around with, but I would never bang that goat.

I'm sorry Leviticus is a train wreck.  

I always thought  Jesus created a new covenent which replaced the old testiment with the new testiment.

Yes that is the rationalization that is used by some who wish to have the bible be literal - but only in the way they want it to be.   I never found it compelling, myself.  

Seeing the bible as part history, part metaphor and part revealed truth, and thus focusing only on Jesus's core message always seemed to make more sense to me.

actually JMS you are WRONG... Again. Romans 1 (quoted in the very thread) condemns homosexual behavior as the product of idolatry.

And Phil was wrong in what he said. Other sins don't come from homosexuality, they come from idolatry. All sin traces it's origin in removing God from his proper place in our lives.

Point taken.  There are several refferences in the new testiment which mention homosexuality or at least reffer to it which don't condemn it.  As I read Romans,  Homosexuality isn't condemned as a sin;  rather it's a punishment God Inflicts on people for as you say Idolitry: not glorifying God nor giving him thinks...

ROMANS 1

For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.

24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

This topic is so hot, in my sophomore English class in college I had an openly gay professor. No one cared that she was she was a great professor and a very fun person but I kid you not we spent half the semester reviewing the bible and had to write papers on how the bible does not say anything bad about being gay. So it was like she was just trying to justify herself. No one cared that she was gay she was awesome but we wasted so much time and no one learned the proper ways to use sources and formats and resources and reading literature like we should of been doing.

This is not that surprising.  When groups of people are oppressed, there will always be some who feel the need to push back and justify themselves.  

One of my gay friends once told me: "if mainstream people hadn't oppressed gays and black and women forever and ever, the world not only would have been a better place all along, but we wouldn't have to put up with annoying preachy professors of LGBT, gender or ethnic studies today.  It would have been a win-win."    :)

Archived