Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The old guy with a big beard on that A&E show about a bunch of guys who make duck calls got fired (surprise! un-fired!)

Springfield

Multiple ironies here....

Irony 1) Fans are planning on boycotting the show until he returns. LOL I mean seriously, how friggin stupid are these people?

Irony 2)  Recently, I found a Facebook group page for a local tea party group that wanted to remove a chapter on the history of islam because they said it whitewashed the religion. Then they tried to say they were not trying to censor the book, they were just trying to make it fair because the chapter was bigger than the one on christianity.... because their children evidently don't have enough knowledge of the religion they practice at home. Of course I called them on it in their forum... before I was blocked. :) But strangely one woman I was debating wanted to friend me on Facebook. I thought wth why not and accepted, so now I see her posts and her tea bagging friends replies. So guess what their hot topic is.... LOL. 

I have two thoughts on the matter. First, it isn't a first amendment issue and it makes me want to pull my hair out every time I see someone say that "they're just standing up for his first amendment rights". Nobody is suggesting he should go to jail so stfu about the first amendment. The first amendment doesn't guarantee that people have to like everything you say.

Second, A&E can chose to associate with (employ) whomever they want (save race and gender). Are the pro-business conservatives who are up-in-arms over this suggesting that A&E should not be allowed to hire and fire as they see fit?

A point I made to the woman I posted about above. It flew right over her head. 

I am not saying their shouldn't be outrage about what he said so don't twist this. What he said is bad and if he's fired, good. It's not like I'd watch that crap anyway and frankly people need to stop with the gay bashing. It is a civil rights issue and its time we got past this garbage as a people. 

So, I've read the original article... 

Which part is the bad part we should be outraged at? Where does he do the gay bashing?

Edit: Just to be clear, not defending him. Don't know him. Never watched the show. Just confused. 

The only thing that annoys me about all of this is how selective we are about what bad behavior results in outrage. He doesn't like gays... Get him the hell off of the TV. If he cheated on his wife, ignored his kids, ran around in a drunken rage, and otherwise spread misery? He'd get a second show and a raise. If he dressed his kids up for beauty pageants that AT BEST are deeply disturbing he'd enjoy tremendous success as a reality "star". But he can't say hateful things about group X.

Seriously, people should be outraged about the freaking Kardashians if they're outraged at anything on reality tv.

Not sure what the big deal is, he pretty much said I don't agree with the homosexual lifestyle and pretty much said what the bible says that all sins are equal. Then said he respected them and it was gods job to sort them out. Kind of sad he gets blasted for his personal opinion. I find it funny that the gay community is not even their target demographic and they are kowtowing like this. 

Like someone else said I am starting to get tired of GLAAD and other similar groups telling me what is acceptable and what to think. Promote your agenda, but stop trying to pretend you speak for all Americans.

A&E is perfectly within their right to suspend him, but They kind of shot themselves in the foot on this one.  A&E is about to feel the real negative impact. 

very good article, but I think he's a bit naive about "standing up" and the reaction it receives.

This is pretty much how I feel http://www.russellmoore.com/2013/12/18/duck-dynasty/#more-14598

And it's not a 1st Amendment issue. And you can quote me, a Southern Baptist deacon.

I'm a big Duck Dynasty fan. I'm also a gay marriage supporter. Was what he said smart? No, not at all. Was it a shock that he's against gay marriage? No, not at all. If you've watched 1 second of that show, you already knew was his stance would be. Why the question was even asked, I'm not really sure.

My problem is that there are SOOOOO many other things for people in the country to worry about and we're hung up on a what a guy from Louisiana said about gay marriage.

We want our stars and athletes to b forthcoming in interviews and when they do, we bash them for saying stuff. There's plenty other causes for these people to take up than #IStandWithPhil. Go do something productive with your life.

In all honesty, I don't think Phil cares one bit about the controversy. Dude prolly woke up yesterday and went hunting. I don't think he cares he has a million likes on a Facebook page or is trending on Twitter.

I love and respect you, but your natural preference to have relations with a consenting adult of the same sex is pretty much the same as raping a goat.

Also, god loves you but you're going to hell.

I don't care about ducks or tv channels but I'm happy to have this fight for civil rights and reason against dogma and bigotry.

This is comedy in it's finest.

Mostly the people who are screeching about this are on the right side of the aisle.

The fact some people do seem to think this is a 'free speech' issue is another indictment of our education, and explains why ignorance culture is so popular on television.

But overall more than anything, this is a prime example of the free market in action./

Star says something, people read it and express concern.

Sponsors get nervous.

A&E decides that it's more important to keep sponsors than to defend comments, suspends redneck.

Right wing explodes.

Why do you hate America and our free market economy?

This is practically a pristine example of it in action, and you don't like it?

No wonder the Tea Partiers and other idiot groups have no respect for your intelligence. They don't see any evidence of it.. you don't even realize that THIS situation is a manifestation of probably the FIRST plank in the REAL conservative's platform.

Instead you're all in a tizzy over these neo-forms of conservatism that want to deal with social issues.

NO NO NO.

the MARKET deals with social issues.

Just like it is RIGHT NOW.

~Bang

Actually, my assumption (based, I'll grant, on total ignorance. But why let that stop me?), is that this is an example of some executive vastly overreacting.*

Oh, darn. The show might lose a segment of the "gay redneck duck hunter" demographic.

*Unless it's an example of a manufactured publicity stunt. Look how many people who had never heard of the stupid thing, and wouldn't have got within shotgun range of it, if they had heard about it, who are now talking about it.

An executive over-reacts because he or she fears losing money.

Once something becomes mainstream thought it is no longer simple "Political Correctness".

Amos and Andy.. pretty much the same thing. Once perfectly acceptable on TV until social norms changed and now it's not acceptable.

~Bang

I don't particularly care either way. I am of the mindset that it's not about political correctness, but respecting others. I prefer to keep my opinions to myself when it comes to issues such as this.

I find it funny that society is outraged about some guy getting booted from a television show. Meanwhile there are far more serious issues we should be outraged about.

Actually, my assumption (based, I'll grant, on total ignorance. But why let that stop me?), is that this is an example of some executive vastly overreacting.*

GQ needed a ratings boost and the Duck dude needed a platform, the gay lobby needed donations and A&E needed leverage for the next season contract

we needed something to distract us from the is Santa white issue.

everyone wins except the goat ****ers....and they are too distracted to be outraged.

I don't particularly care either way. I am of the mindset that it's not about political correctness, but respecting others. I prefer to keep my opinions to myself when it comes to issues such as this.

I find it funny that society is outraged about some guy getting booted from a television show. Meanwhile there are far more serious issues we should be outraged about.

My point exactly! There are way more important things to worry about than this. Let's feed the homeless and poor during the holidays. Let's donate to charities this time of the year. Let's boycott a TV show! Something doesn't fit here...

My point exactly! There are way more important things to worry about than this. Let's feed the homeless and poor during the holidays. Let's donate to charities this time of the year. Let's boycott a TV show! Something doesn't fit here...

how about this?

There are way more important things to worry about than this. Let's feed the homeless and poor year round. Let's donate to charities all year. Let's boycott a TV show! Let's kick a man off a TV show because he quoted the bible! Several things don't fit here...

how about this?

There are way more important things to worry about than this. Let's feed the homeless and poor year round. Let's donate to charities all year. Let's boycott a TV show! Let's kick a man off a TV show because he quoted the bible! Several things don't fit here...

I agree. I don't think A&E should have kicked him off. You can't tell me A&E was shocked to hear his thoughts on the matter. If anything, people should've raised more hell over what he said about black people.

Archived